PDA

View Full Version : Self-Destruction

Rooster
11-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Ok, i proudly announce i'm finally releasing a "promo" of my band's song (we still don't have a name though) titeled Self-Destruction. It's only a part of the song now (the full demo is still in the recording stage). Enjoy :)

edit: link not working anymore, removed

randman21
11-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Oh, yeah...It's lovely. Music to my ears. :D I'm really liking how you moved my favorite part to make it the sort of "main lead riff" or whatever it's called. I wouldn't have thought of that. It sounds big and epic, and I can't wait to hear the whole thing. So, since it's still in the recording phase, does that mean there are lyrics?

Rooster
11-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Well, i don't have the whole lyrics yet, but i think they'll son be finished. Now the bass part is being recorded (this is without it).

dff_punk
11-20-2008, 02:00 PM
Haha, I like it. Who is gonna sing? :p

Rooster
11-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Haha, I like it. Who is gonna sing? :p

I'll try :P

Rooster
11-20-2008, 03:24 PM
The sound on this promo is not the best though, and guitars are not 100% fitting together (timing errors). But the demo sounds awesome so far, much harder than this, and the timing is perfect. I just don't want to ruin the surprise...

And your favorite part sounds even more epic in it, Randman :D I quickly decided that part should be the corus part.

The song is very Offspring-inspired though, but i like this style and sound so much. I tried to make my own riffs though, and didn't want to rip anyone off.

Stylie
11-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Oh man, that's so The Offspring. =P
Sounds good, gonna be cool to hear the final version!

...and you're gonna sing? Heh, interesting. *tihi* :D

Rooster
11-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Oh man, that's so The Offspring. =P
Sounds good, gonna be cool to hear the final version!

...and you're gonna sing? Heh, interesting. *tihi* :D

At least i'll try, if we see it wouldn't work well, then we'll probably get another to sing for the band.

Rooster
11-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that i have some new ideas for the song. But they have not been recorded yet. But i think that they'll make the song even more sick than it is now...

edit: this was my 1200th post since i joined in june? Holy feck, i spend waaay too much time up here...

Rooster
11-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Ok, i've decided to do a big thing now. I couldn't wayt any longer, and since the first guitar riffs for this song were put on this forum before i even had the band i thought it would be the right thing to let you know about the progress. I'm posting the demo version of Self-Destruction in its full length. I've decided to do that because i have other ideas for the song now, so this version is still just a beginning, basic version. I have some new kickass riffs for the song, but i still need to record them. The final length of the song will probably stay the same. It's still without bass or vocals.

Enjoy :)

http://www.archive.org/details/Self-destructionInstrumental

edit: i just realised that (apart from hearing the second guitar and drums) there is basically not much new for you in this part, since you've heard the whole first guitar part when i posted it in "making music thread" already...

randman21
11-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Well, I'm not at home right now, but I will definitely check it out when I get the chance!

Stylie
12-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Wow, this sounds so awesome!! Really cool, really cool... I can totally hear some Trust In You similarities here, heheh. As said, it's gonna be fun to see the final version!

Rooster
12-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Wow, this sounds so awesome!! Really cool, really cool... I can totally hear some Trust In You similarities here, heheh. As said, it's gonna be fun to see the final version!

Thanks. The second guitar during the chorus part (along the octave part) turned out to be very similar to Trust In You guitar part, but it fits in so well. But since the octave part serves as the main hook and because the second guitar chord progression during the chorus has been used many times by many bands already i think it's okay (and it's not exactly the same to Trust In You to be honest) to use it. The other similar riff to TIY (i think i don't have to point that one out, you know which one it is :D) is different enough i think, totally different chord progression. It just came to my mind, and only after some time i realised to what it sounds similar. Damn it's hard to invent something completely new in punk rock these days...

Anyway, the whole song is influenced by The Offspring a lot, but i can't help it, i like the sound of it so much, and that's what bands should do - play what they like.

Stylie
12-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks. The second guitar during the chorus part (along the octave part) turned out to be very similar to Trust In You guitar part, but it fits in so well. But since the octave part serves as the main hook and because the second guitar chord progression during the chorus has been used many times by many bands already i think it's okay (and it's not exactly the same to Trust In You to be honest) to use it. The other similar riff to TIY (i think i don't have to point that one out, you know which one it is :D) is different enough i think, totally different chord progression. It just came to my mind, and only after some time i realised to what it sounds similar. Damn it's hard to invent something completely new in punk rock these days...

Anyway, the whole song is influenced by The Offspring a lot, but i can't help it, i like the sound of it so much, and that's what bands should do - play what they like.

Yeah, I understand. It's absolutely not any negative sides that it's a bit similar to Trust in You. And yup, a band should play what they feel, of course. ^^

As I said to you, I also really like the "turn" in the end of the song when it sounds like the song gonna end, but it just keep pushing. nice one. think I wanna listen to it again!

Rooster
12-06-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I understand. It's absolutely not any negative sides that it's a bit similar to Trust in You. And yup, a band should play what they feel, of course. ^^

As I said to you, I also really like the "turn" in the end of the song when it sounds like the song gonna end, but it just keep pushing. nice one. think I wanna listen to it again!

Hehe, i listen to it all the time. I have it on my mp3 player and i listen to it every day when i walk to my university, and i try to think how the lyrics should go. So far, so good.

And whith the changes i'm planning it should be even better, angrier and more agressive while having the same tempo.

Funny thing, at the very beginning i thought this song would be used as a b-side, if it would be ever finished at all. I didn't meant to use it for my band.. Actually Randman is "guilty" that the song became what it is now, when he said he would like to steal it for his own band. That's when i thought "fuck, if everyone likes the guitar part, why not make it into a real song, if it really is that good, and use it when i form a band". So thank everyone (including Randman :D) for liking the first guitar part and therefore convincing me to make a song from it :D

randman21
12-06-2008, 06:42 PM
Hehe, no problem. I just wanted to see this song reach its full potential. :D

Now I won't steal it, but I can't wait to cover it!

Rooster
12-27-2008, 05:41 PM
I thought i should update you a bit with how things are going on in my band. Well, so far so good, drummer got equipment for recording, so we could record real demo songs pretty soon i think (well, self-destruction's lyrics are nearly completed, and i have the lyrics for another song already - just some corrections are needed to be done). We also have lyrics for another song (drummer wrote them), now i have to come up with a melody for it. Plus i have tons of new riffs. Yep, things are looking good.

Our style's developing to be grunge mixed with punk and some other influences also. I think the best way to sound a bit different than the others is if you mix more styles into your music. I don't care about genre, as long as the songs are good to me.

randman21
12-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the update. I've been wondering what's up with you guys.

I definitely agree about mixing different genres to create a different sound, although to me, some genres just shouldn't mix. I'm still trying to add something to my songwriting, but without someone to collaborate with, it's hard to do because I'm me and I can only think like...me, heh. I think right now, I'm just trying to only worry about 1) being as catchy as humanly possible and 2) having energy out the ass :P

What you're describing sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Rooster
01-31-2009, 09:00 AM
Ok, i'm updating you guys a bit. This is one of the songs i'm working on (for my band of course). It's untiteled yet.

What's interesting with this song is that it's way older than Self-Destruction, the riff is more than a year and a half old...

It's only a short bit, but enjoy it anyway.

edit: link removed

ad8
01-31-2009, 09:25 AM
That's a nice and catchy riff! I'm sure the entire song could be a real sing-along-hit once it's done:)

Rooster
02-01-2009, 03:40 AM
That's a nice and catchy riff! I'm sure the entire song could be a real sing-along-hit once it's done:)

Who knows, maybe it will be a hit. Hopefully you're right :D

Rooster
02-03-2009, 05:20 AM
Updating again, this time it's something completely new (randman, that's the riff i told you about :D). I didn't play it perfectly though. I have no idea how the rest of the song would sound like, i just had to record this riff, so that i don't forget how it goes...

randman21
02-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Ahh, I would need some rhythm guitar at least truly get the feel of this, but I like what I hear. It sounds nice and majestic, just the way I like it.

ad8
02-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Yeah, play this over some powerchords and you'll have nice and energetic punk rock:)

Rooster
02-06-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm updating you with some news.

We (the band) had another practice on thursday. It went great, and we tried how it would sound with vocals (we played some Social Distortion songs and Millionn Miles Away). Probably we'll have 2 vocalists (me and the second guitarist). This was our second practice, and there deffinitely was some progress since the first one, so i'm quite pleased :). We are slowly getting better and better.

No new riffs this time (but considering that i get new ideas constantly, something new might come up tomorrow, who knows) :D

Rooster
02-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Uploading something new again :)

This time it's not a fast or distorted riff, it's a part of probably the softest song i've done. It's not actually finished yet, i have only basic melody for it. What i'm uploading isn't the whole melody either - it stops right before a solo would kick in, but i don't have a solo yet, so...

I didn't use any distortion, so it sounds quite clean, but i did use some flanger effect, and it sounds pretty cool. I don't know what the influences for the song are, it just popped in my mind. Maybe a bit (but just a bit) of Nirvana influeces.

I hope you like it :)

edit: oh, and i fucked up a bit towards the end, because i almost dropped guitar pick *they dropped guitar picks to the floor, with Jim Dunlop-ish artwork on it* :p

Superdope
02-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Uploading something new again :)

This time it's not a fast or distorted riff, it's a part of probably the softest song i've done. It's not actually finished yet, i have only basic melody for it. What i'm uploading isn't the whole melody either - it stops right before a solo would kick in, but i don't have a solo yet, so...

I didn't use any distortion, so it sounds quite clean, but i did use some flanger effect, and it sounds pretty cool. I don't know what the influences for the song are, it just popped in my mind. Maybe a bit (but just a bit) of Nirvana influeces.

I hope you like it :)

http://rapidshare.com/files/195954361/new_song_clean_guitar.mp3.html

edit: oh, and i fucked up a bit towards the end, because i almost dropped guitar pick *they dropped guitar picks to the floor, with Jim Dunlop-ish artwork on it* :p

Loved it! dreamy and hazy stuff. let us know where you take it.

dff_punk
02-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Raptor, I like the new riffs! Can't wait until it's complete, I already see what the chord progression's gonna be in the first one :p

ad8
02-09-2009, 09:21 AM
seconded. Your songs have potential to become really great when they're done!

Rooster
02-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Well thank you guys for positive feedback :)

It feels a bit strange (but good) when you record something you like, you put some work and your soul in it, and then others like what they hear too.

I hope we would have some real demos soon.

randman21
02-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Badass. It reminds me of that one song by Collective Soul (something about "December"). This is the kind of thing I'd like to be more able to do, actual guitarwork, as opposed to power chords. Nice.:)

Rooster
02-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Badass. It reminds me of that one song by Collective Soul (something about "December"). This is the kind of thing I'd like to be more able to do, actual guitarwork, as opposed to power chords. Nice.:)

Thanks again man :)

This last song i posted is very easy to play actually, i barely have to move my hand on the neck. I don't think that much skills are needed to play this. But it doesn't matter, my primary goal is that something sounds good.

randman21
02-09-2009, 05:09 PM
But it doesn't matter, my primary goal is that something sounds good.
Yeah, this is why I never fret (pardon the pun) about doing power chords. I'm usually good at keeping it interesting.

And no problem. ;)

Superdope
02-10-2009, 07:04 AM
Here at last
We shall be free; the Almighty hath not built
Here for his envy, will not drive us hence:
Here we may reign secure, and in my choice
To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

Wait, what?

Rooster
02-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Here at last
We shall be free; the Almighty hath not built
Here for his envy, will not drive us hence:
Here we may reign secure, and in my choice
To reign is worth ambition though in Hell:
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

Wait, what?

Hehe, interesting 666th post :D

Superdope
02-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Hehe, interesting 666th post :D

Sorry about that outburst back there... it was...

as if something came over me...

Rooster
02-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Sorry about that outburst back there... it was...

as if something came over me...

Hehe, did you "print screen" the moment? You know, for the good memories :D

Superdope
02-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Hehe, did you "print screen" the moment? You know, for the good memories :D

I did actually! :P

now I have a picture saved on my harddrive entitled "Happy 666th!"

Rooster
02-13-2009, 02:59 AM
Goddammit, this thread had 1000 views untill this moment...

randman21
02-13-2009, 03:03 AM
Haha, it still says 1000. Maybe it'll update later.

Off topic, my thread and Static_Martyr's both have 163 replies. He has 4 times as many views, though :P

T-6005
02-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Yes, but his has been around a lot longer.

Free?
02-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Yes, but his has been around a lot longer.

Very wrong! You had noble intentions tho :p

"New song clean guitar" surprised me a bit, I was expecting some punky stuff, but it was more like alternative or maybe even metal riff. Depends on what will be the rest of the song. Pantera's Cemetery Gates' intro comes to mind.

Rooster
02-13-2009, 02:29 PM
"New song clean guitar" surprised me a bit, I was expecting some punky stuff, but it was more like alternative or maybe even metal riff. Depends on what will be the rest of the song. Pantera's Cemetery Gates' intro comes to mind.

I think it will be more like alternative rock/grunge song, possible with a desert rock inspired solo. At least this is how I picture it. My goal isn't to create only fast and melodic punk songs. I just get an idea, and if it seems good to me, I work on it more. Most of my songs are more punkier though. I think that if you create songs that don't all fit in the same genre it makes things interesting.

I'm mainly influenced by Social Distortion, Nirvana, QOTSA and KYUSS (to a certain degree, i have a few stoner rock ideas too), and of course The Offspring.

Rooster
02-14-2009, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=Raptor88;1255092]Updating again, this time it's something completely new (randman, that's the riff i told you about :D). I didn't play it perfectly though. I have no idea how the rest of the song would sound like, i just had to record this riff, so that i don't forget how it goes...

Allright, update again. The song that this riff is going to be in (used as the chorus part) is going to be titeled "Struggle Of Our Days" (the working title is this for now). The lyrics have been nearly finished. But the only thing i have recorded from this song so far is that riff, more will be added here in the future...

Rooster
02-15-2009, 05:21 AM
Struggle Of Our Days lyrics finished. But i'll post them when the whole song is completed and recorded.

But damn I love this song now :D

edit: by the way, i broke my record with this song, it was finished in the shortest time so far...

Rooster
02-26-2009, 06:24 PM
I've decided (the JN's thread about copyrights made me think) to remove the links to my songs/riffs for now. Don't worry though, i'll upload them again shortly, when they are protected. I've discussed this with the other band members, and they said it would not be a bad idea...

It's just a precaution. Probably they will be up again tomorrow.

edit: Self-Destruction link is up again, this time copyrighted (it's in the same post as the original link which was deleted)

edit2: up untill this moment, this thread had 1337 views :D

Rooster
03-19-2009, 05:19 AM
I'll probably re-upload those riffs today, and you can expect the new song Struggle Of Our Days to be uploaded here soon :)

Otherwise there are not much news, except from our two gigs. They went ok, we didn't practice enough, so we fucked up a few songs (i fucked up mainly because i was nervous :D). But we had a lot of fun anyway.

Rooster
03-20-2009, 03:04 PM
Ok, something new after a long time. Some of you wanted to know how the song would sound with rhytm guitar, and now you can hear it. The song is titeled "Struggle Of Our Days". This is only basic, the real demo will be recorded in future. It's yet without vocals.

Enjoy :)

http://www.archive.org/details/StruggleOfOurDays

ad8
03-20-2009, 03:26 PM
You did a good job there! The rhythym guitar is really powerful and the riff you showed us earlier fits in very good. I can imagine this being a real sing-along hit with the lyrics added to it. Keep it up!

randman21
03-20-2009, 04:07 PM
He strikes again! I have to reserve ultimate judgment for when I hear some vocals, but the riff is hot, the palm muting is extra nasty, just the way I like it.

Are using a drum program, or is that the actual drummer?

Rooster
03-20-2009, 04:29 PM
He strikes again! I have to reserve ultimate judgment for when I hear some vocals, but the riff is hot, the palm muting is extra nasty, just the way I like it.

Are using a drum program, or is that the actual drummer?

No, the drums are programmed, since it's only a basic version - so that everyone can learn their part at home. But our drummer is very good, so it won't be a problem when we'll get recording the real demo.

And if you think that this palm mutting is nasty, you should hear one of my faster riffs... Self-Destruction is slow compared to that one :D. lots of palm mutting, changes in strumming patterns,...

Thank you guys for the comments.

Free?
03-20-2009, 06:40 PM
I'd like to hear the final version of Struggle, with lyrics posted of course :P. It has potential.

ad8
03-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Struggle Of Our Days kinda grew on me:) I can't wait to hear the final version! By the way, what's the name of your band? In the first post in this thread you said that there was no name yet and I can't remember a post where you announced it. Guess I missed that.

Rooster
03-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Struggle Of Our Days kinda grew on me:) I can't wait to hear the final version! By the way, what's the name of your band? In the first post in this thread you said that there was no name yet and I can't remember a post where you announced it. Guess I missed that.

Well, we still don't have a name... but i guess we'll have to come up with it soon, we were talking about it :D

And the version i uploaded here is far from perfect, it has some mistakes - i fucked up the quiet part of it.

I have the repaired version, and it's better mixed, but still... no more Struggle uploads till the real demo.

Rooster
04-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Time for some news about how the things are going with my band.

Well, i decided i'll take things even more seriously. It looks like i'm more talented for writing songs than studying. I would like to finish my study also, but there are things that really piss you off and make you have doubts if you really could finish it, especially when you've studied for an exam like an asshole, really hard for a longer period before the exam, only to fail it because the stupid professor doesn't like you and wants you to know MORE than it's written in HIS OWN fucking book (he said we must know everything in that fucking book, but apparently we must know even more - and where the fuck can we find more information?) about the subject. And it seems even more strange that this time i actually had 10 points less than the previous time, but have actually written correct informations and 5 times as long answers than the last time (when i made up the answers, i didn't have a clue, but the result was still better). Oh well, we'll see how things will go.

Anyway, these days were harder for me again, and i realised that only music can get me up again. I'm working on two completely new songs (started yesterday), which are probably two of the most agressive and at the same time technical and melodic i've done so far. But i won't upload anything new, at least untill we have some real demo tracks, i don't want to ruin the surprise. Lyrics are coming up really fast lately, yesterday i wrote 3 different versions for the same song (only the chorus is the same, i'm still deciding which one to use).

Damn, i really want to make this right, to succeed. At least something in my life that i would and can do in the right way. If i fail this also, then fuck everything. But if we do succeed, i can't wait for touring around the Europe, and who knows, maybe even outside the Europe ;)

Sorry, i'm a bit pissed off, my family is going through hard times again (like there weren't enough hard times already), but that's just how it is...

Rooster
04-29-2009, 06:01 AM
Bumping this thread again.

No much news, besides i'm getting through really hard times again. But whenever there were hard times, i always managed to get back up, wether others helped me or not. So i'm used to it. All the shit i've been through only made me tougher.

I'm very productive lately, new lyrics are coming up at a high rate. It helps me a lot to get back up, i'm almost back to being myself. I wrote a very uplifting song, which i think will be a great live song, to sing along with fists in the air. It's about no matter how hard times are, you can't give up and let it go, you have to get back up and stand for yourself. A complete oposite of all the emo shit that's on the radio stations lately.

But still, no more uploads, at least until we have a real demo...

Rooster
05-14-2009, 05:37 AM
Time for an update again.

It looks like there will be some lineup changes in my band - our second guitarist told us he probably won't have the time in the future. So for now i'm the only guitarist in the band, we're looking for a second one.

Now better news. I continue to write new songs constantly, and Self-Destruction is finally almost finished - i finally managed to finish the lyrics, for some reason they were really a pain in the ass, i wasn't satisfied with them before. The final version of the song will be about a minute shorter than the version i uploaded - we figure out it would be too repetitive otherwise. Now it really kicks ass, it'll make even a bigger impact than longer version. Now we just have to practice it (we play it well already) and later record it.

Other than that, i was offered a position of a second guitarist in a ska-punk band (a friend of our drummer invited me) and i think i'll accept it, i just hope i'll have enough time for everything. They have 15 songs already, i'll just have to learn them. And i was also asked by another friend if i would like to form a project with him, we'd play stoner rock, at first KYUSS and QOTSA covers (we are both big fans), and i also accepted. So all of a sudden i'm in 3 bands - my own and two side projects (What the hell? i was looking for a band for ages, and now i'm in 3 bands in less than a year...). Yep, times are getting better indeed :)

Superdope
05-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Happy to see things are lighting up for you, bro. Just be careful that music doesn't become a source of stress for you. There's nothing worse than making it into a chore.

Rooster
05-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Happy to see things are lighting up for you, bro. Just be careful that music doesn't become a source of stress for you. There's nothing worse than making it into a chore.

Don't worry, that won't happen. I absolutely enjoy making music, writing songs, and i have tons of new ideas, i get new ideas all the time.

I already have some ideas for a song for the ska punk band i'm now playing in. I just hope there will be time for everything.

And now that Self-Destruction is practically finished i'm practicing it all the time (singing and playing at the same time), and i'm getting better and better... I have the feeling that Self-Destruction will end up being our first single. I don't care how good it would do on the radio, it's so powerfull that it has to be a single... I know it's a long shot, but i just feel so :D

Rooster
05-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Ok, now i have an important update.

If everything goes as planned, we'll record a few songs in july (about 7 or 8 songs). We'll start practising our material intensively now, whenever there will be time. We're planning to borrow some equipment for recording, and it'll probably be a two-day long session. We'll record it at the drummer's place at his home.

The songs we'll record are practically finished now, we only have to practise them. For me this won't be such a problem, as i'm the one who came up with most of them :)

Oh, Self-Destruction will be one of them, and Struggle of Our Days also. The others are secret for now :D

Then we'll probably practise more during the summer, depends on how much time we'll have, and in the fall we'll start with concerts around clubs, if everything goes as planned.

edit: i'm not sure about the amount of songs we'll record now anymore, maybe about 6 - better less songs (but still, 6 is quite a good number, at least for me, so i hope it'll go as planned), but put more work in them than more songs recorded badly. But even so, there is still a lot of work to do. My first band will be the priority, and i don't know for the rest - rather put more work into my main band, because i would really want us to make it, otherwise i'm worried it would be too much to handle. We'll see about the rest. I just wanted to keep you updated, because i know that some of you are interested in what we're doing.

edit2: all songs are nearly finished (7 songs), just minor things need to be fixed. and then intensive practising...