PDA

View Full Version : most stereotype-reinforcing albums (or songs) ever

XYlophonetreeZ
11-16-2008, 03:36 AM
Is there a band or artist you know of that continually embarrasses themselves by sounding so lame and stereotypical, and then they go and release something that just confirms all the assumptions you ever made about them?

Possible example: Creed- "With Arms Wide Open." We all know Creed is terrible, laughable, and Scott Stapp is a fag. This song quintessentially embodies all of that. Bonus points if you're watching the music video. I'm just looking for stuff like that.

Here's one of my own. I used to love Sponge, but now they're just amazingly lame. Even from their inception, they were a bunch of leather-clad second-or-third-generation Polish and Italian Americans from Detroit, so still pretty easy to make fun of. They've lost all but one of their original members and have resorted to faggotry like calling themselves "Detroit's Hardest Rocking Band." Their fifth album, badassedly titled "The Man," was completely terrible and just basically sounded like glammy butt-rock- like they dreamed of being in Vegas forever with an endless supply of hookers, cocaine, and leather. And now... this is their sixth and latest album, "Galore Galore." Just look at the fucking cover.
http://www.spongetheband.com/Sponge-GaloreGaloreCD.jpg

Fucking wow. And the track listing:
1. I Wanna Lose
2. Through the Hard Times
3. Party Till We Drop
4. I Did It Without the Drugs
5. No D.O.A. on Sunday
6. Flop
7. Skill of Kill
8. Wasted
9. Time Bomb USA
10. Hard to Keep My Cool
11. Dig My Own Grave

"Party Till We Drop"? "I Did it Without the Drugs"?? "Wasted"??? "Skill of Kill????" Yep. Congratulations, Vinnie & co., you're walking stereotypes. Musically, this album is a small notch up from their previous awful endeavor, but still pretty bad and easily their second worst album. Even the few good songs are so cheesy they can't be called anything but guilty pleasures.

bighead384
11-18-2008, 12:03 PM
"Love Hurts" by Incubus and "Believe" by Staind are the most typical fucking songs possible. And from a lyrical standpoint, Staind is keeping pace with their usual "this makes me want to kill myself" type lyrics, and Incubus, with their pseudo philosophical bullshit lyrics. "Dude, it's like...love hurts, man...love hurts". But I'll always insist that Incubus' earlier albums rocked. Although if you've already discovered how corny and pretentious Incubus is, it would be hard to get into even their superior earlier stuff now.

XYlophonetreeZ
11-19-2008, 12:32 AM
"Love Hurts" by Incubus and "Believe" by Staind are the most typical fucking songs possible. And from a lyrical standpoint, Staind is keeping pace with their usual "this makes me want to kill myself" type lyrics, and Incubus, with their pseudo philosophical bullshit lyrics. "Dude, it's like...love hurts, man...love hurts". But I'll always insist that Incubus' earlier albums rocked. Although if you've already discovered how corny and pretentious Incubus is, it would be hard to get into even their superior earlier stuff now.
Fully agree on all counts. I've been one of the core resident Incubus haters here for a long time, along with JohnnyNemesis and Jakebert and probably more. And Staind are shitty too.

Llamas
11-19-2008, 06:36 PM
I agree with bighead, as well. I really like "S.C.I.E.N.C.E." very good album... but yes, if you're already familiar with Incubus's bullshit, it'd be hard to appreciate something like that album.

jacknife737
11-19-2008, 06:56 PM
The Casualties

With such song titles as Proud to Be Punk, For The Punx, Punk Rock Love, and Punx Unite it's like they're trying to come up with the most generic titles imaginable. If i didn't know any better, i'd suspect they were some sort of parody, weird al type band. You're street punx, we get it, kindly move on.

Cock Joke
11-19-2008, 07:34 PM
I agree with you on that rant about Creed and Scott Stapp.

But the album cover on the other hand...

JohnnyNemesis
11-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Meh, Incubus was spinning that pretentious bullshit even on S.C.I.E.N.C.E, they just bumped it up a notch as the albums went on. Oh, how I fucking loathe them.

nieh
11-19-2008, 09:30 PM
The Casualties

With such song titles as Proud to Be Punk, For The Punx, Punk Rock Love, and Punx Unite it's like they're trying to come up with the most generic titles imaginable. If i didn't know any better, i'd suspect they were some sort of parody, weird al type band. You're street punx, we get it, kindly move on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVNi8vw83w4

Llamas
11-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Meh, Incubus was spinning that pretentious bullshit even on S.C.I.E.N.C.E, they just bumped it up a notch as the albums went on. Oh, how I fucking loathe them.

Oh, they were. No doubt about that. However, at least on that album, they had a great sound and were fun to listen to... the newer albums were just so drab and generic, so it made the pretentious lyrics stand out even more. Plus it was even like the music sounds pretentious... like heeyyyyy this is so, like, modern and new age and deep, you know? It's the SOUND of the S.C.I.E.N.C.E. album that was good in comparison... and well, the lyrics weren't as pretentiously stupid.

bighead384
11-20-2008, 12:40 AM

That's pretty much true but A) I got into those albums when I was younger and had a less accurate bullshit detector B) I kinda thought Brandon Boyd was just trying write lyrics to match the mood and atmosphere of the music Incubus made. But now I really just think he's just as lame as Maynard from Tool is, which is pretty fucking lame. The difference being that Tool has songs/albums that are fucking masterpieces.