PDA

View Full Version : As soon as I use a word like gradient on google.

T-6005
10-23-2008, 12:45 PM
The overwhelming majority of results point me towards scholarly articles.

What's up with that?

Also, how much do you hate people who, when attempting to speak Spanish, deliberately slur their words to attempt to sound more authentic?

I hate them a lot. They don't sound authentic - they sound like have a mouthful of bad burrito.

BURN.

HeadAroundU
10-23-2008, 12:56 PM
The overwhelming majority of results point me towards scholarly articles.

What's up with that?
What would you expect? It's used in math but I can't be bothered to give you "Endymion" reply. :d

T-6005
10-23-2008, 12:58 PM
There is more than one application of the word, HAU. I was actually looking up gender gradient to check something somebody told me, but all of a sudden I'm up to my head in PDF files.

Also, your leaving was kind unsuccessful, eh?

HeadAroundU
10-23-2008, 01:11 PM
I bet there is. That's all I know. Also, some would say it's used in "ugly" math. Not ugly enough for Endymion. :D

- 10 000 leet points. WTF, is my sarcasm detector broken? :d

XYlophonetreeZ
10-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Also, how much do you hate people who, when attempting to speak Spanish, deliberately slur their words to attempt to sound more authentic?
What do you mean by "slur"? "Slurred" wouldn't normally be an adjective I'd use to describe Spanish. Except for the Central American way of pronouncing intervocalic g's, e.g. "lao" for "lago."

hshduppsnt
10-23-2008, 06:01 PM
What would you expect? It's used in math but I can't be bothered to give you "Endymion" reply. :d

Haha, yeah I'm sure he'd have a good one :) -

There is more than one application of the word, HAU. I was actually looking up gender gradient to check something somebody told me, but all of a sudden I'm up to my head in PDF files.

it is a very important Calculus term and is use in a lot of sciences. We aren't simply talking gradient in terms of a function in 3-space even, but things like concentration gradients in bio/chemistry. So, that is why, despite being used in other fields, it is a predominantly math and science type of article you will find when searching gradient. Not much way around it aside from not using it as the primary word in your search

ninthlayer
10-23-2008, 10:54 PM
Search for watermelon with the safe-filter off. Third page. What. The. Fuck.

Vera
10-24-2008, 04:45 AM
Taiwanese art cinema, ninth, that's what.

SK8rocka
10-24-2008, 04:58 AM
bangladesh

ninthlayer
10-24-2008, 06:44 AM
Wait, my bad. Page four of watermelon image search.

T-6005
10-24-2008, 09:48 AM
it is a very important Calculus term and is use in a lot of sciences. We aren't simply talking gradient in terms of a function in 3-space even, but things like concentration gradients in bio/chemistry. So, that is why, despite being used in other fields, it is a predominantly math and science type of article you will find when searching gradient. Not much way around it aside from not using it as the primary word in your search

I never debated that. I'm just saying that there is more than one application.

Which is still true, thanks.

As for the slurring, I mean that in order to achieve that sense of fluency that you can hear in a native Spanish speaker's voice, that sort of quick, nonhesitant flow of words, they deliberately speak sloppily so that it sounds like their words are flowing into each other the same way. It just end up sounding like meaningless garbage.

HeadAroundU
10-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Reply #2, I didn't intend to leave. You never dreamed about your own "My lame "I'm leaving the BSS"" thread? :p