PDA

View Full Version : Cup Cakes vs Muffins

Camilamazed
10-11-2008, 05:27 PM
One of my host kids asked me for help to prepare cup cakes for her mom's birthday. We went to the grocery store, bought some mix, sprinkles and icing.

I helped her through the process. Later, when they were done, they looked like cup cakes. But one of the other host kids noticed that the box said Muffins. So, I basiclly made cup cakes out of muffin mix and was made fun of.

But what the hell, I can see no distinction between cup cakes and muffins.

How do you guys differentiate them?

:confused:

KHWHD
10-11-2008, 05:43 PM
I always thought cupcakes were smaller than muffins.

randman21
10-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Yeah, same here. And I prefer muffins, but the difference is not enough to be made fun of, I wouldn't think.

Camilamazed
10-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Really.. I can't tell the difference.

=S

Sunny
10-11-2008, 06:22 PM
cupcakes have frosting and are more desserty. muffins are more of a breakfast food. at least, in my neck of the woods...

come out swinging
10-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Both are good to eat. There is only one way to eat a muffin tho, take the top off and eat it last or eat the top of it first. :D:D Thats the best part of a muffin.

Cupcakes can get messy especially when you frost them.:eek:

jacknife737
10-11-2008, 06:42 PM
cupcakes have frosting and are more desserty. muffins are more of a breakfast food. at least, in my neck of the woods...

That's how i would distinguish them; cupcakes certainly seem sweeter as well.

Apathy
10-11-2008, 08:25 PM
A muffin is more based off a bread-like substance, you usually eat it with butter or some other kind of spread. Common breakfast food.

Cupcakes are usually topped with frosting because they are desserts, more similar to cakes and pastries than they are to plain old bread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin

This wikipedia describes it alright. Says they look similar, but cupcakes are sweeter.

lost_nvrfound
10-11-2008, 09:26 PM
idk, they are basically the same when you make them from scratch. the only real difference that i can see is that cupcakes usually have more sugar.

well that and muffins very often have fruit in them, while cupcakes do not.

LosingStreak
10-11-2008, 09:46 PM
cupcakes have frosting and are smaller and for desert. muffins have no frosting, are smaller, and usually have fruit in them and are for breakfast.

Sofinch
10-12-2008, 05:52 AM
I don't know a difference[except for the name] love them both :D

Vera
10-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Cupcakes are pretty much a distinctly American invention, I don't they make cupcakes anywhere else. Muffins are eaten in England/Europe, too, though. Probably the sweetness/frosting (of cupcakes) is what sets them apart.

An English muffin you eat by cutting it in half and buttering the halves, or so I've heard.

Over here muffins are a dessert/served with coffee type pastry, not a breakfast food.

Sunny
10-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Cupcakes are pretty much a distinctly American invention, I don't they make cupcakes anywhere else. Muffins are eaten in England/Europe, too, though. Probably the sweetness/frosting (of cupcakes) is what sets them apart.

An English muffin you eat by cutting it in half and buttering the halves, or so I've heard.

Over here muffins are a dessert/served with coffee type pastry, not a breakfast food.

i've seen quite a few cupcake things here in Dublin. i guess maybe it's catching on (YAYYYY!). they also have these things that look like a cross between cupcakes and muffins and call them "queen cakes". sometimes they're frosted, sometimes not. sometimes they have raisins in them. WTF BBQ.

an English muffin is very unlike a "muffin" muffin. what we call "English muffins" in America would be sold here as a "hot muffin" or "crumpet", from what I've seen. they're not sweet or pastry-like.

omfg the nuances.

either way, i am completely and utterly obsessed with cupcakes. it's pretty sad.

Vera
10-12-2008, 08:38 AM
It's definitely catching on, the only regular cupcake maker I know is Swedish.. But in the end there's no word for it in these languages, in Sweden they also call 'em "cupcakes" so it's basically American in that respect.

Not Ozymandias
10-12-2008, 02:50 PM
I typically look at the box.

Llamas
10-12-2008, 07:11 PM
The difference has been outlined a few times here... but muffins are in fact way better. I love that we have the pumpkin muffins at work this time of year. :)

wheelchairman
10-12-2008, 07:35 PM
I don't think I've had a cupcake in over a decade, how annoying.

Lizardus
10-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Cupcakes are male and muffins are female.
By checking their genitals figuring out should be a piece of cake.

Sunny
10-12-2008, 08:09 PM
The difference has been outlined a few times here... but muffins are in fact way better. I love that we have the pumpkin muffins at work this time of year. :)

pumpkin spice muffins!! yes. i approve.

random cupcake thought: i bought pink and green cake decorating pearls to put on my next batch of cupcakes... and i thought they would be edible/tasty. turns out they are hard and taste like butt. ;( bummer!

Vera
10-12-2008, 10:47 PM
I've recently really wanted to make cupcakes. Hell, as of late, I've just been dying to bake.. But my place really lacks in kitchen appliances so in order to bake anything but bread rolls or buns, I'd have to buy like a million expensive things. :[

Llamas
10-12-2008, 11:22 PM
pumpkin spice muffins!! yes. i approve.

random cupcake thought: i bought pink and green cake decorating pearls to put on my next batch of cupcakes... and i thought they would be edible/tasty. turns out they are hard and taste like butt. ;( bummer!

And they have a lemon frosting which is delicious... lately, I've been grabbing one and saying it's for one of my tables, and then finding something wrong with it so my coworkers and I can enjoy the amazingness. I also like when I'm trying to cut the pumpkin pie and the crust falls off. :D

I'm sorry to hear about the pearls. :( How incredibly disappointing! It's so irritating when you buy something like that and realize it sucks and have to throw it out. Ugh. I recently bought some picante sauce that tastes like a weak barbeque sauce. I hate my life.

Nina
10-14-2008, 09:10 AM

psh, gotta bring you some next time.

lost_nvrfound
10-15-2008, 07:57 AM
I actually don't like the frosting aspect of cupcakes usually. I could live on muffins, but i can only have a cupcake every once in a while.

well thats a darn shame...

Sunny
10-15-2008, 08:31 AM
I actually don't like the frosting aspect of cupcakes usually. I could live on muffins, but i can only have a cupcake every once in a while.

the frosting is the best part for me. i like it when it's piled up, like over an inch of frosting on top. yumyumyumyum.

Little_Miss_1565
10-15-2008, 08:37 AM
What also hasn't been mentioned is that muffin batter is typically more dense, and cupcake batter is lighter and the crumbs are smaller.

lost_nvrfound
10-15-2008, 09:47 AM
the frosting is the best part for me. i like it when it's piled up, like over an inch of frosting on top. yumyumyumyum.

Well then you can have the frosting from mine then. I can't take more than a thin layer.

And you have brought up an interesting point 1565, I never thought of it like that. hmm...

Bipolar Bear
10-15-2008, 11:54 AM
cupcakes have frosting and are smaller and for desert. muffins have no frosting, are smaller, and usually have fruit in them and are for breakfast.

You said that both were smaller Lol

By the way, if this can help:

cupcake:

http://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/cupcake.jpg

muffin:

http://www.peoplejam.com/files/u283/muffin.jpg

Camilamazed
10-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the explanation guys!

Well, my muff-cakes looked like the second picture, but then I added icing. Everybody liked but hey what's not to like, you just need to mix the ingredients and put the icing (which is also ready right from the grocery store hehe).

lost_nvrfound
10-15-2008, 09:44 PM
oh man... I shouldn't have looked at this thread tonight... I haven't eaten real food in more than 12 hours... All I've had since lunch was M&Ms and one of those frappuchinos you get from the grocery store in the glass bottle.