PDA

View Full Version : Mild heart attack (dogs)

KHWHD
10-11-2008, 11:43 AM
I just wondered if anyone that owns a dog, has your dog ever had a mild heart attack? Or has an enlarged heart? I'm really upset because my parents dog (Luckie - I call him Bud) had a mild heart attack on Thursday night. He's 14 and is a pure bred shih-tzu. My Mom was home (Dad was at work) and said he just went limp and wasn't responding to her voice when she was talking to him until she yelled his name a couple of times then he snapped out of whatever kind of trance he was in. My parents took him to the vet. last night and did x-rays and did blood work. That's when they diagnosed him with an enlarged heart and said he had a mild heart attack. He's on 2 different medications now. 1 for his heart and 1 for his breathing.

Does anyone have any idea how serious this is and how long after something like this happens do they have to live? I'm so upset and afraid for him. He's like my little brother and love him to death. And I'm so worried about my Mom cause he is everything to her. :( Thanks.

Sofinch
10-11-2008, 12:03 PM
I wish I could help you
but I don't have any idea
my dog that I have now [Lady] is 6 years old
but my previous dog [Kitti] died on cancer
Sorry that I can't help you but I wish you and your parents a lot of strength

Sunny
10-11-2008, 12:31 PM
that really sucks, Shank.

my wolfhound suffered from an enlarged heart for the last couple of years of his life. it's a pretty common affliction for that breed. however, he lived to a ripe old age (for a wolfhound, that is)... and it wasn't the ailment that killed him, either. his quality of life wasn't affected by it, really.

what did your vet say?

Rutegard
10-11-2008, 12:42 PM
never had that experience...

can't help ya out...but talk to more than one vet if you have the chance...

KHWHD
10-11-2008, 12:57 PM
that really sucks, Shank.

my wolfhound suffered from an enlarged heart for the last couple of years of his life. it's a pretty common affliction for that breed. however, he lived to a ripe old age (for a wolfhound, that is)... and it wasn't the ailment that killed him, either. his quality of life wasn't affected by it, really.

what did your vet say?

Mom said she was afraid to ask her how much longer he has to live. All I know is that it cost $459.00 for the visit. The vet told them not to leave him alone for a couple of days because of the new meds that he's on. They popped by here a bit earlier with him. He looked pretty good considering the circumstances I guess. I just pray that when he does go, that'll it'll be quick and painless or in his sleep. :(