PDA

View Full Version : NOFX and their new album

Alex101
11-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Punknews.org (http://www.punknews.org/article/31354) reported yesterday that NOFX are now working on their next album with Bill Stevenson (who also produced their lastest album Wolves in Wolves' Clothing), and it's coming out in 2009. Any NOFX fans out here excited for the new album, and expect it to be as good as their past releases (like Punk in Drublic or White Trash, Two Heebs and a Bean)?

jacknife737
11-22-2008, 01:26 PM
I think they touched on some interesting stuff with their last release, especially We March to the Beat of Indifferent Drum. I hope they follow the same route with the new album. Bill Stevenson is producing and he usually knows how to make a solid album.

bighead384
11-22-2008, 01:32 PM
NOFX needs to try to expand on their sound, although I'm not too optimistic that that will happen. Although I must admit I really didn't listen to much of their latest album.

jacknife737
11-22-2008, 01:43 PM
NOFX needs to try to expand on their sound, although I'm not too optimistic that that will happen. Although I must admit I really didn't listen to much of their latest album.

Well, if your looking for a complete change from the traditional pop-punk/ska sound that the band has formulated over the last couple decades, i'd say no. But as i mentioned, there were a couple instances in their last album that definitely raised my eyebrows. They just need to get into the same mindset they were in when they wrote the Decline.

bighead384
11-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Well, if your looking for a complete change from the traditional pop-punk/ska sound that the band has formulated over the last couple decades, i'd say no. But as i mentioned, there were a couple instances in their last album that definitely raised my eyebrows. They just need to get into the same mindset they were in when they wrote the Decline.

That's true. Sometimes, if you put out something really inspired and just really good, it doesn't necessarily have to be ground breaking or experimental to be an awesome album.

medi01
11-22-2008, 02:46 PM
hopefully the new album will be good...i liked most of NOFX, but my fave 2 albums have gotta be the most recent 2.

SyLeS
11-22-2008, 03:01 PM
bad ass! i had no idea they were working on a new album, i cant wait! Besides Offspring, NOFX is probably my favorite band.

Alex101
11-22-2008, 08:50 PM
bad ass! i had no idea they were working on a new album, i cant wait! Besides Offspring, NOFX is probably my favorite band.
Yeah, I like NOFX too. And that's why I posted this thread here.

Apathy
11-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Mitch Clem had it right. I can't find the comic but it basically summarizes the truth about NOFX.

They pracitcally created a genre of music. At times they can be funny. At times they can be catchy. At times they can kick ass. At times their music is excellent.

But can you name one Album they've released that doesn't have a bad song on it? Chances are, No.

And the Decline doesn't count.

edit: http://www.mitchclem.com/nothingnice/195/

That being said- I think I love about 3-4 songs on every album, hate 2-3, and just skip the rest.

Blitzkrieg Bop
11-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Mitch Clem had it right. I can't find the comic but it basically summarizes the truth about NOFX.

They pracitcally created a genre of music. At times they can be funny. At times they can be catchy. At times they can kick ass. At times their music is excellent.

I quote this, cause I absolutely agree. I think it is fantastic news, thanks for the post Alex101.

dff_punk
11-23-2008, 11:09 AM
I am so fucking looking forward to this. It was about time. I hope they will not make an album with that much political-presidential-jesusland lyrics as the last two... an album like SLATFATS or Pump Up The Valuum would be soo much appreciated.

Smash punker
11-24-2008, 04:52 AM
I kinda wonder what their next albumīs gonna be about? :D

EMehl6
11-25-2008, 05:16 PM
I love NOFX, but they should really stick writing songs about goofy shit, like clams and they're lack of feelings, and flossing dead horses, and fucking your mom. When they try to get political, it tends to be very narrow-minded and stupid. The music is usually pretty awesome, luckily. I also hope they go with an album more like Pump Up The Valium. I wouldn't mind more, I guess "expansion" of their sound like they did with WIWC, but the whole political thing they tried to do sucked. The whole album was basically saying "Georgie Bush and religious folks is teh evilz. Down wif da evilz!" I really hope this next album doesn't follow that path, because then the lyrics will be like, "Yay, teh evilz be gonz!", and I would be very saddened/pissed lol.

bighead384
11-25-2008, 05:51 PM
The whole album was basically saying "Georgie Bush and religious folks is teh evilz. Down wif da evilz!" I really hope this next album doesn't follow that path, because then the lyrics will be like, "Yay, teh evilz be gonz!", and I would be very saddened/pissed lol.

This kind of got me thinking. The Bush administration was inspirational fuel for a lot of musicians, especially punk musicians. But I guess things won't be quite the same with a liberal Democrat in office. Not that that solves all the problems instantly, but it's definitely a reason to be a lot more optimistic. Could this significantly affect politically/socially conscious music? I really wouldn't know, Bush has been president for pretty much as long as I've had any real cultural consciousness.

jacknife737
11-25-2008, 06:11 PM
I can assure you that there was plenty of politically orientated punk music during the Clinton years. Bush may be gone, but there are still plenty of problems in the world. Although i doubt you'll see a "Rock Against Obama Vol 1".

Alex101
11-27-2008, 06:46 PM
I can assure you that there was plenty of politically orientated punk music during the Clinton years. Bush may be gone, but there are still plenty of problems in the world. Although i doubt you'll see a "Rock Against Obama Vol 1".

...but to me, It'd still be funny if a Rock Against Obama would exist...

Smash punker
11-29-2008, 04:07 PM
It will. With Offspring on it. :D

Llamas
11-29-2008, 04:56 PM
I like The Decline, as well as a few scattered songs by this band. Overall, I can not listen to their songs consecutively, though. I think I have most, if not all, of their albums (Heavy Petting Zoo, Pump up the Valuum, Punk in Drublic, Ribbed, So Long and Thanks For All the Shoes, The Decline, War on Errorism, White Trash, and 45 or 46 songs...)

But I get bored with them really quickly... even when I used to be really into pop punk, I could only listen to NOFX songs mixed in with other stuff. I'm not sure why that is... I think their sound gets repetitive.

If they do something cool like The Decline again, though, I'd check it out for sure.

NGNM85
11-30-2008, 12:30 AM
I'll pick it up, but I'm not expecting anything earthshattering. I find most of they're albums to be very hit or miss, like most bands, a couple of good songs and a few more I could just take or leave. "Greatest Songs Ever Written By Us" really covers most of they're best material, I feel it's pretty sufficient. I thought "Wolves in Wolves Clothing" was so-so, definitely inferior to say, "Punk in Drublic." I don't mind the political direction, thats' awesome, it's just the songs weren't that strong. I highly recommend "45 or 46 Songs.." it's got a lot of great rarities, covers and B-sides. The cover of Don McLean's "Vincent" is AWESOME, they do an interesting cover of the Germs' "Forming" but only for like, two verses which is too bad 'cause it sounds great, and a great cover of the Misfits' "Last Caress." The second disc is a little less promising, but I thought it was a really solid collection of material.

Smash punker
12-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Iīd like to see them at the show. :D

wheelchairman
12-01-2008, 08:02 AM
They're okay. I like them I guess. the Albums I own are kinda fun sometimes.

But you guys are overhyping a band. Creating a genre of music? Political geniuses?

The 2 albums I own are rather..exactly the same. (Heavy Petting Zoo and Pump Up the Valuum) I also own 45 or 46 but that doesn't count.

But hey I still like them. Don't think I'll buy any more of their albums.

When I was 14 and really into them, I had no idea what Two Heebs and a Bean meant. No idea whatsoever. It amuses me now that 8 years later and still on my first cup of coffee of the day have no problem understanding it. (And this is the the first time I even thought of that album until now.)

Alex101
12-03-2008, 04:24 PM
The 2 albums I own are rather..exactly the same. (Heavy Petting Zoo and Pump Up the Valuum) I also own 45 or 46 but that doesn't count.

What about S&M Airlines or Punk in Drublic? You don't those albums?

Llamas
12-03-2008, 05:04 PM
They're okay. I like them I guess. the Albums I own are kinda fun sometimes.

But you guys are overhyping a band. Creating a genre of music? Political geniuses?

But hey I still like them. Don't think I'll buy any more of their albums.

I agree on all accounts. Especially on the overhype and their albums sounding the same. They're almost as bad as Pennywise as far as sounding the same. Almost.

offspringer24
12-08-2008, 06:16 AM
nofx are a great band

my fave albums are

punk in drublic
heard they suck live
s + m airlines
white trash
so long and thanks for all the shoes

and the fucking decline is an incredible song

look forward to most there albums

there only really shit one was heavy petting zoo

Alex101
12-20-2008, 09:53 AM
nofx are a great band

my fave albums are

punk in drublic
heard they suck live
s + m airlines
white trash
so long and thanks for all the shoes

and the fucking decline is an incredible song

look forward to most there albums

there only really shit one was heavy petting zoo
You should also like Ribbed and White Trash, Two Heebs, and a Bean. They're both awesome!

Apathy
12-20-2008, 11:14 AM

What what?

methinks you skimmed the thread. They are not political geniuses on any level, and the only people who tend to think so are the teenage omgtrupunx kinda people. Most of the posts in the tread so far are saying that they hope they stray away from politics and stick to what they're good at.

And creating a genre of music wasn't my words, it was mitch clems (http://www.mitchclem.com/nothingnice/92/)

and I still stand by it either way. I cite them as a reason for many many shitty pop-punk bands that existed throughout the last ten years. But that definitely isn't overhyping, as my link points out, they really haven't put anything out that didn't have a few songs that just plain sucked, and a few more that were just boring.

Jakebert
12-20-2008, 05:24 PM
I used to love NOFX when I was younger in Jr. High, but I've more or less grown out of them.

I tried listening to them a few times recently, and sadly, they just don't do it for me anymore.

Also, I want to point out that when it comes to political lyrics, they might be the most obnoxiously hypocritical, self-important band I've heard in a long time.

IAmARevenant
12-24-2008, 12:56 PM
nofx desperately needs to stop writing political songs.

For one, their politics are ridiculous; two, they've taken themselves and their aforementioned flawed politics far too seriously. And truly, when they do a political song, it more often than not would come off as a silly parody of a political song, when the band is actually trying to be serious.

Eh, I don't care really. I've never been a big NOFX fan, though I've had NOFX phases; the only albums by them I really give a crap about are Punk in Drublic and SLATFATS.

Alex101
02-24-2009, 03:15 PM
According to Punknews.org (http://www.punknews.org/article/32473), NOFX just named their new album Coaster and it's coming out on April 28th of this year.

dff_punk
02-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Fucking awesome! Now this I will look forward to even more, then new Blink, Sum and Greenday albums. Pity only 12 songs, though, but I hope they will be all good :)

Bipolar Bear
02-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Their music is very average.

dff_punk
02-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Maybe to you :p But I do not want to start an argument, I am really happy for this new record, let us hope its not just a rumor. And the title "Coaster" perhaps promises more drinking songs and less political songs? People like me would appreciate that a lot! :)

Alex101
02-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Fucking awesome! Now this I will look forward to even more, then new Blink, Sum and Greenday albums. Pity only 12 songs, though, but I hope they will be all good :)
Ha ha ha! Yeah, 2009's gonna be the biggest year ever, with new releases from Blink, Sum 41, Green Day, Rancid, Social Distortion (though I doubt that it's coming soon), Queens of the Stone Age, Helmet, Sick of It All, and last but not least... NOFX.

RageAndLov
02-24-2009, 04:28 PM
I think Wolves In Wolves' Clothing is the best album since White Trash (not counting The Decline as an album). And if the same guy that produced the last album is goint to produce the new one, then it's good news for me.

I began to like NOFX when I heard The Decline, and I was hoping other songs would be like that one, but sadly only a few have that kind of seriousness and darkness. The last album was pretty dark/serious and I liked that.

NOFX is maybe the only poppunk band I can listen to. Everything is great about the band, the lyrics, the choice of being on an indie label and relatively underground, their ethics. The only hatch with them is the sound of the music on most of their songs.

jacknife737
02-24-2009, 07:01 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/61/COASTERNOFX.jpg

I'm pretty excited. I liked Wolves; but i think that Errorism is their best full-length. And as much as i "appreciate the honesty" i really wish they would stop with this "only giving 60%" stuff; they wrote the fucking Decline, they're more capable of writing above average music. Seriously, like "70%" would be an improvement.

bighead384
02-24-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm pretty excited. I liked Wolves; but i think that Errorism is their best full-length. And as much as i "appreciate the honesty" i really wish they would stop with this "only giving 60%" stuff; they wrote the fucking Decline, they're more capable of writing above average music. Seriously, like "70%" would be an improvement.

I could be wrong, but I remember that lyric, and I thought it was referring to how they're always intoxicated at their shows and they do just enough to get by.

jacknife737
02-24-2009, 08:00 PM
you could pretty much apply it to their last album. It had its moments of brilliance and then a bunch of songs that were ok, but nothing outstanding. It just seems as if there is no real motivation to keep trying to improve themselves musically.

dff_punk
02-25-2009, 03:42 AM
I gotta admit, the song "One Celled Creature" on their last album seemed totally filler-like and redundant to me. But overall it had plenty of great songs.

Alex101
02-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Check out the page for the new album, guys!

http://www.fatwreck.com/record/detail/737

jacknife737
03-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Tracklisting http://beta.punknews.org/article/32557

We Called It America
The Quitter
First Call
My Orphan Year
Blasphemy (The Victimless Crime)
Creeping Out Sara
Eddie, Bruce and Paul
Best God In Show
Suits and Ladders
The Agony of Victory
I Am an Alcoholic
One Million Coasters

Some interesting titles; "Creeping Out Sara" has me particularly intrigued.

dff_punk
03-04-2009, 04:31 AM
I Am An Alcoholic... maybe a sequel to I Wanna Be An Alcoholic??

RageAndLov
03-05-2009, 01:09 AM
I Am An Alcoholic... maybe a sequel to I Wanna Be An Alcoholic??

Where is that song released?
On a 7"?

zsk
03-05-2009, 11:12 AM
i'm looking forward to this album!
does anybody know,which song will be the new single?

dff_punk
03-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Where is that song released?
On a 7"?

I can't recall, but the video for it is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5xnsc-qPwA

RageAndLov
03-06-2009, 05:08 AM
I can't recall, but the video for it is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5xnsc-qPwA

Haha xD
"You guys seem to have fun" :p
I guess that is just something taken from the video 10 years of fucking up.

Tomasisko
03-06-2009, 06:27 AM
I haven't heard it yet. I Like old NOFX. Is there any chance I would like this new album?

jacknife737
03-06-2009, 06:43 AM
As far as I can tell, it hasn't leaked yet.

Tomasisko
03-06-2009, 07:03 AM
ohh I thought the album is out now... nevermind bad info :)

Outerspaceman21
03-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Looks cool. I'm kinda looking forward to that.

dff_punk
03-27-2009, 06:11 PM
A new song "The Quitter" is up on thier myspace (http://www.myspace.com/nofx).

I have to say, I like it pretty much.

jacknife737
03-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Pretty decent. I'm eagerly anticipating the rest of the album.

Outerspaceman21
03-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Hey, not bad. Now I'm looking forward to checking out the new album.

Free?
03-28-2009, 03:42 AM
A song about Smelly?

RageAndLov
03-28-2009, 04:05 PM
The Quitter have been played live for 6 months and have been on youtube :)

Alison
04-01-2009, 08:20 AM
I like the new song. Hopefully the album will be good.

i find that i love some of their songs, and think some sngs are shit.

Alex101
04-02-2009, 04:05 PM
The Quitter have been played live for 6 months and have been on youtube :)
Is there a link to the YouTube clip?

RageAndLov
04-03-2009, 03:08 AM
Is there a link to the YouTube clip?

Sure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrXo9mkuMU

Joyce
04-04-2009, 07:43 AM
The Quitter is a pretty cool song. and i can't wait the new record.. so i hope it will be kick ass:D

cool 2 hate 681
04-15-2009, 08:30 PM
they are playing a t mobile playgrounds show friday which i think will be shown here http://freecaster.tv/bmx/1007559/t-mobile-extreme-playgrounds-live

jacknife737
04-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Creeping Out Sara is an awesome tune, probably going to be one of my favorites from the new album.

bouncingcoles
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
you can hear 30 sec previews of the songs on amazon.com

dff_punk
04-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Link please? I cannot seem to find anything on amazon.

EDIT: Found "Creeping Out Sara", really very nice tune, I have a prediction the album is gonna be great!

RageAndLov
04-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Are there other than me who will order the LP from fatwreck.com? It cost like 10 bucks and a free CD of the album comes along with the vinyl. April 22nd is the last day to order it.

MasteR GunneR
04-17-2009, 10:51 AM
leaked!

We Called It America and The Quitter are rad.
Creeping Out Sara is also cool since it's about some local festival near my hometown.

medi01
04-17-2009, 11:15 AM
http://www.mediafire.com/?oxtg3mzwljf - the leak for those who can't wait (like me!) listening now:D

dff_punk
04-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Fuck yeah! At first listen, marvelous album!

dff_punk
04-18-2009, 07:30 AM
Well, after 4-5 listens, I can honestly say I love this album very much and the new Green Day release is probably not gonna top it. Overall, some people might notice that NOFX are writing perhaps slower and mellower songs each album, but maybe it's for the best and they still rock hard. What surprised me is a bigger amount of Hefe's guitar solos, and it's a very pleasant surprise.

1. We Called It America - Perfect album starter. Great classic NOFX guitar riffs and lyrics, and a "whoa-a-oh" in the chorus(Didn't they state that they hate "whoas" in another song? Or maybe we can consider it as self-parody). One of my faves, and prolly the catchiest song on the record imho.

2. The Quitter - Another very bouncy song that most of us have heard before. Typical NOFX riffs and an astonishing bassline by Fat Mike.

3. First Call - A mellower song, but still catchy. I kinda like the lyrics to this one. And I hear a "Bottles To The Ground" vibe here, too.

4. My Orphan Year - This one is the most classical fast-paced NOFX you can imagine, and at their best. And I love the lyrics to this one, Fat Mike is a poet.

5. Blasphemy - A catchy song. The "religious" lyrics don't suit me that much, but the music is great. The album overall seems the most melodic NOFX album, if you catch my drift. This song is a perfect representative.

6. Creeping Out Sara - A mellow song, with funny lyrics about Tegan and Sara. Very nice addition to this album.

7. Eddie, Bruce & Paul - Wow. This sounds a bit like an old NOFX song, showcases their musical skills greatly. Fast-paced, with a little bit of a hardrock vibe, and great musical shenanigans towards the end. Lyrics are interesting, too. I guess we all know, who Eddie, Bruce and Paul are :)

8. Best God In Show - "They don't play ska anymore"? Well, they certainly still play reggae-ish songs, hehe. Very nice twist to the album, the slowest and mellowest song of the album. And Hefe's trumpet isn't missing!

9. Suits And Ladders - At first I thought this song sounded in places too much like "Dinosaurs Will Die" but afterwards I learned that this is a completely different song. And how catchy and great it is, another one of my favorites. A lot of Melvin yelling, but doesn't bother me. Plus the "main guitar riff" is wonderful.

10. The Agony Of Victory - Classic catchy NOFX song, doesn't that much stand out from the album, but gotta love the lyrics!

11. I Am An Alcoholic - I almost blushed when I first heard this title. A little jazz-twist to this one, and also contains an anthemic sing-along "I can't cause I'm a drug abusing alcoholic". The lyrics are perhaps too familiar to me, and that's why lyrically this is my most favorite song from the album.

12. One Million Coaster - Perfect way to end an album. This is a classic NOFX album ender, just like "Heroiuana" or "Drop The World" for example. Fast-paced NOFX punk with a feeling of nostalgia mixed in. And very nice acoustic ending of the song is perfect as the last thing you hear on this album.

Did I say I love this album? Yes, I love this album. Now I think it's better than "Wolves", but don't know if it's better than older stuff. But it's still the "good old NOFX" we know and love. And that's the way it's gonna be. Best record of the year to me so far!

medi01
04-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Did I say I love this album? Yes, I love this album. Now I think it's better than "Wolves", but don't know if it's better than older stuff. But it's still the "good old NOFX" we know and love. And that's the way it's gonna be. Best record of the year to me so far!

gd review, however a dunno if i'm so keen on the album as whole, there are a few good tracks, and the quitter is sweet, but some are just a bit average for NOFX, i'm sure it'll grow on me more, but i dont rate it as high as wolves or the war on errorism

zsk
04-18-2009, 01:24 PM
that sounds soooo fucking awesome!!!! please listen to it!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1MXG98yanI

Outerspaceman21
04-18-2009, 02:43 PM
It leaked? Fat Mike is gonna be pissed.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm42/Outerspaceman21/20080929.gif

jacknife737
04-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Damnit dff_punk I was going to wait until i bought the record to listen to it, but your review has 'forced me' to down load the link. I'm really excited to hear it now.

dff_punk
04-18-2009, 04:27 PM
That's why when I waited for RAFRAG in this exact way to come out, I tried not to read even the reviews...

jacknife737
04-18-2009, 06:24 PM
That's why when I waited for RAFRAG in this exact way to come out, I tried not to read even the reviews...

Well i've started listening to it, but i'm trouble getting through the record since i keep hitting the repeat button after "We Call It America" finishes; it's soooo good.

dff_punk
04-19-2009, 03:34 AM
Yeah, I just realised I am in love with the intro-solo of that song, so great.

Rooster
04-19-2009, 05:15 AM
So far this seems like a really good album...

Stylie
04-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Link please? I cannot seem to find anything on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0023BOFEG

Well I don't know too much about NOFX, think I like some of their really few songs that I've heard, but not better than The Offspring (kabooooom!? xD). Seems like they...hum..can't make such catchy songs, it's just raw punk rock all the way. After listening through the preview on amazon, many songs seems like the same, if you guys know what I mean? But hey, as said, I really don't know too much about them, so I can't say much. Maybe I'm totally wrong too, maybe I'm gonna like 'em a lot.

Best God In Show - yeah! Haha. Always though reggae is something cool.

cool 2 hate 681
04-19-2009, 12:05 PM
they are playing a t mobile playgrounds show which i think will be shown here http://freecaster.tv/bmx/1007559/t-mobile-extreme-playgrounds-live

looks like this is on right now

dff_punk
04-19-2009, 12:08 PM
looks like this is on right now

When are they gonna play?

EDIT: 20:45 - 22:00 Concert: NOFX <-- european time.

cool 2 hate 681
04-19-2009, 12:13 PM
i think they will start within the hour because the bmx finals are on right now and that is right before nofx on the set times :)

MasteR GunneR
04-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Gotta love the Extreme Playgrounds =)

dff_punk
04-19-2009, 12:33 PM
He just said they will play in about 25 minutes! Yay! Gonna grab some beer soon.
I wonder how many songs from the new album they will play.

cool 2 hate 681
04-19-2009, 12:35 PM
i hope they play dinosaurs will die

dff_punk
04-19-2009, 01:02 PM
It started! Fat Mike looks he had a few too many of.. whatever :D

EDIT: Well they pull it off quite nicely.. immortal punks NOFX! No matter how wasted they are they still do a great show.

cool 2 hate 681
04-19-2009, 01:17 PM
lol that was pretty funny when he said you still got more hair then greg graffin

Free?
04-19-2009, 01:33 PM
The Separation Of Church And Skate! Woo!

cool 2 hate 681
04-19-2009, 01:52 PM
bottles to the ground was great

dff_punk
04-19-2009, 01:55 PM
"Dont try to play like Josh Freese!" :D

Free?
04-19-2009, 02:15 PM
They're pulling off a damn fun-fucking-tastic show! It's a shame I have video lags like every 10 seconds :mad: .
"Everyone is little bit a racist" musical is the definition of WIN :D.

cool 2 hate 681
04-19-2009, 02:27 PM
it's over now but great show by nofx

dff_punk
04-19-2009, 02:58 PM
The show was great, got a lot of laughs and a lot of unexpected surprises in the setlist. What surprised me they played a lot of reggae-ish songs, but I guess they are getting old to play only punkrock for an hour and a half.. :) Great show, anyway.

RageAndLov
04-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Like I did with RAFRAG, I will wait to listen to this album till I actually got it in my hands.

The show was great, got a lot of laughs and a lot of unexpected surprises in the setlist. What surprised me they played a lot of reggae-ish songs, but I guess they are getting old to play only punkrock for an hour and a half.. :) Great show, anyway.

I thought they were finish playing ska? Especially after they made the song We Don't Play Ska Anymore.

dff_punk
04-19-2009, 03:26 PM
They also made a song Kill All The White Man, and did you see them killing any white men?

Rooster
04-19-2009, 03:58 PM
They also made a song Kill All The White Man, and did you see them killing any white men?

Rofl. Just rofl.

:D

Outerspaceman21
04-19-2009, 03:59 PM

KILL ALL THE WHITE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fucking white people... ALWAYS OPPRESSING MY PEOPLE!!!

Free?
04-19-2009, 04:01 PM

True. But then again, they did a song "I am an alcoholic".

RageAndLov
04-19-2009, 04:04 PM

That song is sarcastic. Just like Don't Call Me White. The band has said several times in interviews that they hate ska now, and will never play it again.

dff_punk
04-19-2009, 04:08 PM
So okay, on a serious note, they might not play ska anymore, but they still play reggae. Those are two different genres(even if people often put them together).

Free?
04-19-2009, 04:08 PM
That song is sarcastic. Just like Don't Call Me White. The band has said several times in interviews that they hate ska now, and will never play it again.

Did they swear on the Holy Bible?

RageAndLov
04-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Did they swear on the Holy Bible?

No, they're atheists.

RageAndLov
04-19-2009, 04:30 PM
So okay, on a serious note, they might not play ska anymore, but they still play reggae. Those are two different genres(even if people often put them together).

Yes they are. What songs which were reggae-ish did they play?

dff_punk
04-19-2009, 04:48 PM
If I remember right: Eat The Meek, Kill All The White Man:), the reggae cover of Rancid's Radio and maybe some other song also which I don't remember.

RageAndLov
04-19-2009, 04:56 PM
If I remember right: Eat The Meek, Kill All The White Man:), the reggae cover of Rancid's Radio and maybe some other song also which I don't remember.

Yeah, okay :)

Outerspaceman21
04-19-2009, 05:37 PM
No, they're atheists.

They are not atheist. Fat Mike and Melvin are jewish.

jacknife737
04-19-2009, 08:29 PM
They are not atheist. Fat Mike and Melvin are jewish.

When Fat Mike refers to himself as "jewish" i think he's talking about the ethnicity part, rather then religious element. Based off a lot of the band's song subject matter and interviews Fat Mike has given over the past few years, i think it's safe to claim that he's an atheist.

Outerspaceman21
04-19-2009, 09:07 PM
When Fat Mike refers to himself as "jewish" i think he's talking about the ethnicity part, rather then religious element. Based off a lot of the band's song subject matter and interviews Fat Mike has given over the past few years, i think it's safe to claim that he's an atheist.

I'm not that quick to jugde a book by it's cover. Brett Gurewitz believes there is a god and he's one of the primary songwriters of Bad Religion.

Although hes the politcal half and Greg is one who writes all the slights against god...

Nevermind

RageAndLov
04-20-2009, 03:28 AM

That's right. I don't think a reious person would sing "I know the answer still I ask, where is your god now?" and other songs like Jesusland.
The jewish part explains the consistantly mockery of Jesus, though.

medi01
04-20-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm not that quick to jugde a book by it's cover. Brett Gurewitz believes there is a god and he's one of the primary songwriters of Bad Religion.

just listen to "you're wrong" off 'They've Actually Gotten Worse Live!'. you can't say he's not athiest after listening to it

Free?
04-20-2009, 11:40 AM
The new album kicks some major ass!

Outerspaceman21
04-20-2009, 11:44 AM
just listen to "you're wrong" off 'They've Actually Gotten Worse Live!'. you can't say he's not athiest after listening to it

Yeah, still. Eh, who cares?

zsk
05-01-2009, 02:52 PM
I think it's their best album!
let's do a review of the album!!!!

RageAndLov
05-06-2009, 11:10 AM
I heard Coaster today for the first time (cuz i waited till i had it in my hands, unlike you impatient people :p), and I liked it. We Called It America isn't the best song though. I think The Quitter or Blasphemy is the best ones.

It was in the same direction as Wolves In Wolves Clothing, and since I liked that album, that is a good thing :)

Do anyone know about Fat Mike's relationship to his parents. I didn't know they died in 2006, and how he felt about his father. It was heartbreaking to hear that song.

The lyrics of Blasphemy was btw fucking great! Fat Mike is an expert to mock christianity. This verse made me laugh a lot:
"Anything that is your holy or sacred
I’m gonna desecrate and use in jest
But you’ll never hear a crack about Mohammed
Cuz I don’t wanna get shot in the chest
Blasphemy, isn’t this fun
Rob a rabbi, bugger a nun
Blasphemy, want some more?
Mother Mary, the virgin whore "

I went to punknews.org to see a review of the album, but there were none, so I just wrote one myself and sent it to the editors of the site.

SyLeS
05-09-2009, 12:14 PM
I just got the CD a few days ago (but i listened to like all the songs on youtube because im impatient :))

The only problem i really have with it is how fucking short it is, its only like a half-hour long, and there's only 12 songs on it! Which isn't that much for a NOFX album.

Its a great album, but like any other NOFX CD it has its ups and downs. It has some amazing songs on it like Blasphemy, Eddie Bruce and Paul (my personal favorite), My Orphan Year, and I Am An Alcoholic. But also it also has songs like Best God in Show, and First Call, which don't really do anything for me.

Overall, i think this is an Amazing CD and is probably my favorite NOFX album since Heavy Petting Zoo (if you don't include the Decline). Id recommend it for any fan out there.

RageAndLov
05-31-2009, 01:30 PM
The leads are weak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQaZWL8uxtQ

dff_punk
05-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Haha, I totally imagine that lead guitar after that :)

Free?
05-31-2009, 01:34 PM
I was creeping out on Sara. Or maybe it was Tegan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XqCLBg1IYE

RageAndLov
05-31-2009, 02:00 PM
I think it was her, because someone said she was the cooler one.
They sound like two smurf twins.