PDA

View Full Version : How many bones have you already broken ?

Sofinch
10-18-2008, 05:38 AM
How many bones have you already broken ?

Me 4 : my both arms, my left leg and my left collar-bone

Splinter[PI]
10-18-2008, 05:41 AM
luckily I've never broken any of my bones^^

but I have a lot of problems with my knees.

JoY
10-18-2008, 05:46 AM
;1202875']luckily I've never broken any of my bones^^

though I'm usually not superstitious, I strongly advice you to knock on some wood. that's what I said about a week before I fell off my bike, breaking my right lower leg & ankle. then I said it again at the hospital, without the "luckily", but just in disbelief, to which the doc answered with; "well, now you did".

the_real_potomek
10-18-2008, 05:53 AM
only collar-bone, but it was long time ago, when I was bored:p

JoY
10-18-2008, 06:36 AM
it's good that you haven't been bored in a long time.

Free?
10-18-2008, 06:52 AM
I had some finger traumas in childhood, but I think there was only a small crack.
And my bone, luckily, is unbreakable :cool: ;).

Sofinch
10-18-2008, 07:03 AM
and my bone, luckily, is unbreakable :cool: ;).

lol :D !!!

Tijs
10-18-2008, 07:32 AM
One of my legs. Can't remember which one because I didn't even turn 1 yet.

Rutegard
10-18-2008, 07:35 AM
none!

i am a rock!

yellow
10-18-2008, 08:10 AM
only collar-bone, but it was long time ago, when I was bored:p
Please tell us more!!!!

In the fifth grade I fell off my horse and broke my arm.

HeadAroundU
10-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Luckily, no bones. :D

But I broke my wrist, the middle thumb knuckle and the first pinky knuckle. Goshdamn soccer.

JoY
10-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Please tell us more!!!!

In the fifth grade I fell off my horse and broke my arm.

how does that deserve a happy face at the top of your post?

nieh
10-18-2008, 08:41 AM
I broke a finger while playing basketball once, but that's it.

HeadAroundU
10-18-2008, 08:50 AM
I broke my hand and since then The Offspring is my favourite band.

Splinter[PI]
10-18-2008, 09:32 AM
though I'm usually not superstitious, I strongly advice you to knock on some wood. that's what I said about a week before I fell off my bike, breaking my right lower leg & ankle. then I said it again at the hospital, without the "luckily", but just in disbelief, to which the doc answered with; "well, now you did".

Ah well, shit happens.

I think the day I will break one of my bones will come anyway, so I won't knock on some wood. I'm having (sport-related) accidents all the time (a foot in my face last Thursday, some kind of involuntary high jump without mat before the holidays...) so who cares if I'm gonna break a bone.

T-6005
10-18-2008, 09:52 AM
I fractured my forearm once.

JoY
10-18-2008, 10:06 AM
;1202973']so who cares if I'm gonna break a bone.

uhh, you do, I'd say.
it's not something to be afraid of, because that's pretty pointless, but there's no need to take unnecessary risks either. maybe it sounds like it'll heal anyway & like 6 weeks to 2 months in cast isn't a big deal. maybe you even think it'd be pretty cool & that you'd look pretty tough in plaster cast.

but a fracture doesn't necessarily heal upto the point the bone/joint is in the same condition it was before & functions just as well. better yet, chances of that are pretty damn slim. & being immobilised & out of the running for that long is a pretty big deal.

suppose it's your leg, how will you get to school? the first week you probably won't care, maybe even enjoy some time off from school, but after a while it'll bug you. you miss out on classes, tests, exams, seeing schoolbuddies, having fun during class & schoolparties. you can't hang out with your friends - even if they visit, it's not the same. after the first couple of times & the first couple of weeks, they probably don't visit you as often anymore anyway, because their life pretty much goes on, while yours is standing still. sports become a no-no, not just the time you're in cast, but for a long long time after that, especially if it's a sport-related injury. & let me tell you, walking on crutches might seem no biggie, but after you get blisters on your hands, injure the nerve to your little finger with it & start walking funny, because your arms have gotten tired & you just can't keep up, you'll see that ain't all that convenient either.

believe me, I know, you'll care. especially if you're into sports.

yulka
10-18-2008, 10:18 AM
i broke my right hand fingers
man, that's pain

lost_nvrfound
10-18-2008, 10:46 AM
I've never broken anything that I know of for sure, though I am pretty sure I broke a couple toes back in the spring while rehearsing for a show that night. I jumped and landed wrong (twice). They didn't need to be reset, so I didn't bother with a visit to the ER. I just taped 'em up and did the show that night. Now thats commitment. They were a lovely black and blue the next day. It was pretty cool. :cool:

But I've never broken any bones that I know of for sure. Lots of dance and cheer injuries when I was younger. But nothing more than a strain usually. I did dislocate my middle finger once

Splinter[PI]
10-18-2008, 11:05 AM
it's not something to be afraid of, because that's pretty pointless

true.

maybe you even think it'd be pretty cool & that you'd look pretty tough in plaster cast.

not really, no xD

suppose it's your leg, how will you get to school? the first week you probably won't care, maybe even enjoy some time off from school, but after a while it'll bug you.

I had problems with my knee (cartilage atrophy) for about 1/2 year, and I wasn't able to do sports. I had to go to the weights room instead. That was pretty damn shitty. When I my knee was cured and I could go to my normal sports lessons with my classmates, it was a pretty good feeling, I really missed the team sports. So I have an idea of that case, even if only missed the sports lessons.

believe me, I know, you'll care. especially if you're into sports.

I am very into sports, but that's the reason I have those little injuries so often. if I don't give 100% in sports it does not really make sense to me.

But I'm actually kinda afraid of breaking my arm/wrist/fingers, because I play drums and it would take ages to train them back to their condition before I broke them. Also breaking my leg/foot wouldn't be that great. But as long it's only the collar bone or something similar, I really don't care.

Andy
10-18-2008, 11:18 AM
So far, so nothing. I've almost broken my nose about 3 times (rugby ball kick to face / classroom desk and not too long ago, drumstick to bridge of nose).

Sofinch
10-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I've almost broken my nose about 3 times (rugby ball kick to face / classroom desk and not too long ago, drumstick to bridge of nose).

me 2 and it's so f*cking painfull !!! I find it more painfull than breaking something

Andy
10-18-2008, 11:30 AM
In fact, I may have broke it. Well, not properly broken but maybe fractured a little. I've got a significant lump on the bridge and it has taken to clicking whenever I move the tip. Well, I can still breathe through it so that's all that matters.

Thinking about it, I've probably nearly broken fingers and toes many times over the years, and a few years ago I could have sworn I broke one of the bones in my right ear after I smacked it off a bookcase.

Ryder1234
10-18-2008, 11:48 AM
I broke my ring finger knuckle on my right hand last year. It healed noticeably lower than the opposite hand's knuckle.

Blitzkrieg Bop
10-18-2008, 12:35 PM
I broke my arm when I fell off my bike and my nose when I got hit in the face with a football

Slim Pickens The Bomb Rider
10-18-2008, 01:43 PM
None! iRock

JoY
10-18-2008, 02:21 PM
;1203017']
I am very into sports, but that's the reason I have those little injuries so often. if I don't give 100% in sports it does not really make sense to me.

But I'm actually kinda afraid of breaking my arm/wrist/fingers, because I play drums and it would take ages to train them back to their condition before I broke them. Also breaking my leg/foot wouldn't be that great. But as long it's only the collar bone or something similar, I really don't care.

haha, I'm glad you don't think it'd look cool. dude, that's one stupid reason to break a bone, but it wouldn't be the first time I'd heard that in my studies.

sorry about the kneeproblems. :/ that's got to have been a crappy situation. what sport do you do?
it's cool that you're so passionate about it & the good part is, that if you're good, you're in shape & in control of your muscles & they just cooperate. does that make sense? I mean to say that most often passion & practice eventually lead to less injuries. your body is your tool in most sports & with drumming, it's your arms, wrists, hands, footwork, you name it. you need to take care of your body the way you take care of the rest of your gear & better than that. it's not just a tool, it's you.

my ligaments have always been my weak spot. two weeks ago, I managed to damage a collateral ligament in my knee with being a freakin' goalie in field hockey. that's unfair, at least it feels that way after things I've given up (like my position in the field), because my joints weren't fit for it. but I've got to take it like it is. 4 years ago I wasn't so careful & broke my leg & ankle, because I fell off my bike drunk. my muscles weren't cooperating & my ligaments couldn't take the hit, so the bone did. I couldn't be operated, because I didn't go to the hospital till 10 hours later. because of that, 1.5 years later I had to be operated on the damn thing for posttraumatic arthrosis. it's chomped away a year of university & sometimes I still limp. my ankle fork is & will always be crooked, so when I make a wrong kick at the ball, the collateral ligament in my knee takes the hit.

just saying, it's not just sport-related injuries & the joints you have troubles with, your weak spot, you have to watch out for. you just named your arm, wrist, fingers, foot, leg as being important to you & excluded your collar bone. try rapidly moving your right arm, while pressing down on your right collar bone with your left hand. you feel that? it all needs to cooperate. just be careful. you can be passionate & careful at the same time, you know. ;]

sorry for the long post. I'm pretty serious about things like this, can you see? ;p

Thomas
10-18-2008, 02:24 PM
drumstick to bridge of nose

I feel your pain.

The bones I have broken though, were both my Ulna and Radius, like, at the same time. It was what they call a "Green stick" fracture, so it wasn't that bad, but it still sucked sitting out of p.e. every goddamn day of 6th grade watching all the other kids play dodgeball. :(:(:(

JoY
10-18-2008, 02:32 PM
So far, so nothing. I've almost broken my nose about 3 times (rugby ball kick to face / classroom desk and not too long ago, drumstick to bridge of nose).

poor Andy.

one time I almost broke my nose during sex. *coughs* while, you know.. because he was worried I was cold down there & came up to pull the blankets over me. sweet, but ouch...

the_real_potomek
10-18-2008, 02:40 PM
sorry, I meant to write that my collar-bone was broken when I was born:p I know, you have right to feel disappointed, it's not so interesting as if it was broken when I was bored:p

dr.vanessa
10-18-2008, 02:42 PM
HAPPILLY i haven't broken any bone yet[thank god] .....but who knows what comes next...............lolol:D:p:D

JoY
10-18-2008, 02:45 PM
sorry, I meant to write that my collar-bone was broken when I was born:p I know, you have right to feel disappointed, it's not so interesting as if it was broken when I was bored:p

hahaha, I thought that's what you meant. no plexus brachialis injury, I hope?

dr.vanessa
10-18-2008, 02:48 PM

LOOOOOOOOOOL HEHE:D

how did it happen?:(

JoY
10-18-2008, 02:53 PM
dr. vanessa; probably by being pushed down the narrow birth canal head first. sometimes one of the baby's shoulders gets trapped beneath the mother's pelvic bone.

dr.vanessa
10-18-2008, 03:09 PM
dr. vanessa; probably by being pushed down the narrow birth canal head first. sometimes one of the baby's shoulders gets trapped beneath the mother's pelvic bone.

lol i know that but it's not nessesary to happen that way it could be a ''malpractice''.............

Splinter[PI]
10-18-2008, 03:11 PM
haha, I'm glad you don't think it'd look cool. dude, that's one stupid reason to break a bone, but it wouldn't be the first time I'd heard that in my studies.

sorry about the kneeproblems. :/ that's got to have been a crappy situation. what sport do you do?
it's cool that you're so passionate about it & the good part is, that if you're good, you're in shape & in control of your muscles & they just cooperate. does that make sense? I mean to say that most often passion & practice eventually lead to less injuries. your body is your tool in most sports & with drumming, it's your arms, wrists, hands, footwork, you name it. you need to take care of your body the way you take care of the rest of your gear & better than that. it's not just a tool, it's you.

my ligaments have always been my weak spot. two weeks ago, I managed to damage a collateral ligament in my knee with being a freakin' goalie in field hockey. that's unfair, at least it feels that way after things I've given up (like my position in the field), because my joints weren't fit for it. but I've got to take it like it is. 4 years ago I wasn't so careful & broke my leg & ankle, because I fell off my bike drunk. my muscles weren't cooperating & my ligaments couldn't take the hit, so the bone did. I couldn't be operated, because I didn't go to the hospital till 10 hours later. because of that, 1.5 years later I had to be operated on the damn thing for posttraumatic arthrosis. it's chomped away a year of university & sometimes I still limp. my ankle fork is & will always be crooked, so when I make a wrong kick at the ball, the collateral ligament in my knee takes the hit.

just saying, it's not just sport-related injuries & the joints you have troubles with, your weak spot, you have to watch out for. you just named your arm, wrist, fingers, foot, leg as being important to you & excluded your collar bone. try rapidly moving your right arm, while pressing down on your right collar bone with your left hand. you feel that? it all needs to cooperate. just be careful. you can be passionate & careful at the same time, you know. ;]

sorry for the long post. I'm pretty serious about things like this, can you see? ;p

I don't do a particular sport, but I played table tennis for 2 years. But that was long before the knee problems appeared. I do a lot of sports tough; I have sports lessons in school (2x 45min/1x45min), I go to the weights room (2x per week) and I'm in the local gymnastics club, where we do a lot of different stuff like team sports but also artistic gymnastics, but not on a really decent level. In team sports it's usually [insert sport] + rugby. Stuff you'd be given a red card for in pro soccer occurs every single minute. But it's a lot of fun, especially when we play volleyball and I'm at the blocking position xD

Maybe I can trace back my knee problems to the fact that I was growing REALLY fast the last two years (I'm 1.90m now, I had my hand x-rayed and the doc said I'll be 1.92m. I'm 15, btw).

By the way, what are you studying? Medicine?

And yes, the your-body-is-your-tool-thing is right. I learned that I'm having less pain in my knees the more I train the muscles in my legs.

I tried pressing my collar bone and moving my arm. I know now what you mean, let's say I can break my nose, and I don't really need to care.:rolleyes:

Oh, and sorry for your accident. I never had problems with my ligaments tough, so I can't really relate to it.

the_real_potomek
10-18-2008, 03:18 PM
hahaha, I thought that's what you meant. no plexus brachialis injury, I hope?

I think not, I mean that my health has always been quite well so I think my broken couldn't have been serious.

LOOOOOOOOOOL HEHE:D

how did it happen?:(

it happen probably like JoY wrote, I don't remember how it was exactly...:p as my mother told me, it just happens sometimes.

dr.vanessa
10-18-2008, 03:57 PM
.it happen probably like JoY wrote, I don't remember how it was exactly...:p as my mother told me, it just happens sometimes.

yup that's true it's a common injury during birth but sometimes it's caused by a malpractice...

JoY
10-18-2008, 04:00 PM
;1203145']
Maybe I can trace back my knee problems to the fact that I was growing REALLY fast the last two years (I'm 1.90m now, I had my hand x-rayed and the doc said I'll be 1.92m. I'm 15, btw).

By the way, what are you studying? Medicine?

And yes, the your-body-is-your-tool-thing is right. I learned that I'm having less pain in my knees the more I train the muscles in my legs.

I tried pressing my collar bone and moving my arm. I know now what you mean, let's say I can break my nose, and I don't really need to care.:rolleyes:

growing fast could cause some joint problems, especially in the knees, so yeah, that's possible. good that you're working on your leg muscles, so they can support your joints.

hahaha @ the nose. I was trying to imagine a sport you use your nose for. to answer your question, yes.

oh don't worry about the accident. I was just telling you that, because I didn't want you to think too lightly of things like these & watch out for injuries. I didn't mean you should be able to relate to crappy ligaments specifically, but I figured you could probably relate to having a physical weakness (even who says he can't, most likely can) & knee/joint problems that interfere with sports & the likes. & just to say a bone fracture can have pretty nasty consequences & doesn't always heal that smoothly.

to dr.vanessa - when a baby's shoulder gets caught behind the pelvic bone (which the doc can't really help), there's a reasonable risk for plexus brachialis injury. that happens, if the doctor doesn't recognise what's going on & pulls the head to speed birth & advices the mother to push even harder. since that obviously has been avoided, I don't think there's reason to think it was malpractice. a broken collar bone is a relatively mild injury, much worse things could have happened. plus, I can't imagine any other way a baby could break the collar bone when being born, than the shoulder getting stuck. large baby, small hole. any other way, a doc would have to do very strange things to establish a broken collar bone in a baby, that would most likely fall under child abuse. ;p

Camilamazed
10-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Thank goodness I have never had the misfortune. My bones are still intact.

=D

Gustavo
10-18-2008, 04:36 PM
One. One of my right fist's bone... I was kinda pissed off and I guess I hit something because of my anger, next thing I know is that it swelled. I thought it was a regular injury with no broken bone, I went to the hospital 5 days after it and they told me it was broken. I kinda enjoyed it, because I was in the fourth grade, and I wasn't able to write because of the splint, of course... so, no homework for 1 month :) ...

Stylie
10-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Zero. None. ^^

Andy
10-18-2008, 06:54 PM
one time I almost broke my nose during sex. *coughs* while, you know.. because he was worried I was cold down there & came up to pull the blankets over me. sweet, but ouch...

Are we talking head-to-nose here?

Bipolar Bear
10-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I've never broken a bone.
What about boners

Andy
10-18-2008, 06:58 PM
I've broken a boner.

Fucking pervert had it coming to him.

Yup, I'm several thoousand times less funny when I'm drunk

lost_nvrfound
10-19-2008, 02:10 AM
Usually I am the odd man out (*cough* well... girl) when it comes to having not broken any bones, but finally I am not the only one.

I swear! Nose injuries are far worse than anything I've ever felt (even when compared to my injured toes earlier this year, which had me limping a bit for a while and they still ache occasionally if i stand wrong) Once my brother punched me in the nose (we really don't understand how or why this happened), but my nose was a little swollen and very painful for a good long time. I think it took a month for it to stop hurting completely. hmm... i wonder if he cracked it... idk... i don't like getting x-rays or anything like that, so I don't if i can avoid it.

and finally, I love the fact that I actually know the bone names and what "greenstick fracture" means. I took an emergency medical service course this summer. In-freaking-credible how much you can learn in three months!

dr.vanessa
10-19-2008, 03:12 AM
to dr.vanessa - when a baby's shoulder gets caught behind the pelvic bone (which the doc can't really help), there's a reasonable risk for plexus brachialis injury. that happens, if the doctor doesn't recognise what's going on & pulls the head to speed birth & advices the mother to push even harder. since that obviously has been avoided, I don't think there's reason to think it was malpractice. a broken collar bone is a relatively mild injury, much worse things could have happened. plus, I can't imagine any other way a baby could break the collar bone when being born, than the shoulder getting stuck. large baby, small hole. any other way, a doc would have to do very strange things to establish a broken collar bone in a baby, that would most likely fall under child abuse. ;p
i've already said that i agree with what you said...i'm takiing gynecology's lessons in college this period(the general part not as a specialization)and during a birth a young doc new in specialization ''caused'' a broken collarbone and our teacher told us that it was a kind of malpractice cause if he was more experianced it could've been avoided that's why i asked..:):p:)

Titus
10-19-2008, 07:26 AM
to lost_nvrfound: ouch, hurting the nose is just terrible, any hit in there and it will hurt a lot.

I have never broken any bones, and I really donīt anderstand it. I have hurted myself millions times. Once I was walking in some wall, it was about 10 feet high. I tripped hit my eye, almost lose my right eye vision, and fall down, 10 feet, hit my back in a rock.... I felt no pain, I was too scared that I could never see again that pain became mind over matter

Bodom J
10-19-2008, 10:54 AM
i broke a few of my ribs in a truck wreck

lost_nvrfound
10-19-2008, 11:06 AM
to lost_nvrfound: ouch, hurting the nose is just terrible, any hit in there and it will hurt a lot.

I have never broken any bones, and I really donīt anderstand it. I have hurted myself millions times. Once I was walking in some wall, it was about 10 feet high. I tripped hit my eye, almost lose my right eye vision, and fall down, 10 feet, hit my back in a rock.... I felt no pain, I was too scared that I could never see again that pain became mind over matter

Part of feeling no pain would've been caused by a dopamine (natural pain killing horomone in your body that many drugs either mimick or increase the release of in your body) and adrenaline rush. Its really cool how the body can deal so readily with something fairly traumatic (however short lived it may be). You could cut off a limb and not feel a thing. CRAZY!

And to Bodom J, yikes! I hear that ribs are some of the worst cause there is nothing you can do about it.

Titus
10-19-2008, 11:18 AM
My theory is that pain is mind over matter, just like cold, love and everything else

KHWHD
10-19-2008, 11:24 AM
My baby finger and my baby toe twice.

Omni
10-19-2008, 01:32 PM
I broke my collar bone my senior year of high school. I was walking along and all of the sudden I get tackled. The irony is we were in Wellness class on a "Wellness Walk," which was pretty much an excuse to get out and burn a class hour.

Splinter[PI]
10-19-2008, 02:23 PM
I broke my collar bone my senior year of high school. I was walking along and all of the sudden I get tackled. The irony is we were in Wellness class on a "Wellness Walk," which was pretty much an excuse to get out and burn a class hour.

Shit happens.

JoY
10-20-2008, 03:03 AM
Are we talking head-to-nose here?

the tears immediately sprung into my eyes, oh yes.
but of course nothing could stop me from satisfying my man. ;p

dr.vanessa - alright, cool. :]

Rutegard
10-20-2008, 03:49 AM
My baby finger and my baby toe twice.

how did u do that?

Budzy
10-20-2008, 04:51 AM
How many bones have you already broken ?

Me 4 : my both arms, my left leg and my left collar-bone

Shite. You were bottle-fed? :D

WebDudette
10-21-2008, 02:31 AM
I haven't broken any bones to my knowledge. But a couple months ago I jammed my fingers into the ceiling of a car playing some silly strip game, they still hurt.

Offspring Gangsta
10-21-2008, 07:48 AM
broke my nose, foot and thumb. fractured my elbow. and dislocated my shoulder like 5+ times
good memories

Jules69
10-21-2008, 08:53 PM
0 none!!:D

F@ BANKZ
10-22-2008, 09:24 AM
None *touch wood*

Touch wood is one of the few superstitions I abide by, along with not walking under ladders or crossing on the stairs. I will, however, cross a black cat on stairs, although I try to evade regular cats on them unless absolutely necessary.

bighead384
10-22-2008, 09:58 AM
I broke my ring finger knuckle on my right hand last year. It healed noticeably lower than the opposite hand's knuckle.

Wow. I have the EXACT same problem. Same hand and everything. It's a little lower than the other knuckle.

Offspring-Junkie
10-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Not a bone. Never broken anything.

nameless
10-23-2008, 05:18 PM
i broke my nose once, i dont remember it being painful, only it bleeding badly for over an hour!

SK8rocka
10-24-2008, 03:03 AM
I broke my foot jumping of a roof, yeah, dumb idea because i was like 12 and i had to crawl home (about 2 k's) yeah.

edit: i didnt cry until after them grrls left

medi01
10-24-2008, 03:09 AM
none. hopeing to keep it that way