PDA

View Full Version : Town hall presidential debate

Little_Miss_1565
10-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Anyone else watching this?

Live debate drinking game: http://www.twitter.com/debatedrink

I'm impressed with the candidates' ability to keep on their feet and deliver their answers direct to the audience.

Obama is my candidate, but McCain is doing a much better job at seeming personable and on the side of the "real Americans" -- it's too bad that Palin is insane.

randman21
10-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Whoa. That was tonight? Shit, I didn't record it and I'm about to leave.

jacknife737
10-07-2008, 06:43 PM
I enjoy the parts where they support the troops.

Little_Miss_1565
10-07-2008, 06:43 PM
It's been on for 40 minutes!

McCain is sounding more and more edgy, and kind of close-talking some audience members. Obama needs to chill the heck out.

"My friends" is this debate's "nucular."

I'm supporting the troops as I watch this! I'm crocheting a lap blanket for wheelchair-bound veterans for the holidays (soldiersangels.com).

Sunny
10-07-2008, 06:56 PM
i actually feel like mccain is being a condescending douchebag yet again. "my friends" x 14 (so far). did his campaign staffers tell him to try to be more personable?

i don't think Obama's doing particularly great today, but he's a shining star of glory next to that assclown.

Little_Miss_1565
10-07-2008, 07:01 PM
They're showing this in the UK? Why can I only see Prime Minister's Question Time sometimes on CSPAN?

nieh
10-07-2008, 07:04 PM
They're showing this in the UK? Why can I only see Prime Minister's Question Time sometimes on CSPAN?

Because America is more important, duh.

Sunny
10-07-2008, 07:04 PM
yep.

CNN and BBC are both broadcasting it live. weo!

Little_Miss_1565
10-07-2008, 07:13 PM
I really do need to put some stamps in my passport (then I'll be qualified to be vice president!).

EDIT: Tom has totally lost control of this debate. Gloves are off! FIIIIIIIGHT

Sunny
10-07-2008, 07:22 PM
hey, i've lived in 3 countries, and you can see Russia from TWO of them! how's that for foreign policy experience! ;D

putin rearing his ugly head - i see u! >:O

That_Guy91
10-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I turned it on with the volume really low and at first I thought it was a presidential rap battle.

Little_Miss_1565
10-07-2008, 07:46 PM
I turned it on with the volume really low and at first I thought it was a presidential rap battle.

What was the reaction to the debate on Main St., Paptown?

IamSam
10-07-2008, 07:51 PM
I laughed when Brokaw said "yes or no answer." The question really couldn't be answered with a yes or no, but it just made me laugh anyway.

hshduppsnt
10-07-2008, 07:51 PM
EDIT: Tom has totally lost control of this debate. Gloves are off! FIIIIIIIGHT

I thought that was amusing, especially when he simply gave up and was like fine, each of you gets another response go ahead...

on topic, (i'll try to keep my biased opinion under control here as to specific points at the moment) I don't think McCain did the job he needed to do tonight. I'll be very interested to see if he can repair the complete damage in the last debate but in most situations, I think he simply didn't do enough given he is behind in the polls.

As for what I want or specific topics, I'll let other people bring that up and discuss, because I'm a pretty staunch democrat (especially in economic terms), obama supporter, and was particularly interested in some of the foreign policy answers given I am American (born and raised) but Iranian (1st generation of family not born in Iran - definitely raised as an Iranian though)... so I'm always particularly interested in such answers.

EDIT: follow up point and I'd really like an answer I don't mean this to be any sort of attack so I apologize if it comes off that way but I'm watching CNN right now and hearing an independent say he still hasn't heard much different and doesn't know what to do and I wonder at this point, since I feel like both candidates are fairly defined, what an individual like that is actually hoping to hear and thus wondering what the differences are. I can see being unclear because the answers are muddled exactly on how things work, but I feel like on a big scale both of them are fairly defined in what they want, so maybe someone can help me out here (I've asked a few friends and they've just said they haven't heard details/answers they like from either... but they also agree that they probably won't hear it and need to just pick who they think is more likely to follow through on the plans most similar to their own desires)

Little_Miss_1565
10-07-2008, 08:43 PM
I think they're quite starkly different in their views, and I'm inclined to feel that those who don't see that aren't paying attention. McCain is a good man but he does not support my views.

jacknife737
10-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I think they're quite starkly different in their views, and I'm inclined to feel that those who don't see that aren't paying attention. McCain is a good man but he does not support my views.

I agree, the people the i know/ often hear criticizing the two candidates for having "similar views" are often either communists or libertarians, so naturally in their point of view the candidates are going to have similar views; even though to the rest of us, there are noticeable differences.

hshduppsnt
10-07-2008, 08:58 PM
well ok that's what I'm seeing too, generally from "republicans" that are more realistically not actually very republican...

but the thing I don't get is for example the thing CNN did where they had 25 undecideds rate how they felt. From what I felt, generally, it seemed they preferred obama's answers, and by a lot, but then, at the end of the night, 14 of them said if they had to choose they'd vote for McCain, despite the ratings showing they consistently preferred obama's answers. Obviously this isn't a fullproof way of figuring out what they are really thinking sure but... this is the feeling I get from undecideds...

you are undecided right now then you haven't really been paying attention, or are in a situation where you are say, fiscally conservative and socially liberal or something, but even then, you probably lean more to one than the other, and so, you have a decision...

I don't know... I'm not understanding it... of course I attribute part of it being my own opinions... but still... I'd be curious to hear more reasons...

XYlophonetreeZ
10-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Round 1: Obama. I thought he showed, as he has in the past, that he has a better grasp on the economy than McCain. He gave an excellent answer to the healthcare question, while McCain mischaracterized Obama's plan and didn't really answer the question himself. It was interesting when Obama said AIG execs should be fired, though. Wasn't it kind of an issue when Biden said that a couple weeks ago and Obama disagreed? Anyway, McCain spent too much of this portion on "zomg he'll raiz ur taxes" attacks," danced around questions, made blunt and empty statements like "I KNOW HOW to fix the economy" and "I have the record," and offered few solutions of his own.

Round 2: Obama. It wasn't his strongest performance; he danced around some questions and seemed uncharacteristically longwinded and rambling. However, McCain's performance in the foreign policy segment was even weaker. He continued to talk about the war in the same old "win/lose" rhetoric. And how can he still say that Obama has never admitted the surge was successful? He did in the last debate, for God's sake. And the thing about the "bomb Iran" song being a joke with an old veteran friend? Total lie. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zoPgv_nYg)

Round 3: McCain. Here I'm just referring to stuff like the last few questions and that retarded closing question, but Obama was extremely longwinded, didn't answer the questions, and seemed uncomfortable. McCain started the debate dodging all the questions, and Obama ended it doing the same. It's a shame that such a stupid and vague question had to end the debate, because people will probably remember it more, and Obama stumbled a bit over it. That said, all the polls I've seen thus far say Obama won, even most conservative pundits are saying that McCain didn't perform as well as he needed to, so maybe I'm needlessly worried.

jacknife737
10-08-2008, 11:44 AM
So Galloup (probably the most reliable polling company, imo, they even include cellphone users) has Obama up by 11 points. 52-41% lead of John McCain; he is starting to pull away.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/111040/Gallup-Daily-Obamas-Lead-Over-McCain-Expands.aspx

IamSam
10-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm starting to get really pissed that McCain keeps bringing up earmarks as being a huge problem. There are bigger goddamn fish to fry than that.

Little_Miss_1565
10-08-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm starting to get really pissed that McCain keeps bringing up earmarks as being a huge problem. There are bigger goddamn fish to fry than that.

Yes, and besides that, they're making special interests and earmarks such a priority and Gov. Palin's hands are far from clean in the biggest earmark political scandal, namely the bridge to nowhere. The bridge may not have been built, but her administration didn't exactly give the money back.

IamSam
10-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Yes, and besides that, they're making special interests and earmarks such a priority and Gov. Palin's hands are far from clean in the biggest earmark political scandal, namely the bridge to nowhere. The bridge may not have been built, but her administration didn't exactly give the money back.

Exactly. Has Obama not said anything about this?

On a small sidenote, I received my absentee ballot today!:o

XYlophonetreeZ
10-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Not to mention, the road that led to the bridge was built, and was also federally funded.