PDA

View Full Version : A Facebook application that never fails to annoy the hell out of me

Vera
10-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Pieces of Flair

Good fucking Christ, I always make the mistake of surfing the 'recently popular' pieces of flair on this application. For those who don't know, the application allows you to pick pieces of flair and then arrange them into a board, like this: http://photos-f.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/genericv2/1921/116/01AwcAX2T54bUAAAABAAAAAAAAAAA:.jpg

(Not my board, that one.)

Yeah, it's retarded, show me an application on FB that isn't. Whatever.

But anyway, these recently popular things always make me feel like I'm the only person using this application who isn't a privileged, annoying right-wing Christian teenage girl. It's the only place where I've seen people HONESTLY equate Obama with the devil, cheer for Palin so passionately and fangirl the crappy teenage vampire book series Twilight like there's no tomorrow.

An example from a flair I ran into a few weeks back, a flair that said "McCain: because OLD is better than STUPID."

omfg. You have got to be kidding me. Obama is far, far from stupid where as McCain is unquestionably old and his running mate.. the less said the better.

Today I ran into this hiphop-dissing one that came off as vaguely racist to me:

"music is just like candy - you have to throw away the rappers."

And oh yes, ironic pro-life flairs:

"SMILE YOUR MOM CHOSE LIFE"

Siiigh.

wheelchairman
10-12-2008, 07:18 AM
That does sound awful.

What I don't understand is why people have FunWalls or Superwalls.

I mean you have to know that if you have one people will just spam you. There's no good reason to have one.

Sunny
10-12-2008, 07:28 AM
at first glance, it looks kind of cute, but also looks like it could be a prime outlet for pure unadulterated stupidity. much like many other FB apps ;p

i prefer the bumper sticker app, mostly because it's an outlet for SOME PEOPLE to send me really really inappropriate things (you know who you are).

republicans/fundies on facebook (or, well, anywhere) make me lol. they join the bestest groups, too. like "boycott the golden compass", "Funny how liberals will defend animals and not innoccent babies.." (sic) and "i'm a christian - AND I'M PROUD TO SAY ITTT!!!!!". nothing says jesus like all caps, i guess.

the whole "my mom chose life" is such bullshit. MY mom is pro-choice, and i'm damn proud.

Vera
10-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Nooooo, pro-choice choose baby-killing without exception, dontcha know?

After I made this topic I ran into this one: "Jesus loves you but I'm His favourite!"

Uhh. Sure.

KHWHD
10-12-2008, 08:42 AM
I hate the new FB period, it blows. I prefer the old one. The new one is much too complicated and doesn't show a lot of things.

Vera
10-12-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm getting used to it, I quite like the newsfeed on profile pages - makes FB stalking so much easier. :D

Rag Doll
10-12-2008, 09:46 AM
I like Pieces of Flair as a whole....my group of friends and I had a month long period of just sending each other ridiculous and/or inappropriate flair. My boyfriend has a few of those "I'm a Christian girl!" buttons on his board because of that ;p.

But reading through a lot of the stuff they have on there....jesus. People are so dumb and annoying and.....dumb. Ack. It's depressing.

lost_nvrfound
10-12-2008, 10:11 AM
I can't stand the applications on facebook for the most part. They drive me crazy. I don't know how many I've blocked from getting invites. A-fricken-nnoying! I just deleted my myspace account for similar reasons.

I think I have the flair application though, because people kept sending me the theater kid/sexual inuendo ones that really tickle me :eek:... "Theater kids do it on stage" :cool:

Cock Joke
10-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Well, rap music does suck.

Lizardus
10-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Good fucking Christ, I always make the mistake of surfing the 'recently popular' pieces of flair on this application.
I'm going to use this new form of annoyance for my evil needs.

come out swinging
10-12-2008, 06:56 PM
I hate the new FB period, it blows. I prefer the old one. The new one is much too complicated and doesn't show a lot of things.

Ya, i like the old one a lot better. It was so much better finding things.

Llamas
10-12-2008, 07:04 PM
I don't care for the new facebook design, but meh. Facebook has been changing constantly since it started, and in time, everything suits me fine. I remember when it was still for college students only, and we all got pissed when they let high school students join... and then it went global. Then there were ads, news feeds, applications... in a few years, it'll probably cost to join. I've just stopped caring about the changes, cause it doesn't really matter, haha.

And I generally dislike applications... don't use most of them. But the new layout hides them, anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

ninthlayer
10-12-2008, 08:22 PM
I only really use Graffiti Wall (which is awesome), Last.fm (which is fun when it works), and some Pokemon bullshit (which sends me notifications but I don't want to delete it). I've been hassled about not having that whole bumpersticker thing, but it really hold no appeal to me.

jacknife737
10-12-2008, 08:50 PM
As soon as i'm finished school, i'm going to quit facebook. I usually only use it to grab notes off other people when i miss class. Sure it's handy to keep in touch with people from high-school who i don't really see that often, but it's not worth the complete annoyance of dealing with it on a daily basis.

Oh, and set your facebook language to "pirate", it makes things slightly more enjoyable.

Short_Attention_Span
10-12-2008, 09:10 PM
When I first saw it, I thought it was cute. Then again, I thought Facebook was kind of cute when I first got it.

If it weren't for the fact that there's always only one person that refuses to give me their e-mail and insists on using either Facebook/Myspace, I wouldn't use them. I really only like Last.fm when it comes to "social networking" sites.
________
JEEPSTER (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Jeep_Jeepster)

H1T_That
10-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Today I ran into this hiphop-dissing one that came off as vaguely racist to me:

"music is just like candy - you have to throw away the rappers."

To be honest, from you saying that it looks more like you were being racist..

Sunny
10-13-2008, 05:08 PM
random facebook app thought:

i have the facebook "compare people" application. it's pretty cool for ego boosting and such things... however, anytime i actually compare people, it gives me the most horrific options. like "who would you rather sleep with" and it's USUALLY the two people i would rather die than sleep with (like, a 15 year old boy VS my brother in law). or "who smells nicer" and the thought of smelling either of the people just makes me go "ewww".

ugh. that application has a sick sick mind.

ninthlayer
10-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Oh, and set your facebook language to "pirate", it makes things slightly more enjoyable.
This is actually quite rad. Didn't know the option existed until reading your post, so thanks yo.

Llamas
10-13-2008, 06:50 PM
random facebook app thought:

i have the facebook "compare people" application. it's pretty cool for ego boosting and such things... however, anytime i actually compare people, it gives me the most horrific options. like "who would you rather sleep with" and it's USUALLY the two people i would rather die than sleep with (like, a 15 year old boy VS my brother in law). or "who smells nicer" and the thought of smelling either of the people just makes me go "ewww".

ugh. that application has a sick sick mind.

hahaha, wow. strangely enough, this sounds intriguing... but I probably won't add the app, anyway.

Thomas
10-13-2008, 07:22 PM
That pirate language thing is the greatest thing Facebook has ever had. Ever.

lost_nvrfound
10-13-2008, 07:31 PM

:eek: You can set it to pirate??!?!

This is good news sense I speak pirate fluently. Yarrr... and what not.

and I love compare people. Especially when your friends have to answer those incredibly awkward questions and you get that notification that says, "So-and-so thinks you smell better! Find out what else they think of you!"

EDIT: so, my facebook is on pirate now... that has definitely made my day.

Llamas
10-13-2008, 08:57 PM
haha, I'm amused by the fact that nobody here knew about the pirate thing. Like a month ago, a bunch of my friends had changed their facebook statuses telling everyone to switch the language to pirate. I still think it's fun, though it's kinda starting to get old. Especially because I sometimes don't get what something means... :P

lost_nvrfound
10-13-2008, 09:10 PM
yeah... i put it in my status that i changed it. :o

My friends are already talking about it...

ninthlayer
10-13-2008, 10:43 PM
haha, I'm amused by the fact that nobody here knew about the pirate thing. Like a month ago, a bunch of my friends had changed their facebook statuses telling everyone to switch the language to pirate. I still think it's fun, though it's kinda starting to get old. Especially because I sometimes don't get what something means... :P
You're a month ahead of the curve, aren't so very edgy? Oh wait, I had a Friendster (suck my diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick).

Sunny
10-14-2008, 12:46 AM
hahaha, wow. strangely enough, this sounds intriguing... but I probably won't add the app, anyway.

it's actually pretty awesome. you get really awkward messages like "creepy guy on your facebook compared people and thinks he'd rather get stuck in handcuffs with you!".

H1T_That
10-14-2008, 05:49 AM
I heard about the pirate thing a few weeks ago. It doesn't really appeal to me though, so i haven't changed it..

Llamas
10-14-2008, 12:06 PM
You're a month ahead of the curve, aren't so very edgy? Oh wait, I had a Friendster (suck my diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick).
haha, I was just surprised it hadn't spread to as common of knowledge as I thought. But whatever! You sux!

it's actually pretty awesome. you get really awkward messages like "creepy guy on your facebook compared people and thinks he'd rather get stuck in handcuffs with you!".
Hmm, now I'm wondering why you have so many creepy people/weird people as friends on facebook. ;)

Sunny
10-14-2008, 12:28 PM
i ask myself the same question on a fairly regular basis ;p