PDA

View Full Version : Companies with lots of money and English

T-6005
10-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Sometimes when I'm in the shower I start to read the backs of the shampoo and soap bottles - it's just one of those things I do, reading compulsively when there are cereal/juice/soap containers.

So I was reading the back of some TRESemme shampoo that I do not use, and I came to a sentence that said "You can have salon quality everyday."

I suppose I'll never use anything by them now, because mistakes obviously means BAD PRODUCTS.

I get that it's nitpicky, but I'm sure they have plenty of money to spend on this stuff, and we're not in South Korea. There's no excuse not to write it correctly. This is in the same league as your/you're - just do it correctly, please, so I can get through my shower everyday.

What products don't you use for completely valid reasons?

Sunny
10-16-2008, 10:12 AM
i recently worked for a niche market haircare line and found out that most of their day-to-day design work is done by people in Pakistan at $2/h or so. i was designing their new labels and was just in shock at the amount of typos/awkward English phrases on the existing packaging.

i wouldn't be surprised if TRESemme did the same thing and outsourced the minor work to people in other countries who don't know what the package actually says.

T-6005
10-16-2008, 10:18 AM
I guess these companies figure that the percentage of people actually reading the packages is a negligible market share.

Does that make everyone else crazy, or just me?

PS - your story kind of makes me sad.

Sunny
10-16-2008, 10:22 AM
it's not just you. mew :/ but they don't care, cause why should they?

Endymion
10-16-2008, 10:24 AM
it is pretty pathetic using an adjective in place of a noun.

T-6005
10-16-2008, 11:07 AM
Totally. I guess those big companies just no longer want to be responsible for anything at all.

Vera
10-16-2008, 11:33 AM
This is simply fucking outrageous. I cannot believe you've endured such treatment from your shampoo bottles all this time. The injustice!

Endymion
10-16-2008, 11:50 AM
i guess it's time to move on to herbal essences.

T-6005
10-16-2008, 01:00 PM
I already use Herbal Essences.

The blue one.

So there.

Llamas
10-16-2008, 01:40 PM
I totally do the same thing. I've read the bottles of everything in my bathroom and kitchen, I swear. I usually do it when I'm on the toilet, though. I'll strangely just grab random things around the house and bring them with me, haha. It's how I discovered there was urea in my shampoo when I was 14, and freaked out.
But typos like that irritate me like none other. Sunny's story definitely made me sad as well... But that's just how our big businesses work, I guess. How are we gonna get rich if we don't take advantage of foreigners??? You'd think they could at least pay some English speaker to edit, though...

Blackleave
10-16-2008, 02:34 PM
is herbal essences really better? pretty much every company produces in china, cambodia or in some other country where it's cheaper ...