PDA

View Full Version : Nothingtown (Word Meanings)

Camilamazed
10-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Need some help with some sentences. I'll be very glad to hear you guys.

1) Thinking is overrated

Does this mean that thinking too much is not going to help them? So it's basically "Just go and do it"?

2) Tear down these picket fences
Burn in our beds

(Let's)Tear down these picket fences
(we) burn in our beds

Meaning they are dying to do something to get out of the town?

3) Blindfold a new direction

Does this mean that the direction doesn't matter, as long as they leave town?

4) and I'll row it if you steer ir

Like You jump, I jump?

Budzy
10-24-2008, 07:52 PM
I think your pretty much spot on with all of them.

Cock Joke
10-24-2008, 08:19 PM
I'd say so.

randman21
10-25-2008, 12:13 AM
Damn, I remember when you used to actually need help on these. I'd say you got it.

Free?
10-25-2008, 04:23 AM
"Thinking is overrated" could also show that the person who's going to escape the Nothingtown was thinking too much about his imprisonment, he finally got sick of thinking and decides to just do. Yeah, like you said it, Camila.

"Burn in our beds while the city lies sleeping" seems like points at those "thinking times", when at nights he couldn't sleep and was struggling himself and the "no escape" situation he's in.

I have nothing more to add to the rest of what you said.

selF_LexA
10-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Dexter write such great lyrics, I love to listen to the songs and try to figure out they're meaning, it's always something that leaves me like:"OOOhh...:rolleyes:". Still, they can all be interpreted in different ways by different people.

medi01
10-25-2008, 12:30 PM
"Thinking is overrated" could also show that the person who's going to escape the Nothingtown was thinking too much about his imprisonment, he finally got sick of thinking and decides to just do. Yeah, like you said it, Camila.

"Burn in our beds while the city lies sleeping" seems like points at those "thinking times", when at nights he couldn't sleep and was struggling himself and the "no escape" situation he's in.

i think some people really read too much into the lyrics. the guys are musicians, they write songs not poetry, and all though its very good and does have underlying meanings, without there confirmation noone is ever gonna guess exactly what it means unless you just take it literally

Camilamazed
10-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Thank you all guys for spending sometime to read this and help me.

Damn, I remember when you used to actually need help on these. I'd say you got it.

I am flattered.;)

That's exactly what crossed my mind too.

i think some people really read too much into the lyrics. the guys are musicians, they write songs not poetry, and all though its very good and does have underlying meanings, without there confirmation noone is ever gonna guess exactly what it means unless you just take it literally

I guess you don't know or might not remember, but I ask for help so I can translate the songs into Portuguese. The sentences I usually ask help with are sentences that sometimes do not make sense in my language.

:)

Free?
10-25-2008, 01:02 PM

Hah. Well, some people prefer not to dig lyrics and simply enjoy songs, some people are indeed the seekers that will probably dig in the wrong direction. It's a great thing that we're not all the same.

And yeah, what lexa said! sometimes, though it gives a headache when you can't get is it an irony or a statement :p

Rutegard
10-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Hah. Well, some people prefer not to dig lyrics and simply enjoy songs, some people are indeed the seekers that will probably dig in the wrong direction. It's a great thing that we're not all the same.

And yeah, what lexa said! sometimes, though it gives a headache when you can't get is it an irony or a statement :p

long live dexter holland's writing skills :D