PDA

View Full Version : Friends with radically different views

bighead384
11-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Do you have any friends with radically different political views than you? I have a few, and we've had some heated arguments that have gone waayy too far unfortunately. I hate to say it, but it's actually become somewhat of a problem. I'm liberal, and even though I respect a lot of conservative perspectives to some extent, there are some ideas that a lot of conservatives have that I can't stand. What the hell can I do?

wheelchairman
11-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Indeed I have been in the same boat as you for years.

However we just avoided discussing politics in general really. And to be honest I'm far less passionate about my views than I used to be (or I guess far less insecure...?). I don't really care that other people have differences of opinions (of course they do) and in a country like Denmark the debates aren't that heated anyways because politics is handled relatively reasonably.

But my friends often have heated political debates... Sometimes I take part but usually I talk to other people while they do that.

jacknife737
11-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Not really, my political views are slightly to the left of center(socially progressive, economically/foreign policy views = more towards the center) thus i usually find at least some common ground with my friends no matter what their views. I certainly have some more conservative minded friends, but we don't mind discussing politics since i find groupthink to be tedious, but we never get into "arguments".

However, in class i encounter a wider range of political opinions (especially since i'm a history/politics student), and i find in tutorials there are more heated discussions then between my friends and I.

My advice to you is to simply keep political discussion civil; stop it from escalating to a pissing contest. If you find your discussion turning into an argument, change the subject or make light of the situation.

JohnnyNemesis
11-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I don't even keep that kind of company, mostly because I believe that the whole "you have your view and I have mine" thing is complete and utter bullshit when it comes to politics and the like.

It always seems like it's just a difference of opinion for the people who don't really feel the negative affects of policies the same way that I do, for example. But it's not. It's easy to have that kind of distance from views if you're...well...dumb and rich, for instance. But usually it comes down to something like my humanity or whatever, and that's when I think it's less a difference of opinion and about something a bit deeper instead.

Moose
11-14-2008, 09:42 PM
i dont like when people dont associate (hate) or judge wrongly other people for political views...like i understand you think they are wrong, but some people see a person they disagree with as evil, bad, an asshole, etc....that's just ridiculous because obviously if half the U.S. is divided, then you can make reasonable arguments for a lot of different issues.

socially, me and my friends are all pretty much on the same page...i guess you can call it liberal, but i try to restrict using those words for the social views...

...some of my friends do disagree with me when it comes to how we should govern though...as far as certain things like smaller gov't over bigger gov't, and the like...i have been called a liberal, a republican, a libertarian, a heathen, etc...

...and i also assume i'm pretty hated on this board as well haha...and i can probably add being called a conservative to that list...especially when i was pissing everyone off with the obama stuff...which was mildly entertaining.

T-6005
11-15-2008, 02:53 PM
I honestly try to stay away from politics, especially when talking to my friends. I am just appalled at some of the things people are still discussing in the 21st century - abortion? Gay rights?

It just amazes me that these things even have to have a presence in the political sphere when the solutions should be obvious - they are people. Give them their fucking rights.

I think if I ever met a friend who believed that allowing two people to celebrate their love and have it recognized by a NONRELIGIOUS body like the government was wrong, I would lose all respect for that person and never talk to them again.

So I generally avoid politics. I am also sadly uninformed in my own home nation's politics, so I don't vote. I believe an uninformed electorate is the worst possible form of democracy and therefore keep my uninformed decisions out of my country's future.

Moose
11-15-2008, 03:37 PM
I think if I ever met a friend who believed that allowing two people to celebrate their love and have it recognized by a NONRELIGIOUS body like the government was wrong, I would lose all respect for that person and never talk to them again.

...see this is what im talking about :(

WebDudette
11-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Most people who have significantly different views aren't that close to me or we never discuss them.

Rooster
11-15-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't have these problems, as my friends usually share (for most part at least) the same views as me (i'm leaning more to the left side), but even if we disagree in some points, i can accept that. Usually.

In one occasion however, one of my former school mates brought one of his friends to a party that our class organised, and that guy happened to be a far-right wing neo-nazi skinhead, wearing jacket with celtic crosses and names of other organisations, and he showed a picture of a tatoo he would soon get (the nazi germay eagle with a swastika underneath), and he was all proud to be a nazi. My schoolmate was supporting his ideas. And that made me sick to my stomach. I can tolerate different views than mine, but neo-nazis are exceptions that i can't stand. The funny thing is that many of them don't even really know what are the ideals they support (most of them have only basic idea of what it's all about), they just think they are cool if they are nazis. But either way, a nazi bastard is a nazi bastard, no matter if they really know what their ideology's about or not.

Llamas
11-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Since I'm a moderate, nobody tends to have "radically" different views... unless they're like non bathing vegan forcing hippies or racist bible thumper conservatives. People of either of those two varieties I avoid.

Sunny
11-16-2008, 06:43 AM
I generally don't hang out with people who have radically different views. i don't mind debating or disagreeing with people, but in some cases, i just can't imagine myself having anything in common with a person who believes gay marriage is wrong, women should pay for their own rape kits and everyone who doesn't share "America's christian values" is evil or a terrorist. to me, that shit automatically disqualifies you as a potential friend... because, quite frankly, it means you are a grade A asshole.

similarly, i tend not to hang out with people who pride themselves on being racist, anti-feminist or lacking compassion towards animals. i don't even make the decision consciously, like, "oh i won't be friends with you, asshole"... i just never end up hanging out with people like that. luckily.

Mota Boy
11-16-2008, 11:21 AM
If I may brag on myself, one of the more useful skills I possess is the ability to talk with friends or acquaintances with different points of view and having a good, respectful discussion. The key is to acknowledge your own side's failings, so that 1) you do reach some common ground and 2) people realize you're not an idealogue (or is that just a word the Right invented?), then to quickly move past the specific point of contention into the broader idealogical debate. I.e. don't keep hammering away at pro-life or pro-choice or pro or anti gay marriage, because that's the endpoint - the policy arena is the point at which ideas have already been formed and so you're just two people coming at the same debate from different perspectives and assumptions - it's those assumptions that must be challenged and debated.

For one, this is the best way to really change someone's mind, by altering the foundation upon which they build their worldview. For another, it's a much more esoteric debate, removed from a real-world issue, and almost always much less contentious. (Note - this must be done fairly carefully and tactfully - if the real point of contention is a literal interpretation of the Bible, again dig deeper and debate the intentions of God... it becomes a discussion rather than an argument). Usually, after a good debate I end up closer with the people with whom I'm arguing.

Static_Martyr
11-16-2008, 11:25 AM
^That's actually surprisingly close to what I do in a lot of my internet debates. We had a discussion very much like that on Crossexamined.org (hard-fucking-core conservative extremist blog) a couple weeks ago; I think I pissed some people off, although that wasn't my intention 0_0

Hypno Toad
11-19-2008, 02:10 AM
Do you have any friends with radically different political views than you? I have a few, and we've had some heated arguments that have gone waayy too far unfortunately. I hate to say it, but it's actually become somewhat of a problem. I'm liberal, and even though I respect a lot of conservative perspectives to some extent, there are some ideas that a lot of conservatives have that I can't stand. What the hell can I do?

I have a native friend with the stupidest political and social views ever. But In then name of respect, I am more subtle about explaining why his views are very wrong.

wheelchairman
11-19-2008, 07:29 AM
I have a native friend with the stupidest political and social views ever.

lol typo?

Hypno Toad
11-20-2008, 05:15 PM
lol typo?

No...

He is native.

N-A-T-I-V-E (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas)

I find it ironic, because I figured native views leaned a bit more to the left.

bighead384
11-20-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm learning a lot lately, but I still don't know enough to fully convince some of my friends to ditch some of their bullshit conservative views. It doesn't help that's it's even harder to achieve this in person, at least for me. I have at least made some progress with them and got them to at least somewhat see my point, but they remain ignorant on many issues because they listen to fucking talk radio. *Sigh* it's depressing really.

wheelchairman
11-21-2008, 06:17 AM
No...

He is native.

N-A-T-I-V-E (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas)

I find it ironic, because I figured native views leaned a bit more to the left.
It just seemed quite silly to attribute a political attitude to someone based solely on his skin color.

Just because people have the wrong skin color doesn't mean they have the wrong political views.