PDA

View Full Version : changing the address of wesbsite

RODNEYMULLEN
10-07-2008, 03:33 PM
I think they're gonna change offspring.com to theoffspring.com because of this.
This is and email i got from theoffspring.com

Hey guys, the band have said to us that they now want the domain -
TheOffspring.com, so for now, we are going to be on a temporary domain - TheOffspringDotCom.com
As a result of the change, some sections of the website are currently down, but should all be sorted shortly!

Little_Miss_1565
10-07-2008, 04:15 PM
TheOffspringDotCom.com...I kinda like it!

But that doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to change offspring.com to theoffspring.com -- it's very common for bands (and brands) to own domains for many different variations of their name, even if they're only using one.

Cock Joke
10-07-2008, 04:53 PM
It would be interesting if that was what they were doing, considering they went through that site redesign a few months ago.

Tijs
10-07-2008, 04:55 PM
it's very common for bands (and brands) to own domains for many different variations of their name, even if they're only using one.

Like The Offspring already do, we collected them all in a list a while ago. These are the ones I remember:

Offspring.com
www.offspring.com
www.stuffismessedup.com
www.shitisfuckedup.com
www.riseandfallrageandgrace.com

Offspring Nation (yes, it still exists)
www.offspringnation.com
www.originalprankster.com
www.conspiracyofone.com

Cock Joke
10-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Why in the world would they need so many domains that lead to one site? Holy fuck!

randman21
10-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Well, when I first got into the Offspring, I went to theoffspring.com, and it took me hours before I realized that I wasn't on the official site. They'd use them to cover the array of possibilities that users might put in.

Another example:

Expedia controls the domains expedia.com, expedia.org, and expedia.net

Ryder1234
10-07-2008, 07:26 PM
I only went to theoffspring.com because during the time I was a lurker on this forums, someone said Noodles was on the other site's shoutbox (theoffspring.com's). In my excitement after reading it, it went over to theoffspring.com and was like "Omfg is Noodles on here!?!?!?". Except I forgot to check when the person who posted here had posted at, turns out it was like 2 months earlier :p. Then I had a conversation with someone there for about 3 hours, talking about nothing really. :D

Blackball_
10-08-2008, 05:52 AM
Like The Offspring already do, we collected them all in a list a while ago. These are the ones I remember:

Offspring.com
www.offspring.com
www.stuffismessedup.com
www.shitisfuckedup.com
www.riseandfallrageandgrace.com

Offspring Nation (yes, it still exists)
www.offspringnation.com
www.originalprankster.com
www.conspiracyofone.com

and kfuk.com! just to complete the set....

its strange that theoffspring.com is going to change hands.. those guys have ran it for 10 years. you would think if they had kept hold of it this long, they would have kept it forever..

Tijs
10-08-2008, 05:56 AM
and kfuk.com! just to complete the set....
That was a couple years ago, wasn't it? It isn't anymore.

its strange that theoffspring.com is going to change hands.. those guys have ran it for 10 years. you would think if they had kept hold of it this long, they would have kept it forever..I think that the band was always nice enough to let them keep that domain, but they probably have the rights to 'take over' that domain.

Blackball_
10-08-2008, 07:14 AM
if they had rights, they would have taken it first time.

or maybe the guys that owned theoffspring.com realised nobody was going to pay their ridiclous ransom for it :rolleyes:

Little_Miss_1565
10-08-2008, 09:48 AM
if they had rights, they would have taken it first time.

Not necessarily. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean you will or should do it. I have the right to ban anyone on the forums, but if I did that, it would create a backlash. If I remember someone from here (Tijs? Oxy?) saying correctly, the band's management asked for approval on certain things showing up on theoffspring.com in exchange for letting them keep the domain, but after 10 years I'd think it's about time for the band to own the domain.

Slash95
12-16-2008, 06:32 PM
well thats everything agreed and signed, so the transfer will be done shortly

Bipolar Bear
12-16-2008, 10:40 PM
I actually thought theoffspring.com was the official site at first it was really
confusing. I'm glad the situation can get rectified! xP Thank you, owners
of theoffspring.com for your comprehension you rock xD

Rutegard
12-17-2008, 02:39 AM
I actually thought theoffspring.com was the official site at first it was really
confusing. I'm glad the situation can get rectified! xP Thank you, owners
of theoffspring.com for your comprehension you rock xD

yes it happened to me too. i also thought theoffspring.com was the official site. so i guess that probably this happens to lot of other fans right?, specially those who aren't as big as we are! :]

and as bipolar said, im glad this went so well so everyone!!