PDA

View Full Version : Afi

Blitzkrieg Bop
11-10-2008, 04:01 AM
Some news from AFI :)

We've officially finished writing the 8th AFI album, and now we enter the studio to put it on tape. We have a fabulous producer we'll be working with, David Bottrill, who has worked on some fantastic and legendary albums by Peter Gabriel, Muse, Silverchair, Placebo, and Tool. We've spent this whole year crafting these songs and we're impatient to share them, so let's get busy.

H1T_That
11-10-2008, 05:34 AM
Cool. Will be interesting to see what direction they go in with this one.

Thomas
11-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Looks to me like this producer tends to work with darker-ish music, so hopefully it will be closer to Sing the Sorrow than Decemberunderground. Ask GreenTerror what she thinks of this, she knows a lot more about AFI than I do.

jacknife737
11-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Looks to me like this producer tends to work with darker-ish music, so hopefully it will be closer to Sing the Sorrow than Decemberunderground. Ask GreenTerror what she thinks of this, she knows a lot more about AFI than I do.

This. I know it's a bit of a clinched punx opinion (and hypocritical on my behalf, considering that it was Decemberunderground that made me finally check the band out) but i really hope Havok and company got all that stuff out of their system with that record (and Blaqk Audio) and make a more bear-bones pop-punk record.

bighead384
11-10-2008, 10:12 AM
This. I know it's a bit of a clinched punx opinion (and hypocritical on my behalf, considering that it was Decemberunderground that made me finally check the band out) but i really hope Havok and company got all that stuff out of their system with that record (and Blaqk Audio) and make a more bear-bones pop-punk record.

Boy, I don't know what to expect from the next Afi album, nor do I know what kind of album to hope for. A more pop-punk album would be cool, although I'd also like to see them to continue to experiment. Sing the Sorrow was a good mix of that, although overall, I'd say the songs on that album weren't quite their best.

H1T_That
11-11-2008, 04:59 PM
I generally find Sing The Sorrow to be my favourite by them..

cool 2 hate 681
11-11-2008, 05:35 PM
i should have not bumped the old afi thread (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215&page=53)

WebDudette
11-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Ask GreenTerror what she thinks of this, she knows a lot more about AFI than I do.

And less then me ;).

Anyway, I'm hoping for an older sound, a hardcore sound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z1hYhrGdOc)*. But I honestly can't expect that, and it probably wouldn't be popular. I'll expect a Sing the Sorrow type thing and hope its not a Decemberunderground type thing. In the end anything they do will likely be good.

*Yeah, its a cover with a different hardcore band, but its still awesome.

findout5
11-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Dave's an amazng producer. They will definately branch out to uncharted territory :) And it will (as always) be great!

cool 2 hate 681
12-18-2008, 08:27 PM
the website has changed

http://www.afireinside.net/

Llamas
12-18-2008, 08:53 PM
I hope to hear something that followed the flow from black sails -> art of drowning -> sing the sorrow, but was interrupted by decemberunderground. I felt like those three albums had a great progression, that should've gone somewhere with the next album.

Also, if AFI returns to their really early sound, I'll be way disappointed.

0r4ng3
12-18-2008, 09:10 PM
You mean like their Very Proud of Ya days? I'm sure it's pretty much impossible for them to go back to that now.

As for a new album, as long as they don't go out of their way to make it terrible, I'm sure I'll like whatever it turns out to be.

Llamas
12-18-2008, 09:12 PM
You mean like their Very Proud of Ya days? I'm sure it's pretty much impossible for them to go back to that now.

As for a new album, as long as they don't go out of their way to make it terrible, I'm sure I'll like whatever it turns out to be.

Yeah, I was just responding to what Pilz E said.

bighead384
12-19-2008, 01:12 AM
I think they're just going to concentrate on being really good songwriters on this next album. They've proven that they can experiment and reinvent themselves. Now the diversity of styles comes natural to them because they've expanded their sound and improved as musicians.

The only thing that really bothers me about new AFI is that Davey's pretentiousness seems more apparent in the newer styles they dabble in, compared to their hardcore/punk days. I hope they cut that out a little bit.

Blitzkrieg Bop
12-20-2008, 07:28 AM
AFI invite's fans to perform on their new record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_jcWoJyMMg

iPunk247
12-20-2008, 07:28 PM
don't get me wrong but i used to like/listened to AFI but i don't know what happened? but all i know is that i wished 'em the best in everything. my great hopes for 'em and individual fans of theirs as well. their music is still dope!!!:)

bouncingcoles
12-25-2008, 08:19 PM
my guess is they are going to go toward a more pop oriented sound for this album.

kissykitty
01-05-2009, 02:37 AM
AFI only had two really good songs prelude 12 21 and miss murder

then again that's the only two i know

prelude 12 21 i love it

http://www.imeem.com/people/VDgzyY/music/epZdi_xP/afi_prelude_1221/

WebDudette
01-05-2009, 02:46 AM
I fucking hate you.

This is almost as bad as the time some kid formed an argument against afi saying that all their songs were, 'really gay, emo, and mainstream. except for that miss murder song.'

kissykitty
01-05-2009, 03:07 AM
like i said
i don't even know their other songs:(

Free?
01-05-2009, 03:14 AM
Then it's kinda wrong to say that "AFI only had two really good songs". Choose your words more carefully next time.

0r4ng3
01-05-2009, 07:12 AM
Wouldn't that be a good thing, if someone likes the only two songs by a band they've ever heard?

Ninty Man
01-05-2009, 11:41 AM
like i said
i don't even know their other songs:(

Go and eat you own shit, please

findout5
01-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Poor girl. Leave her alone guys. She will listen to more songs! And I'm sure she'll be into them!

WebDudette
01-05-2009, 03:06 PM
I've returned to say that I am an asshole and my comments should be taken with a grain of salt. But I still stand by thinking that was a stupid comment.

MAXTER
01-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Then it's kinda wrong to say that "AFI only had two really good songs". Choose your words more carefully next time.

I Agree Entirely With Free :)

MAXTER
01-05-2009, 05:07 PM
I'll Be Waiting X

1 - Next Album
2 - Tour in Europe

RageAndLov
01-06-2009, 11:10 AM
I hope AFI sees the mistake they have done and gets their asses back to Nitro records and make the music they used to make. But unfortunatley I know that won't happend, so I hope this album will be at least better than Desemberunderground.

*Dreaming of AFI before they went mainstream*

findout5
01-06-2009, 12:09 PM
I hope AFI sees the mistake they have done and gets their asses back to Nitro records and make the music they used to make. But unfortunatley I know that won't happend, so I hope this album will be at least better than Desemberunderground.

*Dreaming of AFI before they went mainstream*

That's poop.
AFI left Nitro and made the best record of their career (STS) and then made the 2nd best record of their career (DU).
If you think not, go and listen do Answer that and stay fashionable - their first two records really really blow!

Ninty Man
01-06-2009, 06:18 PM
That's poop.
AFI left Nitro and made the best record of their career (STS) and then made the 2nd best record of their career (DU).
If you think not, go and listen do Answer that and stay fashionable - their first two records really really blow!

MMM... Are you saying that DU is better that Art of drowning=

findout5
01-07-2009, 02:19 AM
Definately.
Am Black Sails In The Sunset is only slighty less better than AOD.
Since 1999 all their records have been better than the previos, except DU which is a great record with load of great songs but doesn't feel as much as an album as STS.

RageAndLov
01-07-2009, 04:35 PM
That's poop.

Okay, Answer that and stay fashionable isn't their best album, but I think Very Proud Of Ya is a great album! And since Very Proud Of Ya they've been making awsome albums, like Black Sails In The Sunset, and Art Of Drowning. Sing The Sorrow is just an okay album, and Decemberunderground sucks IMO!

When they went major label they have just produced some mediocre pop rock albums.

Ninty Man
01-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Definately.
Since 1999 all their records have been better than the previos, except DU which is a great record with load of great songs but doesn't feel as much as an album as STS.

MMM... dude, I won't fight with you, but Art is such an awesome album, great songs, production, men that album is what AFI meant to be.

Sing the sorrow is... good, but I think it has too many fillers
December... is not that good

WebDudette
01-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Am I the only person ever who likes their entire Discography?

That said Sing the Sorrow/Black Sails/Art of Drowning are amazing, Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes/Very Proud of Ya' are also fantastic but obviously in a different way.

Decermberunderground and Answer That and Stay Fashionable are pretty good.

0r4ng3
01-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I share mostly the same opinions as you, but I haven't listened to enough of their first two albums to really make a judgment of them.

findout5
01-08-2009, 04:05 AM
Well, we all like AFI and different stages of AFI.
I personally can't stand the 1st two records. They sound very bad, the songwriting is poor. Shut your mouth and opens your eyes is an ok hardcore record. Th songwriting is better than previous. When Jade joined their records kept getting better. BSITS was the first AFI record I bought, and since I've bought everything they put out (even those 2 lousy first records).
I listen to a lot of genres. I'm not a "this is punk rock, therefore it's great. This isn't, therefore it sucks" kind of guy, although I once was (teenage years). I liked Pennywise a lot growing up, and now I can't stand them they make the same record over and over and over...the cicle never stops!
AFI on the other hand are one of the few bands out there (also Tool, Radiohead, Silverchair) that try to reinvent the wheel and produce something that is great and diffferent everytime. Im my ears they have succeeded! Their records keep getting better, and more chalenging to me, both as a listener and as a player.
I'm sure their new record will be amazing, because of what I said above and also because David Botrill is involved and he's THAT great.

Ninty Man
01-08-2009, 07:20 AM
I personally can't stand the 1st two records. They sound very bad, the songwriting is poor. Shut your mouth and opens your eyes is an ok hardcore record. Th songwriting is better than previous. When Jade joined their records kept getting better. BSITS was the first AFI record I bought, and since I've bought everything they put out (even those 2 lousy first records).
I listen to a lot of genres. I'm not a "this is punk rock, therefore it's great. This isn't, therefore it sucks" kind of guy, although I once was (teenage years). I liked Pennywise a lot growing up, and now I can't stand them they make the same record over and over and over...the cicle never stops!
AFI on the other hand are one of the few bands out there (also Tool, Radiohead, Silverchair) that try to reinvent the wheel and produce something that is great and diffferent everytime. Im my ears they have succeeded! Their records keep getting better, and more chalenging to me, both as a listener and as a player.
I'm sure their new record will be amazing, because of what I said above and also because David Botrill is involved and he's THAT great.

But Pennywise don't want to make something different, and I'm glad they won't.

AFI was good, but meh... December was an OK album

bighead384
01-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Definately.

They're about the same in my mind, and that's a good thing. It took me a while to come to like Black Sails as much as I do. At first, I was kind of like "this is pretty good, but it kind of all sounds the same". But slowly, over the years, I realized that almost all of those melodies stuck with me, and I grew to love basically every song on that album.

RODNEYMULLEN
01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Has anyone noticed that Miseria Cantare, the first track on Sing The Sorrow, sounds a lot like the Terminator theme song.

0r4ng3
01-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I noticed that a while back. It was pretty interesting the first time I heard it.

RageAndLov
01-09-2009, 08:04 AM

Well, good point. I think most of Pennywise' fan base likes Pennywise just because the albums are very similar, though.

But I think it is often good when bands evolves, it's just that AFI has evolved the wrong direction.

MAXTER
01-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Sing The Sorrow and Decemberunderground are the most greats cds of punkrock

findout5
01-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Sing The Sorrow and Decemberunderground are the most greats cds of punkrock

Right On man! Totally agree with ya!

findout5
01-14-2009, 02:37 AM
The Begin Transmission videos are up for voting:

http://begintransmission.afireinside.net/

RonWelty
01-14-2009, 05:15 AM
that 2 album aren't at all PUNK ROCK...

RageAndLov
01-14-2009, 03:12 PM

Which ones are you refering to now?

0r4ng3
01-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Probably their latest two. While they're probably not the uppest of punx, they're still both very good albums.

findout5
01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
If STS doesn't fall under the punk category, I guess every Offspring record since Smash doesn't either.

RageAndLov
01-14-2009, 03:25 PM
If STS doesn't fall under the punk category, I guess every Offspring record since Smash doesn't either.

You are correct. Both Offspring and AFI used to play punk, and now they are playing something else.

Ninty Man
01-15-2009, 01:50 PM
You are correct. Both Offspring and AFI used to play punk, and now they are playing something else.

Ixnay, americana, conspiracy and splinter where punk enough, but rafrag is punk as fuck, because is not punk

MAXTER
01-15-2009, 06:40 PM

ohh I'm sorry they are "Alternative Rock"! :D