PDA

View Full Version : Worst Argument Ever: The "What if you Were?"

T-6005
11-06-2008, 09:42 PM
"Oh God, I'm so fat now."
"Well, what if you are fat? I love you anyway."

Thankfully I haven't made this mistake in a while. I considered it on a "the girlfriend is complaining" subject earlier tonight, but left it alone because it has NEVER WORKED EVER.

Discuss.

Apathy
11-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Why would you ever make that argument?

Sunny
11-07-2008, 03:46 AM
it never works because "what if you were" is essentially "well, you kinda are, but i don't mind".

like imagine you were like "my wang is puny" and she said "well, what it if is?". ;]

dr.vanessa
11-07-2008, 05:44 AM
it never works because "what if you were" is essentially "well, you kinda are, but i don't mind".

like imagine you were like "my wang is puny" and she said "well, what it if is?". ;]

lol exactly..and remember: women usually love to hear many sweet nice words by their(our)boyfriend..words that can make us feel that we are unique..;)

T-6005
11-07-2008, 08:55 AM
I just thought it amusing that one of the possible responses I thought of was that one. Thanks a lot for helping me think up a response, brain. Luckily that one didn't get through my filters or I'd have slept on the couch. Or maybe the floor.

As for my puny wang - it is none of your business what may or may not have been said.

Betty
11-07-2008, 10:52 AM
But what if YOU ARE, or what if IT IS?!

I believe that honesty is very important to a relationship...

OffspringHead
11-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Well. It's kind of like one of the lessons learned in liar liar. Some things you need to lie about. Like you can't tell your wife she gained 200 pounds since you got married and tell her that she went from looking like an angel to a horse. You still need to tell her she's beautiful and that you love her.

nieh
11-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Fatness is such a subjective thing.

_Lost_
11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
I don't get why any woman would be mean enough to ask their guy a question like that. Thats just asking for problems no matter what the guy says.

F@ BANKZ
11-07-2008, 12:16 PM
I personally think 'if I didn't somebody else would' is worse, although in this case it would make no sense whatsoever. Well, bye.

Cock Joke
11-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Well, what if you were to use that argument?

JohnnyNemesis
11-07-2008, 01:54 PM
But what if YOU ARE, or what if IT IS?!

I agree, but it doesn't have to conflict with tact...there are more delicate ways to put it while still being honest and straightforward.

Short_Attention_Span
11-07-2008, 07:15 PM
"Oh God, I'm so fat now."
"Well, what if you are fat? I love you anyway."

I feel the need to preface this with: I am a girl, and I've never been in a relationship, so maybe my views are a little off.

But, depending on how you said it, I wouldn't be too terribly offended. That sort of thing doesn't bother me, unless there was something else that was also bothering me on top of that. However, if you were to find me so unattractive that you go screw another girl behind my back, then there's a problem.

Then again, I wouldn't make remarks like that to my boyfriend. It always seems like when other girls do that they're looking to get into a fight. That's not right.

Dating is stupid.
________
Iolite Portable Vaporizer (http://iolitevaporizer.net/)

wheelchairman
11-08-2008, 04:02 AM
. However, if you were to find me so unattractive that you go screw another girl behind my back, then there's a problem.

Then again, I wouldn't make remarks like that to my boyfriend. It always seems like when other girls do that they're looking to get into a fight. That's not right.

Your first sentence is so illogical that it almost qualifies putting you into the second sentence.

dr.vanessa
11-08-2008, 04:29 AM

sure that's true for sure:) ..but it's also always important to say the truth in a kind way right?

Betty
11-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Sometimes I just don't get people. Seriously.

Hypothetical situation.

Say I'm dating somebody for a year and I gain 10 lbs. Since I am not a completely deluded person, I obviously KNOW I have gained 10 lbs. And presumably I wouldn't choose to date an idiot, so they probably suspect that I have gained some weight as well. They may have a gross misconception of how much I gained, or how much I actually weigh, but I'm pretty sure they would notice that something was up, in this case, a little extra flab.

If we both KNOW that I have gained weight, should either of us PRETEND that I did not gain weight? If I'm feeling particularly disgusted with myself one day and comment that I'm getting fat, why should I have a problem with my boyfriend saying that "yes, yes you are, but so what?" If there is no malicious intent, and he clearly has no problem with it and loves me and thinks I'm attractive anyway, and he is saying this in a light-hearted loving way, WHY should I have a problem with him saying this? That is STUPID. PEOPLE ARE STUPID. DON'T BE A STUPID PERSON. Think about your reactions.

Would YOU get mad if you were in this situation and you made the statement that you were getting fat (because you were) and your significant other said "so what if you are?" (in a nice way, of course) If so, then maybe you should re-examine why you are mad. You should not be mad about this, that is irrational. Did they say it in a MEAN way? If so, why are you in a relationship with somebody who is mean? Or with somebody who does not love you as much because you gained 10 lbs? Break up with them. Or are you also a mean, shallow person and are thus condemned to having a shitty relationship with another mean, shallow person? In which case, you still should not be mad because you're both mean, shallow people and you just have to learn to either not be mean and shallow or to accept that you are both terrible people and you have to have a fake relationship.

Yes, there is tact. Your boyfriend coming out of nowhere and saying "boy, you sure do look pretty fat today" is arguably pretty untactful and pretty unnecessary, even if it's true, and even if they're not trying to be mean. But the situation described is not untactful, in my opinion. If I said "God, I'm so fat now," I wouldn't want my boyfriend to say anything OTHER than "Yes, yes you are, but I love you anyway," because otherwise they are clearly lying.

/rant

Sorry, I've spent almost every hour for the last three weeks in front of my computer writing this massive paper, and I've spent too many hours trying to learn all of quantum chemistry and thermodynamics and math so that I can write this thing, and it's getting to my sanity I think.

randman21
11-08-2008, 04:15 PM
But the situation described is not untactful, in my opinion. If I said "God, I'm so fat now," I wouldn't want my boyfriend to say anything OTHER than "Yes, yes you are, but I love you anyway," because otherwise they are clearly lying.
Unless, of course, you're not fat, which is often the case. Everything else I agree with. I've used this before, and it didn't turn out badly.

_Lost_
11-08-2008, 04:26 PM
Sorry, I've spent almost every hour for the last three weeks in front of my computer writing this massive paper, and I've spent too many hours trying to learn all of quantum chemistry and thermodynamics and math so that I can write this thing, and it's getting to my sanity I think.

I think that would take anyones sanity. Yikes! I'm trying to learn thermodynamics well enough to do well on my next chem test (cause otherwise my grade is in serious jeopardy.)

But to get back on topic, I agree Betty. I think it should apply to friends too. A friend of mine has gained like 30 pounds in the last couple years. We all acknowledge it in our circle. We talk about it openly. And I think it has done more to help her work her way back to a healthy lifestyle than ignoring it or being mean about it would have. Its just a fact among our group of friends. But she knows that we still think she is great and that we don't like her any less because of it.

JohnnyNemesis
11-08-2008, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't want my boyfriend to say anything OTHER than "Yes, yes you are, but I love you anyway," because otherwise they are clearly lying.

But that's not the case all the time. People are fucking delusional sometimes, and I think the assumption that EVERYONE cares about that kind of thing or actually notices it isn't exactly accurate.

Sometimes people really don't give a shit about the weight difference.

nieh
11-08-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't normally notice when people gradually gain/lose weight if I see them overtime. And I don't thinking gaining 10 lbs is enough to push most people from slim/average into actually being "fat". I've never been a fan of how often that word is used to describe almost any girl that doesn't resemble a fucking stick figure.

Betty
11-08-2008, 05:50 PM
But that's not the case all the time. People are fucking delusional sometimes, and I think the assumption that EVERYONE cares about that kind of thing or actually notices it isn't exactly accurate.

Sometimes people really don't give a shit about the weight difference.

Fine. Yes. I completely agree. I'm wrong there, you're right. But that has nothing to do with my point that I'm trying to make.

If my boyfriend honestly has NO CLUE that I gained weight and so when I say I'm fat and he says "no you're not" because he doesn't think so, that's great too.

My point is that to expect him to say that when he agrees that you have gotten fatter is silly.

Sorry boys, perhaps I should have said 33.6 pounds.