PDA

View Full Version : You're gonna go far, kid.

JoD
11-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm curious. Dose anyone know who wrote the song, and what their inspiration for it was?

jacknife737
11-16-2008, 10:16 PM
The song is listed as written by "The Offspring", as per the booklet of my copy of Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace.

The song meaning is up to some degree of interpretation. In my view (based on the lyrics/ album art) the song is referring to a type of personality that seems to infect the corporate/political world, of doing anything to get ahead, no matter what the consequences.

JoD
11-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Personally I have a more specific personality trait in mind at the moment. I only know of four people who have it. I'm looking for more.

_Lost_
11-16-2008, 11:11 PM
usually dexter writes most of the music, but they've all said this was a much more collaborative album than anything else they've done.

basically imo, the song is saying that some people are willing to get so focused on what their goals are that they are willing to screw anyone over and become an incredibly manipulative controlling individual in the process to achieve them. They are willing to stomp on anyone, but all that bad charma (or however you want to think of it) is going to come back on them in end. you know?

JoD
11-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks, do you happen to have a link to an interview regarding yggfk? I went to the link in the interview's thread, but I can't find it there.

_Lost_
11-16-2008, 11:37 PM
i haven't seen any myself. But then again, I haven't really been keeping up with the album interviews. there are too many. but they don't usually really explain any of their songs. except for the few "dexter on the songs" that dexter did a couple years ago and the extras on the greatest hits dvd. (i've been a member here for four years. don't let my new profile fool you.) i've seen so many threads about trying to find exactly what they meant with a certain song and its rare that anyone can find anything. it'll be even harder with an album so new. and i can't find any interviews in old threads on here about the lyrics. sorry. they may explain it in the future, but its not all that likely i think. i find the meaning pretty straightforward. its hard to know where inspiration comes from for these kinds of songs. a lot of the stuff i write myself is more of an analogy than a reflection of an actual experience. like this one poem that makes an analogy between self destructive behavior(drinking, drugs, unhealthy relationships, criminal acts) and suicide. no one would ever know that that is what i meant. And i'm sure that if it were a popular song, people would all be asking about who i knew that committed suicide, much like they ponder about whether it was dexter's daughters mother who died and inspired gone away (i don't even begin to believe this really and i don't really give a rats ass. i know what gone away means to me and thats all i care about).

but back on topic, i think its too early to really be able to expect to find an explanation by them about this song. My advice to you is to just take your own meaning from it. because its not what the artist meant that makes the art great, its the meaning you take from it yourself that counts.

sorry for the long post

JoD
11-16-2008, 11:41 PM
If it's truly what I'm thinking then we'll never hear who it was that had the idea of the song, let alone what it's about. Hell, it may not even be one of the band members... if not then it took some skill...

_Lost_
11-16-2008, 11:48 PM
well now i want to know what in the world you are thinking of. if you so desire, i would love to read your idea, but i won't get it until the morning because i need sleep. so, if you feel like it, explain away. i would love to read all about it tomorrow.

jacknife737
11-16-2008, 11:49 PM
There was one link posted in the interviews thread (or another thread) where Dexter mentioned a couple things about the song, unfortunately i don't have the link but there is an interview out there, somewhere, maybe someone else knows what i'm talking about.

JoD
11-16-2008, 11:53 PM
I think I need to get some sleep too, send me a message on myspace and I'll tell you about it. Chances are I won't be back on here in a while seeing as how I've already forgot my password. Judge Of Deception.

JoD
11-16-2008, 11:54 PM
thanks, Hopefully I'll be able to find it.

sbazzone
11-17-2008, 08:57 AM
There are 2 interviews (in spanish) with Dexter that say something about the song:

http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/suplementos/no/12-3695-2008-10-23.html

http://www.clarin.com/suplementos/si/2008/06/13/3-01692762.htm

in short:

"The song tells of the actions of a high school boy who suffers from a behavioral disorder, which leads him to try to manipulate mentally the individuals that he found trying to make them form a social group with him"

brothadave79
11-17-2008, 01:36 PM
There was one link posted in the interviews thread (or another thread) where Dexter mentioned a couple things about the song, unfortunately i don't have the link but there is an interview out there, somewhere, maybe someone else knows what i'm talking about.

I remember hearing the interview too. It was with a radio station I think. And Dexter basically said what you did before about the song about being, and I paraphrase, about 'how you see some kids on the playground at school, and they spread rumors about other people for whatever reason. Some people never really grow out of that, and they end up in the corporate world or become politicians and keep doing the same thing to get ahead at others' expense.'

Again, not an actual quote, but he did talk about how it's something that starts when people are kids, but they never "grow up."

cool 2 hate 681
11-17-2008, 01:58 PM
it was with the denver colorado radio station that hosted big gig i still have the interview and if anyone wants it i can upload it?

Jesus
11-17-2008, 02:22 PM
The song is listed as written by "The Offspring", as per the booklet of my copy of Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace.

Yeah but that's just because Dexter is nice ;).

http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&page=1&keyid=9805306&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID

_Lost_
11-17-2008, 02:25 PM
it was with the denver colorado radio station that hosted big gig i still have the interview and if anyone wants it i can upload it?

yeah, i know I would love to hear.

and lol jesus

IamSam
11-17-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm find it funny (fau paux not funny ha ha) that you won't post your idea on here. It must be pretty heinous.

jacknife737
11-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Yeah but that's just because Dexter is nice ;).

http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&page=1&keyid=9805306&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID

Wow, that site is pretty cool, anyone know what this is?

2005 PGA GOLF-BG CUES (Legal Title)
BMI Work #0
Songwriter/Composer Current Affiliation CAE/IPI #
HOLLAND BRYAN KEITH BMI 227455957

http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&keyID=0&ShowNbr=1121630000&ShowSeqNbr=23&querytype=WorkID

cool 2 hate 681
11-17-2008, 06:56 PM
yeah, i know I would love to hear.

and lol jesus

here you go http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qrytndztdmr

_Lost_
11-17-2008, 07:19 PM
thanks! :D