PDA

View Full Version : I love the offsrping, but...

futurejanitor
10-18-2008, 03:41 PM
I love the offspring, they where the first band that I discovered on my own when I was in elementary school, but their new album and especially their new "your gonna go far video" kinda sucks. There are a couple of good songs on rage and grace, but its not the offspring that I'm use too. What a crappy video, ids fighting in school yards would have been awesome.

I want people to know that i will always care for the offspring. the purpose of this post is to bring to attention the "slipping" of the offspring from their awesome and inspiring past.

Gustavo
10-18-2008, 03:47 PM
There will always be threads like this.
If they had chosen to have an old-school album, like Smash or so... Someone would say "WTF? They're the same, they never do something different"... Now they chose to do something sort of different, people say "WTF? That's not the Offspring I know..." :P
Anyway, I'd rather listen to the old albums, but I still do think that Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace is good...

I don't care much about videos too, but I'm kinda sick of animation videoclipes, I mean, they're great... But we need some videoclipes that actually show the band :P (Not a live one, please!)

Manzanubrio
10-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I love the offspring, they where the first band that I discovered on my own when I was in elementary school, but their new album and especially their new "your gonna go far video" kinda sucks. There are a couple of good songs on rage and grace, but its not the offspring that I'm use too. What a crappy video, ids fighting in school yards would have been awesome.

I want people to know that i will always care for the offspring. the purpose of this post is to bring to attention the "slipping" of the offspring from their awesome and inspiring past.

I agree with u. Since they play more what the people like (or to be in fashion) instead of what they like (punk rock, I suppose), they are nasty. I only like a half songs they have composed in each album since Americana (not included :D)

Americana98
10-18-2008, 03:55 PM
I think that Rise and Fall Rage and Grace is one of my favorite CD's that The Offspring have ever made...but I'll admit the videos for it have sucked.

rlplaymaker
10-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Like Dexter said...Sometimes you lose one set of fans and gain another set. TO be honest, Punk Rawk fans, who ONLY like Punk Rock prolly wont like Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace that much. Why? Becuase they want another Ignition everytime the Offspring release something. But people with broader horizons, like myself, who love punk rock along with 20 other genres, will appreciate it a bit more. I think the album is pretty solid.

As for the videos for the album.....yea they suck hard. I wanna see the fucking band in a video.

Stylie
10-18-2008, 04:23 PM
TO be honest, Punk Rawk fans, who ONLY like Punk Rock prolly wont like Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace that much.

They "prolly" won't like Ixnay, Americana, Conspiracy of One or Splinter either then. The Offspring isn't JUST punk rock. They're in all genres; punk rock, skate punk, pop punk, alternativ rock... Every single album is different.

cool 2 hate 681
10-18-2008, 04:41 PM
There will always be threads like this.
If they had chosen to have an old-school album, like Smash or so... Someone would say "WTF? They're the same, they never do something different"... Now they chose to do something sort of different, people say "WTF? That's not the Offspring I know..." :P
Anyway, I'd rather listen to the old albums, but I still do think that Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace is good

well i think takes me nowhere is the best song on rafrag and i also think they should stick with what made them which of course is punk rock

Budzy
10-18-2008, 07:06 PM
well i think takes me nowhere is the best song on rafrag and i also think they should stick with what made them which of course is punk rock

Well i'm happy with them branching out a little. Gone away was a very different song for them at the time and look how far that went.
but i really do hope they dont try anything like 'fix you' again.

Bipolar Bear
10-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Thanks for your opinion.
Here's mine: they aren't slipping and their new album kicks ass.
To be honest, I think their musical peak was at ignition :) but apart from that album the new
ablum is pretty tight and as good is as the other ones.

SK8rocka
10-18-2008, 09:16 PM
But people with broader horizons, like myself, who love punk rock along with 20 other genres, will appreciate it a bit more. I think the album is pretty solid.

As for the videos for the album.....yea they suck hard. I wanna see the fucking band in a video.

yeah the offspring arent just punkrock, they're punk rock and beyond!!!

And remember ITS NOT WHAT YOU SEE, BUT WHAT YOU HEAR!!!!!!

Amiralanal
10-19-2008, 04:13 AM
We dont need this shitty thread! FUCK OFF!

Rutegard
10-19-2008, 04:19 AM
its not what you see, but what you hear!!!!!!

GFT yeah :D :D :D

nightvision
10-19-2008, 04:49 AM
We dont need this shitty thread! FUCK OFF!

I 2nd that.

I was about to write a longer post about the subject but then I changed my mind, these stupid threads will always reappear so why bother? Basically, if you like bands that makes the same song over and over again, go listen to NOFX (I like them but they are a bit repetitive). It's kinda silly really since The Offspring generally isn't known for mixing up their sound too much.

yellow
10-19-2008, 04:51 AM
People lets get real!!! ok Stop holding the Offspring to unrealistics expectations, of thinking that if you dont't like every single song on an album videos, the and has some how lost it or declined. Rage and Grace has a lot of great songs just like Conspiracy of One.
I personally love the Offspring unconditionally and appreciate their growth and development as muscians.
And the bullshit about their first few albums being the peak of their success for the band needs to stop immediately. The offspring are only getting better and better. Anyone with a brain knows that. The fact that they play differnt genres of music is considered a good thing. OMG! it would be soooo fucking boring if the Offspring only played one style of music.
The fathers of music (Bach, Mozart, & Beethoven) created great music at the beginning of their careers but then went on to create their best music at the end of their careers .I believe the Offspring will do the same.

randman21
10-19-2008, 04:55 AM
Yeah, you've gotta let go of your tru punxness and accept that they don't always want to fit into what you want. And, really, if you don't like it, don't take it as an affront to your personal happiness and well-being. How's your life, otherwise? Love the Offspring, and it enjoy you. :D

ad8
10-19-2008, 05:52 AM

I agree with you, but I think RAFRAG is exactly what the band wanted to do. Dexter always said that he wanted his music to develop with every new album they release. I don't think he intends to make an album like Ignition, S/T or Smash again... and I like RAFRAG... there are some songs on it that are really top class, imo.

Rooster
10-19-2008, 06:13 AM

Eh, you could have written your opinion in the thread for user reviews, there was absolutely no need to create another thread about the same topic. I kind of agree with you about the videos, i would really like to see the band in them, but i don't care that much about the videos anymore, as long as the songs still rock. And for me, they DO rock.

And i'm going to write again what had been written million times before:

If you had your own band, would you record the same style songs over and over again just to please fans, or would you do what YOU want and to please YOURSELF? Because that's what i think the bands should do. And it looks like this is exactly what The Offspring had done with RAFRAG. Some of their best material is on RAFRAG, and two of my all-time favorite The Offspring songs are on it - Trust In You and Half-Truism.

And like said before, there would always be someone complaining about a new album - if the album was like Smash part 2 people would constantly compare it to Smash, and would keep saying how the new album sucks ass because the band only repeated themselves and weren't able to create something fresh and new. On the other hand, if the album was recorded the way it is now, there would be some complaining (as it is now) that they changed their style too much (which they didn't), that they sold out (although they have been on a MAJOR LABEL for more than a decade), and that they don't sound like The Offspring any more. So i'm certainly not surprised there are still people complaining about the album. And the good thing about them trying something they haven't done before is that this way their old albums are still interesting - if each album is something different from all other albums, they never get old.

Don't get me wrong, you can have your opinion, just think a bit about what i've written.

mrs_hollandova
10-19-2008, 09:08 AM
lol offsrping hehe

Grimesy da Offspringfan
10-19-2008, 09:12 AM
"Life goes on, come of age, can't hol on, turn the page, time rolls on, wipe these eyes, yesterday laughs, tomorrow cries..." :)
And RAFRAG is the best album i've ever heard :)

bouncingcoles
10-19-2008, 09:39 AM

i dont disagree with you

Little_Miss_1565
10-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Agreed with those who say that the people who think the band are "slipping" are just trying to force their own ideations of what the band should be on them. They're doing exactly whatever they want to do, which is what they set out to do in the first place. If it's no longer your cuppa tea, then that's fine, but you can't say that they suck now and whatever. That is patently false.

Bodom J
10-19-2008, 10:56 AM
video killed the rock star and judging by this forum it's never been more true. Who the FUCK cares if ANY video is good or not? It's not about a video, it's about the music. These days if a band doesn't have a good video then no one cares. people will like or hate a song based on a motherfucking video. it's not right. it's why mainstream music sucks now. it's pathetic. fuck every one of you.

Omni
10-19-2008, 11:32 AM

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing even mildly, minutely disappointing about this album is that those bastards - a-fucking-gain -make us wait yet another album to hear Pass Me By.

This is my second or third favorite album of the Offspring (sorry, Ixnay is a punk masterpiece that will never be topped in my eyes). And as far as I can tell, your argument is that this record sucks because of the less-than-orthodox way they've chosen to direct their videos.

If you don't like the new album, well, that's fine. But when you say they're "slipping" what exactly does that mean? Most of the fanbase and a majority of the critics have embraced this album. Hammerhead rocked the radios and You're Gonna Go Far Kid is their best received single to date, and that's saying a lot when you're the band that made Smash and set the record for highest-selling independent album of all time by a landslide. You better fucking believe they still have it. They won't go multiplatinum again because actually purchasing music is considered an outmoded idea by most people, but the charts and reviews don't lie. This record is solid, it has no electronic samples or dick-around effects of anykind. It's strictly for those who want to rock.

nightvision
10-19-2008, 11:47 AM
You're Gonna Go Far Kid is their best received single to date

Huh? No it's not.

Stylie
10-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Huh? No it's not.

...since Americana's Pretty Fly, yes.

Blitzkrieg Bop
10-19-2008, 12:39 PM
All I can say in response to this thread is ... I love the Offspring ... NO BUT

Sofinch
10-19-2008, 12:40 PM
All I can say in response to this thread is ... I love the Offspring ... NO BUT

I agree with Blitzkrieg Bop

Omni
10-19-2008, 01:05 PM
...since Americana's Pretty Fly, yes.

Pretty Fly peaked at #3 on the charts. You're Gonna Go Far Kid has been sitting at #1 for four weeks now, longer than Come Out and Play, Gone Away, or Hit that.

nightvision
10-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Pretty Fly peaked at #3 on the charts. You're Gonna Go Far Kid has been sitting at #1 for four weeks now, longer than Come Out and Play, Gone Away, or Hit that.

On what chart? Which charts counts? It sure as hell ain't #1 in Sweden. Pretty Fly on the other hand was #1 on Swedish Voxpop in 1999 for several weeks :p.

Omni
10-19-2008, 02:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring_discography

There are two rock charts in the US that bands like the Offspring chart on. Pretty Fly didn't reach #1 on either, the offspring has reached #1 on one, and stayed there longer than any of their previous songs.

Stylie
10-19-2008, 02:31 PM
On what chart? Which charts counts? It sure as hell ain't #1 in Sweden. Pretty Fly on the other hand was #1 on Swedish Voxpop in 1999 for several weeks :p.

YEAH! Same in Norway! Number ONE! ...and so with Self Esteem. :D
And yes Omni, I understand what you mean.

Rutegard
10-19-2008, 02:39 PM
YEAH! Same in Norway! Number ONE! ...and so with Self Esteem. :D
And yes Omni, I understand what you mean.

yes

that guys has a point

i never thought about it that way before!!

nightvision
10-19-2008, 02:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Offspring_discography

There are two rock charts in the US that bands like the Offspring chart on. Pretty Fly didn't reach #1 on either, the offspring has reached #1 on one, and stayed there longer than any of their previous songs.

Thanks for the link.

"You're Gonna Go Far, Kid" has been successful on US rock radio stations, reaching the top of the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.[3] So far, the song has spent four weeks at #1, making it the longest-running #1 song ever for the band, and the third to hit that position."

Wow, not bad!

brian.offspring
10-19-2008, 08:32 PM
it would be very boring for them if they make the same
style of records over and over...
they want to bring us something new and different when they come out
with a new record.

Cock Joke
10-19-2008, 09:46 PM
it would be very boring for them if they make the same
style of records over and over...
they want to bring us something new and different when they come out
with a new record.

Yea man. I'm a huge Ignition fan myself, but imagine if all eight albums had the exact same style and feel as Ignition. I would not be the rambunctious fan that I am today!

Omni
10-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the link.

"You're Gonna Go Far, Kid" has been successful on US rock radio stations, reaching the top of the Billboard Modern Rock Tracks chart.[3] So far, the song has spent four weeks at #1, making it the longest-running #1 song ever for the band, and the third to hit that position."

Wow, not bad!

Yeah, when I made that little rant, I didn't take into account that I'd probably be alienating the fans outside of the U.S, who're just as important as every U.S fan. Sorry for the confusion there. Pretty Fly did chart higher internationally, but looking at the sales statistics, anywhere from 25-50% of every Offspring album is sold in the U.S, so I was just using the American charts as my example. In the States, YGGFK is by far their best received single of the four they'd had that managed to reach #1 (One was on a different rock chart, which is why the site says three instead of four. But they've had four #1s altogether).

Point is, they're not slipping. They're stronger/as strong as ever.