PDA

View Full Version : What do you consier to be musical skill?

Tyler Durden
11-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Like, with a guitar, or bass, or anything. Is it being able to write good riffs, or is it being able to play them? Is it being able to play something fast, or is it being able to be complex with your playing? Or is it all simple songwriting, but then that isn't really skill but writing right?

T-6005
11-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Writing is a skill.

When I first started playing guitar, I figured I'd consider myself reasonably skillful once I could do a certain number of things, but now that I've reached that initial plateau I was aiming for, I've come to understand that instruments have far too many techniques, some which can be taught and others that simply depend on where the instrumentalist decides to take his ability, that simply can't be quantified in any way.

So to answer your question - I believe there is a thing as reasonably competent. I believe I have reached that stage. I also believe there is a stage where you'd count as "good" to someone, but everyone has different expectations of that stage, and attempting to quantify it is fruitless.

Free?
11-16-2008, 03:51 AM
Skill means ability to play technically flawless. Fast or complex or slow or simple, doesn't matter. I think that most of musicians who are skilled players are good at writing music as well, so playing/writing is just one thing.
However there's one more thing, probably the most important. It's about what meaning you put in music you write. I believe that's another criteria of musical skill.

findout5
11-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Good taste. Knowing when not to play.

Andy
11-22-2008, 08:58 AM
I've got a good ear for guitars. Give me a riff and I can come up with a good complementary fun beat after a couple of listens. I'm also pretty quick at building an understanding with other musicians, which allows for very productive and exciting jams.