PDA

View Full Version : Good horror movies?

OffspringHead
10-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Recently I've been getting into more horror movies. I've seen all the classics. But I've been missing out on (decent) modern horror flicks. Ones i've recently seen for the first time are 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, House of 1,000 Corpses, and 30 Days of Night. Right now I have Hostel and The Devil's Reject downloading.

Any other suggestions of decent modern horror flicks?

My favorites include gore and and intense zombie flicks. None of the bullshit walking 2 miles per hour with your hands out in front zombie shit. But i'll accept any type of horror movie to check out.

H1T_That
10-14-2008, 06:51 AM
It's extremly hit or miss, but i quite enjoyed The Strangers.

wheelchairman
10-14-2008, 07:10 AM
I Am Legend would be an obvious choice.

Free?
10-14-2008, 07:27 AM
I enjoyed Silent Hill very much. It overcame my expectations a lot. It's a a very intense movie, there are no fast scary scenes but it keeps you disturbed all the time. One rare movie that actually managed to make me feel fear.

I haven't seen I Am Legend, but I really doubt that it's a horror movie, Will Smith there, I can't imagine him playing in a horror movie. I'll definitely check it out.

Jakebert
10-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Eraserhead. Everyone should see it before they die.

Endymion
10-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Eraserhead. Everyone should see it before they die.

<3 i love lynch

Sofinch
10-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Wrong turn 1 & 2

H1T_That
10-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Wrong turn 1 & 2

Shut the fuck up.

Free?
10-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Shut the fuck up.

You're being unreasonably rude unless it was a name of a horror movie.

H1T_That
10-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Oh, come on!!

Wrong Turn 2 is probably the worst thing ever commited to film. A bunch of fuck-wits go into a forest to make some kind of gay survivour show hosted by Henry Rollins, then get popped off one by one by a family of mutant freaks.

Tell me that doesn't sound seriously fucking stupid. And thats just the storyline. Dare i go into the horrible acting, dialouge, casting etc etc etc

Free?
10-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Oh, come on!!

Wrong Turn 2 is probably the worst thing ever commited to film. A bunch of fuck-wits go into a forest to make some kind of gay survivour show hosted by Henry Rollins, then get popped off one by one by a family of mutant freaks.

Tell me that doesn't sound seriously fucking stupid. And thats just the storyline. Dare i go into the horrible acting, dialouge, casting etc etc etc

Now that should have been told instead of STFU.

Sofinch
10-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Well here goes my correction
Wrong Turn 2

happy now ?

jacknife737
10-14-2008, 11:34 AM
This may seem like a silly recommendation, since not only do I dislike horror movies, but have not seen this film in question; however a friend recently recommend that i check out, "Deathwatch". Again, i haven't seen it, but the premise sounded really interesting, ie a group of WWI British soldiers that get harassed by some unknown force.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathwatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFMWsjsohys

Tijs
10-14-2008, 12:31 PM
This thread has been great for my download list. Thank you all.

And about Wrong Turn 2: Dead End, can it really be so bad? I just read a part of it's plot and I've read about a dark forest, a deformed family of cannibals, and a bunch of gameshow contestants being dropped there. I don't know, but that sounds pretty awesome to me.

RickyCrack
10-14-2008, 03:35 PM
itd be more believable if henry rollins hunted dudes in a forest and ripped out their rib cages and drank their spinal fluids. THAT would sound cool

H1T_That
10-15-2008, 07:45 AM
itd be more believable if henry rollins hunted dudes in a forest and ripped out their rib cages and drank their spinal fluids. THAT would sound cool

There is actually a scene where he makes some kind of exploding arrow and fires it into a mutants back and explodes it.

Rollins also dies by strangulation from barbed wire.

I won't dispute, some of the gore is pretty cool, its just the entire movie around it thats a complete pile of tripe.

nightvision
10-15-2008, 09:11 AM
And about Wrong Turn 2: Dead End, can it really be so bad? I just read a part of it's plot and I've read about a dark forest, a deformed family of cannibals, and a bunch of gameshow contestants being dropped there. I don't know, but that sounds pretty awesome to me.

Yes, it really is that bad. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under any circumstances. I don't know how the hell it got a 5,6 rating at IMDb, I'd give it a 2.

For OP I'd recommend two very good spanish horror movies, [rec] and The Orphanage.

sKratch
10-15-2008, 09:28 AM
I don't generally watch many horror movies, but I just watched (rec.), a Spanish sorta-zombie movie that my friend brought over. Apparently Quarantine is based off it. Pretty creepy movie.

anarhist
10-15-2008, 01:06 PM
last horror, that I seen, and which don't be a crap, it is mirror.

nameless
10-16-2008, 06:11 PM
i like the halloween films and urban legends is good!

GreenTerror
10-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Horror movies really bore the shit out of me. They're so repetitive, rarely do I see one that has some originality to it.
Though, someone mentioned I am Legend, and I loved that one. But I don't think I'd consider that a horror.

lost_nvrfound
10-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Oh man! I didn't know there was a Wrong Turn 2! I really enjoyed the first one, mostly for its terribleness. Good stuff!

One I feel obligated to recommend is The Hazing. I believe that is the name. Terrible movie, but it has some of the best death scenes of any movie I have ever seen. See, this fraternity and sorority (go figure... just read on) have this tradition of sticking their pledges in this "haunted" house overnight. The house is rigged with all kinds of scary mumbo jumbo. Well, it turns out that in the basement, there is this portal to hell (amityville horror anyone?). Through it, the devil is able to posses somebody so he can come up and claim an innocent soul and bring her back into the netherworld. He starts killing off other people in the house and its just unbelievably amazing how he kills them. Seriously, best death scenes ever!

The Amityville(sp?) Horror movies are worth a watch if you haven't seen those. Creepy to the max.

I also really enjoyed Dawn of the Dead (the new one). I know a lot of people didn't like it, but its at the top of my list as far as new zombie movies go. Down With The Sickness (Disturbed) being turned into elevator music had me fall out of my seat laughing. That has nothing to do with the actual movie, but that still gets me every time I hear it.

Sofinch
10-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Oh man! I didn't know there was a Wrong Turn 2! I really enjoyed the first one, mostly for its terribleness. Good stuff!

and there is going to be a third in 2009

lost_nvrfound
10-17-2008, 10:01 AM

:eek: oh my...

nightvision
10-17-2008, 10:21 AM

Well that sucks. And what sucks even more is that I have to watch it since I've seen the first two. I'm not looking forward to it.

Stylie
10-18-2008, 07:13 PM
The Amityville(sp?) Horror movies are worth a watch if you haven't seen those. Creepy to the max.

Yeah, I was just going to recommend this movie (2005-version). Really good and scary, though it's a good time since I've seen it.

I usually don't see or have seen to many horror movies, don't know why, 'caus I really like that genre. Hmmm, some other movies like... Hostel, Saw, The Ring? Pretty good.

I don't think it's really bad movies, but it's not the best either. Worth a watch. ;)

Titus
10-18-2008, 10:08 PM
I love horror movies, but I havenīt seen a good one recently...
A few ones that I watched and enjoyed
What Lies Beneath
Gothika
Stir of Echoes
The exorcism of emily rose
The Messengers
The Amityville Horror (2005)

lost_nvrfound
10-19-2008, 01:34 AM
I heard emily rose sucked majorly.

I haven't seen the new version of amityville. I'm not a real big fan of remakes of the classics. But maybe I'll give it a shot.

PS Titus is the greatest show ever!

Stylie
10-19-2008, 06:28 AM
I heard emily rose sucked majorly.

I haven't seen the new version of amityville. I'm not a real big fan of remakes of the classics. But maybe I'll give it a shot.

Wow, you have just seen the original (which is from like 1980 or something)?
I absolutely recommend you to watch the 2005-version. I haven't seen the original one, but I assume that this one has the same story, but are just weaker produced (uhm, if you know what I mean).

Titus
10-19-2008, 07:18 AM
I watched the old version, same history, different ending, i think it was a crappy ending lol. But a friend of mine think the old one is better than the new one.
2005 version is a great one, worth watching

HELL YEAH!
I bought the dvds, I keep watching over and over again

lost_nvrfound
10-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Wow, you have just seen the original (which is from like 1980 or something)?
I absolutely recommend you to watch the 2005-version. I haven't seen the original one, but I assume that this one has the same story, but are just weaker produced (uhm, if you know what I mean).

Yes, I know what you mean. But so much of the fun is lost when they try to remake horror movies. You really ought to see the original. Just like the Omen. The remake ruined it. It was too gory and you totally lose out on the creepfest of the orginal.

And titus, once my siblings and I watched all of Titus in one sitting. We started at like four in the afternoon and we were still watching it when my mom left for work the next day. Amazing! We could've kept watching it for longer, but they only made 3 seasons :(

Titus
10-19-2008, 11:20 AM
whoa nice!
You got the dvds too?
Itīs so amazing, Itīs kind inspiring, the way he deals with all the bad things

lost_nvrfound
10-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Christohper Titus is second only to the offspring in awesomeness!

nieh
10-19-2008, 11:23 AM
I know I recommend it every time one of these threads comes up, but May (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303361/) is awesome, and I actually just showed it to some friends last night who really liked it. It starts off as more of a black comedy than anything then slowly gets less and less funny as it goes on and is really effective.

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
10-19-2008, 11:29 AM
I saw the messengers and amityville horror in the cinema. That was really good, it scared the crap out of me. pretty cool.
You have to see the ring and dreamcatcher. And rose red

KHWHD
10-19-2008, 11:34 AM
I personally really liked the Saw movies, especially Saw 2. I didn't know that Saw 4 was out until just yesterday when they said on the T.V. that Saw 5 comes out on Friday. Damn.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
10-19-2008, 11:41 AM
I recommend Silent Hill, it's pretty cool...

Sofinch
10-19-2008, 11:45 AM
I personally really liked the Saw movies, especially Saw 2. I didn't know that Saw 4 was out until just yesterday when they said on the T.V. that Saw 5 comes out on Friday. Damn.

whAAaaAAttt there's already a Saw 5 coming, I can't follow anymore I only saw "Saw" 1 and 2 yet :D

Stylie
10-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Yes, I know what you mean. But so much of the fun is lost when they try to remake horror movies. You really ought to see the original. Just like the Omen. The remake ruined it. It was too gory and you totally lose out on the creepfest of the orginal.

Aha. Well, I can't say anything about that, 'caus I haven't seen the original one. But I promise you, the 2005'version is GOOD. But as you say, it's maybe not as fun to watch it when you have seen the original one.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
10-19-2008, 11:51 AM

Dunno, i think those movies are soo boring...It's not scary or anything like that, it's more like "kickass, that dude cut his eyes out...So f**king what?"...

Stylie
11-01-2008, 08:39 PM
I saw House Of Wax on tv yesterday. Really cool actually, though the ending was maybe a bit overstated (if that's the right word to use?). Looked to weird when the house burned down like that, heh.

Saw The Descent now, cool movie that too, but I don't know...got kinda tired of the monsters coming over and over and over again.
But I didn't quite understand the ending? Anyone seen it?

0r4ng3
11-02-2008, 12:42 PM
My rule of horror movies is: If I've heard of it, it probably sucks.