PDA

View Full Version : Statistics

Bipolar Bear
10-15-2008, 03:40 PM
97% OF COLLEGE STUDENTS OWN A CELL PHONE.

That's just sad. I don't own one and don't want to. I've always hated those
devices. I'm in the 3 out of 100 who thinks this way. My best friend too.
Cell phones are fucking creepy.

MORE STATISTICS!

Average life expectancy ( in seconds ) of an enemy soldier in a Chuck Norris film: 4

Number of men who have written letters proposing marriage to Vanna White: 3506

Age most people stop believing in Santa Claus: 8

Age most people stop believing in politicians: 7

Number of chemical elements in the universe: 104

In a glass of New Jersey tap water: 98

Number of days into baseball season before Chicago Cubs are written off as pennant contenders: 5

Average powder base ( in inches ) on Aspen ski slope: 17

On Tammy Bakker: 1/4

Salary of the average Pro Wrestler: $47,500 /yr.

If Pro Wrestling didn't exist: $4.25/hr.

Number of things that annoy Andy Rooney: 2,000,000

Number of people annoyed by Andy Rooney: 23,000,000

Average miles per gallon you can expect if a car maker's ad says " 30 mpg, city": 23

Number of people who aren't doctors, but play them on TV: 57

Who aren't doctor's but play them in hospitals: 5,840

Number of people in the history of air travel who have been able to get a $99 Maxsaver fare to coast: 2

Restrictions for that fare: 237

Percentage of the public that understand the new tax code: 11%

Percentage of accountants who understand it: 9%

Percentage of IRS employees who understand it: 6%

Number of people who work for the government: about half

Number of Americans who believe any of the statistics on this page are accurate: 2,478,644

Who believe TV Evangelists are trustworthy: 2,478,644

Tyler Durden
10-15-2008, 03:43 PM
You're just jealous you don't have a cellphone. I used to be like you, but then I got my own cellphone.

wheelchairman
10-15-2008, 04:01 PM
I used to not like cellphones either.

However it's been invaluable in keeping in contact since I got one. It allows a person to be much more spontaneous than before.

Tisiacs
10-15-2008, 04:51 PM
In my case it's not a matter of liking cell phones or not, it's a matter of necessity. I don't own a home number anymore, so the cell phone is all I have to keep me in touch with society.

Edit: Besides, chicks dig it when you send them a sms like: hey, what you're doing tonight baby ?! It works 97 % of the time too, rather than calling them which might make you choke on your words and the girl hanging up on you (yep, that happened to me once, well, not anymore pal.)

Sunny
10-15-2008, 04:59 PM
i love my cell phone. dearly. not to mention i actually need it.

funny cell phone story... i went to a meeting yesterday, blah blah, at end of the meeting we're chatting and the head guy goes "do you have an iphone" and i'm like "no..." and he's like "GOOD". i'm like... do you discriminate against iphone users? and he goes "yes, heavily".

good thing i didn't tell him i'm just waiting for them to become available...

KHWHD
10-15-2008, 05:32 PM
I love mine too. Having 2 babies it's a necessity, not a want.

Tisiacs
10-15-2008, 05:33 PM
funny cell phone story... i went to a meeting yesterday, blah blah, at end of the meeting we're chatting and the head guy goes "do you have an iphone" and i'm like "no..." and he's like "GOOD". i'm like... do you discriminate against iphone users? and he goes "yes, heavily".

I bet that guy would die to have an iphone. around here it costs 600 dollars for a brand new one, so if you have one most likely you will never go out with it, or if you do you'll probably get stolen. Believe it or not my cell phone has no camera, mp3 player, or even colors.lol. I think I paid 3 bucks for it, the guy who sold me needed some change to ride back home on the bus.

wheelchairman
10-15-2008, 05:54 PM
I actually bought a cellphone today.

I bought this one:
http://www.mad4mobilephones.com/images/nokia2760.jpg

But I was so close to buying this one:
http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/file/1.492021.1215518555/W350_product_quality_image_1.png

I ended up going with the first one cause the Sony Ericcson was 4x the price.

Sunny
10-15-2008, 05:54 PM
I bet that guy would die to have an iphone.

he's the head of one of Europe's largest advertising agencies, so i think he could afford to shell out the $500 or whatever. ;p

come out swinging
10-15-2008, 06:51 PM
The only way people get in touch with me is calling my cell or txt me. Besides that i don't use the house phone.

Betty
10-15-2008, 07:21 PM
I never liked cell phones either. But I agree, it allows one to be much more spontaneous, and it's pretty key for meeting up with people when out.

To demonstrate my cell phone usage however... I bought a new one about a week ago (to get a better rate plan) and I don't think I've received a phone call on it yet.

jacknife737
10-15-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm a student, and don't have a landline, so i am forced to rely on my cellphone, which is great since i don't get any spam calls (ie, telemarketers, ect).

nameless
10-15-2008, 07:31 PM
mobile phones are handy but the annoying thing is that people can always contact you, theres no excuse of missing a call or message as it registers on the phone!

jacknife737
10-15-2008, 07:38 PM
mobile phones are handy but the annoying thing is that people can always contact you, theres no excuse of missing a call or message as it registers on the phone!

Next time try, "Sorry, my cell was charging", or "Sorry, my cell was turned off".

Ryder1234
10-15-2008, 07:55 PM
But if the phone is charging or turned off, all the person calling hears is something like, "the mobile customer you have called is away from the phone right now", or it goes to the voice mail. If they can hear it ringing then that means it is turned on, and all they'd have to say is "if it was turned off why was it ringing?" or something like that.

Sunny
10-15-2008, 07:58 PM
"it was on vibrate"
"i had no service"
"i was in a meeting"

the possibilities are ENDLESS.

what does annoy me, though, is that smartphones send out notifications to people once you've read their email. it sends out a message saying "your message was delivered to the recipient". :/ no more "i didn't get your email" excuses =(

come out swinging
10-15-2008, 09:18 PM
I prefer to txt because it easier to have a quick conversation while at work.

WebDudette
10-15-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm starting to text more and more, though to be honest, I still greatly prefer verbal conversations.

Anyway, as far as missing a call, I sometimes go with the good old 'I didn't want to talk to you'.

Llamas
10-15-2008, 10:18 PM
I have a cell phone, and I'm dependent on it... and I fucking hate it, and I fucking hate cell phones. The end.

lost_nvrfound
10-15-2008, 10:30 PM
I have a cell phone. I've actually had one almost constantly for 7 years. When I was in middle school, my mom decided I needed one, because I was always with my friends or at cheerleading practice (yes, I know. I am so ashamed :D) I mostly use it for text messaging. I've never been fond of talking on the phone, so i don't. If people want to talk, they know where I live.

I don't see the big deal with iphones though. it can surf the web, play music, and take pictures. I have a macbook pro, an ipod, and a digital camera. All of which can do it better than the iphone, not to mention, so much more. I spend enough time on the forums. Do I really need to be able to do it from anywhere?

hshduppsnt
10-15-2008, 11:16 PM

haha that is a pretty good conversation :)

I also like my cell phone, though wish I could have an iPhone (for various reasons). Too many people on verizon for it to make sense to switch though.

Bipolar Bear
10-16-2008, 01:15 AM
You're just jealous you don't have a cellphone. I used to be like you, but then I got my own cellphone.

Nice try. But no.
I dislike regular phones. I don't see why I'd like cell phones.
And I hate how something that appeared so few years ago is now considered
a "necessity" among so many people.

wheelchairman
10-16-2008, 03:15 AM
20 years ago?

ad8
10-16-2008, 05:26 AM
Nice try. But no.

Yep. I wonder how I could survive all the years after my first cellphone was destroyed and I didn't buy a new one.

T-6005
10-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I like this thread more (http://offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7341)

Bipolar Bear
10-16-2008, 11:06 AM
20 years ago?

That's still a relatively short time ago.
I think what I meant was when it started to be heavily commercialized and
popularized.

Vera
10-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I had a cell phone back when they weren't sell-outs, pfft. Then they became all small and easy to carry around and started having this SMS feature. I was like, fuck that shit, only r-tards will buy anything newer than a Nokia 1610: http://www.cellink.com.au/products/images/nokia_1610.jpg.

hshduppsnt
10-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I had a cell phone back when they weren't sell-outs, pfft. Then they became all small and easy to carry around and started having this SMS feature. I was like, fuck that shit, only r-tards will buy anything newer than a Nokia 1610: http://www.cellink.com.au/products/images/nokia_1610.jpg.

haha dude my friend had that phone and was using it up until about a year ago...

every time we gave new features his response (and another nokia friend with a different similar era phone) would say "oh yeah? but my phone can kill a man at 10 meters"

Damn things were unbreakable too!

Llamas
10-16-2008, 01:44 PM
Nice try. But no.

Oh my GOD, I'm glad someone said it. It really blows my mind when people say how they need a cell phone, they could've live without it. But yeah, not that many years ago, cell phones weren't even a thing... people lived just fine without them. Sure, they make life more convenient, but I'm pretty sure you can live without convenience. There are very few people who need a cell phone, I believe. And these are people whose jobs basically wouldn't exist without them.

wheelchairman
10-16-2008, 02:20 PM
That's still a relatively short time ago.
I think what I meant was when it started to be heavily commercialized and
popularized.
1. Relative to the age of mankind, yes that's true. But then so is everything.
2. They've become "commercialized" and "popularized" in the past 7-8 years. It's because they're so ridiculously useful.

I can relate to why you don't want one, because once you have one you will need it. However it would be laughable at my point in life if someone didn't have a cellphone. If you study at a university and have a job on the side (plus friends) then it would almost be ridiculous not to have one. People would seriously laugh at you.

But of course it's different in Europe. You probably wouldn't stick out as much for not having one in the US as here. It's really just an inconvenience to everyone else that you don't have one. I mean if they want to hang out with you or do anything spontaneous but are not in your immediate vicinity.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
10-16-2008, 02:23 PM
I do have a cell phone, but i barely use it...It doesn't have any "extra stuff"...I don't give a f*ck about all that stuff

LosingStreak
10-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Here's another one

"Abou 45% of all American Dollars have been in a strippers G-String."

Betty
10-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Oh my GOD, I'm glad someone said it. It really blows my mind when people say how they need a cell phone, they could've live without it. But yeah, not that many years ago, cell phones weren't even a thing... people lived just fine without them. Sure, they make life more convenient, but I'm pretty sure you can live without convenience. There are very few people who need a cell phone, I believe. And these are people whose jobs basically wouldn't exist without them.

Yeah, and my social life has also increased dramatically. Coincidence? Partly. But I wouldn't be surprised if people weren't in general more social.

I didn't have a cell phone until very recently, and I'd occasionally do silly things like meetup with people in the middle of downtown Toronto or some other city. And can I tell you, it was damn stressful to be like "Okay, we'll meet at 5:30 in that kind of open area near that booth place near the bus station." And then wait in said meeting area until 6:15 when the other party finally showed up cause something came up that made them late. SOOOOOO stressful.

Vera
10-17-2008, 12:45 AM
People exaggerate so much nowadays. "I couldn't live without X", fuck off, unless X is water, air or food or shelter, you *can* live without it. It just might be very difficult or inconvenient. The German word for mobile phone is "Handy" which I quite like.

Bipolar Bear
10-17-2008, 01:05 AM
However it would be laughable at my point in life if someone didn't have a cellphone. If you study at a university and have a job on the side (plus friends) then it would almost be ridiculous not to have one. People would seriously laugh at you.

For some reason that just makes me want not to have a cell phone even more.
Laugh at you? I mean..mind your own fucking business.

randman21
10-17-2008, 01:17 AM
Here's another one

"Abou 45% of all American Dollars have been in a strippers G-String."
Damn. However exaggerated that is, it's something I've never given thought to. Damn...

wheelchairman
10-17-2008, 02:56 AM
People exaggerate so much nowadays. "I couldn't live without X", fuck off, unless X is water, air or food or shelter, you *can* live without it. It just might be very difficult or inconvenient. The German word for mobile phone is "Handy" which I quite like.
It bothers you when people exaggerate about life's necessities?

Laugh at you? I mean..mind your own fucking business.

No but seriously, you would be the most annoying person to try and hang out with. Everything would have to be planned beforehand, everyone would have to be on time. And you'd probably primarily communicate by email. Just a pain in the ass.

HornyPope
10-17-2008, 10:00 AM
No but seriously, you would be the most annoying person to try and hang out with. Everything would have to be planned beforehand, everyone would have to be on time. And you'd probably primarily communicate by email. Just a pain in the ass.

On one hand, I hate the culture of leaving everything to the last minute because hey we have cell phones now to notify the other party of the change, but since it has become so mainstream now, it's like you're forced to do the same or else you're left out.

Sunny
10-17-2008, 10:13 AM
I

yep. i can imagine it would be quite annoying.

what i cannot imagine, though, is wanting to hang out with the kind of person who refuses to own a cell phone on principle. it just sounds tedious. i am no stranger to pretentious assbaggery, but that's just a little too much, even for me.

lost_nvrfound
10-17-2008, 10:18 AM

oh you rebel you...

Bipolar Bear
10-17-2008, 11:06 AM
pfft it's not on principle. I don't want one so I don't have one. End of story.
The fact that people would pressure me to get one wouldn't make me change
my mind.

yulka
10-18-2008, 10:24 AM
i have a really old cellphone
i call it nokia-brick:D
it's like this:
http://i.xanga.com/ItzaRoos/old%20cell%20phone.jpg

u.u it broke yesterday
now it's dead