PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic buzz

lost_nvrfound
10-29-2008, 09:26 AM
My acoustic has developed a really bad buzz. Anyone got any advice to remedy this? Aside from something major like refretting the whole thing (cheap guitar, not worth that)

medi01
10-29-2008, 10:20 AM
i've got something similar to this too...its really buggin me. the only thing i can think that would help is just to sand down the threats, which is not so easy if they're metal though

lost_nvrfound
10-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah. This has been a really recent thing. If you listen to my defy you cover its not so bad. But I was trying to redo TKAA today, and it was flat out awful. I can't play anything without it buzzing, even the stuff I've been playing for years that I could play blindfolded with one hand behind my back and earplugs. Its really IRRITATING!

T-6005
10-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Have you tried changing your strings and cleaning your fretboard?

randman21
10-29-2008, 01:37 PM
I had this problem some years ago, when every time I'd play a note on the 6th or 11th fret, it would buzz like mad. It took me months to just try raising the bridge. But you've probably already tried that.

medi01
10-29-2008, 01:58 PM
I had this problem some years ago, when every time I'd play a note on the 6th or 11th fret, it would buzz like mad. It took me months to just try raising the bridge. But you've probably already tried that.

Thank you thank you thank you. that helped me anyway:D

lost_nvrfound
10-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Have you tried changing your strings and cleaning your fretboard?

would that really cause the buzz? I hadn't considered it. I really do need new strings.

haha... well no... I just came here to ask for advice. I don't like to try anything without asking others opinions first because I'm paranoid I'll screw up my guitars.

randman21
10-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Hahaha. Well, so I'm not the only one. I had to try that, though, because I was desperate/fed up. It's easy to do, and if that's not the problem, it's easy to put back.

Ryder1234
10-29-2008, 03:30 PM
You probably need the truss rod adjusted. Just take it in to a shop, and ask what the problem is. If it is the truss rod (or even if it isn't), ask about the pricing to get it fixed. I had a pickup installed, and my guitar adjusted (truss rod, intonation, string height etc.), and it only came to 45 dollars.

lost_nvrfound
10-29-2008, 04:17 PM
the problem is that i have no money. well, i do have money, but I need to save that to get my car fixed and to pay for my dog's vet bills. :(

I'll ask my dad what to do and then to do it. He has so many guitars its not even funny. He should know.

T-6005
10-29-2008, 09:21 PM
would that really cause the buzz? I hadn't considered it. I really do need new strings.

I had the same problem once and I just cleaned my fretboard well with some lemon oil, let it sit for a day, and then changed the strings and it sounded fine.

At the very least it's an inexpensive solution and if you try it you'll know right away if it's the problem.

_Lost_
10-30-2008, 07:01 AM
hmm... well it HAS been a while since i oiled the fret board. I'll probably give that a shot. Fresh strings won't hurt anyway.

Ryder1234
10-30-2008, 04:55 PM
I've never oiled any of my guitar's fretboards :o

_Lost_
10-30-2008, 05:13 PM
I've never oiled any of my guitar's fretboards :o

tsk tsk *shakes a nagging finger*

Seriously kev... at least do a little maintenance.

Ryder1234
10-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Haha... well I think I'll invest in a bottle of lemon oil with whatever leftover money I have when I buy the wood for my guitar. I don't get the money until November, but my teacher is kind enough to let me use it now anyway.

_Lost_
10-30-2008, 08:28 PM
haha... and what an investment that will be you big spender you.

Ryder1234
10-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Haha, yeah for sure :D

T-6005
10-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Get a clean cloth too, it works best that way, especially if it's your first time.

Just rub it down strongly once and then coat it nice and softly with the oil and wipe the dirt off. It works wonders.

randman21
10-30-2008, 10:59 PM
How often should one do this? I've only had my new guitar for a few weeks, but my other one is about a year old.

_Lost_
10-31-2008, 06:48 AM
i think just when you change the strings would be sufficient. i actually (usually) change strings pretty often. I don't like them once they have broken in. I like the feel when they are fresh out of the package.

randman21
10-31-2008, 07:00 AM
Wow, I'm the opposite. I love 'em once they're broken in, although the "new" sound is kinda cool. My last set stayed on almost four months (pretty decent for 2 buck strings).

_Lost_
10-31-2008, 08:11 AM
yeah, when i'm playing a lot, i like to change them every two months or so, but the strings on both my guitars are ancient right now, because i didn't play much at all for almost 2 years. The ones on my electric aren't too bad because they haven't been played as much as the one on my acoustic. i may try to get some fresh strings this weekend, but i really can't afford to be dropping anymore money period. I already have to spend quite a bit this weekend just on gas to go home. but damn, i don't know how much longer i can stand those strings.

mrconeman
10-31-2008, 08:57 AM
Fretbuzz is 99% of the time a problem with the action, raise or lower the bridge to fix it.

_Lost_
11-03-2008, 07:29 PM
i'm not gonna lie. I haven't the slightest clue how to do that on an acoustic...:confused:

mrconeman
11-04-2008, 06:12 AM
I've never had to do it myself I'm afraid, the action on my acoustic was awesome out of the box. It's not half as easy as doing it on an electric, and I've only read about how. You can adjust the truss rod, which is basically a rod in the neck of your guitar keeping all the tension in place, you'll need a truss rod key, and it's very much a job for someone who knows what they're doing, you could snap or warp the neck. You can also file down the saddle on the guitar, but again, it's a job for someone who really knows what they're doing, filing isn't really a reversable process.

If it's too much cost and hassle, you could always just buy a better acoustic.

EDIT: found a cool article http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/Repairs2.htm

_Lost_
11-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Hmm. interesting tidbits of information. could be a lack of humidity. my dorm is very dry compared to where i used to keep it. I forget about the truss rod. I have a key for it and i've adjusted it before (i added lighter strings to it than what it came with). I'll give it a shot i suppose. and if i fuck it up, it won't be the end of the world.

its probably mostly affected by it being a cheap ass ibanez model. I'd invest in a better guitar, but i'm broke and already have a very nice electric.