PDA

View Full Version : The worst thing Obama could possibly do according to the news

sKratch
11-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Almost immediately after Obama's acceptance speech, the media started asking questions about how far left Obama's policies would be once he gets into office. On CNN they were saying that Obama absolutely has to lead as a center-left democrat. Bill O'Reilly almost shit his pants in a blog where he considered the possibility of Obama instituting radical leftist policies that would surely tear apart the moral fibers of our nation. He noted MoveOn's support of Obama; the organization will surely pressure Obama to take progressive stances.
Let's stop and think for a minute.
Obama will have a majority in the Senate and in the House (although he won't have the super majority that lets his party do whatever the fuck it wants). For the first time in a very long time, the Democrats have the House, Senate, and White House. As soon as a Chief Justice resigns, Obama will surely appoint a left-leaning Justice. Now, according to the media, the Democrats should wind all that up into a big thumb and stick it in their collective ass and sit on it. God forbid this opportunity is used to push issues that their base is craving to see progress on. Everyone in the news is saying that no one wants to see what they call "leftist" policies.
Usually it's crazy-conspiracy-talk to suggest that the media dictates the discourse; we expect, naturally, for the public to have concerns that then get picked up by the media. I think this is a legitimate case of quite the opposite occurring--the media is saying "this is what people think", and then we're all convinced. Why? I don't know, there are many plausible explanations mostly stemming from sponsorship-type arguments. I'll leave it at that. The reason is not necessarily the most important thing.
The main question is, why does the media accept hard-line rightist ideals all the time (with exceptions of course, please correct me if I'm wrong) but an elected "left" government is not allowed to act on its mandate? It seems like the worst thing Obama could possibly do is to do what his electorate wants him to do, as far as the media is concerned.

The saddest thing I have to say is I just had 1 pint of some crazy Omegang beer and I'm actually a little buzzed.

PS - Along the way of writing this, I completely lost most of what I was trying to say because lately I suck at putting my thoughts into words. Mota Boy, I invite you to say exactly what I'm thinking in an awesome way so that I can say, "Yeah. What he said."

JohnnyNemesis
11-07-2008, 03:16 PM
I always honestly and heartily lol when people in the media act like anything "radical" could ever possibly happen through governmental structures.

But I agree with everything you is sayin'.

sKratch
11-07-2008, 03:19 PM
An lol:
Right after I posted this, I went to check my email. From FAIR:

Immediately after Barack Obama was pronounced the victor in the 2008 presidential election, corporate media began to tell him how he ought to govern--in most cases, urging him to hew toward the center.

Also, yeah. Nothing can really change too radically based purely on the structure of our government. Unless...

Overthrow the government!!!!!

JohnnyNemesis
11-07-2008, 03:23 PM
DOWN WIT MODZ!!!

Oh, wait...

HornyPope
11-09-2008, 09:09 PM
I always honestly and heartily lol when people in the media act like anything "radical" could ever possibly happen through governmental structures.

But I agree with everything you is sayin'.

Like "change", right?

Not going to happen. Hussein ain't bringing it, boys and girls.

Static_Martyr
11-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Hey, at least he's not McCain....zero is still bigger than a negative number, you know~