PDA

View Full Version : Hammerhead of the Gods

Loose Cannon
11-13-2008, 08:37 PM
This site I found this review from rocks. It's called "Are You F---ing Kidding Me?" The following post is a lot better with the pictures and Youtube video.

http://www.rufkm.net/2008/11/hammerhead-of-gods-offsprings-deep.html
Hammerhead of the Gods: The Offspring's Deep Thoughts

Over the last few months while flipping through the rock channels of my Sirius radio and marveling about their stock price of 35 cents (not an exaggeration), I occasionally heard snippets of a song called "Hammerhead" by Offspring. It was very catchy but the only words I really could make out due to the high pitched vocal stylings of Dexter Holland were the lyrics "Hammer" and "Head."

Since the Offspring have blown goats for a decade and are usually singing about the relative flyness of a white guy and confirming that they weren't a dweeb (just a sucker with low self esteem) I assumed that "Hammerhead" was about:

1. The adventures of a Shark:

2. A new theme song for that dude in the Star War's cantina:

3. A really big fan of this dancing guy to your right that you are unable to touch:

Are You F---ing Kidding Me? I was WAY off on my analysis.

Even though Offspring's last few CD's were just as enjoyable as rubbing my family jewels over aquarium gravel and then spritzing them with Bactine, on the strength of "Hammerhead" I decided to purchase their new album Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace. I chose....wisely. Put simply, if you like Offspring, you'll like this album. Not only are the majority of songs their best since Smash and Ixnay on the Hombre, it sounds incredible overall and especially on headphones since it's produced by Bob Rock (Motley Crue, Metallica). And it was on headphones that I could decipher the majority of the lyrics which I believe is a salute to the courage of American soldiers while at the same time

condemning the war they're fighting. Whatever. You figure it out. Regardless, it's pretty deep stuff for a band like Offspring. For me it doesn't really matter since I still liked the song when I thought it was about an MC Hammer fanatic. I didn't even know they had a weird video to go along with it that has images similar to the animation sequences of Pink Floyd's The Wall. I found it and posted it above for your viewing pleasure.

Here are the lyrics. Now go spend 99 cents at iTunes and smile.

I am the one
Camouflage and guns
Risk my life
To keep my people from harm

Authority
Vested in me
I sacrifice
With my brothers in arms

Take a life
That ten others may live
Oh that's just the way it goes
It's playing over and over in my head
Where it'll ends
Nobody knows

Stay the course
Reasonable force
I believe I serve a greater good

Smoke and dust
Enemies are crushed
Nothing left
Where a man once stood

Through this doorway
what's on the other side
Never knowing
Exactly what I'll find
Locked and loaded
Voices screaming
Let's go!
But I'm just doing what I'm told

Bang band it hammers in my head
In my head
In my head

Yeah though I walk through the valley
of shadows and death, I will fear no evil:
For Thou art with me
Locked and loaded
Gonna find my truth
Now I'm busting through
And hell breaks loose

And you can all hide behind your desks now
And you can cry "teacher come help me"
Through you all
My aim is true

randman21
11-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Haha, pretty great review. Hammerhead is my favorite song from that album. This review actually goes in one of the stickied threads, but I'm glad you didn't put it there, or I wouldn't have seen it. Thanks for posting it.

cool 2 hate 681
11-13-2008, 08:58 PM
This review actually goes in one of the stickied threads, but I'm glad you didn't put it there, or I wouldn't have seen it. Thanks for posting it.

it looks like the review threads are gone:confused:

Cock Joke
11-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Ahahahahahahahahahaha PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

_Lost_
11-13-2008, 09:18 PM
it looks like the review threads are gone:confused:
yeah... they actually unstickied that one a while ago i think...

randman21
11-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Heh, damn. All it took was a couple of clicks for me to check, but I didn't.

SuperKnux
11-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Even though Offspring's last few CD's were just as enjoyable as rubbing my family jewels over aquarium gravel and then spritzing them with Bactine, on the strength of "Hammerhead" I decided to purchase their new album Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace.

Hahaha, that's great. Thanks for posting this up. I needed a laugh.

Rutegard
11-14-2008, 04:29 AM
And it was on headphones that I could decipher the majority of the lyrics which I believe is a salute to the courage of American soldiers while at the same time condemning the war they're fighting.

coudln't say it better myself!! u totally nailed it

ad8
11-14-2008, 09:09 AM
Regardless, it's pretty deep stuff for a band like Offspring.

lol. someone hasn't heard their earlier albums yet:D

Rutegard
11-15-2008, 02:53 AM
lol. someone hasn't heard their earlier albums yet:D

maybe cause they think their first album was smash or americana ;) it happens a lot

RageAndLov
11-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Hammer of the Gods is actually a song from a band called The Network