PDA

View Full Version : I wonít wanna play music when Iím forty,Iíd rather be a professor at a university-Dex

one hundred punks
10-18-2008, 12:31 AM
Aren't we lucky he changed his mind!

http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/alley/4737/article30.html

mrs_hollandova
10-18-2008, 12:33 AM

I posted this in interviews thread few days ago. And its OK, Dexter is not 40, hes still 25 :p

one hundred punks
10-18-2008, 12:36 AM
I posted this in interviews thread few days ago. And its OK, Dexter is not 40, hes still 25 :p

Well thats where I found it, so credit to you.I just think it was a cool quote.Dude might keep it going til he's 50.

mrs_hollandova
10-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Well thats where I found it, so credit to you.I just think it was a cool quote.Dude might keep it going til he's 50.

yes, hehe. 150!

randman21
10-18-2008, 01:19 AM
Golden West Junior Hostel
Is that supposed to be "Junior High School"?

Also, I didn't know that "Sorority Bitch" was their song. I always thought it was a cover. No wonder I couldn't find it anywhere. The timeline matches so that the old school video of them playing it was at the party in Greg's living room.

Rutegard
10-18-2008, 03:15 AM

that interview is fake and sucks

Dragnet
10-18-2008, 03:20 AM
that interview is fake and sucks

How do you know? :confused:

SK8rocka
10-18-2008, 03:37 AM
ah so that interview explians why they sont make flimclips with themselves in them:

"We were invited to David Lettermanís show, but we refused, because we didnít wanna see our faces on the screen. We make videos, because our record company demands them. We donít even like to have our pictures taken. We think, that if we had our faces on the cover of every magazine like Green Day, then the magic of The Offspring would be lost. We donít wanna become boring pop starts"

Sofinch
10-18-2008, 04:03 AM
too much text

Rutegard
10-18-2008, 04:11 AM
How do you know? :confused:

u know...

it's not 100% fake, but of course something is just not right sometimes...

it's the way things go...usually so...kinda normal

i just take for granted those where u can actually hear them saying this stuff, those written interviews sometimes, in some parts, they fake it

this one looks just like it!

EDIT: no smoke? biochemestry? doctor in 2 yearS? LOLOL u totally see something is JUST not right ahahah

Dragnet
10-18-2008, 04:29 AM
It was written in hungarian originally so there might be some glitches in the tranlation, but in general it could be pretty accurate.

ad8
10-18-2008, 05:59 AM
I also doubt that it is 100% correct.

I used smoke in high school, but only because it was prohibited. lol... Tru-Punx!:D

Rutegard
10-18-2008, 06:33 AM
It was written in hungarian originally so there might be some glitches in the tranlation, but in general it could be pretty accurate.

yeah well that thing about smoke is just ridiculous, and biochemestry?!?! WHEN!!?? and in 2 years a doc!? no sir!! LOL

seriously...someone just didn't do the homework there....

Stylie
10-18-2008, 07:28 AM
The dreadlocks hairstyled Dexter needs peace and quite before each concert to meditate. Half hour later, he walks out of the bus, with a serious look on his face, and puts on some dark sunglasses.

He says, he wanted to shock us, bet here’s my theory: Noodles is the oldest among us, and he can’t handle the thought that some of his hair is going gray

Hahahahh, amazing! :D

No, only the next summer, when Ron joined as a drummer. We performed out first two songs, Very Sarcastic and Sorority Bitch at a party in Greg’s living room. Noodles worked as a janitor at Golden West Junior Hostel in order to finance his studies. He had a Marshall amp which he sometimes let us borrow. One day he came up and asked us if we could play together. So we’ve been together ever since. I was the one who suggested to change the name to “The Offspring” since it is much easier to pronounce than Manic Subsidal. We felt like a new generation of punk.

Nice story, some details there I haven't heard before!
And'eh... is it any audios of those two songs? No? :p

‘Cause think the guys at MTV are complete idiots, and so are people at other TV shows. We were invited to David Letterman’s show, but we refused, because we didn’t wanna see our faces on the screen. We make videos, because our record company demands them. We don’t even like to have our pictures taken. We think, that if we had our faces on the cover of every magazine like Green Day, then the magic of The Offspring would be lost. We don’t wanna become boring pop starts.

Wow, I didn't know they had such strong meanings about that.

And the last part is really true. It wouldn't be the same if The Offspring was like Green Day and all those other pop-punk bands. Offspring have their own style, and that's cool! Though, we have seen them in some magazines, and I'm happy for that (as a fan, 'caus a fan would like to have anything of them), but not as much as Green Day and stuff.

Didn't know about this with music videos. But I'm glad the record company for example "demanded" the Pretty Fly music video. I respect that they don't want to make much music videos, though I really want them to be on the screen. Anyway, GO OFFSPRING!

dominoizzy
10-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Hahahahh, amazing! :D

Nice story, some details there I haven't heard before!
And'eh... is it any audios of those two songs? No? :p

Wow, I didn't know they had such strong meanings about that.

And the last part is really true. It wouldn't be the same if The Offspring was like Green Day and all those other pop-punk bands. Offspring have their own style, and that's cool! Though, we have seen them in some magazines, and I'm happy for that (as a fan, 'caus a fan would like to have anything of them), but not as much as Green Day and stuff.

Didn't know about this with music videos. But I'm glad the record company for example "demanded" the Pretty Fly music video. I respect that they don't want to make much music videos, though I really want them to be on the screen. Anyway, GO OFFSPRING!

here is that interview from bravo.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g175/WBizkit/bravo95interview.jpg

dominoizzy
10-18-2008, 10:57 AM
believe me the guy who translated the interview did a great job!

mrs_hollandova
10-18-2008, 10:59 AM
here is that interview from bravo.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g175/WBizkit/bravo95interview.jpg

See? So its not fake.

bighead384
10-18-2008, 11:00 AM
Imagine if he tried to be a professor. They would be like "yeah...we can't hire you, because you're like, famous and shit".

jacknife737
10-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Imagine if he tried to be a professor. They would be like "yeah...we can't hire you, because you're like, famous and shit".

Well, Greg Graffin teaches at UCLA, but he's not as famous as Dexter.

ernesto88
10-18-2008, 05:19 PM
nice interview!
a little old!:D

Cock Joke
10-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Dexter: ĎCause think the guys at MTV are complete idiots, and so are people at other TV shows. We were invited to David Lettermanís show, but we refused, because we didnít wanna see our faces on the screen. We make videos, because our record company demands them. We donít even like to have our pictures taken. We think, that if we had our faces on the cover of every magazine like Green Day, then the magic of The Offspring would be lost. We donít wanna become boring pop starts.

This is definitely surprising considering what's happened over the years. No, they're not boring. But they are pop-artists, they have several clear pictures taken, and up until the current music videos you could see them very clearly.

Stylie
10-18-2008, 05:42 PM
This is definitely surprising considering what's happened over the years. No, they're not boring. But they are pop-artists, they have several clear pictures taken, and up until the current music videos you could see them very clearly.

But he got a point. They're absolutely not like Green Day.

lost_nvrfound
10-19-2008, 01:19 AM
yeah well that thing about smoke is just ridiculous, and biochemestry?!?! WHEN!!?? and in 2 years a doc!? no sir!! LOL

seriously...someone just didn't do the homework there....

Just to point out Rutegard, this interview was in '95. He was a little over a year from completing his PhD at the time I believe and had already done like ten years of school. (this seems to be the general consensus anyway) Had he continued to work on his dissertation and gotten his PhD, we COULD have been calling him Dr. Dexter.

Compared to Green Day, they appeared on the cover of few magazines. But yeah, mtv loved the offspring in the 90s. I think a lot of it has to do with disbelief. No one was expecting them to blow up like they did, and I imagine they weren't expecting to continue as long as they have.

Rutegard
10-19-2008, 03:15 AM
See? So its not fake.

didn't get my point...

Just to point out Rutegard, this interview was in '95. He was a little over a year from completing his PhD at the time I believe and had already done like ten years of school. (this seems to be the general consensus anyway) Had he continued to work on his dissertation and gotten his PhD, we COULD have been calling him Dr. Dexter.

that's not even the point!

lost_nvrfound
10-19-2008, 10:27 AM
that's not even the point!

well... he was less than two years away from being Dr. Dexter. hehe...

Even if it wasn't all real, it was still a fun read.

Rutegard
10-19-2008, 11:29 AM
well... he was less than two years away from being Dr. Dexter. hehe...

Even if it wasn't all real, it was still a fun read.

yeah...like all the interviews

i wasn't talking bout the translation either...it's just sometimes magazines write down something ppl didn't acutally say...

and it happens a lot ya know?

just that :D

RageAndLov
10-20-2008, 01:14 AM
yeah...like all the interviews

i wasn't talking bout the translation either...it's just sometimes magazines write down something ppl didn't acutally say...

and it happens a lot ya know?

just that :D

yeah, that happens alot, cuz the editor thinks it looks better.

Rutegard
10-20-2008, 01:37 AM
yeah, that happens alot, cuz the editor thinks it looks better.

exactly what i was trying to said :p

Oxygene
01-04-2009, 08:26 AM
Sorry to revieve an old thread, but I translated this back in fucking 96 or something... and I might've made the scan too.. although I'm not sure.. either way, the translation is pretty accurate what you need to know is, aside from the few obvious gramatical mistakes:

some german dude made an interview in english, which he probably wrote down straight in german from the casette, he sent over the transcript - the german one - to some lazy hungarian fuck, who translated it over into hungarian, which I then in turn translated back into english.

Keep in mind, they had just a few hits, they had no clue their success would endure and Dexter does have a masters already.. and he had it at that point in time.. he prolly thought this wave will last for a year or two then back into obscurity.. like mini vanili :)

nameless
01-04-2009, 02:46 PM
the two things i noticed that seemed different from other stories is that.

firstly, the band were refused entry to the show in 1984 rather than not being able to get tickets, thats also the first time id heard about them messing about with the amps for two hours!

secondly, there were videos with james playing in the early days and the interview claims they didnt start playing shows until a year later when ron joined but ron didnt join until 1987!

Oxygene
01-04-2009, 02:55 PM
lost in translation.. well not my translation but lost anyway :)

RedFox
01-04-2009, 05:03 PM
u know...

it's not 100% fake, but of course something is just not right sometimes...

it's the way things go...usually so...kinda normal

i just take for granted those where u can actually hear them saying this stuff, those written interviews sometimes, in some parts, they fake it

this one looks just like it!

EDIT: no smoke? biochemestry? doctor in 2 yearS? LOLOL u totally see something is JUST not right ahahah

Totally Agree

haha

brian.offspring
01-04-2009, 06:57 PM
great interview, thanks ;)

Joyce
01-05-2009, 11:44 AM
hahhah funny interview..
He prefers the music better ..
it seems. :o
It's ok.. I cannot imagine my life without The Offspring. And Dexter, we need you!!
Well, don't be a professor, You have to play music! :D:D