PDA

View Full Version : has dexter found religion?

siidflltwyd
11-21-2008, 01:09 AM
so, i just listened to trust in you. if that song isn't about god, i dont know what the fuck it's about. is dexter holland a fuckin bible thumper now? I mean he's getting kind of old (40's?) so maybe he's settling down or some shit like that.

if anybody knows what this song is actually about, let me know.

btw, siidflltwyd = sorry if i dont feel like living the way you do

Budzy
11-21-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm pretty sure Trust In You is about swallowing your pride and deciding to trust in someone.
I don't see where God comes in.

jacknife737
11-21-2008, 01:20 AM
I'm pretty sure Trust In You is about swallowing your pride and deciding to trust in someone.

Pretty much.

findout5
11-21-2008, 03:12 AM
Beg to differ! Not about swallowing your pride. It's about trusting someone inconditionally, and not knowing if it's the right thing to do, but still doing it anyway because that is what the human condition is all about. It's hard trusting someone when there's a good chance they'll let you down/break your heart/whatever like it has happened before. I really like that song.

Save the day by The Living End is about swallowing your pride to benefit others, about altruism. Not that has anyting to do with the topic, but your aussie, so you should like them! They rock!

Rutegard
11-21-2008, 03:13 AM
trust in you can be about anyone!!
but god?..well..never thought bout that one before, and it kinda makes sense to me, but i prefer thinking that it has to do with someone else..

randman21
11-21-2008, 03:16 AM
And even if he did start believing in God, how would that automatically make him a Bible thumper?

Plus, this most likely falls under "personal life of the band".

Budzy
11-21-2008, 03:25 AM
Beg to differ! Not about swallowing your pride. It's about trusting someone inconditionally, and not knowing if it's the right thing to do, but still doing it anyway because that is what the human condition is all about. It's hard trusting someone when there's a good chance they'll let you down/break your heart/whatever like it has happened before. I really like that song.

I disagree.
"I am the one, your help I’ve refused, your offering hand just set off the fuse"
He refused his help because of his pride.
"Too proud to beg, too stubborn to try, I’d look in your face and spit in your eye"
Too proud to beg.
"I am the one who wanders alone"
He usually operates alone, and doesn't accept the help of others.
"So I’m willing to change I’m going to try"
He's going to change his ways and trust in someone, because he knows he can't move on or overcome this obstacle without them- "Who tied the other end of my rope? I want to move on, I want to have hope"

SHAZZAM!
Well thats my opinion anyways. I'm pretty sure there's a thread explaining all this already.

Rutegard
11-21-2008, 03:26 AM
And even if he did start believing in God, how would that automatically make him a Bible thumper?

Plus, this most likely falls under "personal life of the band".

or because of the quoted bible in HH song... maybe he thinks that

randman21
11-21-2008, 03:29 AM
Heh, I completely forgot about that.

Budzy
11-21-2008, 03:52 AM
Oh yeah and I doubt it would be soley based on God and religion...
Isn't that the reason Mission From God never mad eit on an album, because they didn't wan to be seen as a religous band?

Rutegard
11-21-2008, 03:56 AM
Oh yeah and I doubt it would be soley based on God and religion...
Isn't that the reason Mission From God never mad eit on an album, because they didn't wan to be seen as a religous band?

as far as i know that is correct! so ppl wouldnt misinterpreted

Jojan
11-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Mission From God is awesome. Just makes fool of dumb religious people.

findout5
11-21-2008, 08:13 AM
I disagree.
"I am the one, your help I’ve refused, your offering hand just set off the fuse"
OK, I see it the same way - only it's not HIS, but SOMEONE.
"Too proud to beg, too stubborn to try, I’d look in your face and spit in your eye"
Too proud to beg.
Too proud to beg for something he wants to happen in a natural way, such as love and not in the way you interpret it."I am the one who wanders alone"
Not because he chose that way, because that is he way he is. Nothing to do with pride, but with life's circumstances, which made him suspicious of people's motives. Once you get hurt it's hard to trust.
He's going to change his ways and trust in someone, because he knows he can't move on or overcome this obstacle without them- "Who tied the other end of my rope? I want to move on, I want to have hope"
He wants to break free from solitude and wants to have blind faith in someone, but it's hard cuz he's been hurt before.

SHAZZAM!
Well thats my opinion anyways. I'm pretty sure there's a thread explaining all this already.

I answer above in BOLD. And I believe this a love song actually. I didn't want to be corny on the 1st post and say it, but it is. It's about knowing how good it feels to trust someone inconditionally, and trying to reach a level where you can do it again, despite being hurt.

Ps- No Living End comment, dude?? C'mon!

F@ BANKZ
11-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Let's sort this out.

The first time I heard this song I thought it was about God. Does it not strike anybody as being just a little over-the-top otherwise?

Evidence off the top of my head:
"Pull me up": Rapture / Plea for help
"I wanna move on I wanna have hope": Rapture / Plea for help
"Rock that pushes away": Jesus pushing the rock from the grave / Dexter trying to stay the same or stagnant despite influence..
"Blames only you": It seems more logical to blame God for things than any random caring person.
"Shadows and light", "Flame in my eye": Seem religious somehow.

"Wonders alone" is an interesting quote. The temptations of The Devil on Jesus in the desert (my memory isn't clear on this one.) is one farfetched interpretation that I came up with. Although, realistically, think if somebody wonders alone, they will leave most people that care for them behind. ‘Alone’ implies that they have completely rejected everybody, in this case, why would they open up completely to one person? Is it possible that they’re putting more faith in society? Or is that lack of faith what pushes them towards God? In light of this quotation, I can only see this song as being about Religion, one very close companion, or, less likely, society.

Musically it seems to strongly imply a religious side, although I cannot say why very easily. It has the same power as Hammerhead, on of the other songs from the record with various underlying meanings.

Trust In You itself could well be interpreted as being about the aberration to religion, but Dexter does not want ‘to pour his soul onto a record’, so he has left the song lyrically ambiguous. However, because he has implemented religious elements does not mean to that interpretation is correct. And of course, the song is not necessarily autobiographical. Another point is that many religious people do not fully trust God in all senses, and it is not one of the primary stipulations of western faith to do so, so even if he finds Trust, it does not mean he has found religion.

"Black roses and Hail Maries, can't bring back what's taken from me". An excerpt from one of the most introspective and severe Offspring songs, suggests that Dexter is Catholic. There is next to no evidence to suggest that he has 'found religion' though, piety often rekindles itself in times of hardship especially, times of mirth, or just spontaneously. Also there is no reason to believe that he was not religious before, a great many people are religious quietly.

Sorry if this repeated itself or rambled, but for me it’s too long to proof-read.

mrs_hollandova
11-21-2008, 09:38 AM
"Black roses and Hail Maries, can't bring back what's taken from me". An excerpt from one of the most introspective and severe Offspring songs, suggests that Dexter is Catholic.

HEHE if Dexter is catholic, then I am good in math and GOD knows Im not :D
I cant imagine him praying LOL

Little_Miss_1565
11-21-2008, 09:41 AM
so, i just listened to trust in you. if that song isn't about god, i dont know what the fuck it's about. is dexter holland a fuckin bible thumper now? I mean he's getting kind of old (40's?) so maybe he's settling down or some shit like that.

if anybody knows what this song is actually about, let me know.

LOL.

Even if it were about god, which I don't hear when I listen to the song, why would it matter?

F@ BANKZ
11-21-2008, 10:34 AM
HEHE if Dexter is catholic, then I am good in math and GOD knows Im not :D
I cant imagine him praying LOL

And yet you can imagine him asking God to let him trade? The vast majority of people in the world follow a religion.

Think about it, from the same song he says that his companion has been "pulled away before [their] time", in Trust In You he's calling "pull me up". You can be a Catholic without being overtly devout.

jacknife737
11-21-2008, 10:44 AM
The song's meaning may be ambiguous, but it's still quite a stretch to assume it's religious in nature. There is no blatant religious imagery/references used in the song.

_Lost_
11-21-2008, 10:51 AM
I can see what would make you think its a religious reference. But this song seems more to say, "I've been hurt before, so I'd rather hurt back than be hurt again. But I want to try to be strong enough to trust in you."

yeah... thats what i get from it. But then again, everyone finds their own meaning, and since this meaning would mean something to me, i like it.

randman21
11-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Like kablooey gonna find my groove now.

mat.kc.
11-21-2008, 11:01 AM
I thought Greg was the one who wrote 'Trust In You'.

Not to mention, I don't get a biblical feeling from the song at all, lyric wise. It's about being so down in the dumps that you just don't know if you can trust anyone again. You WANT to, but you just can't because of the shit that has hurt you in life. That's what I think it's about anyway.

findout5
11-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Dexter usually uses God references when he's writing in the first person as a psycho (aka - mission from god, special delivery), which makes me think he thinks that most psychos are usually religious.

Rutegard
11-21-2008, 11:55 AM
Dexter usually uses God references when he's writing in the first person as a psycho (aka - mission from god, special delivery), which makes me think he thinks that most psychos are usually religious.

and he's right

Camilamazed
11-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Just for the record.

The song says "I am the one who WANDERS alone."

Hmmmm

I am on the team of those who do not see God at all on the song. Trust in you is definitely about someone who has extreme difficult about trusting people again.

The other songs somehow proves it.

renato piquette
11-21-2008, 01:25 PM
i´m sure dex has been religious since the early days,anyways,i don´t see a religious theme in trust in you

F@ BANKZ
11-21-2008, 01:42 PM
The song's meaning may be ambiguous, but it's still quite a stretch to assume it's religious in nature. There is no blatant religious imagery/references used in the song.

It's an intelligent song. Dexter might quite possibly be trying to show that there is no real way of knowing whether God even exists by not being obvious; you have to believe unconditionally, you have to trust.

It's not just the ambiguity as a result of the lack of specifics, but the ambiguity of meaning of what is said. He isn't literally asking somebody to pull him up, so why should we assume that he's speaking in prose? The song was evidently designed to be ambiguous, to provide us with several meanings, if you just believe he is addressing one person then why wouldn't the song be more simple and less metaphorical?

Just listen to how powerful the song is, if it wasn't potentially addressed to God then it's just completely eccentric and ridiculous.

jacknife737
11-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Well, as i have stated, the song is quite ambiguous and up for interpretation.The song's focus may not be on who the person decides to "trust", be it a person/god/Batman; but rather the emotional journey that the song's protagonist must undergo to get to that point of trust. Thus the lyrics are more metaphorical then direct, as the subject matter is not as straight forward as it appears to be.

I just personally fail to see any connection between this song and God.

findout5
11-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Batman is God! Or at least God should be like him. I need sleep!

chicapowerpunk
11-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Maybe it's just a way of expressing their feelings toward the divine.
God is a symbol for people to go ahead, represents the faith.

Budzy
11-21-2008, 04:21 PM
I still don't see how it's got anything to do with God.

Dexter is probably sitting there laughing at us, "Hehehe, dumbfucks, I just wrote the song because it sounded cool". :D

holland25
11-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Right, so my opinion is right. This place had gone enormously downhill and stupid. I still can't get why I'm still here...

chicapowerpunk
11-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Damn! Would a punk has to be hard-hearted?
Would never have feelings of love, tenderness or joy?
It does not mean that the song is religious, can represent many things, a complaint, pain, indifference, we Think about it.
I put an example, the cancióm "gone away", refers to the loss of a being who wanted a lot, maybe you do not hurt them to lose their boyfriend or girlfriend, his father or his mother, a brother.
The phrase that refers to roses on the black birds and Mary, is a part that could mean, "The pleas, no good, because you're not going to return to this world."
It is a fact emotional.

iPunk247
11-21-2008, 06:44 PM
:confused: semi-religious or anti-religious ?? dexter's brain is one difficulty cookie to get hacked !! :eek:

Grimesy da Offspringfan
11-22-2008, 01:50 AM
Actually, Greg K wrote the song... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI3bMhKSfRA :rolleyes:

Rutegard
11-22-2008, 02:14 AM
I still don't see how it's got anything to do with God.

Dexter is probably sitting there laughing at us, "Hehehe, dumbfucks, I just wrote the song because it sounded cool". :D

let's grab a camera!
this whole discussion is kinda lame...why don't we all stay with our beliefs and next time u see dex ask him that. or maybe not :rolleyes:

mrs_hollandova
11-22-2008, 02:21 AM
let's grab a camera!
this whole discussion is kinda lame...why don't we all stay with our beliefs and next time u see dex ask him that. or maybe not :rolleyes:

Exactly!!! :cool:

F@ BANKZ
11-22-2008, 02:42 AM
Nodoby is saying it IS religious, just that it's a possible interpretation that Dexter implemented deliberately.

Jesus
11-24-2008, 05:15 AM
pff, the first part of the song is about handjobs, the second part is about misunderstanding the hunchback of notre dame while the final part is about being stuck in a world of warcraft quest.

dff_punk
11-24-2008, 05:18 AM
Thread: has dexter found religion?
Last reply: Jesus
priceless :D

Rutegard
11-24-2008, 09:40 AM

you again :)

Little_Miss_1565
11-24-2008, 12:20 PM
pff, the first part of the song is about handjobs, the second part is about misunderstanding the hunchback of notre dame while the final part is about being stuck in a world of warcraft quest.

Amen. Praise lord Jesus.

LOL.

SK8rocka
11-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Amen. Praise lord Jesus.

bahahahahhahaha

the Mota Boy
11-25-2008, 01:08 PM
And just what is wrong with hinting at religion?

jacknife737
11-25-2008, 01:24 PM
And just what is wrong with hinting at religion?

There is nothing inherently wrong with him doing so; however in this case, it seems to be a bit of a stretch (in my mind) to assume that the song is religious in nature.

randman21
11-25-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't think it's a stretch. I mean, the lyrics fit for the type of thing F@ Bankz was saying. You can do a song a song like that without being "Jesus/Obama '08". Lots of bands do it.

HOWEVER, I believe that it's definitely not that kind of song.

the Mota Boy
11-25-2008, 06:43 PM
There's truely no stretch at all. The lyrics speak planely about giving yourself up to trust in someone. That sounds a lot like someone coming to God in a time of need.

But I'm not saying that's what it is for sure because all the lyrics are generalized. I do think it's a cool concept.

I'm not pissed; it's just that it seems like nobody even wants to entertain the notion.

jacknife737
11-25-2008, 06:52 PM
The band has never used religion or God as subject matter for one of their songs*. In fact, Dexter has openly stated that the reason for excluding the song "Mission From God" from Ignition was that the band didn't want people to mis-interpret the song and assume the band were ultra-religious. The band's own history does not give credence to the theory that "Trust In You" is religious. One could just as easily claim that the song is about Dexter and Batman.

* I don't consider "Mission From God" to be religious, as the subject is about a fanatical individual, not religion itself.

randman21
11-25-2008, 07:09 PM
One could just as easily claim that the song is about Dexter and Batman.

Heh, funny you should say that because it's basically an extension of the point I was trying to make. It could very well be about Dexter and Batman, and it wouldn't necessarily be a stretch to believe that because there are no specifics. I'm really wasting my time, though, because I'm with you, just playing Devil's Advocate.

jacknife737
11-25-2008, 07:36 PM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/jacknife737/THEBATMAN9494.png 10 characters

IamSam
11-25-2008, 08:46 PM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/jacknife737/THEBATMAN9494.png 10 characters

I knew there was a reason we were friends.

the Mota Boy
11-27-2008, 11:18 PM

Lol! Did you make that yourself?

clocks_R_slow
11-28-2008, 07:18 AM

AGREED! i never once thought of GOD in this song... >.>

Skinny
11-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Agreed, I really don't see any connection with god in Trust In You.

F@ BANKZ
11-28-2008, 09:46 AM
There is nothing inherently wrong with him doing so; however in this case, it seems to be a bit of a stretch (in my mind) to assume that the song is religious in nature.
Wrong...

The band has never used religion or God as subject matter for one of their songs*. In fact, Dexter has openly stated that the reason for excluding the song "Mission From God" from Ignition was that the band didn't want people to mis-interpret the song and assume the band were ultra-religious. The band's own history does not give credence to the theory that "Trust In You" is religious. One could just as easily claim that the song is about Dexter and Batman.

* I don't consider "Mission From God" to be religious, as the subject is about a fanatical individual, not religion itself.
Also wrong...

I submit

Free?
11-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Damn, we could use jacknife's picture as an artwork for our covers album. If only I knew that before...

The_Bass
11-28-2008, 11:08 AM
I haven't read the whole topic, but has anyone stated that Trust in You has been written by Greg?

Tijs
11-28-2008, 11:16 AM
I haven't read the whole topic, but has anyone stated that Trust in You has been written by Greg?No one has. But that's probably because Greg didn't wrote Trust in You.

The_Bass
11-28-2008, 11:35 AM
I thought it was?

Tijs
11-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Well you thought wrong ;-)
Although the band did say that Greg wrote the song during the show in Paris, they said something like that before every song. If all of that was true, then the only song Dexter did wrote was Self Esteem. Pete would've written Come Out and Play and Oxygene would've written Beheaded.

Blastero
11-28-2008, 07:51 PM
It is technically possible that the song is religious, but I tend to doubt it. There isn't much in the song that makes that interpretation any more likely than any other. And I don't know, if all bets were really off and the Offspring were swallowing their pride and writing their first religious song, I'd think it'd be a bit more obvious.

As far as the band themselves go, I'm pretty sure Noodles is no God-fearing fellow, just judging by things he's said on this board specifically. Dexter, you never know. A lot of his songs are pretty morally-relativistic in nature, lyrically. If anything, I'd guess he's one of the many raised-religious, disillusioned and renounced his faith at an early age types.

Llamas
11-28-2008, 08:35 PM
That was about 16 years ago, though. What they thought then isn't likely the same as what they think now.

I think Trust In You is possibly about God, but it's equally likely about someone else. The Offspring has always used phrases and wording that sound somewhat religious, so that could be it.

Anyway, I hate the tone of the initial post, as thought it would be BAD if the song was about God. Are you going to think less of Dexter if he's religious?

Stylie
12-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Although the band did say that Greg wrote the song during the show in Paris, they said something like that before every song. If all of that was true, then the only song Dexter did wrote was Self Esteem. Pete would've written Come Out and Play and Oxygene would've written Beheaded.

Well, on that song, they seemed pretty "serious" and Greg waved with his hand like it was true. I know they're very much sarcastic all the time, and funny, but I actually thought this was true. :P

brothadave79
12-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Anyway, I hate the tone of the initial post, as thought it would be BAD if the song was about God. Are you going to think less of Dexter if he's religious?

Also, I'm somewhat annoyed by the title of the thread. It implies that Dexter had no religion to begin with, as if this was some sort of revelation on both his and the thread starter's part.

Budzy
12-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Well, on that song, they seemed pretty "serious" and Greg waved with his hand like it was true. I know they're very much sarcastic all the time, and funny, but I actually thought this was true. :P

Greg waved 'cos they know they're giving him shit.
But Greg will have his vengeance, be sure of that.

NGNM85
12-07-2008, 09:20 PM

I definitely wouldn't think better of him. Without going into a huge analysis, religion is fundamentally illogical, and there really isn't any benefit to irrationality.

danitanev
12-08-2008, 12:12 AM
I disagree.
Too proud to beg.
"I am the one who wanders alone"

SHAZZAM!

Yeah, I think you're right I like your explanation about the song! :D

Oxygene
12-08-2008, 05:56 AM
it's not about god

brothadave79
12-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I definitely wouldn't think better of him. Without going into a huge analysis, religion is fundamentally illogical, and there really isn't any benefit to irrationality.

Nor is there any benefit to oversimplifying part of the human condition. But I won't go into a huge analysis.

NGNM85
12-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Nor is there any benefit to oversimplifying part of the human condition. But I won't go into a huge analysis.

There are admittedly, some questions which science hasn't answered, how did the universe begin, for example, we can trace it back to the big bang, but theres' a lot there that still isn't understood, thats' a given, however, to assume, unequivocally, that our universe was created by an omnipotent supreme being and that that is the absolute truth with no legitimate evidence to support that conclusion is illogical, theres' no other way to see it. Religion is not a necessary compnant of the "human condition" we'd probably get along much better without it.

SweetTatyana
12-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Religion has certainly had horrific results in the past but I do not think it totally takes away the very positive affect it could have on an individual through spiritual/community connections. I have never felt any spiritual connection with any God myself and thus remain agnostic however, I do have friends who feel a very strong connection and commit their lives to spread happiness and help in his name (without preaching). So I mean, it does not necessarily have to be a bad thing as long as they do not attempt to force it on their neighbours or are intolerant of other people as a result. I do not think it is fair to judge someone on religious beliefs if they are tolerant, everyone has beliefs that do not fit the rules of logic.

Along with that, has anyone heard of Fred Phelps and Shirley Phelps-Roper? These are some of the individuals who help create the negative connitation on the title/opening.

SweetTatyana
12-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Ps. yeah, I really do not see Offspring writing a song about God, it really does not seem their style to me. I could see it being reflective on a relation between people because they have a few of those.