PDA

View Full Version : maybe a little outdated but still confusing me!

originalpranxter
10-20-2008, 06:20 PM
concerning Ixnay on the Hombre:

i get mad every time someone qoutes dex saying : "Ixnay on the hombre means fuck authority" because of how i interperated it since the first time i listened to it.

The way I see it, its a mixture of three languages.
Not a language persai: Ixnay (i believe) is pig latin for Nix meaning take it easy

on the is english and self explanitory

and Hombre is spanish for homie

so all togethor, is it not "Take it easy on the homie(s)?

maybe someone can elaborate on this or even clear it up.

EMehl6
10-20-2008, 06:30 PM
concerning Ixnay on the Hombre:

i get mad every time someone qoutes dex saying : "Ixnay on the hombre means fuck authority" because of how i interperated it since the first time i listened to it.

The way I see it, its a mixture of three languages.
Not a language persai: Ixnay (i believe) is pig latin for Nix meaning take it easy

on the is english and self explanitory

and Hombre is spanish for homie

so all togethor, is it not "Take it easy on the homie(s)?

maybe someone can elaborate on this or even clear it up.

Nope. Nix is pig latin, but nix doesn't mean take it easy. It means get rid of. Example: "you need to nix that", which means, get rid of that. And Hombre is Spanish for man.

So, Ixnay on the Hombre basically means 'nix the man'.

WebDudette
10-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Ixnay on the Hombre literally means 'get rid of the man' or 'nix the man'. I can see how people would think of 'fuck the man' or 'fuck authority'.

nameless
10-20-2008, 07:27 PM
ive never heard people quoting dexter for that meaning!

Cock Joke
10-20-2008, 07:37 PM
What they all said. Ixnay=get rid of & Hombre=man.

lost_nvrfound
10-20-2008, 08:15 PM
hahaha... you know, I never really thought about it until now... lol

Budzy
10-20-2008, 11:15 PM
I always that Ixnay meant easy aswell, meaning 'Easy on the Man' But there was another thread like this a while back and I got shut down real quick. :D

Stylie
10-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Ixnay on the Hombre literally means 'get rid of the man' or 'nix the man'. I can see how people would think of 'fuck the man' or 'fuck authority'.

Yeah, I have heard 'Fuch the man".

originalpranxter
10-21-2008, 11:18 AM
hehe
well i guess i was close,
thanks a lot

Free?
10-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Not about "take it easy" and "homie" parts though. But you were absolutely correct about "on the" part!
Where did you get that translation of Hombre? You better do not try to offend all the spanish men like that. ;)

lost_nvrfound
10-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Not about "take it easy" and "homie" parts though. But you were absolutely correct about "on the" part!
Where did you get that translation of Hombre? You better do not try to offend all the spanish men like that. ;)

hombre is very often used in that sense. At least as far as i've read/heard, it seems to be used in that kind of context.

I don't know how people are misunderstanding nix though. :confused: