PDA

View Full Version : songs that should have been singles?

XYlophonetreeZ
11-19-2008, 12:36 AM
So "This Celluloid Dream" by AFI just came on shuffle for me, and I got to thinking what a better choice that would have been for a single than say, "The Leaving Song Part II," which was released as a single from the same album. I'm too busy right now to think about making a list of other cases, but I thought this seemed like a good topic for a thread. Any other examples?

jacknife737
11-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Neat idea for a thread

Dillinger Four – Civil War
-Either Gainesville or Americanpremierfaithbasedinitiative

D4 is a punx band that doesn’t release singles, which is fine, they don’t really want to embrace that side of the music industry, and after 10+ years as a band, they seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. But, I mean, either of those songs has more emotion and rawness then any pop-punk song you’d hear on the radio.

Green Day – American Idiot
-Give me Novocain

Now American Idiot sold about a billion copies, so I really doubt they’d have changed their mind about what singles they chose for that release. But, I feel as if this track is one of the most underrated tracks from that album. It’s a brilliant pop song.

Mighty Mighty Bosstones – Pay Attention
- Where You Come From
-My favorite Bosstones record, but alas it was definatley a “sleeper hit” in the mainstream, mostly due to their choice of singles, She Just Happened, and So Sad to Say. Both songs are great tracks, She Just Happened in particular, but I feel they would have had more success if they didn’t chose a couple of the more “softer” sounding songs on the album. Where You Come From is poppy sounding, but it’s also faster and has a bit more of an edge to it, and it’s chorus is just so damn catchy

JohnnyNemesis
11-19-2008, 09:07 PM
^I think Over The Eggshells and Riot on Broad Street would have been the best choices, personally.

I've been meaning to make this thread for years. I'll chime in sometime soon.

Cock Joke
11-19-2008, 10:04 PM
"Be Yourself" (I believe that's what it's called) by Supernova. No one's ever heard of them, tho.

Alex101
11-20-2008, 09:11 AM
There are a few...

Bad Religion - No Control (1989)
- Either "I Want to Conquer the World" or "You". Both are actually great songs off the No Control record, which, in my opinion, should have achieved the same success as BR's 1994 gold record Stranger Than Fiction.

Fishbone - Truth and Soul (1988)
- I'll go with "Ghetto Soundwave". It's just one of my favorite songs off Truth and Soul.

D.I. - Horse Bites, Dog Cries (1986)
- "Hang Ten In East Berlin". This was one of D.I.'s most famous songs, despite the fact that there are lot of people those days who have never heard of them. D.I. had some members who were in Social Distortion during their early career, and The Offspring also covered their song "O.C. Life" as the bonus track for Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace.

renato piquette
11-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Well,i can think of tons of bands,but let´s pick the offspring :)
starting from smash til rise and fall:
Smash:bad habit
ixnay:mota,cool to hate
americana:staring at the sun,americana,have you ever,walla walla
conspiracy:vultures,huck it
splinter:lightning rod,long way home
rise and fall:stuff is messed up,half-truism,trust in you

and from bad religion i´ve always thought that both "kyoto now" and "you" should have been singles

0r4ng3
11-20-2008, 11:44 PM
I didn't really think of this until earlier today, but "Burn The Evidence" by Billy Talent would have been a pretty good single. Better than "Surrender", anyway. I mean, I like the song, but the video, not so much. I think "Burn The Evidence" would have made a much better video.