PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for...

bighead384
10-13-2008, 02:56 PM
something really melodic, and fairly technical. Emotional, unconventional, and creative. Something that has a lot of personality. Definitely not punk though, I've got enough of that. But it has to rock out, I don't want anything too chill or too laid back. Probably something more indie than mainstream.

Any recommendations? I haven't been able to find any good bands lately so I thought I'd just try doing this...

coke_a_holic
10-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Define technical?

Either The Fall of Troy or Okkervil River, depending on your definition.

Or both.

Tyler Durden
10-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Dinosaur Jr.

Apathy
10-13-2008, 04:17 PM
cause I like you,
yeah I like you.
and I'm feelin so bohemian like you.

?
Possibly not what you were looking for, but I really hate all of the other bands mentioned.

bighead384
10-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Dinosaur Jr.

I've always wanted to try them out. Any recommendations on what to start with?

bighead384
10-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Define technical?

Either The Fall of Troy or Okkervil River, depending on your definition.

Or both.

I just meant I generally prefer bands that are typically regarded as more technical than simple, I'm not really sure how I'd define it. Fall of Troy sounds cool, I think they toured with A Wilhelm Scream so I would probably like it, but I'm not really looking for punk or metal. I have a lot of music that is intense and melodic, but it's mostly punk or metal. I'm trying to find that in another style of music.

OffspringHead
10-13-2008, 06:30 PM
something really melodic, and fairly technical. Emotional, unconventional, and creative. Something that has a lot of personality. Definitely not punk though, I've got enough of that. But it has to rock out, I don't want anything too chill or too laid back. Probably something more indie than mainstream.

Any recommendations? I haven't been able to find any good bands lately so I thought I'd just try doing this...
Here are some albums i recommend. But first, definately check out the band Wintersun. They only have one album and it's self-titled.

Wintersun by Wintersun
Virus by Hypocrisy
Slaughter of the Soul by At The Gates
Symmetric in Design by Scar Symmetry
Subterranean by In Flames
Swamplord by Kalmah
Fate of Norns by Amon Amarth
Death Metal by Dismember
Onset of Putrefaction by Necrophagist

All great Melodic Death Metal bands with the technical mixture. They're not like crazy death metal but very melodic. Necrophagist is not as melodic but VERY technical. Enjoy.

Jakebert
10-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Seconded on Dinosaur Jr. I've been listening to them a lot lately.

Bug is easily their best, but Beyond fits more with what you're looking for.

Thomas
10-13-2008, 07:05 PM
Check out Porcupine Tree. They are like a slightly more mellow and melodic version of Tool. They have some awesome grooves. Also, be sure to listen to any of their stuff with Gavin Harrison. They got light years better once he joined them behind the kit.

WebDudette
10-13-2008, 07:10 PM
you said no punk, is hardcore out of the question? I can name a couple hardcore bands that fit your requirements if you'd like.

bighead384
10-13-2008, 07:17 PM
you said no punk, is hardcore out of the question? I can name a couple hardcore bands that fit your requirements if you'd like.

Thanks but I'm not really looking for punk, metal, or hardcore. So I guess you could say I'm not looking for anything that is best described as "fast". I got enough of that.

bighead384
10-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Check out Porcupine Tree. They are like a slightly more mellow and melodic version of Tool. They have some awesome grooves. Also, be sure to listen to any of their stuff with Gavin Harrison. They got light years better once he joined them behind the kit.

A more mellow and melodic version of Tool sounds awesome.

OffspringHead
10-13-2008, 07:53 PM
Dinosaur Jr.
They're really good. I'd listen to them but not very technical.

Endymion
10-13-2008, 07:55 PM
captain ahab.

Omni
10-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Mindless Self Indulgence and Prick.

A lot of Mike Patton's projects.

WebDudette
10-14-2008, 01:09 AM
Mindless Self Indulgence is one of those bands that tries really hard to be creative, unpredictable, and original. In the end that is exactly whats makes them so conventional, predictable, and forgettable.

Endymion
10-14-2008, 01:13 AM
captain ahab.

H1T_That
10-14-2008, 05:38 AM
Protest The Hero, The Human Abstract, The Fall Of Troy, Chiodos.

Chiodos is probably the closest band i can think of from the description you gave.

Ignore everything OffspringHead said, it's way heavier than what you're looking for.

Free?
10-14-2008, 07:18 AM
Backyard Babies! (use search button ;))
Most of alternative rock bands I meet today are booooring, they sing about same uncool things. Not punk, not metal... well it's kinda difficult to name a good band :D. Godsmack? They were kinda interesting, but they just remake their own songs now. Uhm.. I don't know really... :o
Oh yeah, give Nicotine a try. It's punk, but you'll love it, it's impossible to resist. (use search button again =P)

OffspringHead
10-14-2008, 09:19 AM
The Fall Of Troy, The Human Abstract

Ignore everything OffspringHead said, it's way heavier than what you're looking for.
And mathcore and progressive deathcore is what he's looking for?

The bands i listed weren't too bad. I made sure they were melodic and not just straight up death metal. Dismember might be a bit too heavy. And maybe Necrophagist. But At the Gates, Wintersun and Scar Symmetry really aren't too bad.

H1T_That
10-14-2008, 09:26 AM
And mathcore is what he's looking for?

Uhm..yeah, apparently so..

Fall of Troy sounds cool, I think they toured with A Wilhelm Scream so I would probably like it,

Endymion
10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
captain ahab.

OffspringHead
10-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Uhm..yeah, apparently so..

Mathcore is a lot worse than what I posted. The Fall of Troy just happens to be on the lighter side. Listen to See You Next Tuesday and Psyopus and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eQJU8tb0Ec - See You Next Tuesday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIiYwKO88aY - Psyopus

bouncingcoles
10-14-2008, 08:10 PM

THRICE = the alchemy index

enough said

H1T_That
10-15-2008, 06:40 AM
Mathcore is a lot worse than what I posted. The Fall of Troy just happens to be on the lighter side. Listen to See You Next Tuesday and Psyopus and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eQJU8tb0Ec - See You Next Tuesday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIiYwKO88aY - Psyopus

It's got nothing to do with what either me or you think is good. I just posted some stuff i thought he may like from the description he gave...

OffspringHead
10-15-2008, 09:23 AM
It's got nothing to do with what either me or you think is good. I just posted some stuff i thought he may like from the description he gave...

But he never was specific. He said that what i listed was too heavy. And he gave him a mathcore band. And mathcore can be a lot heavier than what I posted. That's all I was saying.

H1T_That
10-15-2008, 12:07 PM
But he never was specific. He said that what i listed was too heavy. And he gave him a mathcore band. And mathcore can be a lot heavier than what I posted. That's all I was saying.

To be fair, The Fall Of Troy and The Human Abstract aren't heavier than anything you listed, and even if it was, so what? his spec still used the term "rock out".

Whatever, if he likes the bands, good for him, if he doesn't i'm not going to lose sleep over it.

EMehl6
10-15-2008, 12:15 PM
The Human Abstract's first album, Nocturne, is amazing. If you don't like metal, or screaming vocals, you probably won't like it. But instrumentally, these guys are on a whole 'nother level. The drummer is an absolute machine, and the bassist fingertaps! I highly recommend "Vela, Together We Await The Storm". Their newest album, Midheaven, is ok. One of their guitarists left, which sucked. And they added a keyboardist, which I thought would add to the amazingness, but it didn't. They lost their edge and technicality on that album. But definitely check out Nocturne. It's one of the best albums I've ever listened to.

MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/thehumanabstract)

H1T_That
10-15-2008, 12:22 PM
The Human Abstract's first album, Nocturne, is amazing. If you don't like metal, or screaming vocals, you probably won't like it. But instrumentally, these guys are on a whole 'nother level. The drummer is an absolute machine, and the bassist fingertaps! I highly recommend "Vela, Together We Await The Storm". Their newest album, Midheaven, is ok. One of their guitarists left, which sucked. And they added a keyboardist, which I thought would add to the amazingness, but it didn't. They lost their edge and technicality on that album. But definitely check out Nocturne. It's one of the best albums I've ever listened to.

MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/thehumanabstract)

I agree. Midhaven is crap. I've only actually listened to half of it and i turned it off. It has a massive air of pretentiousness about it. Vela...is an absolute monster of a track. The opening solo part is fucking awesome!!

bighead384
10-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm gonna check out all this stuff really soon once I have time. If you happen to have more suggestions then keep em' coming.

Little_Miss_1565
10-15-2008, 12:27 PM
I second Captain Ahab. "I Can't Wait for Summer" is brilliance.

But my own ssuggestion is Jeff Buckley's _Grace_.

Andy
10-15-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm going to throw a couple of suggestions into the mix here: Rx Bandits and Reuben.

EMehl6
10-15-2008, 04:13 PM
I agree. Midhaven is crap. I've only actually listened to half of it and i turned it off. It has a massive air of pretentiousness about it. Vela...is an absolute monster of a track. The opening solo part is fucking awesome!!

Yeah, Idk what happened. I was so amped for that album, and it was just a massive disappointment. There's only like 1 or 2 songs on there that I actually like. But yeah, Nocturne owns. That whole album is amazing.

I'm going to throw a couple of suggestions into the mix here: Rx Bandits and Reuben.

Rueben is a pretty awesome band.

Apathy
10-15-2008, 09:02 PM
captain ahab.

i fuck 'er in the ear an' I fuck 'er in the mouth.