PDA

View Full Version : Mike Burkett(NOFX) talks of The Offspring

RonWelty
10-11-2008, 03:03 PM
http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/multiarticlesub.aspx?csid1=79&csid2=9&fid1=1004

"1994
Punk In Drublic is the band’s best work to date, eventually selling 1.1 million copies worldwide. That same year, Green Day and the Offspring explode into the mainstream. “It bugged us that the Offspring got big for about three or four months,” Mike remembers. “Not Green Day. But we had just taken the Offspring on tour, and they were so mediocre that we just thought it was weird.” While both Green Day and the Offspring receive massive support from radio and MTV, NOFX simply opts out. “We made the ‘Leave It Alone’ video, and we decided not to send it to MTV. We just didn’t want to be a part of that machine, of that ‘punk wave.’ I think it’s one of the best decisions we’ve ever made. Dexter Holland from the Offspring once told me he envied our career, because they never got any respect in the music business,” explains Mike. The band’s decision to not support MTV is not without its difficulties. “They said they were going to play the No Use For A Name video [for ‘Soulmate’], but if we weren’t going to give them a NOFX video, then forget it. That was when I really got turned off. I don’t know how happy No Use were, but I put my band before my label.” Soon after, NOFX stop doing interviews. “We ended up in some teeny bopper magazine because some guy just made up the interview,” Mike says. “We were doing so many interviews every day that we’d just start making up stories. All people wanted to talk about was Green Day. I didn’t really think it was helping our career, and we didn’t really have much to say.”

dff_punk
10-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Haha, "Mike Burkett", that is really unusual to see his name like that. Nice reading btw.

Soon after, NOFX stop doing interviews. “We ended up in some teeny bopper magazine because some guy just made up the interview,” Mike says. “We were doing so many interviews every day that we’d just start making up stories. All people wanted to talk about was Green Day. I didn’t really think it was helping our career, and we didn’t really have much to say.”

Omg, did not know that.

cool 2 hate 681
10-11-2008, 03:20 PM
It bugged us that the Offspring got big for about three or four months,” Mike remembers. “Not Green Day. But we had just taken the Offspring on tour, and they were so mediocre that we just thought it was weird.”

i know fat mike thinks the offspring suck live but nofx are one of the worst live bands ever i would love to see a interview with dexter saying something like ''when we were touring with nofx i used to wear earplugs during their set''
and see how fat mike reacts

RonWelty
10-11-2008, 03:26 PM
i know fat mike thinks the offspring suck live but nofx are one of the worst live bands ever i would love to see a interview with dexter saying something like ''when we were touring with nofx i used to wear earplugs during their set''

It´s fun, because everyone says that,maybe, the big thing of the Offspring is that they give a terrific show live...

lost_nvrfound
10-11-2008, 03:28 PM
meh... whatever... he was just jealous.

jacknife737
10-11-2008, 03:36 PM
It's Fat Mike, he always says stuff like that, in fact, i'd be more surprised if he complimented anyone. The bands have pretty good relationship with one another, let's not try and turn this into some sort of feud.

Alex101
10-11-2008, 03:52 PM

''when we were touring with nofx i used to wear earplugs during their set and see how fat mike reacts"? lol

Jaded skies
10-11-2008, 04:03 PM
I kinda agree with him. I mean he probably didnt just pull this out of his ass. I wouldnt doubt dexter said that, and i really with they would have. NOFX is by no means a bad band. In fact they're great. They just get smashed before shows too often and turn out to be that one band people just go see to see what kind of crap they'll say or what they'll do. Whicle the offspring still sound decent live, They're interaction with fans sure has gone downhill....

brothadave79
10-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Yes I'm sure the only reason that NOFX never got big like Green Day and the Offspring was because they didn't send in that one video to MTV. The fact that people wanted to talk to them only about Green Day in their interviews shows that NOFX just aren't as musically interesting. Never was a fan of theirs...

EDIT: ...and this "explanation" of Mike's about their history didn't help.

cool 2 hate 681
10-11-2008, 04:36 PM
I kinda agree with him. I mean he probably didnt just pull this out of his ass. I wouldnt doubt dexter said that, and i really with they would have. NOFX is by no means a bad band. In fact they're great. They just get smashed before shows too often and turn out to be that one band people just go see to see what kind of crap they'll say or what they'll do. Whicle the offspring still sound decent live, They're interaction with fans sure has gone downhill....

i agree that the offsprings crowd interaction is not as good as it used to be but nofx are all crowd interaction i don't know about anyone else but i go to concerts to hear music not 10 mins of talking

that being said im not trying to make anyone mad just expressing my opinion;)

rlplaymaker
10-11-2008, 05:12 PM
meh, Fat Mike is a dumbass. I always thought so. But NOFX isn't a terrible band. They're just a simple, plain, punk band. It seems that they're too afraid to admit that they sold out, too afraid to experiment and make more complex music. Plus, I hate political music.

jacknife737
10-11-2008, 05:50 PM
meh, Fat Mike is a dumbass. I always thought so. But NOFX isn't a terrible band. They're just a simple, plain, punk band. It seems that they're too afraid to admit that they sold out, too afraid to experiment and make more complex music. Plus, I hate political music.

Well, they did write The Decline, but this is getting off topic.

nameless
10-11-2008, 06:55 PM
if he was being serious about the offspring being not too good then id probbaly say he was slightly jealous as they were kind in the same boat, independent label and all!

randman21
10-11-2008, 07:20 PM
So was he saying that The Offspring/Smash is mediocre, but Green Day/Dookie isn't? Now, Dookie is one of my favorite albums of all time, (mainly due to its simplicity-to-awesomeness ratio, which is high on both sides), but the only real special thing they did there was the vocal harmonies. At least there are a lot of things on Smash I can't play.

EDIT: wa wa wa boobs

Autonomist
10-11-2008, 08:26 PM
The reason NOFX didn't get big has more to do with them being a shit band than anything else, and I promise this isn't bitterness over the jab at The Offspring. NOFX suck, always have and probably always will.

brothadave79
10-11-2008, 08:50 PM
The reason NOFX didn't get big has more to do with them being a shit band than anything else, and I promise this isn't bitterness over the jab at The Offspring. NOFX suck, always have and probably always will.

Yeah and their "zomg bush is dumb" schtick got real old, real fast. If you're going to keep playing simplistic, unmelodic music at least use switch up the message once in a while. But I digress. His statement reeks of jealousy. On the one hand the fact that he mentions how the Offspring and NOFX toured together seems to point at a "why not me?" mentality. On the other, he says that they chose relative obscurity. Mixed messages, Michael. Mixed messages.

JeromeFleur
10-11-2008, 10:51 PM
yeah, uhhhh maybe it's a dumb question to ask, but my english is not perfect, and i don't know nofx that much... but when he's talking like that about the offspring, he's probably ironic, right? it's his type of humour, i guess?

Budzy
10-12-2008, 03:40 AM
NOFX? Wtf? Does this band even exist? If they do then they must suck so bad that I've never heard of them. :D

Teach them for calling the Offspring mediocre.

medi01
10-12-2008, 04:27 AM
i have nothing against NOFX, but thats just sour grapes coz the offspring are good and popular.

i mean if you choose not to send ur vids to mtv then you can't get jealous of those who become popular because they did.

medi01
10-12-2008, 04:32 AM
NOFX? Wtf? Does this band even exist? If they do then they must suck so bad that I've never heard of them. :D

Teach them for calling the Offspring mediocre.

FAIL. NOFX are a popular punk band, just they're on they're own label and not that 'heard of'.

Budzy
10-12-2008, 05:22 AM
FAIL. NOFX are a popular punk band, just they're on they're own label and not that 'heard of'.

i know who they are. it was my attempt at a joke, because they took a stab at the offspring.

The Search Button
10-12-2008, 05:33 AM
I think NOFX is a very popular punk band, that nobody really knows about.

As for the topic. Everyone is entitled to their dumb opinions.

ThunderPX
10-12-2008, 06:22 AM
Fat Mike admits he is an asshole, last I checked.

Also, Dookie is boring.

RonWelty
10-12-2008, 06:24 AM

Also, Dookie is boring.

well said!!!

dff_punk
10-12-2008, 07:44 AM
What is with all the hatred towards NOFX on these forums all of a sudden? Has it always been here like that? Err, I mean, to me, NOFX are like the second most favorite band(after the Offspring)... confusing it is :confused:

And I do not think that NOFX and Offspring are the right example of "non-likingness" between bands. They are both just very sarcastic(imho). People need to chill out.

Ninty Man
10-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Meh... I really dislike NOFX, not for the political shit, just cause for me the band is a pain in the ass sometimes- even I like franco-unamerican or there's no fun in fundamentalism- MMM... but he said New America of Bad Religion sucks, and that's fail in life

Rutegard
10-12-2008, 10:58 AM
meh... whatever... he was just jealous.

probably :p

Also, Dookie is boring.

see? that's his humore then...

findout5
10-12-2008, 11:01 AM
The best career move he could make would be changing his name from Fat Mike to Fat Fuck. Apparently fast food is not only bad for your body, but also to the brain (as shown by him in the interview)!
NOFX are a boring band, that write about stupid stuff (at least in the 80s and 90s)...My vagina has 2 sets of lips...WTF?!?!
Oh, and I'm sure that when they made a video they didn't want airplay...does that even make sense??

Fat Mike, eat shit and die!

lost_nvrfound
10-12-2008, 11:16 AM
hahaha... I don't really have anything against them. I don't like them by any stretch of the imagination though either. I've got "I heard they suck live". Don't care for it at all.

dff_punk
10-12-2008, 11:18 AM
The best career move he could make would be changing his name from Fat Mike to Fat Fuck. Apparently fast food is not only bad for your body, but also to the brain (as shown by him in the interview)!
NOFX are a boring band, that write about stupid stuff (at least in the 80s and 90s)...My vagina has 2 sets of lips...WTF?!?!
Oh, and I'm sure that when they made a video they didn't want airplay...does that even make sense??

Fat Mike, eat shit and die!

You are funny.

randman21
10-12-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm a fan of NOFX...somewhat. More than casual, but much less than diehard. I put Punk in Drublic up there with the really good albums of that year. Although the interview didn't bother me much at all (it is all the way from 1994), I have a thing about people saying stupid stuff just for the purpose of being controversial, especially when they don't mean it (if they are in fact on good terms with the Offspring).

Jesus
10-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Most of the replies here are kinda akward. Given that Fat Mike's complaints in regard to an Offspring live show are the same as a shitload of people here have. That there setlists are usually the same for a tour and that the shows are sort of scripted (same banter between Dexter and Noodles, or the same thing every show like a Basket Case part during the Smash Tour ). He didn't understand that because they (the offspring) have such a huge back catalogue of songs and he didn't understand how that could be interesting for The Offspring themselves.

And I'm pretty sure Dexter and Noodles would disagree with the slashing of NOFX (as do I). Given that they are close friends like each others music. Fat Mike has been on stage with them, just as Noodles has played with them too.

but he said New America of Bad Religion sucks, and that's fail in life
So did 99.99% of Bad Religion fans when that album came out. Their site was a blast back then....

Jesus
10-12-2008, 12:33 PM
His statement reeks of jealousy. On the one hand the fact that he mentions how the Offspring and NOFX toured together seems to point at a "why not me?" mentality. On the other, he says that they chose relative obscurity. Mixed messages, Michael. Mixed messages.

For what it's worth the article RonWelty posted is from 2006 and it is just a bunch of things thrown together from previous interviews to create a timeline.

It's probably throw together from this interview from late 1994-1995 I think and some other:

Mucomo: So what do you think about that. Two years ago Offspring was opening up for you guys.

Fat Mike: Oh I was so jealous for a couple months. Totally. We were bummed. I was so bummed. Cause we're a better band - I think. But now, I'm really happy for them. Honest. No shit. Because I understand it. And when I listen to Offspring next to what's on the radio - next to Pearl Jam - they fucking blow Pearl Jam away. If you put the Offspring next to a lot of punk bands, they're totally average. But if you put them in the big business music scene, they fucking smoke. And that's how the music works. Some bands are great, and they're big. And some bands aren't good, and they're big. Nirvana was a band that was totally awesome, and they deserved everything, cause they were kings.

Mucomo: Do you relate better to the punk of the old days or the punk of the new days?

Fat Mike: I think the whole music industry, and punk bands, is the greatest it's ever been. I've never liked a lot of bands, and there are so many good bands coming out. You listen to the radio and you hear good songs, all the time. That's totally new.

The crowds, they're getting a little bigger because punk rock's popular. I don't care, whatever. I don't really think about it. One of our best shows, last tour, was in Oslo in front of 200 people. But it was perfect, fucking prefect. We were laughing on stage all the time because funny shit kept happening. Like the Offspring - the one thing that really bugs me about them is they play the same exact thing every night. Same jokes - they do a little Weezer, a little Green Day. In between every song he says the same thing. It makes you not a band. It makes you like a circus act, and you're performing for these people. And I don't feel that way when I'm playing. I feel like I'm just doing my songs. I'm doing my thing. I might do the same jump every night, but I'm not going to be performer for them. I'm not a show.

brothadave79
10-12-2008, 01:11 PM
^^ Well this actually makes some more sense. He is kinda saying that while they're not really a "punk" band, they're better than most mainstream music. And that punk is better than mainstream music. So therefore NOFX is better than Offspring. (Still, I think NOFX are boring.)

But I agree with his assessment of their crowd interaction. How many times are they going to tell the audience how "fucking beautiful" they are?

cool 2 hate 681
10-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Most of the replies here are kinda akward. Given that Fat Mike's complaints in regard to an Offspring live show are the same as a shitload of people here have. That there setlists are usually the same for a tour and that the shows are sort of scripted (same banter between Dexter and Noodles, or the same thing every show like a Basket Case part during the Smash Tour ).

i did not hear fat mike say that the offspring setlist are all all the same or the shows are scripted or he did not like them playing basket case i read him say they are mediocre

He didn't understand that because they (the offspring) have such a huge back catalogue of songs and he didn't understand how that could be interesting for The Offspring themselves

well they only had 3 albums then but i can see how they could have played more songs off the first 2 records

lost_nvrfound
10-12-2008, 01:18 PM
haha.. yeah... they can be a little repetitive. Though when you think about it, it makes sense to be that way. They've got a lot to keep up with and if they are changing things drastically for every show, then i'd imagine it'd get confusing really fast. I did get a good laugh at their encore bit at the show i went to. I know they do that often enough, but I've never seen em do it, so it was funny as hell to me.

I'm just waiting for a diehard creed fan to turn up here going off about the "even jesus hates creed" shirt that Dexter wore for a bunch of shows 10 years ago. Now that would be fun.

Rutegard
10-12-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm just waiting for a diehard creed fan to turn up here going off about the "even jesus hates creed" shirt that Dexter wore for a bunch of shows 10 years ago. Now that would be fun.

WHAT?!?!

that never happened?!? LOL

brothadave79
10-12-2008, 01:55 PM

Creed has no fans.

randman21
10-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Creed has no fans.
^*ahem*:o

Rutegard
10-12-2008, 02:16 PM

AHAHAHAHAHAH

u make me laugh :D

cool 2 hate 681
10-12-2008, 03:26 PM
hey fat mike get educated or get stuck in iraq

lost_nvrfound
10-12-2008, 05:30 PM

:eek:

for shame for shame... *shakes head* :D

meh... to each his own :cool:

randman21
10-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Haha, I know. It's one of my things. Since I didn't grow up on rock, when I finally got into it, I didn't have the filter that would have gotten rid of stuff like Creed.

And thanks, Rutegard. You, too :)

lost_nvrfound
10-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Haha, I know. It's one of my things. Since I didn't grow up on rock, when I finally got into it, I didn't have the filter that would have gotten rid of stuff like Creed.

And thanks, Rutegard. You, too :)

hahaha! yeah, such refined filters as mine take years of development.

RageAndLov
10-13-2008, 02:37 AM
Fat Mike: Oh I was so jealous for a couple months. Totally. We were bummed. I was so bummed.

This explains a lot why he talked so unfriendly about Offspring. But I agree with Mike. Offspring is mediocre. The shows are very similar with only a few changes if any at all. And very little interaction with the fans nowadays. Maybe the guys in Offspring are shy? :p

But members of The Offspring are friends with at least Fat Mike.
Noodles wrote this in one of his music journals:

http://offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/journal?journal=126

"I‘ve also been talking with Fat Mike from NOFX lately about getting involved with a project he‘s been working on called Punk Voter www.punkvoter.com."

The crowds, they're getting a little bigger because punk rock's popular. I don't care, whatever. I don't really think about it. One of our best shows, last tour, was in Oslo in front of 200 people. But it was perfect, fucking prefect. We were laughing on stage all the time because funny shit kept happening.

Yeah, Norway is fucking awesome!

JeromeFleur
10-13-2008, 04:42 AM
I've just got one thing to say to Fat Mike, and to all of you :

The bird is the word.

the b-b-b-b-b-bird, the bird, the bird is the word.

RonWelty
10-13-2008, 04:52 AM
I've just got one thing to say to Fat Mike, and to all of you :

The bird is the word.

the b-b-b-b-b-bird, the bird, the bird is the word.

someone is watching too much Family guy

ben123
10-13-2008, 07:03 AM
I'm a big Offspring fan. I like NOFX as well. They're great in my opinion. Mike is an asshole, yes, but they're great. And they have a really special music mostly cause of its simplicity.

But I can't disagree about not being themselves on their shows. Sometimes I could say it looks like a really bad movie scene. They have many shows during the tour. It's not about thinking out a new program every night, but it could be cool if they would be themselves on the stage a little more than now. If you have a great mood, much energy to share it with the crowd, do it. If the mood sucks and you're tired, just play the set and say "thank you". It's a lot better than saying same stuff every show. Do it like Lagwagon, like NOFX, like No Use For A Name. They are all themselves on their shows and its just so cool.

randman21
10-13-2008, 07:51 AM
The thing for me, though, is when I go to a concert, I'm not going to Yuk Yuk's, so I'm not necessarily in the mood for a standup routine. I want to hear music and mostly music. And I don't really see the correlation being mediocre and crowd interaction.

lost_nvrfound
10-13-2008, 09:14 AM
I know right! When I see a band live, all I care about is that they blow me away with bitchin tunes. I saw Van Halen, and they were trying to interact with the crowd and do bits that they've been doing for decades, and all I wanted was for them to continue shaking the foundation.

jacknife737
10-13-2008, 12:22 PM
The thing for me, though, is when I go to a concert, I'm not going to Yuk Yuk's, so I'm not necessarily in the mood for a standup routine. I want to hear music and mostly music. And I don't really see the correlation being mediocre and crowd interaction.

It's personal preference really. Sometimes when i see a band live it's cool when it's just "focus on the music" approach, ie the last time i Saw Against Me! live they hardly said a word, but crammed as much music as they could into their 1 hour 20 min setlist. It was great.

Then again, the last time I saw the Offspring, they had tons of crowd interaction, (ie Noodles and Dexter joked around with US, and even squirted us with a fire hose)

I find that interaction sometimes makes the show seem a bit more personal but then again, sometimes its just nice to get blown away by the music.

findout5
10-13-2008, 12:29 PM
someone is watching too much Family guy

You mean Full Metal Jacket! lol

RonWelty
10-13-2008, 12:45 PM
You mean Full Metal Jacket! lol

no, last Family guy episode, had that sketch, in fact, was a tribute to that song. But yeah, that song appeared too in that film.

Ninty Man
10-13-2008, 04:12 PM
I know right! When I see a band live, all I care about is that they blow me away with bitchin tunes. I saw Van Halen, and they were trying to interact with the crowd and do bits that they've been doing for decades, and all I wanted was for them to continue shaking the foundation.

MMM... do you saw Van Halen??? Roth can sing??? Will ever Haggar be back?

lost_nvrfound
10-13-2008, 08:21 PM
MMM... do you saw Van Halen??? Roth can sing??? Will ever Haggar be back?

Why would anyone want Haggar back? :p

David Lee Roth is the shit!

cool 2 hate 681
02-08-2009, 04:37 PM
sorry to bump this but i just noticed the offspring are mentioned in the nofx song Whoa On The Whoas

Tomasisko
02-08-2009, 05:28 PM
sorry to bump this but i just noticed the offspring are mentioned in the nofx song Whoa On The Whoas

Yes they are mentioned... "Between AFI and The Offspring I don't think we need anyone else to sing"

dff_punk
02-08-2009, 05:45 PM

Whoa! I thought a guy like you would have known about it years ago! :)

Ninty Man
02-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Why would anyone want Haggar back? :p

David Lee Roth is the shit!

Nah, David is lame

cool 2 hate 681
02-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Whoa! I thought a guy like you would have known about it years ago! :)

thanks i don't know why i never noticed that before :confused:

rlplaymaker
02-08-2009, 07:51 PM
It's Fat Mike, he always says stuff like that, in fact, i'd be more surprised if he complimented anyone. The bands have pretty good relationship with one another, let's not try and turn this into some sort of feud.

Yea, I was under the impression that Fat Mike and Dexter were pretty good friends. NOFX= decent, mediocre, run of the mill punk music, pretty good. But I think fat mike is a piece of shit, personally. Good musician, total d bag though.

randman21
02-08-2009, 07:53 PM
thanks i don't know why i never noticed that before :confused:
Hehe, even I knew that and I've never even heard the song. What album is it from, please?

cool 2 hate 681
02-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Hehe, even I knew that and I've never even heard the song. What album is it from, please?

45 or 46 Songs That Weren't Good Enough to Go on Our Other Records

Bipolar Bear
02-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Fat Mike's IQ is about half of Dexter's
and he's really arrogant to openly say that his band is better than another
especially when it's completely false
[nofx is shit..the music that is. I like punk, believe me, but I've never liked that band]

Little_Miss_1565
02-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Frontpeople in bands are rather arrogant. You kinda have to drink your own Kool-Aid in order to be a successful frontperson. If you don't think your band is better than everyone else's band, how the hell could you expect anyone else to feel that way? I don't agree with Fat Mike's comments that NOFX > Offspring either, but I'm not going to bag on him for being arrogant. He's a great frontman, and he ought to think his band is the best ever.

Outerspaceman21
02-08-2009, 10:59 PM
I like both bands and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

And Fat Mike is an asshole, so I'm not surprised

Autonomist
02-08-2009, 11:05 PM
I can't respect anyone who would think NOFX is the greatest band ever, even if that person is a member of NOFX themself.

Oxygene
02-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Fat Mike is full of shit:
"they were such a mediocre band"

BULLSHIT... NoFX are famous for only willing to tour with awesome bands.. at least according to their definition.

Dumb fucking hypocrite. Why would you take a "mediocre" band on tour anyway. There are hundreds and thousands of bands lining up to tour, why would you take out a shitty one?

Fucking liar.

Little_Miss_1565
02-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Serious question: Why does anyone give a fuck?

Oxygene
02-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Serious question: Why does anyone give a fuck?

Shouldn't you be Little_Miss_Nihilist... what kind of question is that? :)

Little_Miss_1565
02-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Shouldn't you be Little_Miss_Nihilist... what kind of question is that? :)

A serious one. Why is it nihilistic to not give a fuck what someone else thinks of the band? When was the last time NOFX received a platinum plaque from the RIAA or had a #1 single at radio? Why does it matter at all what he might have tos ay about the Offspring?

Oxygene
02-09-2009, 10:48 AM
A serious one. Why is it nihilistic to not give a fuck what someone else thinks of the band? When was the last time NOFX received a platinum plaque from the RIAA or had a #1 single at radio? Why does it matter at all what he might have tos ay about the Offspring?

It effects people. To me it matters because NoFX had some substance, and now it's going to shit, and it kind of upsets me. Plus I think they influence a lot of people, I don't think it's fair to put down the Offspring as being mediocre if that isn't even in-fact their honest opinion that's it.

jacknife737
02-09-2009, 11:50 AM
It effects people. To me it matters because NoFX had some substance, and now it's going to shit, and it kind of upsets me. Plus I think they influence a lot of people, I don't think it's fair to put down the Offspring as being mediocre if that isn't even in-fact their honest opinion that's it.

Dude, it was just an off-handed comment, by a guy who says things like that all the time. It's not like this made headline news around the world. Nothing to get excited over.

Omni
02-09-2009, 11:58 AM
The worst that could've happened was they lost their hardcore punk credit, which they already lost anyway in 1994 when they went mainstream. You know how those "real" punk rockers get when they see anyone living the American dream.

Bipolar Bear
02-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Such a comment about The Offspring being mediocre reflects jealousy by Fat Mike. If he really didn't give a fuck about the mainstream, and only wanted to do his thing and be a punk, he wouldn't whine like this about other bands being more succesful. That guy is a fucking moron.

I can't respect anyone who would think NOFX is the greatest band ever, even if that person is a member of NOFX themself.

I laughed because it's true.

Oxygene
02-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Dude, it was just an off-handed comment, by a guy who says things like that all the time. It's not like this made headline news around the world. Nothing to get excited over.

I still don't like the fact that someone I semi-admire can be so full of shit... even if that doesn't appeal to you :)

Little_Miss_1565
02-09-2009, 01:57 PM
I still don't like the fact that someone I semi-admire can be so full of shit... even if that doesn't appeal to you :)

The people we admire are often full of shit about one thing or another. It's part of the human existence. He's not up on a pedastal unless you put him on there, and he's not going to work to stay there if he doesn't want to be there. He made an offhand comment about the band. It wasn't even really bashing them. Just a shitty little insignificant comment.

Outerspaceman21
02-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Such a comment about The Offspring being mediocre reflects jealousy by Fat Mike. If he really didn't give a fuck about the mainstream, and only wanted to do his thing and be a punk, he wouldn't whine like this about other bands being more succesful. That guy is a fucking moron.

Thats true, too. Why else would he say it if he wasn't jealous. He's just making himself look more and more like a douchebag

Outerspaceman21
02-09-2009, 02:17 PM
And I agree with Little_Miss_1565. it's not something to make a big deal over. When I was in high school, people made fun of my taste in music all the time, saying the Offspring sucked (and a few other choice bands) and I didn't care. It was my taste in music and I'm not gonna let some asshole tell me what he thinks is good. I frankly don't give a shit anymore.

renato piquette
02-09-2009, 02:21 PM
i always thought the offspring were friends with nofx....

jacknife737
02-09-2009, 02:23 PM

They are, the even get mentioned by NOFX in the "thank you" section on a couple of their albums. Fat Mike just always says this kind of thing. He even calls out bands on his own record label; like he mentioned that the last None More Black album wasn't "punk", and what not.

Little_Miss_1565
02-09-2009, 02:41 PM

When people bring up quotes like this from other bands they're usually really old and not really relevant anymore, so they very well might be friends.

Oxygene
02-10-2009, 02:20 AM
The people we admire are often full of shit about one thing or another. It's part of the human existence. He's not up on a pedastal unless you put him on there, and he's not going to work to stay there if he doesn't want to be there. He made an offhand comment about the band. It wasn't even really bashing them. Just a shitty little insignificant comment.

It's still sux to realize what a poser he is. I sort of admired his rock against bush efforts, and had a ton of respect for NoFX. We aren't talking about U2 here, we're talking about bands who we thought had substance.

Funny Offspring never seem to disappoint me.. wonder why?

Cerberus
05-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Oh noes, Fat Mike trash talks Offspring. :eek:

"a band that is totally out of the loop right now, nobody cares about their records and they have no respect in the industry."

http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/story.cfm?content=169592

RonWelty
05-28-2009, 08:20 AM

"a band that is totally out of the loop right now, nobody cares about their records and they have no respect in the industry."
http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/story.cfm?content=169592FUCK HIM! Stupid ass hole.
Well, I guess RAFRAG sold out a lot more in the first 2 weeks than their newest piece of shit in 10 or 20 years...

Oh, and yes, It's his fucking band that it's recording a new album with a multiawarded producer in one of the major record labels... Oh, and YES, NOFX has for sure a song last year with a record of most time on 1st place @ Modern Rock Chart...
DEXTER HOLLAND, HAVE SOME PRIDE AND START TO DO TRASH TALK ABOUT THEM! If you can't beat them being polite, You have to be as bad as them.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/_assets/daily/nofx_lrg.jpg Fucking Junkies!

Free?
05-28-2009, 08:25 AM

Well, duh, exaggerate much, Fat Mike?

EDIT:
Well, duh, exaggerate much, RonWelty?

Dexter_italy
05-28-2009, 09:07 AM
I see how The Offspring aren't in the "punk cirlce" anymore (pennywise, nofx, no use for a name, lagwagon ecc) they got big, and now they aren't as big as before, but that does not give him the right to spit on 'em. The last 2 nofx album are just shit.... they've lost their groove too... And in live they're are maybe more energic, but the Offspring are way better at playing they're song, you can actually understand what they're doing..
The Offspring at least don't try to repeat the same album every 2 years....

RonWelty
05-28-2009, 09:36 AM
Well, duh, exaggerate much, Fat Mike?

EDIT:
Well, duh, exaggerate much, RonWelty?

You never exaggerate when you're defending THE OFFSPRING :D

sneedo83
05-28-2009, 10:27 AM
This guy is such a douche.

brothadave79
05-28-2009, 10:39 AM
I just asked a friend, "do you think NOFX are more respected than the Offspring in the record business?" and they responded, "Who's No Effects?"

RonWelty
05-28-2009, 11:06 AM
i just asked a friend, "do you think nofx are more respected than the offspring in the record business?" and they responded, "who's no effects?"

biggest laugh ever :d

jacknife737
05-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Now, there Mike goes again, running his mouth.

I will concede a few points to him though; Nofx's popularity has been relatively consistent over the past 15 years or so, while Green Day's and the Offspring's have varied considerably. For example; in 2004, during the Splinter Tour; in Toronto the Offspring played the exact same venue that Nofx did the following year, and NOFX managed to sell it out two nights in a row. Now the Offspring is playing an Amphitheatre. And although it is admittedly undeserved, the Offspring have struggled at times to achieve critical acclaim.

That said; a band that manages to debut top 10 in the Billboard 200, and get 4 singles charting (one of which hits #1) after 20+ years as a band, is hardly 'out of the loup'.

As much as I love Fat Mike at times; he can be a pretty big douche.

RonWelty
05-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Now, there Mike goes again, running his mouth.

I will concede a few points to him though; Nofx's popularity has maintained relatively consistent over the past 15 years or so, while Green Day's and the Offspring's have varied considerably. For example; in 2004, during the Splinter Tour; in Toronto the Offspring played the exact same venue that Nofx did the following year, and NOFX managed to sell it out two nights in a row. Now the Offspring is playing an Amphitheatre. And although it is admittedly undeserved, the Offspring have struggled at times to achieve critical acclaim.

That said; a band that manages to debut top 10 in the Billboard 200, and get 4 singles charting (one of which hits #1) after 20+ years as a band, is hardly 'out of the loup'.

As much as I love Fat Mike at times; he can be a pretty big douche.

Playing an amphitheatre is "lower" than playing in that venue? just curious. Thanks ;)

brothadave79
05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Playing an amphitheatre is "lower" than playing in that venue? just curious. Thanks ;)

Truth. The amphitheater I recently saw them at had something like 25,000 tickets sold. Granted, there were 5 other bands or so there, but the Offspring were the headliners along with the legendary ZZ Top. Point being the Offspring are still very relevant and can still entertain a large crowd. Perhaps they are cut out of their "punk loop" of a dozen years ago, but they are still big names in the alt-rock industry.

randman21
05-28-2009, 11:54 AM
He was speaking to the inconsistency of their popularity. In 2004, they played that mystery venue, which I imagine is relatively small, and now they're playing an amphitheater. Heh, unless I'm wrong.

jacknife737
05-28-2009, 12:03 PM
He was speaking to the inconsistency of their popularity. In 2004, they played that mystery venue, which I imagine is relatively small, and now they're playing an amphitheater. Heh, unless I'm wrong.

This.

I suppose I could have been a little clearer.

The 2004 venue (the Kool Haus) held about 2500 people or so. Before that, during the C01 tour they played an indoor arena (19000 capacity). And now they're playing the ampitheater that holds around 16 000.

RonWelty
05-28-2009, 12:21 PM
Even Dexter Admits Offspring is like an alternative rock band.

cool 2 hate 681
05-28-2009, 02:55 PM

what a asshole the same could be said for nofx and their shitty album coaster

findout5
05-28-2009, 03:19 PM
As much as FM wants to play out to be relevant or important, he's bound to come out as a MF!

Offspring are a more relevant band than NOFX since 1994. Thet sell more records than NOFX and play to larger audiences ALL OVER THE PLANET. Period!

Has The Offspring popularity declined? YES, it has! So fucking what?

mrXniick
05-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Why won't Dexter respond and talk trash right back at NOFX? I believe he has explained it well enough before...

Head over heels I've fit in before,
now, I don't want to do it no more.
I've held it all in with blood on my face,
built it up man so bad you can taste.

I don't slag no one,
I don't even judge.
Don't give a shit cause I'm not gonna budge.
I just want to be who I want to be,
Guess that's hard for others to see.

I'm not a trendy asshole.
I do what I want,
I do what I feel like.
I don't give a fuck if it's good enough for you.
Cause I'm alive.

Smash is the way you feel all alone,
like an outcast you're out on your own.
Smash is the way you deal with your life,
like an outcast you're smashing your strife.

guess that's hard for the others to see.

I do what I want,
I do what I feel like.
'Cause I'm alive.

guess that's hard for the others to see.

I do what I want,
I do what I feel like.

I do what I want,
I do what I feel like.
I don't give a fuck if it's good enough for you,
'Cause I'm alive.
I am alive.
I am alive.
I am alive.

cool 2 hate 681
05-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Why won't Dexter respond and talk trash right back at NOFX?

because that's what he wants fat mike is a loser who has nothing better to do then talk shit on more successful bands

mrXniick
05-28-2009, 11:59 PM
because that's what he wants fat mike is a loser who has nothing better to do then talk shit on more successful bands

Thats the point I was making. It was a rhetorical question

Outerspaceman21
05-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Also, maybe because Dexter doesn't do that kind of crap.

RonWelty
05-29-2009, 02:15 AM
Also, maybe because Dexter doesn't do that kind of crap.

And Because of that we all love him dearly.

Free?
05-29-2009, 02:33 AM
And Because of that we all love him dearly.

Yes we do. But some of us want him to stop being like that and to be loved less...

DEXTER HOLLAND, HAVE SOME PRIDE AND START TO DO TRASH TALK ABOUT THEM! If you can't beat them being polite, You have to be as bad as them.

:rolleyes:*whistle*

People, I don't see it as big tragedy as some of you put it like, there's absolutely no need to pick a fight on every possibility, also using "Coaster is shit" argument is lame because it's not. Obviously, Mike wasn't right about what he said, he was actually defending his own position and justifying not going mainstream back in 94 with Offspring and Green Day in that silly-ugly manner because he felt vulnerable at that moment. Still, I think they're rather friendly to each other than enemies and all our theories are what a bunch of fans think.

Be like Dexter, don't go panic mode that easily. :cool:

findout5
05-29-2009, 03:33 AM
Dexter Holland has more talent in one of his toenail clippings than Fat Mike has in his entire fat body.

Also, I'm sure Rancid, The Offspring and Green Day must really look back, on the successfull world tours and millions of records sales and go "Man, we should've gone the NOFX way...no MTV videos! Our career could've been so much better!".

Also, NOFX is not Fugazi in the music biz! And I've never EVER seen Fugazi trash another band! That's one of the other things that make them great!

Oxygene
05-29-2009, 04:59 AM
Fat Mike is really pissed off he didn't let MTV get his music videos back in 94... read through the lines, he's trying to reassure himself he made the right decision when it was infact the wrong one. Back before that punk explosion it was impossible to imagine an underground band becoming big and not becoming a corporate puppet show... he was just too fucking stupid to see how it was gonna play out. Dexter wasn't.

Fat Mike is jealous, leave him be in his misery. He knows he'll never get a chance like that again and he's sucking the big one.. also with his anti bush thing, how green day cashed in on it with american idiot, because it was a broader observation and a great sounding simple record. He's pissed off about that too.. cmon
Bottom line, he's like 40 and isn't rich. That's his problem.

randman21
05-29-2009, 05:05 AM
Still, I think they're rather friendly to each other than enemies and all our theories are what a bunch of fans think.

That's the thing that really bugs me about it. I wouldn't something like that about anyone I'm remotely cool with. If they disliked each other, then, fine. But it feels like he's just trolling to get some kind of controversy/publicity going.

RonWelty
05-29-2009, 05:06 AM
Yes we do. But some of us want him to stop being like that and to be loved less...

:rolleyes:*whistle*

People, I don't see it as big tragedy as some of you put it like, there's absolutely no need to pick a fight on every possibility, also using "Coaster is shit" argument is lame because it's not. Obviously, Mike wasn't right about what he said, he was actually defending his own position and justifying not going mainstream back in 94 with Offspring and Green Day in that silly-ugly manner because he felt vulnerable at that moment. Still, I think they're rather friendly to each other than enemies and all our theories are what a bunch of fans think.

Be like Dexter, don't go panic mode that easily. :cool: yeah, but If i was him I would do the same shit. Lucky you, he's not like me.

Now that I am thinking about this that Dexter's sentence that "Nofx went with the easy way. They decided to stay out of radio" or something, Well not nice too...

@OXYGENE: I bet FAT M. has his own share of money...

jacknife737
05-29-2009, 11:14 AM
The thing with Fat Mike, is that he does this kind of thing all the time. He even talks shit about band's on his own record lable, for fucks sake (ie he claimed the last None More Black LP "wasn't even punk", and there are countless other examples). It's best not to get upset over.

Bottom line, he's like 40 and isn't rich. That's his problem.

Considering he just sold his home for 5 million, i doubt he "isn't poor" either.
http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlines/punk-mogul-fat-mike-sells-sf-mansion-5-million/

Oxygene
05-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Considering he just sold his home for 5 million, i doubt he "isn't poor" either.
http://www.thedailyswarm.com/headlines/punk-mogul-fat-mike-sells-sf-mansion-5-million/

Yeah I bet he sold it, 'cause he has too much money

brothadave79
05-29-2009, 12:09 PM

Cause he wanted a BIGGER house! lulz.

randman21
05-29-2009, 05:38 PM
i doubt he "isn't poor" either.

I think you've just said he's poor, heh! Anyway, that other part brings me comfort. So he's just an equal opportunity asshole then.

Well, he has 5 million dollars now.