PDA

View Full Version : I'm moving on...

IamSam
11-07-2008, 06:38 PM
I've played bass for two years now. I've been stymied though because I'll play a cool line and wish that I could place the guitar over the top of the bass line that I hear. This is what I want:

I want a guitar that you can play a ton of different types of music on. I want a guitar that can last a long time as well. And a small neck. I want a basic amp that has some cool effects already on it.

What can you do for me?

_Lost_
11-07-2008, 06:54 PM
ibanez or godin

ibanez is cheaper, but they are both great for that. i don't know how long the ibanez guitars hold up, but godin will last for you for forever.

ad8
11-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Ibanez all the way. Also, I'd buy a cheap amp and this. (http://www.zzounds.com/item--DGTRP50) That should give you hundreds of different sounds.

coke_a_holic
11-08-2008, 12:27 AM
People bitch the fuck about Fenders, but I use my Stratocaster to play everything from jazz to punk to blues to indie to whatever else I feel like. Their necks and bodies feel great and they look cool and I don't really understand why there's so much blind hatred for them by so many guitarists.

EDIT: Oh, but see if you can get a humbucker in the bridge pick-up.

Jebus
11-08-2008, 12:30 AM
That digitech RP50 sound horrible. Don't get it.

randman21
11-08-2008, 12:56 AM
How much are you looking to spend? If you're not on the tightest of budgets, there's a lot more stuff to choose from than you would probably want. If you are tight, there's still a lot. Ibanez seems to be popular here, but I've never played one.

Stylie
11-08-2008, 07:41 AM
I recommend you to check out my thread, many good advices there. ;)
http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34484

I've bought me an electric guitar and amp now, and I'm absolutely not regreting the choice. Ibanez is really good guitars, but of course, so is all those other marks too like Gibson, Fender etc. Ibanez also got very thin necks, really good to play on.

About amp. Well, I bought me a Voc AD30VT. Really good one, a bit more excpensive than the Roland Cube 30. Very happy about this amp, got 11 different amp types, 11 different effects plus some edit-buttons. Nice sounds, I recommend it. ^^

Good luck, I seeked help here too, and got many advices. But be sure to check out and here at your music store near you too. :D

_Lost_
11-08-2008, 09:28 AM
People bitch the fuck about Fenders, but I use my Stratocaster to play everything from jazz to punk to blues to indie to whatever else I feel like. Their necks and bodies feel great and they look cool and I don't really understand why there's so much blind hatred for them by so many guitarists.

EDIT: Oh, but see if you can get a humbucker in the bridge pick-up.

Stratocasters don't have nearly the versatility that Godins do. I don't hate them and I have quite a bit of experience with them. I love playing my dad's mexi-tele and my sister has a strat. Fender guitars are too twangy for me, but if it works for you thats great.

What I recommend IamSam, is that you hit up a local music store and take a bunch of guitars for a test drive. Find one that feels right to you. I'll vouch up down and backwards about Godin. Some of their models have a very Les Paul feel to them without the price tag. They are also not a common in music stores as Ibanez and Fender, so its not as easy to get ahold of a good one. But they are GREAT!

T-6005
11-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I don't know about the RP50, but I have a Digitech RP350 and it's fantastic. I've used it on all of my songs for the last two years and it sounds great.

As for guitars, if you're looking for a beginner guitar that's going to last you a while, not drain you dry, yet still be worth playing, I'd recommend a Yamaha Pacifica. Not the 102 or the 112, since you've played bass, but the 412. It's a good, versatile guitar with a great price tag and I highly recommend you go to your local store and see if you can try one out. It's got a humbucker at the bridge and single coils at the neck and a 5-way switch - very useful for switching tones on the fly.

If you're willing to spend more money, Fat Strats aren't a bad investment, like coke suggested, but if you're going to be spending that kind of cash you might as well get a PRS because they look awesome, and pretty much all of them sound fucking great and will last a long, long time.

I'm not going on about it for long because I don't know what your budget it, but I want to stress that you absolutely need to go to your local store and play at least 4 or 5 different kinds of guitars do decide what you want. I personally HATE Ibanez guitars but they tend to really appeal to beginner players, for whatever reason. The Ibanez bass I initially started playing (way back when in tenth grade - did the same thing you're doing) wasn't too bad, but then again I didn't need much.

Superdope
11-08-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't know about the RP50, but I have a Digitech RP350 and it's fantastic. I've used it on all of my songs for the last two years and it sounds great.

As for guitars, if you're looking for a beginner guitar that's going to last you a while, not drain you dry, yet still be worth playing, I'd recommend a Yamaha Pacifica. Not the 102 or the 112, since you've played bass, but the 412. It's a good, versatile guitar with a great price tag and I highly recommend you go to your local store and see if you can try one out. It's got a humbucker at the bridge and single coils at the neck and a 5-way switch - very useful for switching tones on the fly.

If you're willing to spend more money, Fat Strats aren't a bad investment, like coke suggested, but if you're going to be spending that kind of cash you might as well get a PRS because they look awesome, and pretty much all of them sound fucking great and will last a long, long time.

I'm not going on about it for long because I don't know what your budget it, but I want to stress that you absolutely need to go to your local store and play at least 4 or 5 different kinds of guitars do decide what you want. I personally HATE Ibanez guitars but they tend to really appeal to beginner players, for whatever reason. The Ibanez bass I initially started playing (way back when in tenth grade - did the same thing you're doing) wasn't too bad, but then again I didn't need much.

I agree with this

mushroom-eater
11-21-2008, 07:41 AM
I want to agree with coke that fenders are so versatile. Artist like malmsteen, eric johnson, eric clapton and john meyer to name a few.