PDA

View Full Version : Electronic bathrooms

Betty
10-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Okay, it's random Michelle question post time!

So, my department recently moved into a new building in which there are a gazillion problems (no heating on the weekends, the key card door thing is set on ultra-fast mode where you don't have time to activate the lock and then actually open the door in time, other door locks are installed backwards, sinks don't swivel, broken things abound, etc, etc). But one of the things I have a serious issue with, and that in theory is working fine, are the SELF-FLUSHING TOILETS. This might be weird, but I generally stand to wipe, so as soon as I stand, it flushes, and if I want to flush everything, I have to flush twice. As a result, more water is wasted, or more toilets are left unflushed if people choose not to flush a second time. I know it's not just me who has this issue, cause I've noticed lots of the toilets aren't always flushed completely. But do a lot of people have this issue? Do some people prefer the self-flushing?

I mean, in fancier washrooms, even the automatic taps and automatic hand driers can sometimes be annoying, but they still make a pretty reasonable amount of sense and I can work with them.

But as for toilets, I think I prefer the baby flush/big flush option that you see around sometimes or that seems to be a lot more common in Europe.

Thoughts?

nieh
10-12-2008, 03:54 PM
This might be weird, but I generally stand to wipe

Freak.

And one of the stalls at my office has a tendency to go off if you move even the slightest bit after sitting on it, which has resulted in it flushing on me like 3-4 times without me even getting up from it.

And I always feel insulted whenever one of those timed auto-air sanitizer things just happens to go off at certain times while I'm in the bathroom.

Rag Doll
10-12-2008, 04:26 PM
everything in the bathrooms for some buildings at my university is automatic. its annoying as fuck and nothing ever works correctly. and this is like...the toilets, the sinks, the hand driers, and the paper towel dispensers. so annoying.

Llamas
10-12-2008, 05:10 PM
I generally stand to wipe, so as soon as I stand, it flushes, and if I want to flush everything, I have to flush twice.
God damn it, me too! I never really thought about this... people sit to wipe? That just seems... weird. hahaha. But anyway, I hate automatic toilets for this reason.

And one of the stalls at my office has a tendency to go off if you move even the slightest bit after sitting on it, which has resulted in it flushing on me like 3-4 times without me even getting up from it.
Especially disgusting when it splashes up while flushing and you're still sitting on the toilet. :( :(

The only automatic thing I approve of in bathrooms is the paper towel dispenser. Your hands are clean, don't wanna touch something anymore, and I rarely run into problems with them.

Sunny
10-12-2008, 05:16 PM
i hate automated bathrooms. i'm pretty sure i recently posted a little rant about this somewhere ;p

the flushers are loud as fuck, hardly ever set off at the right time, waste water, etc. i prefer the "little drop/big drop" flush system where you actually have a choice. the faucets stop running once your hands are all lathered up and won't turn on unless you basically hump the sink into submission.

and because i can't respond to this thread without whining about this... my bathrooms have that god forsaken motion sensor fan. it's annoying enough that it turns on anytime i walk into the bathroom... but its even worse in my bedroom. the genius architect placed the sensor right by the bathroom door. the bathroom opens directly into the room, so anytime i get up from my side of the bed, i set off the bathroom fan. unless i remember to always keep the door closed, which i never do. and if i get up to get a drink of water at night, it sets off and prevents me from going back to sleep.

ururururu!

Llamas
10-12-2008, 05:22 PM
My bathroom doesn't even have a fan at all... but since I live alone now, I just leave the door open all the time, so I don't really need one. But it's annoying when someone stays now and then.

Ryder1234
10-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Sunny, have you tried putting duct tape or something over the sensor? Obviously it won't look too good, but at least it won't go off all the time.

What I don't get is toilets with both automatic and manual flushers. What's the point of the manual one when it's just gonna go off two or three times automatically? And the faucet sensors are major fails.

Tizzalicious
10-13-2008, 12:55 AM
They have those at the airport in Amsterdam too. It's even worse when it's a public bathroom, because when you hoover over them istead of sitting on them, they tend to flush while you're still "in action"...AND THEY GET YOUR ASS WET: Grossss.

Betty
10-13-2008, 01:00 AM
i'm pretty sure i recently posted a little rant about this somewhere ;p

Ha! Did you post that here? If so, I'm sure I must've dismissed it as one of your bitter intellectual rants.

I didn't quite feel the same rage before on this topic since I didn't have to deal with the problem every single day. And I really do try to control my rage with regards to things I can't control, but dammit, WHY did they have to do this to me??

lost_nvrfound
10-13-2008, 08:05 AM
HAHA! Thank god my university hasn't been updated enough for automatic bathrooms!

I took a class over the summer at the community college here. The class was in the newest building on campus so everything in the bathroom was "hands free". i suppose that term works. But arggh! It was the most annoying thing! And the class was like 3 hours tuesday and thursday and it went from 8 to 5 on saturdays, so a trip to the bathroom at least once per class was really unavoidable. It didn't help that it was a somewhat physical class, so you couldn't afford to have a full bladder.

But it was awful. The worst part was that they were inconsistent on when they'd flush so it made me jump EVERY time. And there was this one stall where the toilet would flush for like 2 minutes no joke.

I hate those things!

T-6005
10-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Automatic sinks are the worst parts of those types of bathrooms.

Welcome to the future.