PDA

View Full Version : "Local music"

Llamas
10-20-2008, 06:43 PM
So I was at my favorite CD store today, looking for something in the local section, and I decided to browse the entire section, which I've never done before. I started to come across something I thought was kind of odd; bands that are fairly famous in the Local section. Replacements, Semisonic, Soul Asylum, Mason Jennings... the first three especially just seemed odd. I mean, I understand the idea that, well they're from here, so they're "local"... but do people really look in the local section to find these bands? Wouldn't you be more inclined to just go look in the modern rock section? I know it doesn't really matter, and they probably are also located in the modern rock section... but I just didn't understand the point of having them in the local section.

Discuss?

coke_a_holic
10-20-2008, 07:16 PM
To create pride in your otherwise miserable local scene?

In DC, the music is all pretty much terrible, I find solace in knowing that at some point, Fugazi formed here, as did Ted Leo and the Pharmacists.

Because everything else is shit.

Llamas
10-20-2008, 07:29 PM

In DC, the music is all pretty much terrible, I find solace in knowing that at some point, Fugazi formed here, as did Ted Leo and the Pharmacists.

hahaha, maybe. Our music scene is pretty good, though. Bob Dylan, Replacements, Jennings, Atmosphere, Husker Du/Bob Mould, Soul Asylum, Prince, Babes in Toyland, one member of The Hold Steady is from here (quite a few songs about the twin cities), POS, Brother Ali... it goes on.

We actually tend to have a lot of pride in our music scene... so I don't get why we'd bother?

coke_a_holic
10-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Two members from The Hold Steady are, Craig Finn and the guitarist, but they moved off to New York, which leads me to: I mean local bands, like, local local; the children still living in your hometown trying to make it big.

The bands you mentioned are the same sort of thing, groups who hit it big in your local area and essentially gtfo'd for the most part. The local section is supposed to be like "Check it out, people went places with music inspired by our city!" and just to instill a sense of connection with the music and the area that might not even really be that present in the songs. Actual local acts are nearly always awful; there's a reason most bands don't make it big.

That sort of deal.

nieh
10-20-2008, 08:46 PM

Q and not U! Black Eyes! The Dismemberment Plan/Travis Morrison!

coke_a_holic
10-20-2008, 09:05 PM
I mean, yeah, DC has Dischord and Black Flag, I was just pointing out the first two to come to mind of local-bands-who-left-and-got-famous.

Llamas
10-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Meh, yeah then I guess all we're left with is the hip hop (Atmosphere, Brother Ali, POS) and Dillinger Four, lol. I guess I just figured that the local section was supposed to be just actual local bands? But I see where you're coming from... Unless you live in Chicago, LA or NYC, when bands get big, they leave.

jacknife737
10-21-2008, 01:32 AM
Hey now, having D4 puts your scene ahead of most others, in my book.

The Kingston punk scene have some really great local bands. Nothing that would get too much attention nationally, but a great way to kill a Thursday night if you've got nothing else to do.

The three biggest band's from K-Town would be the Tragically Hip (arguably the greatest Canadian rock band), Bedouin Soundclash and The Mahones (great celtic-punk); so i suppose we do alright.

Llamas
10-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Tragically Hip

They're quite good, I must say.

Minneapolis really does have a good scene of local stuff that nobody's heard outside of Minnesota, though, as well. Our hip hop, folk, and punk scenes are really good (though I'm not really into the punk stuff anymore). But the hip hop and folk festivals are awesome.

Thomas
10-21-2008, 04:20 PM
*sigh* The biggest bands to come out of Tucson were the Sand Rubies and Ryanhood (who actually went to my high school, which doesn't matter because you've never heard of them).

Both Alice Cooper and Paul McCartney do have homes here, though, which is pretty awesome.

WebDudette
10-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Well, if its any consolation, I'm stuck with Job for a Cowboy.

Have you heard of the bands 'the Johnny Come Latelys', 'Raise the Flag', or 'Running Thing'? All of them are friends of mine.

If you haven't, I think you might like the Johnny Come Latelys. (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=287366738)

OffspringHead
10-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Coheed and Cambria grew up around where I live in Nyack, New York and played all the good local venues that I play. They were called Shabutie back when they were around here. Thieves and Villians just got signed to Victory Records and they're from around where I live. And the band Southcott who got fairly big but are broken up now. We have an amazing local scene where I live. =D

Betty
10-22-2008, 12:33 PM
I agree that it's kinda strange, but I think if I found "The Replacements" in the local section of my local music store, I would be all excited.

It's a good thing!

coke_a_holic
10-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Coheed and Cambria grew up around where I live in Nyack, New York and played all the good local venues that I play.

From the Arrogant Sons Of Bitches Bio: "In 2001 Many members quit and the remnants of Arrogant Sons Of Bitches played a show in upstate New York on a driving range with a new band and featuring members of Shabooti. Jeff Rosenstock stated to his girlfriend, "If this band ever gets big, I want you to kill me." The band ended up being Coheed and Cambria."

nieh
10-22-2008, 08:11 PM
From the Arrogant Sons Of Bitches Bio: "In 2001 Many members quit and the remnants of Arrogant Sons Of Bitches played a show in upstate New York on a driving range with a new band and featuring members of Shabooti. Jeff Rosenstock stated to his girlfriend, "If this band ever gets big, I want you to kill me." The band ended up being Coheed and Cambria."

That reminds me of my friend Jack who had a friend ask him a long time ago if he wanted to join their band. He turned them down because he thought they sucked and would never amount to anything. The band turned out to be Midtown. He was part right.

originalpranxter
10-28-2008, 04:52 PM
yeah, I love the local scene around here (Mid-Michigan)
especially the Detriot through Jackson areas are like, ALL pretty good punk bands.
not a lot of big ones come through or around here though...
ive seen Breaking Ben and Three DAys Grace (not that great(besides BB))
and i plan to see Rise Against and Thrice, but both were and will be in Detroit (quite a FUCKING drive!!!)

a lot of really good local bands = not many BIG bands come through :(