PDA

View Full Version : New Sum 41 Song Always!

RODNEYMULLEN
11-11-2008, 05:52 PM
I don't know, i'm not sure if i like it. Wheres the does this look infected style of music?
http://www.mediafire.com/?jlzvmixnnjy
The official album quality version will be released on their greatest hits album coming out on November 26th, but for some reason is a japan release only.

EDIT: It's actually starting to grow on me, maybe it's not such a bad song. But i still think that sum 41 was best in the DTLI? and Chuck era. Thats true sum 41.

SaiKYoU
11-12-2008, 06:09 AM
fuck i'm done... Underclass heroe had some listenables songs, the faster ones, but this sucks...

i really really really miss Dave Brownsound...

medi01
11-12-2008, 11:38 AM
it sounds quite kl... although always by blink springs to mind which i expect ppl will say is a bad thing (not that it is)

Gustavo
11-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Oh, I liked this one. =]
It's pretty good, actually. I didn't like Underclass Hero much.
This song sounds much better than the UH ones though.

I still really do miss Dave :(

0r4ng3
11-12-2008, 12:03 PM
It's okay, not great. I know it'll grow on me if I listen to it enough.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
11-12-2008, 12:28 PM
I love it, sounds kinda like Walking Disaster, but Dave really rocked, i miss him too...His guitar playing was the reason i started to listen to sum 41 :(

Free?
11-12-2008, 03:00 PM
They still sound like Sum 41, but they evolve into something teeny-emotional, seems like they're overimpressed with later blink182 - Angels&Airwaves sound. Metal influence is gone, more of broken-heart stuff.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
11-12-2008, 03:23 PM
They still sound like Sum 41, but they evolve into something teeny-emotional, seems like they're overimpressed with later blink182 - Angels&Airwaves sound. Metal influence is gone, more of broken-heart stuff.

qft...Dave was the "metalhead" of sum41

Rooster
11-12-2008, 04:08 PM
One day Iggy Pop said this band had balls (i read it somewhere). If they had balls, they must have lost them in the incident when Chuck saved their lives. Chuck was their last good album for me. Now they are just... TOO different from what they were like in the beginning.

IamSam
11-12-2008, 04:16 PM
That sounds horrible.

jacknife737
11-12-2008, 04:37 PM
I wasn't terribly impressed. I think it's gotten to stage where i've just moved beyond these guys. Still, i'll always hold a nostalgic part in my heart for All Killer No Filler; hell, Does This Look Infected was a decent release as well.

SyLeS
11-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Man i used to really like these guys, what happend...

Conspiracyof1000
11-13-2008, 02:30 AM
(listening to it as I type)
As a radio-friendly pop-rock song, I like it.
As a Sum 41 song, no, it just doesn't feel like them.
Again, what happened?

IamSam
11-13-2008, 02:23 PM
He got married.

RODNEYMULLEN
11-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Steve said in the making of underclass hero, that after aknf they went through a period where they didn't know what they wanted to do, and that there finally making good music again and shit. But it's like the exact opposite of that.

ben123
11-13-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm tired of this Avril Lavigne side project shit. I wish Dave would be still in Sum 41. Sick stuff.

jacknife737
11-13-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't know how much exposure they've gotten outside of Canada, but Dave's new band Brown Brigade is also pretty terrible.

Rooster
11-13-2008, 06:07 PM
It's a horrible thing to see a once good band becoming something that can't even be properly described... They are horrible now in my opinion, and i can see i'm not the only one who thinks that. Where have the days of Half Hour Of Power and Does This Look Infected gone? I still listen to those CDs though.

Cock Joke
11-13-2008, 06:10 PM
I've heard better from these guys. They're a great band and I hope they're not sliding downhill.

Smash_Returns
11-13-2008, 09:21 PM
All Killer No Filler and Does This Look Infected? were the only good Sum 41 cd's.

Chuck was okay, but I can't stand anything after it.

Rooster
11-14-2008, 09:23 AM
I've heard better from these guys. They're a great band and I hope they're not sliding downhill.

Unfortunately it looks like they are...

Static_Martyr
11-14-2008, 08:11 PM
I think people are overreacting just a little bit....for one, their guitarist just left the band a year or so ago, and Deryck has probably had a lot of catching up to do with having to learn the songs (hell, as it stands they probably can't even play most of their old stuff live anymore, because no one can play the guitar parts like Dave could); also, even if this is their "down" period, it's not a guarantee that everything from here on out is going to suck. I mean, the Ramones went through two or three albums before their big comeback; Green Day did the largely unpopular Warning (which I liked anyway, BTW) and Superhits/Shenanigans and then came back with American Idiot.

And when we add the Offspring's new album into the equation....it seems that the biggest boom always comes right after the greatest hits album. If this new Sum 41 song is for the greatest hits comp like I've heard, then maybe that means we'll be seeing something better in the future?

In other news: I thought Underclass Hero was great, considering what it was --- an album that the band probably busted ass to scrape together after their most talented guitarist left the band --- and I'm willing to give 'em some time to recuperate from the loss of Dave before I write 'em off. I mean, I really like their sound, whether it's pop or rock or metal or anything else; I just hope they don't tread water on this same pop concept across two or three albums, like Collective Soul did.

Cock Joke
11-14-2008, 08:53 PM
it seems that the biggest boom always comes right after the greatest hits album.

This is something I've always noticed!

Everything else you said was great, too. Comeback albums are always nice.

Rooster
11-15-2008, 09:35 AM
I think people are overreacting just a little bit....for one, their guitarist just left the band a year or so ago, and Deryck has probably had a lot of catching up to do with having to learn the songs (hell, as it stands they probably can't even play most of their old stuff live anymore, because no one can play the guitar parts like Dave could); also, even if this is their "down" period, it's not a guarantee that everything from here on out is going to suck. I mean, the Ramones went through two or three albums before their big comeback; Green Day did the largely unpopular Warning (which I liked anyway, BTW) and Superhits/Shenanigans and then came back with American Idiot.

And when we add the Offspring's new album into the equation....it seems that the biggest boom always comes right after the greatest hits album. If this new Sum 41 song is for the greatest hits comp like I've heard, then maybe that means we'll be seeing something better in the future?

In other news: I thought Underclass Hero was great, considering what it was --- an album that the band probably busted ass to scrape together after their most talented guitarist left the band --- and I'm willing to give 'em some time to recuperate from the loss of Dave before I write 'em off. I mean, I really like their sound, whether it's pop or rock or metal or anything else; I just hope they don't tread water on this same pop concept across two or three albums, like Collective Soul did.

Well, opinions differ. I didn't like what i've heard from Underclass Hero, and i don't like the new song either.

On the other hand, i hope you are right about the comeback. Those things DO happen, i mean, who would even think that Metallica could return the way they did with Death Magnetic. I hope that Sum 41 would return to the sound they had on Does This Look Infected album (not copying the songs from it, just being a bit more agressive).

Static_Martyr
11-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Well, opinions differ. I didn't like what i've heard from Underclass Hero, and i don't like the new song either.

Ah, I don't blame ya. Most people don't like that kind of pop, for whatever reason. I can also understand a lot of the criticism for UC; I mean, if you examine it closely it's basically a conceptual knockoff of American Idiot and Black Parade:

Underclass Hero = Savior of the Broken = Jesus of Suburbia

From the song Underclass Hero:

"It's us against them/we're here to represent
And spit right in the face of the establishment"

From "St. Jimmy" on American Idiot:

"King of the forty thieves/and I'm here to represent
The needle in the vein of the establishment"

So in that sense, I can completely understand the sentiment~

At the same time, though, I'm torn about what to think of them "returning to the old sound;" that seems like it could go either way. Going back to Green Day, we can see that they probably aren't going to be going back to "old Green Day" (i.e. Dookie/pre-Dookie era), but rather they're going to stick around either completely new material or something more like Warning/American Idiot (if you've seen the vids from the studio that came out sometime in October, you'll see what I mean). Meanwhile, The Offspring kinda did a little of both with their new album --- Half-Truism, Trust In You and Hammerhead sound pretty traditional Offspring, YGGFK is a bit more CO1 material, and yet we have things like KAYDO and Fix You.

I'm not sure what I really want to hear out of Sum 41 next. I really liked most of DTLI?, but it wasn't without its fillers; All Messed Up, Hyper-Insomnia-Para-Condroid and Billy Spleen just seemed filler-tastic to me (albeit tolerably so). Chuck, though.....I loved Chuck all the way through, and I never skip anything from that one. But although I think Chuck is a better album as a whole, I think DTLI has better individual songs (i.e. the songs have more individual identity); Chuck is an album I pretty much have to listen to all the way through, not one song here and then something else there. Don't know if that makes sense 0_0

I think that might be because DTLI? was more pop-oriented, so it had the hooks and melodies and harmonies and things, but it was lacking the metal-ish impact of Chuck --- like they were afraid to have too many in-depth solos. I mean, Hell Song has one, and then No Brains has one, and I suppose you can count Still Waiting even though it's just a looping riff and not really a solo....but the entire second half of the album has braindead-easy stuff compared to the first half. It just kind of tapered off. Chuck was strong all the way through; not all the songs had solos, but there was better pacing --- I really like the background work on Bitter End and 88 :) And I also liked how there weren't a bunch of solos right next to each other and then nothing for half the album.

I guess what I want is this: I want something with the lyrical style of Underclass Hero (the lyrics, save for the title track and the two slow ones, are some of the best I've heard from them), the guitar technicality of chuck, and the leads and harmonies of DTLI? I think that would be almost the perfect Sum 41 album, and a great idea to come back on :D

Wow. I wrote too much. Sorry 0_0

medi01
11-16-2008, 11:38 AM

Ah, I don't blame ya. Most people don't like that kind of pop, for whatever reason. I can also understand a lot of the criticism for UC; I mean, if you examine it closely it's basically a conceptual knockoff of American Idiot and Black Parade:

Underclass Hero = Savior of the Broken = Jesus of Suburbia

From the song Underclass Hero:

"It's us against them/we're here to represent
And spit right in the face of the establishment"

From "St. Jimmy" on American Idiot:

"King of the forty thieves/and I'm here to represent
The needle in the vein of the establishment"

i think that if u think that UH is a "conceptual knockoff" of other albums then u have way too much free time on ur hands to actually put ur point across. bands dont steal off each other, its just there is so much music in the world some of it has got to be similar! seriously just leave it. UH is a sum 41 album written by deryk, cone and steveo and nnot by green day or anyone else

Static_Martyr
11-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Don't get me wrong; I love Underclass Hero. But I think it'd be a bit unrealistic to deny that there is some strong Green Day influence in there, especially considering that the band has admitted that Green Day was one of the biggest influences behind this album. It may not be a direct, deliberate knock-off, but it was almost certainly more than just a coincidence. I'd probably be more inclined to believe it was a coincidence if the similarities weren't so close, both musically and socially (Green Day and Sum 41 are both very popular bands at the moment, and it seems odd that their albums --- which came out only a few years apart --- have very, very similar nomenclature and lyrical structure). I just think it was a weak move on their part; but like I said, I blame that largely on the fact that they lost Dave. I think we would have seen a completely different album if Dave were still in the band, and I don't really blame them for having arguably weaker material in light of this. Although I still like Underclass Hero; I just don't feel it has a strong enough identity to really stand on its own against its precursors.

RODNEYMULLEN
11-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Myspace Rip! It's alot better sounding than that 48k stream.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2kzk9y
Or Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HekYO6ljRU

Bipolar Bear
11-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Pretty good song
Of course I'll always prefer all killer no filler...but this is some good shit
hope they keep making music

Static_Martyr
11-18-2008, 02:11 PM
I really like the new song. The intro caught me off guard, but the rest of it is pretty schweet --- I like the piano harmony, or whatever that is in the background, and I like the darker tonality; it's kind of dark, but not really heavy. Take out the lyrics and it could be a sweet "final boss" theme from a really bad-ass RPG or something. It's got this kind of climactic feel to it :D

EDIT: Yeah, that's totally a piano during the verse. The intro lines are pretty sweet, too (this is only my 3rd or 4th listen, or else I'd probably have remembered that....)

Free?
11-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Yeah, what bores me about Sum41, it's their repetitive lyrics. It seems like at least half of their songs are about being in desperate-paranoid-no solution situation. It was great in the beginning, but after all these years their new song "Always" is just the same old story.

renato piquette
11-18-2008, 02:37 PM
really,or they are singin the same old clichés about George W. Bush

Static_Martyr
11-18-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I hear ya Free?. That's part of why I liked Underclass Hero so much; there wasn't as much dull brooding involved. There's a song in particular your criticism made me think of, though, from DTLI?, and it's the one that goes something like, "It's gone too far/where's my mind?/Why can't I stop fear this paranoia?" which I can totally understand someone wanting to cringe upon hearing; it's quite corny.

Which sucks; I really like the first half of DTLI?, plus the last song ("Hooch," I think it was called), but the second half was mostly filler. It just seemed....I dunno, unfinished. Woulda made a good demo CD, I think, but hardly a full-length album. I think if they had just released the first have of DTLI? as an EP, it would have been as close to perfect as they have ever come.

RODNEYMULLEN
11-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I hear ya Free?. That's part of why I liked Underclass Hero so much; there wasn't as much dull brooding involved. There's a song in particular your criticism made me think of, though, from DTLI?, and it's the one that goes something like, "It's gone too far/where's my mind?/Why can't I stop fear this paranoia?" which I can totally understand someone wanting to cringe upon hearing; it's quite corny.

Which sucks; I really like the first half of DTLI?, plus the last song ("Hooch," I think it was called), but the second half was mostly filler. It just seemed....I dunno, unfinished. Woulda made a good demo CD, I think, but hardly a full-length album. I think if they had just released the first have of DTLI? as an EP, it would have been as close to perfect as they have ever come.

Are you kidding? DTLI? was by far there best album. Every song on it fucking kicks ass. Underclass hero was not there best stuff. I just seems way to over produced. I seems like all the songs were good but then they just kept mixing it and adding tracks till it all was way over produced and then put it out. And the song your talking about is Hyper-Insomnia-Para-Condroid and is one of my favorite sum 41 songs.

Oh and by the way, here is an even better quality rip of always.
http://www.mediafire.com/?e2glnkqngwz