PDA

View Full Version : BBS Mixtape II: Holidays Edition

Vera
11-01-2008, 03:26 AM
I'll just c/p the info from the original thread! Original idea credited to Bazza! :]

EDIT: DONE!!! Download link & track list: http://www.offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1225473&postcount=47 + rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/171376231/bbsmixtape2.rar.html

What is it?
A collection of mp3's performed by members of the forum. Basically a .zip/.rar file that people can download & listen to.

How many tracks?
Around 15.

What are the qualifications?

Um, must be member of the forum, preferrably posts in not just this forum. Does not have to be a band.. Instrumental is okay, too.

Let's just say that as long as it doesn't literally hurt my ears to listen to it, I'll okay it. Oh and as much as I love Pay The Man, 13-minute tracks rarely work so the track should be within considerable limits.

Doesn't have to be a new track, you could have recorded it in 2006 as long as it's by you/your band.

I would love if it was more original songs than covers but I guess covers are okay, too. Let's say you have an okay original song and a kickass cover; please submit the okay original song. The idea is to get your voice heard! :]

I can't play an instrument or sing but want to participate, can I?

Sure! I don't have Photoshop or PSP so it would be totally kickass if somebody with l33t photoshop skillz could make an album cover/track listing to the album!

Another idea is for somebody to record a spoken word intro ala Americana or Ixnay or Smash. Hey, if it worked for the Offspring, it can work for us! :D

How do I submit a track?

Upload an mp3 on yousendit.com/sendspace.com/megaupload.com or something similar, PM me with the link, track name & your band name/artist name - otherwise I'll just credit your username on the forums as the artist.

PM me here: http://www.offspring.com/forums/priv...do=newpm&u=115

Any deadlines?

Try to get them to me by Thursday December 4th ..unless you guys feel that's way too early. Again I remind you it doesn't have to be a newly made track.

When all tracks are submitted, I'll listen to them and form a preferred order of listening (which may or may not suck) and pack them in a .rar/.zip and upload. :]

Anything else?

- Don't send in Christmas songs, that's cheesy, unless you make them hardcore/rocking or so amazing beautiful I will have to include them.

- Largely depends on the number of submissions but for now: 2 songs per artist/band, and I'll probably pick one of those.. Or send just one song if you feel confident enough in it.

- This year we've had you guys covering RAFRAG songs etc.. If you want to collectively submit a few of those songs, a couple will definitely end up on the mixtape.

- Genre can be anything but I would ask you to submit an approachable track; an 8 minute noise track might be the best thing you've ever done but will the others get into it?

Any questions feel free to ask. :D

randman21
11-01-2008, 04:20 AM
It's on! I think we'll have even better turnout this time around.

ad8
11-01-2008, 04:56 AM
I think this time I might participate as my music has developed enough(I hope:D)

Ryder1234
11-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I've been working on an awesome song ever since the idea for a second edition came up, and it's pretty much done except that I can't come up with a riff for the chorus, and I've tried so many different things. I'll have it done by the deadline though, because I just need to make one riff.

_Lost_
11-01-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm definitely in. I sent you that one song vera and i would like to hear your feedback on it before i start to work more on it or others. even if i decide against that song, i would still like to know so that i can consider feedback in other songs.

T-6005
11-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Oh man, I kind of worried I wouldn't get into the mood to record something (that's how it works for me - I get struck by a desire to record something and 2 or 3 hours later I have a finished product) but then today I DID and I think it rocks and will make a worthy addition. I won't submit it to you yet, Sanni, as I think it could use an afterthought or two, but it'll definitely be on the mixtape.

Anyone reading this and thinking about doing something - submit a song before even thinking about it. Otherwise you'll regret not having participated. It's a cool feeling to listen to everybody else's songs and realizing they're all listening to yours too.

Plus, even if your songs aren't THAT good, it's a good way to get ideas and to see where other random musicians dotted around the world are taking their stuff. It just might inspire you a little bit.

coke_a_holic
11-02-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm going to do something for this.

It's gonna be different from the song I did before.

Like, a lot.

Homer
11-02-2008, 03:56 PM
My band's going to get together and record around 6 songs next week, so I'll definitely have something a lot better than last time.

Vera
11-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Lost, I don't plan on listening to the tracks until I compile them into a mixtape so just go with your own judgment and select another track and send it to me.

No submissions so far, I again remind you CAN send an old track - a lot of people might've not heard it. :]

mrconeman
11-05-2008, 01:41 AM
I've sent two tracks, but I won't give any long winded descriptions or anything untill I know if they are and which one(s) are being used.

randman21
11-05-2008, 05:26 AM
I haven't recorded my candidates yet. I would submit the one that you didn't pick last time, but I don't feel that it's worthy of the BBS Mixtape II.

Vera
11-06-2008, 02:58 AM
IMPORTANT NOTE on filesizes/types:

mp3 is preferred and I just dl'ed the file sent my _Lost_ and realized it's 10MB in size. Um, seeing as how the last mix tape was 45 mb in size in total, I don't really like having files that big in there taking up space and making it more of a hassle to download..

So if you could, keep it down to a reasonable file size.

_Lost_
11-06-2008, 06:56 AM
haha. sorry about that. I'll make sure to compress anything in the future.

Homer
11-06-2008, 02:56 PM
I believe we should settle on a minimum bit rate.

I say 224.

_Lost_
11-06-2008, 03:21 PM
maybe just a maximum file size. because a vocal track on my computer can take up an incredible amount of space at 224. especially since i have a friend loaning me better mics to make a final recording.

Homer
11-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Unless your songs are 15 minutes long, I don't see how a bit rate of 224 would take up much space.

We're talking mp3's, right?

_Lost_
11-06-2008, 06:20 PM
haha. i don't really know whats up now... I usually render in m4a, but i've got several re-renderings of the same song and one takes 9.9 mb and the other takes 3.9... this is weird...

T-6005
11-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Turns out I was way optimistic on that song and just high off getting something recorded.

I've changed practically half the song three times now, and I think it's ready to be submitted.

I'm anticipating this mixtape. It'll be glorious!

Llamas
11-06-2008, 09:28 PM
Oooh I'm so gonna do this, and I'm gonna submit something way better than last time. :)

Llamas
11-14-2008, 02:29 AM
Wow, so I got way inspired tonight and just made the best recording of my life. I spent the last 5 straight hours recording this song, and I'm pretty happy with it... it's a million times better than what I submitted last time... I just had to share my excitement, and in the process hope that it motivates other people to get on this!!! :D

Vera
11-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Thanks for all the submissions so far - the folder only has like 6 songs so keep 'em coming!

A small note, though: PLEASE make sure the mp3 has your name/your band's name on it. I just edited all the ones I have to make sure I don't forget what's whose but when I download them I may forget so .. yeah, just to make sure I'm compiling the thing and then going "wait whose song is this?".

Static_Martyr
11-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Okay, so when will we know if our stuff gets picked? 0_0

No hurries or anything, I'm just curious so I don't blow it at the last minute by barging in and asking all public-like, "Hey, did you pick X one that I did?!"

randman21
11-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Last time, I didn't know which one was picked until I downloaded it. 'Twas exciting.

Static_Martyr
11-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Ah. So it will be much later, then~

I'll wait, then :)

T-6005
11-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Are submissions for this moving forward?

Only a little more than a week until Vera's provisional deadline.

coke_a_holic
11-25-2008, 08:00 PM
I finished up three songs this week, I just finished mixing them.

Two of them are originals, I'll be submitting them soon.

Ryder1234
11-25-2008, 08:37 PM
I finished up and submitted my song this weekend.

T-6005
11-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Good. I finished my song but haven't submitted it yet, just in case last minute inspiration strikes.

Static_Martyr
11-25-2008, 09:54 PM
I've got another track I'll be uploading later this week; it's one my band did that we haven't used yet.

_Lost_
11-25-2008, 09:57 PM
I submitted my song. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Vera
11-26-2008, 12:35 AM
Can somebody involved in the covering RAFRAG project send me a finished song off that album, one that you feel is the best, one of the best or whatever? :]

& Keep submissions coming!

_Lost_
11-26-2008, 12:59 AM
i'm working on that. I'll start a poll for people to vote on which so far they like best. sound good?

Vera
11-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Sure thang.

ad8
11-26-2008, 07:34 AM
Since many people said that they have submitted a second song ...should I also submit a second song? Or is a single song more appreciated?
(I'd surely have another one, which would be BBS Mixtape exclusive... w00t:D)

offspringer24
11-26-2008, 11:28 AM
aint been on here for a while ive sent a song in, it's abit more upbeat than the previous one, hope it makes it on there and hope you all like it :)

Llamas
12-02-2008, 05:19 AM
What's the official deadline for this? Because I just wrote/recorded a new song tonight, and I'd like to get it finished before you actually make the tape... especially since what I sent in before was a cover. Let me know!

T-6005
12-02-2008, 10:47 AM
She mentioned Thursday.

ad8
12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
How long was the wait from deadline day to release day last time? I can't wait:)

Homer
12-03-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm fucked.

the only way I can get a song for this is if I'm allowed to send in a song at the end of next week.

T-6005
12-03-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm fucked.

the only way I can get a song for this is if I'm allowed to send in a song at the end of next week.

It doesn't have to be a new song, necessarily. If you have a good older song laying about that you don't think a lot of people have listened to, then submit it.

Homer
12-03-2008, 04:09 PM
That's the thing, though. Older stuff that I have are songs that people won't like.

Llamas
12-03-2008, 11:51 PM
I wish I knew for sure what the deadline is, because I'd like to resubmit a song that I've updated, but I don't wanna overwhelm Sanni if she's already started.

Also, I think the final project should be posted in GC, because maybe some people who don't create their own music would wanna hear it. :P

Vera
12-03-2008, 11:54 PM
I'll probably compile it on the weekend so keep 'em coming. :)

_Lost_
12-05-2008, 09:48 PM
I can't wait to hear it this time!!

Homer
12-05-2008, 11:43 PM
Well, I figured I wouldn't be able to get any recordings of my band in time, so I spent a half hour making some acoustic songs.

I'm sorry in advance.

Camilamazed
12-06-2008, 10:48 AM
I can't sing or play any instrument but if there is still an opening for the spoken part, I would love to be in.

=D

Vera
12-07-2008, 01:58 PM
AND IT'S DONE!!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3G8QZ23P

57.03 MB .rar-file, 12 tracks + 2 bonus tracks of video game themed covers.

http://i36.tinypic.com/a5jlt1.png

Enjoy & post your thoughts.

Who's who
The Fisticuffs - randman
Against Belief - Homer
KD - _Lost_
Thibault - T-6005
Kevin - Ryder
Mike - coke_a_holic

..and the rest should be obvious. :]

Ryder1234
12-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Oh yeah I'm on it :D
Any chance you could put this on rapidshare? megaupload seems to freeze my computer when I go on the site.

randman21
12-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Whoa! I wasn't expecting this right now. Guess I'll have to delay my nap :P

Thanks again, Vera, and I will post some thoughts later on.

Vera
12-07-2008, 02:34 PM
I'll upload it to other places tomorrow, gotta go to bed now.

T-6005
12-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Got it. Going to listen to it straight through.

randman21
12-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Got it. Going to listen to it straight through.
Same here...even though I badly want to skip through anything I contributed to.

Oh yeah I'm on it :D
Any chance you could put this on rapidshare? megaupload seems to freeze my computer when I go on the site.
http://rapidshare.com/files/171269120/bbsmixtape2.rar.html

_Lost_
12-07-2008, 03:03 PM
eep! I am so incredibly excited to listen to this! ahh!

Free?
12-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Great! downloading it now. ..even though I'm gonna skip the first track to avoid a spoiler >____>.

Rooster
12-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Damn, i'm on it too (guitars for Trust In You)! Great, now i ar gonna to be famous :D

downloading it now...

Ryder1234
12-07-2008, 03:59 PM
http://rapidshare.com/files/171269120/bbsmixtape2.rar.html

Thanks.

I really didn't expect it to be out so fast! Wasn't it like, 6 months last time?

randman21
12-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Hehe, no. It was like a month and some change from the first announcement to the time it was uploaded last time.

And no probski.

Ryder1234
12-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Haha wow :D I must've been thinking of the time between one and two or something.

Camilamazed
12-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Listening to it...

=D

Homer
12-07-2008, 04:35 PM
I am honored to have received the last song spot once again.

EDIT:

What the hell am I talking about? I didn't get the last spot last time.

_Lost_
12-07-2008, 04:37 PM
mmk... so I guess I'll give my thoughts on everything.

Trust In You - i sang this, so my natural reaction is to shudder and skip to the next song. But I'm rather proud at what we accomplished.

Green eyes - I really love the intro to this song Mike. Its nice and so smooth. And it just kind of builds up. I really like it.

Fifty-first In Line - Randy, I just love this song so much. You already know I'm your biggest groupie. :p I'm also glad my creativity inspired you to record this. I hope you can get past your dry spell and bring me some more good tunes.

The Underdog - This songs makes me think of the 90s. Its very upbeat. It also kind of makes me think of 90s Green Day more specifically, I guess. I love how its so upbeat, but then its like "everybody's trying to be something their not". It seems soo green day to me, but then again not like green day. Good job Tim!

Secrets Acoustic - Homer, I LOVE the guitar on this! I don't think you should be sorry. Its great! I wish I could come up with riffs like that. haha... I probably couldn't even play that... I'm a little sad that it is so short. It makes me want more.

Egyptian Robot Battle - I love the lead in on this. And all of the guitar parts go together really well. its pretty epic.

The UK's Burning - You guys are getting really good. I like the feel of this one. This is my favorite of the ones on your myspace.

Mature - I can really see myself at a show just totally rockin out to this one. This would be a great thrash and bash live tune. I would really love to see this one live.

I See - bleh...

Save The Day - Kevin, you worked so hard to get this song together. I'm glad you were able to get it done. I really like the tone of the riff you decided to use for the chorus.

The Surge - llamas, this song just blows me away! Its just awesome! I feel ashamed to have my song on here with yours. I wanna make a video for this song, I like it that much!

Repose - This is just so smooth! Like your song on the first tape. Its just soooooo pretty. Its such a nice way to end the album. I could listen to your guitar pieces all day. I really could. They just feel so nice to listen to.

... I guess this wasn't so much of a review as it was a total love fest... I love it! It came out amazing you guys!

EDIT: I didn't really know how to go about commenting on the video game music, except that is sounds really cool.

Tijs
12-07-2008, 04:41 PM
How come I've only just discovered this thread? I like this thread.

Now let's hear how good you people really are. *downloads*

T-6005
12-07-2008, 05:25 PM
Thibault's BBS Mixtape Review

The Forums - Trust in You
Before you read this one, let me just say that I think you did a good job. I just like to list problems I have with songs first.
The bass is kind of too loud compared to the rest (specifically the guitar) and sounds like it occasionally stumbles around. The guitar's pretty damn good, but relegated a little too far to the background, especially compared to the aforementioned bass. The lead voice is pretty good, but the added "Shadow to light" bits (or whatever he actually says) kind of sound like they cut into the rest a lot. Now that that's done - the song actually sounds pretty great. The guitar is solid, and aside from a few snafus, so is the bass. The drums are solid. The best part, however, are the vocal harmonies in the chorus. They sound awesome and are totally supported by all of the other instruments. On that, total congratulations.

Sounds like - a decent cover of Trust in You

Mike - Green Eyes
This is one of those songs with what I call a "wretched indie" voice. I generally can't stand it but this song is actually a bit of an exception. From the moment the song starts you feel like it's going somewhere, and the way Mike gets it to actually go there is pretty satisfying, to be honest. You never feel like you're relistening to a carbon copy of an earlier part of the song. The use of synth sounds pretty awesome and the sound is pretty tightly meshed, everything's in time and it doesn't feel like there's anything tacked on. You can really feel the way every instrument contributes to the song. the only problem I had was that on occasion the acoustic distracted me with some loud strumming. But overall it's fun to listen to, intermeshing some good listening parts with a chorus that's just bouncy enough, just rocky enough.

Sounds like - Tragedy Bound by the Bravery meets a Bright Eyes song meets a little instrumental flourish.

The Fisticuffs - Fifty-first in Line
I like the background effect you've got going with the voice, but otherwise this song doesn't really speak to me. Maybe some harmony would make it more interesting - or more likely it's just me.

Sounds like - Useless ID.

Static Martyr - The Underdog
Kind of a fun melody, with that whole DIY sound. Voice isn't anything terribly impressive but it does the job. That kind of holds for the entire song. Everything's in time, but things are a little trebly, quality's just a little low - but it still manages to hold together.

Against Belief - Secrets Acoustic
I'm always jealous of how together everything sounds on Homer's songs, and how it sounds like he always knows exactly where the song is going to go, and this is no exception. The guitar riff keeps my attention, blends well, and fades out perfectly, and the harmony voices do the same. If it was longer the guitar riff might be a tad repetitive but he keeps it short and fresh. So it's pretty much awesome.

Thibault Kervarech - Egyptian Robot Battle
This started off as it's own little riff at the beginning, but then I wrote the end and decided to change it into my own tribute to overlapped palm mutes. The end's really the part I'm proud of in this song.

DTOX Rockers - UK's Burning
I kind of feel like I can't quite hear what's going on in this ex-BBS joke band's latest effort. The guitar's pretty rolling most of the time.

Sounds like - The Vandals if they tried to not be funny.

The Ricetigers - Mature
I love the guitar riff at the beginning - frenetic power chords and fun. At first I thought the voice was horrible, but then I focused on it and figured out it was actually doing something. Some moments the voices clash with each other and I can't figure out what's going on - makes it sound cluttery, but still. That riff made me smile.

Sounds like - the latter half of the London Calling album meets the Ramones on speed.

KD Shelton - I See
I don't know why your parents named you after Kraft Dinner, but I see you took it to heart when you went and developed this at-first depressing-sounding little ditty. /notfunny
Only joking. Sound a little like Amy Lee, holding notes and shifting to a lower harmony note in the verse. I like it - it's catchy. Guitar occasionally sounds a little uncertain, which is actually the most untechnical term for guitar playing I could think of. I like that it's a little more cheery sounding after a while - very top 40 rock, but in a good way. The kind of song you like to guiltily bob your head to when you're not drinking beers and... I don't know. Bowling or something. Cause I'm a man. Maybe a little more guitar would have filled out the verse, but I think that's just the silence-hater in me. I can't stand to have moments of silence in my songs. The vocal harmonies are very nice and I like the voice quite a bit.

Sounds like - Top 40 pop-rock but not sucky.

Kevin Jewett - Save The Day
Oh. My. God. The song started out so awesome, but you can't carry a tune in a bucket. You're sometimes in tune, sometimes not, and there seems to be no pattern to it. I love how your phaser/tremolo'ed guitar meshes with the drums - that's a pretty awesome touch, to be honest. Sounds great, but the voice is just kind of off-putting. Of course, that's not to say you should be discouraged. Try practicing, and remember that even if you're never able to carry a tune it won't stop you from making cool songs. I very much like the background vibe you've got going, minus a few negligible timing errors.

Sounds like - Almost a rap-rock vibe. Name me a band with that.

ilovellamas - Surge
I like what you've got going with the instrumentation, for the most part, but near the beginning there's a little part that just repeats and kind of aggravates me. It's a personal thing, because I really like what you've got going with the vibe - I just feel that the little bit ruins it. Still, it's a pretty great buildup. The keyboard (riff? motif? repetitive bit?) didn't appeal to me at first, but by the time I hit the 2 minute mark, after which you transitioned out of it into the second, chorusy little bit, I was glad you'd put it in there, it meshes pretty damn well with everything and kind of gives a certain lift to the song.
The third part (in my head) is almost pensive. I like it, feels like everything's going backwards from the first half. You keep adding and adding, then snap to a little piano/acoustic driven part and then transit to a more pensive, harmony driven end. Very nice.
I apologize for having arbitrarily divided your song into three parts. Hopefully you know what I mean.

Sounds like - No fucking clue.

mrconeman - Repose
What can I say? Fits the name. Very tranquil.

Sounds like - a calm brook.

Thibault Kervarech - Ken's Theme (Street Fighter 2)
This one just happened in the span of 3 or 4 hours. I hope you like it.

Against Belief - Cosmo Canyon
Somehow this song still doesn't register with me even though I played the game. But it's certainly a pretty awesome rendition of it.

Static_Martyr
12-07-2008, 06:12 PM
*is nervous because T's reviews don't mention his song at all*

P.S.

Totally psyched about being compared to 90's Green Day~ Seriously. I feel like Hasbro's BEST THING EVER!

Ryder1234
12-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Kevin Jewett - Save The Day
Oh. My. God. The song started out so awesome, but you can't carry a tune in a bucket. You're sometimes in tune, sometimes not, and there seems to be no pattern to it. I love how your phaser/tremolo'ed guitar meshes with the drums - that's a pretty awesome touch, to be honest. Sounds great, but the voice is just kind of off-putting. Of course, that's not to say you should be discouraged. Try practicing, and remember that even if you're never able to carry a tune it won't stop you from making cool songs. I very much like the background vibe you've got going, minus a few negligible timing errors.

Sounds like - Almost a rap-rock vibe. Name me a band with that.

Yeah, I didn't have a very good method for recording. I couldn't hear my guitar but if i turned it up any more it got distorted. i would record it again since now i can record guitar and hear it, but i dont have the drums i rented anymore. and the drum track seems to have dissapeared

I hate my voice, i just hoped it was one of those things where you dont like your own voice. so i kept myself an instrumental version that i can upload if the voice is an issue to alot of people.

i plan to record it in the future again, once my voice matures a bit more.

randman21
12-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Note: I believe I am the world's worst harmony writer. I just can't do it. Heh, the scarce ones that are there were invented on the day I recorded it. Apparently I can sing 'em, though. Glad you enjoyed that in Trust in You.

_Lost_
12-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Totally psyched about being compared to 90's Green Day~ Seriously. I feel like Hasbro's BEST THING EVER!

hahaha! Thats what came to mind. they definitely had that whole i'm-a-loser-but-i'm-gonna-sing-about-it-in-a-happy-go-lucky-manner thing going on. I'm glad you took it as a compliment. i intended it that way.

and thibault, i feel like a new artist who just got their first good review in the paper. I'm happy all over. :D

Llamas
12-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Shit! I never got the fixed version in... there was a lot of stuff in the second half I fixed in the vocals. Oh well. I will have a listen/read reviews soon!!! *excited*

*edit* holy shit, I just read the two responses to my song. Thanks!!! I definitely wasn't expecting that, especially because my stuff tends to get crap for reviews, haha. A lot of "well it's better than your other stuff!" I will definitely put up a review here after I listen to the whole thing!

Oh, and T... do you know which instrument the part you don't like is in? The instrumentation of the "first part" is piano, strings, horns, guitar, flute, and recorder. And alto sax, but that's at the end of the first part... and it doesn't repeat.

coke_a_holic
12-07-2008, 10:27 PM
I listened to this much earlier, and I'll review it as I listen to it as I write my 10 page paper due tomorrow. This will only go well.

Trust In You
I never actually heard the original because I didn't get RAFRAG (or find out about the cd until after it came out), but I did really like the harmonies a lot. I don't know if The Offspring had the same sort of thing, but I'm assuming they did. Either way, it sounds like something they would do, and I think it's a pretty sweet song.

Fifty-First In Line
I really like how the vocals sound on this song. Overall, it's just a pretty standard rock/punk song to me, but I really like the way it sounds. I dunno anyway to say it other than that, you guys know what you're capable of, and you've pretty much gone exactly for that. To an extent, I agree with T on the harmonies. I like the idea of having the harmonies there, but they're a little strangely arranged.

The Underdog
When the song began, I was a little confused. It sounded something I wasn't really into, but then when the full band kicked in, it was so triumphant in its sound that I couldn't help but kind of bob my head to it. It does last for a bit longer than it should, and I would say that it could be fixed up a bit by adding a transition into, like, double time when you start the yelling.

Secrets
This song sounds really cool acoustic and slowed down like that. I'm much more used to the quadruple-time drums and trebely guitars, so the acoustic version is pretty fucking cool for me to hear. I like the harmonies and I like pretty much everything you guys do. WORLD TOUR 09!!!

Green Eyes
Kind of what happens when you try to write a love song but make it about how much you hate yourself instead. Song was originally just acoustic, but I decided that I wanted some other stuff and it turned into this. I like how in this song I actually try to sing, whereas the other one I turned in for Mixtape 1 was just yelling because I had reserved myself to always being off-tune. Still off-tune, but whatever, at least I'm aware of it.

Egyptian Robot Battle
The title is so terribly accurate that I don't even think it needs a review. It's Egyptian robots battling from the right and left, and in the middle is the sound of their lasers being shot in Phrygian modes. Righteous.

The UK'S Burning
Sounds like The Offspring. Doesn't really do it for me, but it's what you're into, so go for it.

Mature
Not what I was expecting in the least. Like, at all. Your voice is so weirdly deep and ambient, the guitars are noisy, the drums are seemingly time signatureless. This is, like, post-post-punk. What the shit, it's beautiful in its own right. The voices don't match up, the guitar and drums are separate entities, it's like a microcosm of growing up into maturity and the awkward feelings that are associated with it. That's how I choose to interpret it, regardless of how right it is.

I See
I like your voice(s), and the arrangement of them a lot. The guitar/drums together are a little off. The guitar sometimes sounds like it was recorded in a shed and I sometimes get the feeling that the drums were included as an afterthought, because they're so out of time with everything else. It's a really pretty song, though, just the recording quality sounds so weird between the three instruments.

Save The Day
I don't even know what I think of this. Your voice sounds kinda funny, but it's not like it's on purpose, and it's not like I should be talking, because my voice is very funny. I think you should try singing a bit lower. The music is almost Nirvana-esque, but mixed with... I don't even know. Don't stop making music, if you're sounding like this at this age, you'll do great as you get older.

The Surge
I really like the beginning a lot. The music is very epic and has this very strong emotional power to it as all of the instruments converge and add onto each other. After it, when the piano returns, it's a neat little focal point. I like it. The vocal harmonies are kind of weird to me, like, the change between an almost-falsetto high and the alto, and the fact that they're at the same volume. Then the "Take Out The Trash" part sounds pretty neat, but so weird with what was happening before it, but then after that, it transitions fine. I find myself wishing that the full instrumentation of the beginning would come back, though, so that it could act as more than an introduction and really feel like a part of the song. Plus that would be such an epic way to end.

Repose
Pretty, almost organ-like guitar. A beautiful way to end the mix before the video game themes.

I won't comment on the video game themes because I'm not punx enough to know the originals. Just know that I think they sound fucking cool and T's gets me so pumped for the fight and that Against Belief's actually is so vivid that I can see the cosmic canyon in question without even knowing what game it's from.

Awesome work, dudes/dudettes.

Llamas
12-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Sanni, why are coneman and I the only people whose real names you didn't use? I feel like less of a person. :(

Okay, time for my review. I'm a big fan of assigning ratings to each song, hope that's okay.

1. Trust in You - The Forums 7.5/10

I'm a fan of the choice of vocals for the song. The biggest problems this song has are in timing, bass, and guitar. I'd have to listen to it a few more times to figure out what's causing the timing issues, but it's unsettling. I think they might be in the drums. The bass is way too loud, and I don't like the tone of guitars in contrast to the tone of the vocals. I'd be interested in which members of the bbs did which parts.

2. Fifty-First in Line - The Fisticuffs 9/10

This is Randman? Which instrument did you contribute, or is it all you? I like the intro quite a bit, as well as the very end. Nice eerie sound. The guitar riff is also very cool, and I like the singer's voice. However, besides the riff and vocalist, the rest of the song is fairly generic sounding. I could see myself listening to this song, though! It reminds me of some pop punk band... I think it reminds me of earlier No Use for a Name, which is a band I really like. So that's a good thing. The guitarwork and the singing style/harmonies are very reminiscent of them. Good work!

3. The Underdog - Static Martyr 6.5/10

Who is this? Is there a user named Static Martyr? I like the chorus, but overall, I found it a little bit drab. It sounds like some of the problems might come from poor recording equipment (which I can relate to). Was this all written/performed/recorded by one person? If so, more credit is due. Not bad overall.

4. Secrets Acoustic - Against Belief 9.5/10

This is good. I mean, I really like it. This is just you? Nice, sweet and to the point. Nice singing, nice guitar part. I don't remember liking the Against Belief stuff from the last bbs mix tape much, so this is a pleasant surprise. Your singing and harmonies remind me a LOT of a small band from Iowa called Rearview Mirror, who I like a ton. Only reason this doesn't get a 10 is cause it's so short.

5. Green Eyes - Mike 6/10

I always make it a point to be completely honest in these reviews, despite the people who did the songs... and I just can't stand your voice. It kinda ruins the whole song for me. However, the song itself is GOOD. I wish you'd have someone else sing or use a different instrument besides voice for the melody, cause I could dig this. Without the voice, it'd get an 8/10. I'm not sure I like the synthesized sound of the background against the guitars, but this is definitely an interesting song. edit- I didn't really say what I like about the song. I really like the intro guitar, and I like how the song transitions from the quieter calm parts to the loud heavier parts. I also like the melodies you write, if not how they're executed. I like the "one by one" part and how it leads into the next section.

6. Egyptian Robot Battle - the T man 8.5/10

As expected, I like this. You're the bbs king of instrumentals, that's for sure. I found myself bobbing my head along, haha. Digging the harmonies and the minor key that doesn't sound darker than it needs to be. I can see why you like the ending, because the layered guitar is pretty nice. The only real downfall to this song is that it is a LOT of 16th notes, without much else in the way of rhythm or syncopation. This causes it to become a bit repetitive. Oh yeah, the title is wonderful.

7. The UK's Burning - D-tox Rockers 4/10

I agree with Thibault that it sounds kinda like the Vandals if they didn't try to be funny... kind of. It's less original than the Vandals, though. There's not anything here that I really like, except the windy sounding guitar in the back is kinda neat, especially during the bridge. Eventually it gets old, though. Er, and I hate the title. It's so typical of trying to be super punx. It's also too long of a song for what it is... I gave you a 4 because it's a good effort. You guys don't suck at your instruments, but the song itself is kind of meh. Well, I actually liked the part at the end where it broke down to the vocals "whoa". That was kinda neat, but too minor a part of the song.

8. Mature - Ricetigers 7.5/10

Another one that I don't recognize the user. The voice reminds me of Type O Negative. I think this song would fare better with some good recording. I like the riff/guitar parts, don't care for the drums (are these programmed drums?), and the voice is cool but not well recorded. I like the solo, as well. It's a nice break there, but fits well. I also think it's a little too long.

9. I See - KD Shelton 8/10

I dig your voice a lot. Did you sing on the Offspring track? You've got a nice vibrato. I like some of your harmonies. I'm not sure, but it sounds like your guitar might be out of tune. Anyway, your voice is easily the highlight here. The song is well written and interesting, plus a great voice. The guitar isn't too good, but overall the song fares well. I'd love to hear your voice with some more certain instrumentation. We should collaborate sometime. :P

10. Save the Day - Kevin Jewitt 7/10

Hmm. The song starts off really cool sounding, but I honestly am not a fan of the vocal part. I don't like the effect, and I feel the same about your singing voice as Mike's. The song itself is neat, though... definitely interesting. Unlike Mike's, I don't think your song would work well as an instrumental; you definitely need a vocal part, so maybe cut the effect and try just singing straight, and turn the vocals down a bit so there's less emphasis on it. I think that the guitar solo had a good tone to contrast the rest of the song, but I don't think you chose the right notes... it doesn't really fit in my personal opinion. If it wasn't for the vocals, I'd really dig this song, though.

11. The Surge - Me

Well, I'm not gonna review my song, but I'll give you guys a little description/background on it. I wrote this song WAY different from anything else I've ever written. It started out as the piano riff that opens the song running through my head, and I just recorded those two measures over and over for a couple minutes, and started adding stuff as it felt natural. It was not going to have any vocals at all, I just did what I felt, as the entire song is about feeling trapped in a way of life that is not how I want it. The repetition in the first section symbolizes going through those same motions over and over. The flute is a bit off the beat to symbolize things kind of falling apart, and there's no actual melody, which is the same as a focus (in life). When I finished that first part, though, I knew it had to go somewhere, and I got stuck. Credit goes to Mr. Coneman for helping me decide how to end that section (the slow dramatic piano chords were his idea). The saxophone solo, and the second and third sections were completely improvised- I made them up on the spot as I recorded them. The lyrics were improvised, as well. This is why I rerecorded the vocals, but then failed to submit the new version. I have a lot more I could say about this song, but I don't wanna sound annoying and I've written a lot.

12. Repose - Cairan 8.5/10

I've always dug your guitar playing. Is this the original, I assume? I liked Breezygoing more, but this one has a very cool tone to it. I think it definitely sounds like it should go somewhere, into something else. Very relaxing song.

Ryder1234
12-07-2008, 10:43 PM
After the reviews of my song (thanks for them guys), I'm thinking I might redo the vocals tomorrow, and try singing it lower than I did here, cause i defiantly am weaker when it comes to high notes. unfortunatly i cant re attempt the solo as llamas suggested because I dont have the original drum track, so it'll have to do until i get another chance to get some drums.

T-6005
12-07-2008, 10:44 PM
*is nervous because T's reviews don't mention his song at all*

P.S.

Fix'd

Yeah, I didn't have a very good method for recording. I couldn't hear my guitar but if i turned it up any more it got distorted. i would record it again since now i can record guitar and hear it, but i dont have the drums i rented anymore. and the drum track seems to have dissapeared

I hate my voice, i just hoped it was one of those things where you dont like your own voice. so i kept myself an instrumental version that i can upload if the voice is an issue to alot of people.

i plan to record it in the future again, once my voice matures a bit more.
Your voice is fine, you're just horribly out of tune.

coke_a_holic
12-07-2008, 10:47 PM
After the reviews of my song (thanks for them guys), I'm thinking I might redo the vocals tomorrow, and try singing it lower than I did here, cause i defiantly am weaker when it comes to high notes. unfortunatly i cant re attempt the solo as llamas suggested because I dont have the original drum track, so it'll have to do until i get another chance to get some drums.

Don't redo anything!

Dude, just write new songs with these thoughts in mind. Your song is done, just because people are saying things about it, don't get self-conscious about it.

I was just told that if I were to not sing on my song, it would be, numerically, 1/5 a better song than it is (art can be scored)! It doesn't really bother me because I like singing, regardless of what my voice sounds or how out of tune I am. Don't change shit because other people say so, just take in how you are received and consider peoples' thoughts after your own.

The main point is to have fun, not to impress people.

Ryder1234
12-07-2008, 10:53 PM
yeah ok :).

i find it's hard to make songs without drums to come up with a beat with. i had the riff for the verse for probably 2 years, but only got to put it to use after fooling around on the drums i rented (resulting in the drums for the song), then finding out that it matched the guitar riff.

whats a good free drum program? i need one.

Llamas
12-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Don't redo anything!

Dude, just write new songs with these thoughts in mind. Your song is done, just because people are saying things about it, don't get self-conscious about it.

I was just told that if I were to not sing on my song, it would be, numerically, 1/5 a better song than it is (art can be scored)! It doesn't really bother me because I like singing, regardless of what my voice sounds or how out of tune I am. Don't change shit because other people say so, just take in how you are received and consider peoples' thoughts after your own.

The main point is to have fun, not to impress people.

I totally agree with this post. When I score people's songs, and give suggestions, I so don't expect people to change their songs. Create the music you like creating, and if you get a suggestion that you think genuinely sounds like something you want to do, work it in next time... but definitely don't change just to suit people's opinions if it doesn't make the song how YOU want it to sound. That's what we call "selling out" ;D

coke_a_holic
12-07-2008, 10:58 PM
To be honest, I just take Apple Loops, cut them up, and re-paste them together as entirely new drum beats.

It's not worth it at all.

But yeah, kid, you're 14 years old and already writing and arranging your own songs. When I was 14, I was in a band on paper (as in, we said we were a band, but none of us could play any instruments). I could barely play guitar, I didn't know how to read music and I was, to be perfectly honest, even more unable to sing than I am now. You're doing pretty fucking well at your age.

Ryder1234
12-07-2008, 11:14 PM
thanks guys :). im self taught at everything, ive never had a music lesson before, so these complements seem pretty awesome.

my friend said his uncle has a studio, so if i get the chance, i might go record some other songs i made in a school course last year.

T-6005
12-07-2008, 11:24 PM
thanks guys :). im self taught at everything, ive never had a music lesson before, so these complements seem pretty awesome.

my friend said his uncle has a studio, so if i get the chance, i might go record some other songs i made in a school course last year.

I was the same way, and though to be honest none of what I do to this day is fantastic, the only way you learn is through randomly finding out what you like through random experimentation. Even being taught only speeds up the process. The tone of your voice is fine. You're just out of tune. Here's this amazing trick an old music teacher taught me that do this day I've never forgotten - if you're going up in your pitch, in your mind, visualize going down. It's this totally strange way of keeping yourself from overcompensating and sounding jarringly sharp.

To end up, your ideas are the type that people enjoy - that is, experimenting with soundscapes - and it's a good idea to keep doing that.

Llamas
12-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Okay, so I listened to Trust In You again, and listened to it matched up to the Offspring's version, and the inconsistency is definitely in the drums. The drums miss a beat approximately three times in the song (I think he slows down a bit, gets behind the track, and then skips a beat in order to catch up again. This causes the song to speed up and lose tempo, as well). Honestly, I think a quieter bassline, cleaner guitars, and a steadier drum part could make this cover really good.

And after listening to "Underdog" again, I so like the chorus. A lot. The verses are kinda drab, but the chorus is catchy in a good way, and well sung. The solo is a good fit, as well.

Ryder, good luck, man. Record some stuff in a studio- why not? You've got it at your disposal, so why pass that up? Don't take the criticism too personally, either. Do your thang.

Superdope
12-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Wow, Christmas came early this year!
I just finished downloading. Will give it a listen immediately!

And guys, please don't let this be the last of its kind. These mixtapes always blow me away.

Llamas
12-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Geez, I keep posting in here... I just wanted to say that this is my third listen through the album already, and it seems that I like each song more each time I listen to it. (I should've waited to rate them.) This mixtape is much better than the last one!!! The returning contributors made great, if not better, contributions compared to last time... and the new artists are terrific. I was sad not to hear anything from Switchblade Masquerade, which I think was the only artist who didn't return besides one of the punk bands. I truly hope we keep making these... there is a lot of talent on this bbs. The best part of this one is how eclectic it is; the last one had a lot of pop punk and straight forward rock/pop. Most of the songs on this one are such steps outside the box.

I sincerely think this should be posted in GC, so that people who didn't contribute to it can hear how talented some of the people they interact with are.

Also, much appreciation is due to Sanni for putting this together for everyone.

Superdope
12-08-2008, 12:50 AM
I was sad not to hear anything from Switchblade Masquerade, which I think was the only artist who didn't return besides one of the punk bands.

:(

*sniff, sniff*

Llamas
12-08-2008, 12:53 AM
:(

*sniff, sniff*

Uh oh, was there something else that was missing that was yours? Now I feels bad. :( What was yours called? Maybe I'm not remembering everything.

Superdope
12-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Uh oh, was there something else that was missing that was yours? Now I feels bad. :( What was yours called? Maybe I'm not remembering everything.

Despite the pain and agony I am feeling right now, I will be able to forgive you.. in due time.

I did Auto Pilot :p

EDIT: Now it's time for someone talented to do the artwork!

Llamas
12-08-2008, 01:04 AM
Despite the pain and agony I am feeling right now, I will be able to forgive you.. in due time.

I did Auto Pilot :p

Oohhhh shoot! When I was skimming through the song list, I thought that was Thibault's song... forgetting that I'd already identified his song. Why didn't you contribute this time??

PS I just listened to the song to remind myself which it was, and I remember wanting to hear you do something where you sing out/with more confidence. Cause it's a good song.

Edit: I just averaged the scores I gave of both albums, and mixtape 1 averaged to 6.6, while this one averaged to 7.45. ;D

Superdope
12-08-2008, 01:14 AM
Oohhhh shoot! When I was skimming through the song list, I thought that was Thibault's song... forgetting that I'd already identified his song. Why didn't you contribute this time??

PS I just listened to the song to remind myself which it was, and I remember wanting to hear you do something where you sing out/with more confidence. Cause it's a good song.

Well I really, really wanted to do something, but time has been working against me, papers and whatnot. Besides, I didn't expect it to be out this soon :P. Next time I'm onboard again for sure.

I've been working on my singing, and have found a way to have my crappy mic in my laptop live up to its full potential.

Oh yeah, I just finished listening to Vol. II and it fucking rocks.

Vera
12-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Here's another rapidshare link: http://rapidshare.com/files/171376231/bbsmixtape2.rar.html

Here's a link to the first one for anybody who missed it: http://www.offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1141238&postcount=54

I really like the quality of the songs in general on this 2nd one, though I wish there was more variety in genres. Still, nothing wrong with punkrock ranging from fast to more ballad-y stuff. It's the type of thing where the influence to Offspring shows in a good way. :]

I'd ramble about why I picked each song but basically I just picked the ones I liked best and arranged them somewhat according to their style - starting out with the faster punkrocky songs, going out with the mellow ones, finishing off with conie's super-sweet outro-type thing and then two "hidden" tracks of videogame awesomeness.

llamas - I didn't put down conie's real name because I didn't know it, and it wasn't attached to the track. The label was "Teh Me" which I thought was funny but also confusing so I just labelled it his screen name. Then your first track was labeled ilovellamas so when I was making sure everybody's tracks matched up, I ended up naming the second one under that name as well.

Oh and sheepy probably didn't post anything by The Switchblade Masquerade because I believe they've signed a contract ... or at least their songs are available on iTunes so free dl's aren't available. But if you liked their song on the first mix tape, check them out on myspace.

Rooster
12-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Thibault's BBS Mixtape Review

The Forums - Trust in You
Before you read this one, let me just say that I think you did a good job. I just like to list problems I have with songs first.
The bass is kind of too loud compared to the rest (specifically the guitar) and sounds like it occasionally stumbles around. The guitar's pretty damn good, but relegated a little too far to the background, especially compared to the aforementioned bass. The lead voice is pretty good, but the added "Shadow to light" bits (or whatever he actually says) kind of sound like they cut into the rest a lot. Now that that's done - the song actually sounds pretty great. The guitar is solid, and aside from a few snafus, so is the bass. The drums are solid. The best part, however, are the vocal harmonies in the chorus. They sound awesome and are totally supported by all of the other instruments. On that, total congratulations.

Thanks for liking my guitar part :)

I think that guitars could sound a bit better though, maybe a bit louder, but also less "dirty" sounding. I haven't cleaned them up much before sending them to _lost_, maybe if i would they would sound better. But i didn't have enough experiences with Cool Edit (the program i recorded them with), and didn't exactly know how to make them sound better. Now i know what i should have done, but it's too late...

But overall a very good job on the mixtape everyone, i like it very much!!!

edit: i think guitars should sound something like on this song (this is my own song, but it yet has to be finished), and i could make them sound so. But now it's too late...

http://rapidshare.com/files/167682486/self_destruction_instrumental_demo_-_version1.mp3.html

Llamas
12-08-2008, 02:59 AM
I'd ramble about why I picked each song but basically I just picked the ones I liked best and arranged them somewhat according to their style - starting out with the faster punkrocky songs, going out with the mellow ones, finishing off with conie's super-sweet outro-type thing and then two "hidden" tracks of videogame awesomeness.
I'm lame enough to be interested in hearing your ramblings about each song, haha, if you can be bothered. :P

llamas - I didn't put down conie's real name because I didn't know it, and it wasn't attached to the track. The label was "Teh Me" which I thought was funny but also confusing so I just labelled it his screen name. Then your first track was labeled ilovellamas so when I was making sure everybody's tracks matched up, I ended up naming the second one under that name as well.
Whatever. Bitch! ;)

Oh and sheepy probably didn't post anything by The Switchblade Masquerade because I believe they've signed a contract ... or at least their songs are available on iTunes so free dl's aren't available. But if you liked their song on the first mix tape, check them out on myspace.
Wow! I have no idea who Sheepy is, but that's awesome! I wish them many congratulations, and I'm not surprised they got signed!

offspringer24
12-08-2008, 03:59 AM
thank you people for your reviews :) its sounds like its gonna be awesome... when i can actually listen to it.... cant have speakers on at moment.

will review it all later :)

ad8
12-08-2008, 05:29 AM
All right! Big thanks to Vera for organising this! And thanks for making my song no.8 on the tracklist:D I'll download it later, because I have to go now but I'm looking forward to this evening:)

_Lost_
12-08-2008, 05:50 AM
Trust In You credits

Drums - drummerbecca
guitar - raptor88
bass - static_martyr
backing vocals - randman21
vocals - _Lost_

9. I See - KD Shelton 8/10

I dig your voice a lot. Did you sing on the Offspring track? You've got a nice vibrato. I like some of your harmonies. I'm not sure, but it sounds like your guitar might be out of tune. Anyway, your voice is easily the highlight here. The song is well written and interesting, plus a great voice. The guitar isn't too good, but overall the song fares well. I'd love to hear your voice with some more certain instrumentation. We should collaborate sometime. :P

I See
I like your voice(s), and the arrangement of them a lot. The guitar/drums together are a little off. The guitar sometimes sounds like it was recorded in a shed and I sometimes get the feeling that the drums were included as an afterthought, because they're so out of time with everything else. It's a really pretty song, though, just the recording quality sounds so weird between the three instruments.

the guitar shouldn't have been out of tune. i'm an anal retentive tuner. I know i'm no guitar player though. Its best that i play with lots of distortion... lots and lots of distortion :p. I don't have a good way to record and i bought a better mic, but the mic input on my laptop records on only the left side. i need to get a usb adaptor. the drums realy were kind of an after thought. i wasn't really certain on them, but i need to add something else to the sound.

thanks for the compliments. :)

randman21
12-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Damn, y’all brought the goods this time! Here’s my review, though I have trouble expressing my thoughts beyond “I like it!” or “I don’t like it”.

Trust in You
This is best overall cover from the "Covered by Us" thread, and I was proud to be asked to be a part of it, even in such a small capacity. For ilovellamas, I believe it is _Lost_ (lead vox), Raptor88 (guitars), Static_Martyr (bass), drummerbecca (drums; *she, by the way), and moi (vocal harmonies). Karin, have you ever been told that you sound similar to Gwen Stefani?

Fifty-First in Line
Hehe, I tried to get all Loudness Wars on this track. It’s a bit crackly, but not so bad. This song came out of much toil and trouble, namely, a huge writer's block. It is one of my favorite children, though I have a feeling that some of you would like others...Brianna, yep it's me (and all me, except for the drum machine [which I actually seemed to fool people with this time]). Haha, is it that surprising? I'm glad y’all like my voice, as it is what I’m most self-conscious about (heh, I can admit I suck at guitar, but I’ve been singing for a loooong time). Also, it’s nice to see some comparisons to other bands, because I don’t listen to punk outside of Offspring, Blink, and Green Day. Sorry if I’m rambling. Next!

The Underdog
Let me get this out of the way first: I don’t know what it is about your songs, but I’m sure I like them more at their current quality than I would if they were recorded in a studio. It just sounds like it was fun. So anyway, I was also thinking “wtf am I gonna like this?” during the first few bars, but once the drums come in, it’s almost all uphill. The harmony in the chorus is my favorite aspect of this song. Simple and effective, which is exactly what makes Dookie one of my favorite albums. The yelling part isn’t my favorite, though I usually enjoy your yelly voice. It’s not that bad, though. This is definitely my favorite of your stuff. A few points of concrit: Heh, the clipping drives me nuts! Maybe you have the levels a smidge too high? Also, I would love if you had a bit better vocal control, as in when and how often to stray from the main line. It feels like you do “runs” a little too often, and I’d enjoy it even more if you hit a note and stayed there. Of course, this is my taste. Go for what YOU know :P

Secrets (Acoustic)
Just YES.

Green Eyes
First off, your voice isn’t off-putting to me at all, BUT it does seem sort of unsure, tentative, in parts, BUT you don’t strike me as unsure about anything. So it’s probably purposely or just my imagination. You’re great at structure. The song builds—and wanes--wonderfully, and that one small section when the drums first come in (before everything else does) is my favorite. Besides the synth being ever-so-slightly out of time, that concord of sound is also very nice. What else can I say? It’s not my ideal type of music, but you do what you do very well. Oh, I also love how it ends.

Egyptian Robot Battle
I’m glad I decided to listen on headphones this time. It makes all the difference in the world. It’s great. There’s not much I can say that hasn’t been said already, except that I would totally play this game. And that Agent Orange will be coming to get you soon.

The UK’s Burning
I’m with llamas about the title, but I like this song. Offspringer24, do you guys have a different singer? Well, you were the singer and you posted this, so I guess not. You sound a lot different than I remember, and I lot better. I normally like my punk rock more melodic, with more variety vocally, and this reminds me of the older, more rock ‘n’ roll-influenced stuff. As per usual, it comes down to preference. I also agree with Mike about the length of the song.

Mature
I’m relieved to see that you’re being received better than I thought, because it’s good, and I’m becoming a big fan of your band. I think you’ve got a movement on your hands and I can see you kicking copious ass live. This particular song is one big-ass hurricane of beautiful noise that casts me in the air flailing with tension, confusion, and wonder. The solo is the eye, after which the onslaught continues. Then, just when I think it’s over, Hurricane Mature turns around and works me over one good last time, before setting me down in a blissful stupor. Heh, I was going to mention what I said before about enunciation, but that’s not a problem here! :D All the enunciation in the world wouldn’t help me understand the lyrics any better. But I love it anyway.

I See
Sanni, many kudos for the placement of this song after the previous one. Nice transition. So yeah, Karin we’re each other’s biggest groupie. I could copy and paste the PM where I gave you feedback that long time ago, but I _Lost_ it. If I could, however, I would take back where I said it’s not catchy enough, seeing as I had “I See” stuck in my head for the 5th time last night. It simply doesn’t get old for me. And I think you’re the best singer on the boards (I’ve been meaning to ask, have you ever had formal training in voice?). One thing I would definitely fix is the main riff-thing. The sound of it, anyway. It sounds super compressed, but I get the point of it so it’s not a big deal.

Save the Day
Right off the bat, I’m impressed that the drums are actually you. I thought it was a program. The guitar at the beginning is out of time, but you eventually get that in gear. I like the tempo changes. They give the song something, je ne sais quois, but it’s good. Now let’s get to the voice thing. It’s true, the vocals aren’t good. But as others have said, definitely don’t give up. I also don’t think it’s a matter of giving yourself time to mature, but rather practicing a LOT. Take a song and work with the vocal line extensively. Break that shit down, man. Spend ten minutes on each note, if you have to, until you hit it easily. I’ve heard worse and you’ll definitely get better. If you can get to Bob Dylan status, that’s all you really need. I wasn’t writing when I was 14, but if I had been, I’d be totally proud to have this song in my repertoire.

The Surge
You mentioned that the song wasn’t originally going to have lyrics, and I thought that it wouldn’t for a minute. The first part works, as the others have said, and I love that stuff is there, where/how it is for a reason. I wouldn’t think of that. I would have loved to see some panning, though. Everything is sort of in the center. The song itself is nice and I’m completely amazed that so much was improvised. It sounds very well thought out and cool. Did you have a general outline for the structure of the song? Also, I just realized that there are no drums anywhere. I’m not entirely certain what this says, but it’s good because I was sure there were. I think it’s a toss-up between this and “Leave the Decisions to Me” for my favorite of yours.

Repose
I was really hoping to hear something with you singing, as I haven’t heard your progress in that vein since August of last year. However, a guitar piece from Master Coneman is always welcome! If I cut some of the bass out of it, I could put this on loop and sleep like a babe, probably dreaming of Final Fantasy all along.

Ken’s Theme
Damn, is this really from Street Fighter 2? I’ve spent a total of weeks on that game, but I don’t recognize it. Possibly, it’s because I always beat him before the song had time to get anywhere. I’m sure I remember everyone else’s, though. I feel like I come across as patronizing when I say good job to you, but that is what you did.

Cosmo Canyon
If Secrets was a 10, you just cranked this bitch up to 11. I have no idea what Cosmo Canyon is, but I’m digging this 100%. The guitars and drums are just perfectly done. This is something I could put on my mp3 player and introduce into the regular rotation. I would feel so badass walking through the supermarket to this song. There’s no need to apologize for the effort put forth in this edition. My musical heroes on the BBS are Thib, mrconeman, coke_a_holic, and now you. Great Job!

...Perhaps I was a bit verbose.

mrconeman
12-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Wow, I'm loving the reaction and buzz surrounding this one! The Your Bands section has always felt like a better place to me on the BBS, there was a time I posted here pretty much exclusively, so it's great to see a project like this happen and succeed.

I haven't read the reviews yet, because I want to listen to it first and not to into it with any bias, I'll definitely listen to it and get a full review up by tonight though, I'm re-arranging my room at the minute and only really have time for backround music.

I will say one thing about the piece I submitted that ended up on the track, I wrote and recorded that about 2 years ago, and at the time I felt like it was a finished piece, just a small thing to break out maybe in the middle of a gig or something (I think choosing it as an outro was very appropriate btw, Vera!) but I've added another full section to it, it rounds out at about 3 minutes now, maybe I'll post it someday. The only reason I submitted it was because it was the only original piece of music I have on my pc now, and I can't record for awhile.

Anyway, I'll have a review up sometime later !

offspringer24
12-08-2008, 07:24 AM
randman, no mate same line up as has been for years with exeption of drummer, hes been with us for nearly a year now!

thanks for your kind words :)

ad8
12-08-2008, 09:55 AM
So... as I came back home I immediately downloaded the mixtape and started listening. My first conclusion: Impressing work. I am surprised how much I liked the more quiet/acoustic tracks since I normally tend to skip them. But it's not only the slower ones that I like. I think it's too early to rate the tracks yet because I'm certain that they'll still grow on me, but my first impression rating would be like 8/10.

Again thanks to Vera for compiling this. Also, I think the mixtape should be honored with a thread in GC since most forum users probably don't visit Your Band very often / at all.

mrconeman
12-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Okay, so I've listened to it once all the way through, so I'll get my review going now, I'll listen to each track again as I go...

Trust in You - The Forums. 7/10
I have to say, for some reason I was very pessimistic about the RAFRAG covers actually coming to any sort of completion - this proves me entirely wrong. This really was very well done, especially for having so many different contributors not even being able to record together, good stuff indeed. Actual musical comments, I guess the guitars could be a little louder, I think the drums are very well done, and the vocals carry the tune nicely. Enjoyed the musical interluede/guitar solo.

Fiftyfirst in Line - The Fisticuffs. 6.5/10
I got a Foo Fighters vibe off this during the opening, but as it went on I was pretty wrong about that - I liked the delayed guitar effect and the slow beginning moving into the punk section. My only real critisizm is that your voice seems too clear for this being a punk song. You can kinda take that as a compliment, I liked the voice quite a bit, but if you added a little more rasp in your tone it'd be great for this genre. Musically you can hear The Offspring influence, Noodlesy guitar solo too.

The Underdog - Static Martyr. 5/10
I can't help but get the feeling I've heard this exact chord progression and melody before, though it is a pretty generic combination of the both, I can see it having been used alot. All in all it's not bad, but pretty repetative. Guitar solo was easily the highlight.

Secrets Acoustic - Against Belief. 8/10
That riff is great, really great. I like how the backing vocals and lead vocals interract. I hate when punk bands pick up acoustic guitars and do nothing interesting but hit the same old powerchords with the same old lead singers voice, doing the same old thing. This is how acoustic punk should be done more often, it seems like theres actually a reason for it to be an acoustic song.

Green Eyes - Mike and the Incompl. 7/10
Firstly, great band name, secondly, why is this recorded really quietly? Anyway... I like this better than your last contribution, definitely, you've got that folksy/indie guitar tone perfectly from your guitar, and I like how the chorus counters the verses like that. Also when the rest of the instruments come in, thats a nice feel good melody. Good stuff.

Thibault - Egyptian Robot Battle. 8.5/10
The riff that starts at about 25 seconds is infectiously catchy, very nicely written, to me, if this was any heavier it would sound like Iron Maiden done an egyptian instrumental, could fit very well into their powerslave album. I dug the harmonized guitars, and the build ups where the guitars bass and drums were all hitting at the same time, the motif that ends it I mean - that bit is especially Maideny. I have to say, not as polished as your previous works, but still very good none the less.

UK's Burning - Dtox Rockers. 6.5/10
Very, very definite Offspring influence here, I liked the phase effect on the rhythm guitars. I mean, this is pretty generic American sounding Punk (even though you're English, obviously) but it's that general AFI/Offspring/Bad Religion sound. But it's done well, y'know? Not ripping anything off directly and it's decently written.

Mature - Ricetigers 4.5/10
Very badly recorded, very generic. Sorry, but the guitars sounded like distorted bass guitars going through keyboard amps, the drums were overly harsh, and ...really the vocals are just sore to listen too. The only track I was tempted to skip. The guitars during the solo clash with each other too much. I did like that one little interluede in the middle though - sorry to be so harsh, just trying to be as honest as I can.

I See - KD Shelton. 8/10
Really dug the arpeggios that you used as the intro and outro - and how it built into the rest of the song, you have a really good voice for this kind of song. I dunno why but the beginning and end passages where you were singing slower seemed Christmassy to me, I dunno. But yeah, you're voice is awesome on those parts. I really liked the bouncy acoustic guitar feel later and how it contrasts to the beginning and end, really nicely done. This song should be used in a movie montage.

Save The Day - Kevin Jewett. 5/10
Great dry guitar tone at the start, you have that perfect James Bond theme guitar tone, reverby/dry/tremolo effect. What gear did you use for that tone? The singing is very much out of tune/key though. I liked the overall vibe of the song, but man that guitar solo is totally out of touch with the rest of it, out of key.

The Surge - Brianna 8.5/10
Wow, cool to see how much this progressed from you let me hear the intro to it. You know pretty much what I thought of the intro anyway, but to reiterate those strings sounded awesome, and it was cool to hear you play sax, being that it's your main instrument. The vocals and everything else grabbed me by suprise, but I loved what you eventually did with the rest of the song - I think harmonizing your vocals was a great idea, it just sounded good that way.

Repose - Mr.Coneman - me/10
again instead of a review I'll explain where I was at, at the time. Unfortunatly I can't remember that well it was like two years ago I wrote and recorded what you're hearing on this, I remember at the time I'd pretty much just gotten as good as I was going to get at classical style finger picking on the guitar - hitting the root note of the chord, with the thumb, and picking out the rest/a melody with the fingers, and really wanted to write a piece in that style. I'd also just gotten into Randy Rhoads, and heard his classical style piece "Dee". So that was an inspiration to write a short finger-picked piece. As I mentioned before It's gotten lengthier since.

Thibault - Kens Theme - 7/10
I *love* Street Fighter, and this theme was a highlight of the game. Anyway, yeah, you did this justice, the rhythm guitars were a little too...I dunno downtuned sounding or something, I think this cover would sound better if it was shifted up a key, but still the lead melodies sounded great, and the inclusion of "Shoryuken!" at the beginning was just heart warming.

Against Belief - Cosmo Canyon 8.5/10
For me, FFVII, as for many other people is my favourite game, and easily in my top 3 for soundtracks. This was great work, is that just clean guitar picking out the arpeggio notes in the backround? that was great, any other cover I've heard of this left that whole section out and just let the main riff go. The only thing I would change is having the opening on just bass, and letting the guitar just take the main melodies, I just dont think distorted guitar suits those opening notes. Very good though.

I'll read the other reviews and the rest of the thread, and give reactions to my reviews and stuff in a little while.

_Lost_
12-08-2008, 10:27 AM
I See - KD Shelton. 8/10
I dunno why but the beginning and end passages where you were singing slower seemed Christmassy to me, I dunno.

hahaha! You are not the first person to say that. My friend swears up and down that the outro makes her think of silent night or O Holy Night.

Superdope
12-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Ok, so the drummer I know will be going to Mexico for 4 weeks(!), and I was wondering what type of drum machine you guys use for your tracks? I'm itching to get recording again.

Anyway, here's my review of the Mixtape Vol II:

Trust in You - The Forums

I had already heard this in the "rafrag by us" thread, but the vocal harmonies are as good as ever. I can't really put my finger on anything that could be better about the playing, but I would have changed some of the settings on both the guitar and the bass. A little too trebly, but maybe that's just me. But the playing and performance is great.

Fifty-First in Line - The Fisticuffs

I loved how the intro was way different than the rest of the song. You sit there, thinking that it would continue at that pace through the entire song, and then suddenly: BAM! it kicks into an entirely different gear. I love your voice in the choruses.

The Underdog - Static Martyr

People have said that this sounded like Green Day and I can only agree. I would have loved it if you guys had the means to record it in high quality, because I somehow feel that the low quality takes away from the song.

Secrets Acoustic - Against Belief

Holy fucking shit yes.

Green Eyes - Mike and the Incompl

I have to say that I really really love this. This one blows "Sleep is for the Rich" out of the water. Having read the lyrics I love it even more. This goes for the rest of the songs too, though.

Egyptian Robot Battle - Thibault Kervarech

This is probably my favorite. The dualing guitars supplement eachother perfectly, and the palm-muting sections are to die for. I love the egyptian vibe that you get from it.

The UK's Burning - Dtox Rockers

Straight up punk rock. At first it didn't really do anything for me, but the more I listen to it the better it gets. Somebody mentioned the phase-effect, which fits the song perfectly.

Mature - Ricetigers

I'm sorry but I cannot get past the vocals. The instruments go completely bonkers, so I guess you had a lot of fun playing. The little funky break, leading straight into guitar-ragnarok was pretty cool.

I See - KD Shelton

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. You have a beautiful voice. I feel that the drums are a bit out of place, but as you've already mentioned, they were an afterthought, and the track is good enough for me to put that aside.

Save the Day - Kevin Jewett

The guitars great, except for the solo, which seemed out of place. Also, you need to practice on your singing. It's all over the place :P . that being said, I find the chorus catchy.

The Surge - ilovellamas

I love songs with long intro's that don't necessarily reflect the whole song. You seem to have all kinds of different instruments going there. I dig. It gives it a sort of epic feel.

Repose - Mrconeman

I am a huge fan of your guitarmastery. This song sounds like sitting on top a hill a clear winter night looking at the stars, breathing in the cold air. A fitting closer.

Ken's Theme (Street Fighter 2) - Thibault Kervarech

That "Shoryuken!!" at the start made me literally laugh out loud. I love the street fighter series, and this cover does Ken's theme justice.

Cosmo Canyon - Against Belief

I don't know why, but I never really got in to the Final Fantasy series. Having absolutely no background information whatsoever, I still enjoyed this little piece.

Superdope
12-08-2008, 11:34 AM
So I consciously stole and raped a picture from google to create this:

http://i34.tinypic.com/2dceqyo.jpg

What do you think?

Rooster
12-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Ok, for everyone who said thar guitars are not loud enough, this is the working mix (i think that _lost_ put it together), but is without the vocals, if you want to check it out

http://rapidshare.com/files/171541497/Trust_In_You_instrumental_only.m4a.html

Llamas
12-08-2008, 12:57 PM
The Surge
You mentioned that the song wasnít originally going to have lyrics, and I thought that it wouldnít for a minute. The first part works, as the others have said, and I love that stuff is there, where/how it is for a reason. I wouldnít think of that. I would have loved to see some panning, though. Everything is sort of in the center. The song itself is nice and Iím completely amazed that so much was improvised. It sounds very well thought out and cool. Did you have a general outline for the structure of the song? Also, I just realized that there are no drums anywhere. Iím not entirely certain what this says, but itís good because I was sure there were. I think itís a toss-up between this and ďLeave the Decisions to MeĒ for my favorite of yours.

I actually don't know how to do panning, and on top of that, even if I did know how, I'd suck at it- I'm no recorder. I've always been musically inclined, but anything regarding recording and production I fail at because I hate doing it.
I'm shocked that it sounds well thought-out! I wrote this song faster than I've written any song in my life. As far as drums, I just don't have a drum set and haven't gotten any programming software partially because I generally think they sound like crap. I've been considering it, though... but none of my songs have drums. Thanks for the good review. :)

The Surge - Brianna 8.5/10
Wow, cool to see how much this progressed from you let me hear the intro to it. You know pretty much what I thought of the intro anyway, but to reiterate those strings sounded awesome, and it was cool to hear you play sax, being that it's your main instrument. The vocals and everything else grabbed me by suprise, but I loved what you eventually did with the rest of the song - I think harmonizing your vocals was a great idea, it just sounded good that way.
Wow, I got the highest numbered rating on the mixtape from you? Yeah, that's huge. :P I really glad you liked how it turned out, especially since you did hear the intro, I thought you'd end up being disappointed in how thrown together the second half is. And I'm glad you liked the harmonies... cause they were super basic and uncreative, haha. Thanks again. :)

I think the photo for the cover is funny, but it maybe should tie in a bit more to the Offspring bbs.

Static_Martyr
12-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Let me get this out of the way first: I don’t know what it is about your songs, but I’m sure I like them more at their current quality than I would if they were recorded in a studio. It just sounds like it was fun. So anyway, I was also thinking “wtf am I gonna like this?” during the first few bars, but once the drums come in, it’s almost all uphill. The harmony in the chorus is my favorite aspect of this song. Simple and effective, which is exactly what makes Dookie one of my favorite albums.

I was like this ---> :D for this entire paragraph~

The yelling part isn’t my favorite, though I usually enjoy your yelly voice. It’s not that bad, though. This is definitely my favorite of your stuff.

Truth be told, I'm not entirely happy with the scream-part either. I was experimenting one weekend when I did the first take and didn't like it (I kind of shoot off key near the end 'cause I couldn't remember what to do for a second, and the stumble is kind of obvious), and I was gonna go back and re-do it, but when I tried, I couldn't get it to sound like the rest of the recording (which means I would've had to do it all over again....bleh). So I left it.

A few points of concrit: Heh, the clipping drives me nuts! Maybe you have the levels a smidge too high?

I'm still working on this one; I think it's my mixer. It's not meant for this kind of precise recording; it's much too sensitive. I'm looking into a nice mixer that is less sensitive, but it's probably gonna be at least a couple months before I can afford one.

Unless, of course, someone has some, ah, recommendations? ;)

Also, I would love if you had a bit better vocal control, as in when and how often to stray from the main line. It feels like you do “runs” a little too often, and I’d enjoy it even more if you hit a note and stayed there. Of course, this is my taste. Go for what YOU know :P

I read this and thought, "Holy crap, I know exactly what he means!" I just recently did this song called "Swing," and as I was listening to the final version a couple days later, I realized exactly the same thing about it that you said about this one; I can't fucking do runs :mad: I mean, I can on a lower octave (for some reason my voice is stronger that way), but on higher notes it just sounds sloppy. So I'm kind of experimenting to that end, to determine if I should stop high runs altogether or just work on improving them. It's hard for me to tell if that's just how my voice is and always will be, or if it's something I can improve upon.

On a related note, does anyone here know if it's impossible to actually improve one's vocal range? Or am I just stuck with what I have? I've been listening to The Black Parade by MCR lately, and I absolutely adore these cascading vocal lines; Gerard Way sings so many different octaves that I actually thought they had two or three singers for awhile 0-0

The Underdog - Static Martyr. 5/10
I can't help but get the feeling I've heard this exact chord progression and melody before, though it is a pretty generic combination of the both, I can see it having been used alot. All in all it's not bad, but pretty repetative. Guitar solo was easily the highlight.

Well, I *did* write it while I was listening to "Teenagers" by MCR. Maybe that's why? In any case, it was the "pop" song off of our recent album~ And thanks, the guitar solo was kind of a bitch 0-0 I guess the repetition comes from my striving for that "retro-rockabilly" feel. Apparently I hit closer to '90s than rockabilly, but that's still cool 'cause I loves me some 90's Green Day~

The Underdog - Static Martyr

People have said that this sounded like Green Day and I can only agree. I would have loved it if you guys had the means to record it in high quality, because I somehow feel that the low quality takes away from the song.

*see previous response about mixer quality*

Oh, and :D at Green Day comparison #....is it 4? Booyah!

P.S.

Does anyone have the mixtape in mp3 form? There's some stupid-ass program on this computer that keeps me from opening .rar files....

Ryder1234
12-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Save The Day - Kevin Jewett. 5/10
Great dry guitar tone at the start, you have that perfect James Bond theme guitar tone, reverby/dry/tremolo effect. What gear did you use for that tone? The singing is very much out of tune/key though. I liked the overall vibe of the song, but man that guitar solo is totally out of touch with the rest of it, out of key.

I got that tone with my Line 6 Spider II. For the verse, I just set it to clean (green light (straight guitar)), added a little treble, and turned the tremolo knob until it was fading in and out at the right speed. For the chorus, I just set it to clean (red light this time (chorus + delay)), and turned off the delay. The guitar is a Ibanez RG350EX, and was set to the bridge pickup.

Homer
12-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Homer's BBS Mixtape II: Holidays Edition Review

Trust In You - The Forums 6/10
I was one of the skeptics of the 'Covered By Us' project. I can say that I am surprised by this song. However, I must say, even if the lead vocals are technically well done, there's just a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that says that they aren't suited for punk. Also, turn those guitars up!

Fifty-First In Line - The Fisticuffs 9/10
I like this song immensely. The mixing's great, the vocals never miss, the programmed drums aren't horribly apparent. It's just an all around great song. I can only imaging what you'd do with a studio at your disposal.

The Underdog - Static Martyr 8/10
I remember when I first listened to this song and thought "what the fuck is this poppy shit?!" Though, after a couple of listens, I have grown to like it. I like the lo-fi feel of the song, and couldn't imagine this song working with a high quality feel. One problem I have with it is when the singer starts yelling, it sounds like he's standing at the back of the room. Just turn down the gain when those parts come up.

Secrets Acoustic 9000+/10
I'm surprised people are liking this song. I guess I'll explain some of it. I wrote it, and performed rhythm and vocals. My old guitarist did the lead and the first half's backup vocals. It's short because it was written electrically, and it makes a great punk song. Here's a link (http://www.savefile.com/files/1539278) to the electric version, for those who are interested.

Green Eyes - Mike And The Incompl 9/10
Fuck everyone who doesn't like your vocals. I Love 'em. I also loved the way you mixed this song without getting any distortion, except for the beginning, which was too quite. WORLD TOUR 09!

Egyptian Robot Battle 9.5/10
As Mike said, it's the perfect title. Honestly, I can't find a more perfect title to be given to this song. In the history of music, there has never been a title as fitting to a song as this one is. Seriously, excellent title choice. Oh, and my only complaint is that you need a better drum machine! I recommend Acoustica Beatcraft.

The UK's Burning - Dtox Rockers 7.5/10
Pretty formulaic, but I didn't mind it. The song could've been mixed louder, but other than that, it's a decent song.

Mature - Ricetigers 7/10
I like the idea of this song, but the way it's been mixed is just really off-putting. don't add so much compression on the drums and turn it down, turn down the guitar just a tad, and it would be alright. Also, I can't tell if you're using a drum machine or an electric kit, but either way, tighten up the drums. If those problems are addressed, then you've got a good song on your hands.

I See - KD Shelton 8/10
I've got no real complaints about this song, other than you need to record your guitar at a higher bit-rate. It's sounds way too compressed.

Save The Day - Kevin Jewett 6/10
Guitar's good, drums just need to be tightened up a bit, and vocals need work. Keep it up, and soon you'll be making some great stuff.

The Surge - ilovellamas 9/10
I love the first half of the song, and how you managed to keep everything in perfect tempo and sounding great. I also love the second half and how the rhythm and the feel of the song changes not only once, but twice. A very good and original song. Also, extra points for having a lo-fi sound to it.

Repose - Monsieur Cone Man 8/10
Very... soothing I guess is the word I'm looking for. A great way to "end" the album. Not much else to say!

Ken's Theme - Thibault Kervarech 9/10
I'll admit it, I have never played a Street Fight game. However, I do recognize the "Shoryuken", which I loved. It sounds like a solid cover. My only complaints are once again that you need a better drum machine, but secondly, I feel that the rhythm should've been panned to the sides, as I felt it was being drowned out. But nevertheless, it's great to see a fellow game music cover-er!

Cosmo Canyon - ME <3/10
I don't know what to say, really. Just check out my Video Game Covers thread. I'm sure you'll find something you'll really like in there.

This was great work, is that just clean guitar picking out the arpeggio notes in the backround? that was great, any other cover I've heard of this left that whole section out and just let the main riff go.

Yes, it was just clean guitar, and yes, I hate it when people leave things like that out. It's integral to the song!

The only thing I would change is having the opening on just bass, and letting the guitar just take the main melodies, I just dont think distorted guitar suits those opening notes.

I know what you mean, and believe me when I tell you this: the bass did not sound good on its own. The reason is because I was using a shitty bass, and I was working on a deadline for that song. In fact, I had originally planned to use an upright bass for the song, but couldn't due to technical difficulties.

ANYWAYS,

Thanks to all who enjoyed my music, as I've enjoyed all of yours. As you can tell, I'm a softy when it comes to reviewing music. Also, I can't believe I haven't gotten a negative review... yet.

Llamas
12-08-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm surprised people are liking this song. I guess I'll explain some of it. I wrote it, and performed rhythm and vocals. My old guitarist did the lead and the first half's backup vocals. It's short because it was written electrically, and it makes a great punk song. Here's a link (http://www.savefile.com/files/1539278) to the electric version, for those who are interested.
Definitely don't like the electric version too much. Are you singing lead there, too? Because the vocals in it are just not very good, and the drums are way too loud. I also miss the harmony.

The Surge - ilovellamas 9/10
I love the first half of the song, and how you managed to keep everything in perfect tempo and sounding great. I also love the second half and how the rhythm and the feel of the song changes not only once, but twice. A very good and original song. Also, extra points for having a lo-fi sound to it.
haha, perfect tempo. Not in the second half. :D In the first half, I cheated; I used a metronome set to 100 bpm while I recorded the piano part. Then I recorded the rest over that. In the second half, though, I didn't use the metronome, and the tempo is definitely not steady! haha. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by lo-fi, though. Thanks for the review. :)

Homer
12-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Definitely don't like the electric version too much. Are you singing lead there, too? Because the vocals in it are just not very good, and the drums are way too loud. I also miss the harmony.

...hence the reason why the acoustic version is on the Mixtape! But yeah, it's an old recording. Way back before I knew how to record stuff. I will get a better recording of the song one of these days, complete with backing vocals.

haha, perfect tempo. Not in the second half. :D In the first half, I cheated; I used a metronome set to 100 bpm while I recorded the piano part. Then I recorded the rest over that. In the second half, though, I didn't use the metronome, and the tempo is definitely not steady! haha. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by lo-fi, though.

The steadiness on that song is something I'll never be able to achieve without drums. I guess that's why I made it the main focus on my review. Also, lo-fi, I meant just the hissing and and stuff. I just love that sound for some reason.

Thanks for the review. :)

No problem!

T-6005
12-08-2008, 06:06 PM

Egyptian Robot Battle 9.5/10
As Mike said, it's the perfect title. Honestly, I can't find a more perfect title to be given to this song. In the history of music, there has never been a title as fitting to a song as this one is. Seriously, excellent title choice. Oh, and my only complaint is that you need a better drum machine! I recommend Acoustica Beatcraft.

Ken's Theme - Thibault Kervarech 9/10
I'll admit it, I have never played a Street Fight game. However, I do recognize the "Shoryuken", which I loved. It sounds like a solid cover. My only complaints are once again that you need a better drum machine, but secondly, I feel that the rhythm should've been panned to the sides, as I felt it was being drowned out. But nevertheless, it's great to see a fellow game music cover-er!
The first one is MIDI drums, but the Street Fighter Theme is Acoustica Beatcraft. Most of my songs are, but it got brokedede.

_Lost_
12-08-2008, 06:24 PM

Trust In You - The Forums 6/10
I was one of the skeptics of the 'Covered By Us' project. I can say that I am surprised by this song. However, I must say, even if the lead vocals are technically well done, there's just a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that says that they aren't suited for punk. Also, turn those guitars up!
aww... :( :( :( :( ...

and since everyone keeps saying it and i totally agree, i will ask disclaimer to turn the guitars up if he doesn't see it here.

I See - KD Shelton 8/10
I've got no real complaints about this song, other than you need to record your guitar at a higher bit-rate. It's sounds way too compressed.
ironically, i doubled the bitrate for recording this track. I haven't the slightest clue what the fuck is up with it. but today i got a 1/4" to usb guitar cable ($40!!!) so I will be able to fix it.

Llamas
12-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Personally, I think the vocal style is perfectly suited for the song. My voice, for instance, would not work... but yours has just a bit of an edge that makes it work there.

Homer
12-08-2008, 06:54 PM
The first one is MIDI drums, but the Street Fighter Theme is Acoustica Beatcraft. Most of my songs are, but it got brokedede.

OH SHIT.

Well, I don't know then. I guess it's just the open high-hat sound you've got going on. Try and find a better one (I used the 'Open Hi-Hat' from the 'Dry Studio Kit' set at volume of 50).

aww... :( :( :( :( ...

Don't get me wrong, you're singing is fantastic, but I don't feel that it's suited for high-trebled guitars over loud and fast drumming.

randman21
12-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Fiftyfirst in Line - The Fisticuffs. 6.5/10
I got a Foo Fighters vibe off this during the opening, but as it went on I was pretty wrong about that - I liked the delayed guitar effect and the slow beginning moving into the punk section. My only real critisizm is that your voice seems too clear for this being a punk song. You can kinda take that as a compliment, I liked the voice quite a bit, but if you added a little more rasp in your tone it'd be great for this genre. Musically you can hear The Offspring influence, Noodlesy guitar solo too.

Hehe, I was about to "you-son-of-a-bitch" you because I believe your main criticism last time was the quality of my mic, but I totally gotcha. I've been through all five stages of grief, and have finally reached acceptance that a gritty voice is never gonna happen for me :P

Ok, so the drummer I know will be going to Mexico for 4 weeks(!), and I was wondering what type of drum machine you guys use for your tracks? I'm itching to get recording again.

Anyway, here's my review of the Mixtape Vol II:

Fifty-First in Line - The Fisticuffs

I loved how the intro was way different than the rest of the song. You sit there, thinking that it would continue at that pace through the entire song, and then suddenly: BAM! it kicks into an entirely different gear. I love your voice in the choruses.

Regarding the drum program, I used Hydrogen on the last Mixtape (it's free) and Acoustica Beatcraft this time (it's much better and not expensive). I'm going to try a good VSTi next time, though.

Now, thanks for the review Superdoooope! I hadn't realized that Auto Pilot was you last time, but I hate that you didn't get to participate. Next time, for sure!

Fifty-First In Line - The Fisticuffs 9/10
I like this song immensely. The mixing's great, the vocals never miss, the programmed drums aren't horribly apparent. It's just an all around great song. I can only imaging what you'd do with a studio at your disposal.

Thanks. I was hoping the mixing and overall quality was better this time. Oh, and thanks for posting the electric version of Secrets. I wanted to ask, but I didn't want to spoil my two-word review of the song.:p It's almost as good.

Homer
12-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I wanted to ask, but I didn't want to spoil my two-word review of the song.:p

It was the best review one could hope for.

T-6005
12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Well, I don't know then. I guess it's just the open high-hat sound you've got going on. Try and find a better one (I used the 'Open Hi-Hat' from the 'Dry Studio Kit' set at volume of 50).
I use the same, but I pan it to the right and set the volume a little higher, at around 65.

mrconeman
12-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Wow, after having read all the reviews for my track, I have to say I'm extremely flattered and really wasn't expecting such positive reviews at all, thanks everyone!

12. Repose - Cairan 8.5/10

I've always dug your guitar playing. Is this the original, I assume? I liked Breezygoing more, but this one has a very cool tone to it. I think it definitely sounds like it should go somewhere, into something else. Very relaxing song.
Yep, well as you know by now, this was the original I was telling you about, and yeah haha, even I agree my last submission was better, but that was a more technical piece from a version of me two years more advanced than this one, but you know that. I like that everyone says it's relaxing, exactly what I was going for. Also, you spelled my name wrong :mad::mad::mad: and I gave you my highest rating and everything! pahh!

Repose
I was really hoping to hear something with you singing, as I haven’t heard your progress in that vein since August of last year. However, a guitar piece from Master Coneman is always welcome! If I cut some of the bass out of it, I could put this on loop and sleep like a babe, probably dreaming of Final Fantasy all along.

This is probably the highest compliment you could have payed me, seriously, I appreciated that alot, it sounds odd to most people, but Nobuo Uematsu, the composer on the Final Fantasy series is actually a huge influence on me. I did submit a singing piece too, a cover of a Jimi Hendrix tune, it didn't end up on the mixtape, I only really submitted it because I thought Repose was too short, and I'm glad Vera chose the way she did.

Again, to everyone else, much thanks!

Superdope
12-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Regarding the drum program, I used Hydrogen on the last Mixtape (it's free) and Acoustica Beatcraft this time (it's much better and not expensive). I'm going to try a good VSTi next time, though.

Holy fucking shit, I just downloaded a trial version of beatcraft, and it's SO good! It's so easy to use, and the quality of the drums is amazing too. thanks for the recommendation!

ad8
12-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Mature - Ricetigers 7/10
I like the idea of this song, but the way it's been mixed is just really off-putting. don't add so much compression on the drums and turn it down, turn down the guitar just a tad, and it would be alright. Also, I can't tell if you're using a drum machine or an electric kit, but either way, tighten up the drums. If those problems are addressed, then you've got a good song on your hands.
Since I've used a drum program, I could easily change the drums. I've turned down the open hihat and the entire drumline. Is this version better?

http://rapidshare.com/files/171780778/mature.mp3

Oh. my. god. This song is fucking powerful / energetic / I don't know what to say. It's just epic. (I mean the electric version, gonna review the acoustic one later)

ad8
12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Trust in You - The Forums. 6.5/10
Good cover, although I also think that the vocals don't fit in well. I mean, they're technically marvellous, but they don't fit in with a fast punk song in my opinion.

Fiftyfirst in Line - The Fisticuffs. 9/10
First I was a bit scared by the vocal effects in the beginning, but after the third listen, they are more like a nice variety. The rest of the song is as good as I expected and I especially love the end. Vocals are flawless.

The Underdog - Static Martyr. 8/10
As usual, one of the few downsides is the quality. But it's not bad enough to make me not like this song. There is something about your music that I think I could never realise in my music. It seems so positive and light-hearted and I like that. It makes me feel like I'm on vacation every time I hear that song.

Secrets Acoustic - Against Belief. 8.5/10
Although I like the electric version better, it's still... wow. The vocals are nice, the guitar riff is quiet but also catchy - pure harmony. It's amazing how relaxing the acoustic version is, in contrast to the electric version which makes me want to destroy my room.

Green Eyes - Mike and the Incompl. 7/10
Again a nice acoustic song. I think the brass thing in the background could be a bit louder, but that's like the only thing I can criticise. Well done.
P.S. Your voice reminds me of some band I sometimes hear in the radio... but I don't know the name... it could be The Cure.

Thibault - Egyptian Robot Battle. 6.5/10
This is one of the songs that I don't really get into, but it's rather a personal/taste thing. Your technique is good and so is the sound. So don't take this too seriously. I liked Plaquot better. As I said, I don't get into the song, maybe because of the scale/feel or something like that. I liked Plaquot a lot better.

UK's Burning - Dtox Rockers. 6/10
Another song that, in my opinion, not as good as its antecessor of the first mixtape. Maybe I don't like it because the riff is a bit overused / the song is a bit too long, because I like the idea. Again I think that many other people could like this and that it's rather my own taste. Forbidden was one of my top favourites of mixtape no. 1, so it seems even more weird to me that I don't like this.

Mature - Ricetigers [Ķ*x≥]/10
Of course I was delighted by the positive feedback, but I also thank you for your constructive criticism. I already uploaded a new version with some slight changes. Any advice about how to improve my vocals would be very appreciated.

I See - KD Shelton. 7.5/10
Amazing song. Nice guitar play + this time, your vocals suit the song perfectly. The song is very harmonic and... relaxing:)

Save The Day - Kevin Jewett. 5.5/10
This is a weird one. It seems out of tune and I think it is because of the vocals and the guitar solo. I like the guitar and the drums. They are working well together and creating a cool vibe. The sound of your vocals is also good, but they're out of tune. I can imagine this to be a really cool song if the vocals harmonise with the rest. So keep on working, because this song has potential.
The Surge - Brianna 6/10
What I liked best about this song was the awesome intro with these nice piano notes and the other instruments fading in. Creates a really dreamy and fanciful atmosphere. I still like the chords of the second part of the song, but somehow it doesn't overwhelm me as the first part did. Overall it's a solid song, though.
Repose - Mr.Coneman - 7/10
And another quiet acoustic song. I think it's minimalist but still there is no need for more instruments or vocals. Somehow the guitar can entertain me without any help. Repose is the right title.

Thibault - Kens Theme - 7.5/10
I didn't know neither Kens Theme nor the its game but I have to say that this is a good song. I don't have to say anything about the technique or the sound quality because it's great as usual. I think solid is the right word.

Against Belief - Cosmo Canyon 7.5/10
Again I don't know the song and the game and again I think that this is a good one. It's very dynamic and somehow smooth. Good job.

Overall Impression:
After all, I want to say that I'm surprised by the variety of sounds that we have. There is a great idea behind every song and that's a good thing because you can always improve the quality, but just in a few cases you can improve the idea. My personal rating for the entire mixtape:

8/10

Very well done everyone!

(p.s.: at least general chat should benefit of this;))

_Lost_
12-09-2008, 09:23 AM
hahaha. I think its funny that both you and homer "technically" good/well done. I had the worst technique for that song. It makes me shudder to listen to just the vocal track. that actual execution could have been light years better on my part. but hey, to each his own, right?

Llamas
12-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Also, you spelled my name wrong :mad::mad::mad: and I gave you my highest rating and everything! pahh!

WTF is it Ciaran? I suck :( It's not my fault you has a weird Irish name!!! haha.

Homer
12-09-2008, 02:37 PM
I use the same, but I pan it to the right and set the volume a little higher, at around 65.

Oh yeah, now that I gave it another listen, I hear it now. Well, I don't know what to say. It still sounds obvious, but what I usually do to combat that is screw around with the volume on individual hits for accenting to make it sound more natural.

Nobuo Uematsu, the composer on the Final Fantasy series is actually a huge influence on me.

The man is an influence on me as well.

Since I've used a drum program, I could easily change the drums. I've turned down the open hihat and the entire drumline. Is this version better?[/URL]

I like it a lot more, but needs a tad more snare. That's nothing to get all up in arms over, but yeah, next song you make just put emphasis on the snare and bass drum. Also, if you are using two guitars for the rhythm, try panning them out to each speaker (one on the left, and one on the right), and centering the lead vocals. If you don't have two guitars, then what you've got is fine.

Oh. my. god. This song is fucking powerful / energetic / I don't know what to say. It's just epic. (I mean the electric version, gonna review the acoustic one later)

Thanks, I'll definitely re-record the song with better quality since it's also one of my favorite songs.

ad8
12-10-2008, 03:21 AM
I like it a lot more, but needs a tad more snare. That's nothing to get all up in arms over, but yeah, next song you make just put emphasis on the snare and bass drum. Also, if you are using two guitars for the rhythm, try panning them out to each speaker (one on the left, and one on the right), and centering the lead vocals. If you don't have two guitars, then what you've got is fine.
All right. Thanks for the advice. It's no big deal for me, so I could even do another version of mature. It's edited in 2 seconds.

Thanks, I'll definitely re-record the song with better quality since it's also one of my favorite songs.
Nice:) I'm looking forward to it.

randman21
12-10-2008, 04:10 AM
This is probably the highest compliment you could have payed me, seriously, I appreciated that alot, it sounds odd to most people, but Nobuo Uematsu, the composer on the Final Fantasy series is actually a huge influence on me.

Niiice. I'm not familiar with the vast majority of his work, but the Final Fantasy VIII soundtrack is one of the five best musical things to ever happen to me. No exaggeration.

Free?
12-10-2008, 05:36 AM
randman, Tim and Steve, Homer, Mike, T, Dtox, ad8, Lost, ryder, llamas, coneman, I appreciate the job you did much! No "skipable" tracks again, nice refreshing compilation.
The Forums, there is still some unfinished stuff which is the only thing that holds me from listening to your awesome Trust In You cover. ;)

Bazza
12-11-2008, 05:14 AM
I should really come on here more often, didn't realise vol2 was out. Downloading it now and hopefully will give opinions in a few days.