PDA

View Full Version : Underappreciated Offspring Songs

Skinny
11-28-2008, 09:25 AM
This thread is a place to discuss song by The Offspring that don't always get the credit that they deserve.

I'll start it off with The End Of The Line, which is one of the best songs on Americana. It's about dealing with death and loss, the lyrics have meaning and purpose, but is often forgotten because of Americana's other more popular songs (The Kids Aren't Alright, WDYGAJ, and Pretty Fly (For a White Guy) I think this song doesn't get the credit that is due, what does everyone else think?

F@ BANKZ
11-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Out On Patrol.

Kennytar
11-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Oh I strongly agree, Skinny, I just love End of the Line. Here the Offspring became popular with Americana and so the hits are very well known.

Gustavo
11-28-2008, 10:00 AM
This thread is a place to discuss song by The Offspring that don't always get the credit that they deserve.

I'll start it off with The End Of The Line, which is one of the best songs on Americana. It's about dealing with death and loss, the lyrics have meaning and purpose, but is often forgotten because of Americana's other more popular songs (The Kids Aren't Alright, WDYGAJ, and Pretty Fly (For a White Guy) I think this song doesn't get the credit that is due, what does everyone else think?

I swear to God that the moment I read this sentence "This thread is a place to discuss song by The Offspring that don't always get the credit that they deserve.", I thought of The End Of The Line. :P
Before I even have seen that you mentioned The End Of The Line.

Anyway, The End Of The Line... and Lightning Rod.
I really do think they should play Lightning Rod and The End Of The Line (Specially The End Of The Line, which happens to be my favorite song of all time)

holland25
11-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Not the One. Simply perfect.

MasteR GunneR
11-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Out On Patrol.
/agree

time to end the discussion.

Free?
11-28-2008, 10:10 AM
How many times this thread was re-created? :)
If you're a decent fan, there will be no underappreciated songs, that's what I believe. And I don't care much about how Original Prankster is much more popular than A Thousand Days amongst casual fans and the rest.

danitanev
11-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi, there! I totally agree! The End Of The Line is f***ing great song with great lyrics I like it a lot! :D

Moose
11-28-2008, 10:49 AM

i agree...always thought it was underrated.

i like end of the line, but really, it is what it is, it isnt underrated.

also...someone said "americana is what made the offspring famous..."

...that was smash...and then ixnay brought them back down to earth a bit, and americana brought them back...much like with green day and dookie, then nimrod, then warning...the difference is americana was much bigger than warning, but american idiot was much bigger than americana (in terms of perception)

anyhow...you'd have to look at earlier stuff on ignition and the self-titled, as well as ixnay...those albums have a lot of underrated songs.

...you can probably throw some americana stuff on there like have you ever, staring at the sun, pay the man (written during ixnay tho)...

...i dont feel as if lightning rod is underrated, i feel more as if it is another track with a good idea, but wasnt as well executed as it could have been...like a lot of splinter i suppose.

...i feel like americana has a lot of great tracks, but a lot of bad tracks as well...

...conspiracy of one is solid, but nothing on that album is great, but nothing on it is awful.

...splinter has a couple of real good tracks, but really, comes up short a lot of the times.

the self-titled is raw but good...ignition, smash, and ixnay are great with ixnay being the most underrated album (ignoring ignition's low media outlets at the time)

Cock Joke
11-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Just everything on Self-Titled & Ignition.

ad8
11-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Pretty much what the other posts say(End Of The Line, Out On Patrol, Not The One) + Amazed.

Kennytar
11-28-2008, 01:28 PM
also...someone said "americana is what made the offspring famous..."

the self-titled is raw but good...ignition, smash, and ixnay are great with ixnay being the most underrated album (ignoring ignition's low media outlets at the time)

If you mean my post, then I meant that Offspring got famous HERE (read: Estonia) with Americana.

I agree, with what you said about Ixnay. It has only really great songs!

randman21
11-28-2008, 01:28 PM
I guess I agree with End of the Line. I've literally forgotten about that song, although it's one of their best, period. I wouldn't agree with Out on Patrol. It's beyond awesome, but it seems to get a lot of respect around here.

I think Something to Believe In, It'll Be a Long Time, and Not the One are the most underrated. I also throw in Leave it Behind, Denial, Revisited, and Da Hui.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
11-28-2008, 02:04 PM
The End Of The Line is a perfect example. Then, Dammit I Changed Again, and most songs on Splinter (yep :o)

Trek
11-28-2008, 02:45 PM
The End of the line , the first thign that popped in to my head too btw. And maybe autonomy.

findout5
11-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Autonomy is a Buzzcocks cover.
I'm not too crazy about The End Of The Line...does have great lyrics but it's sung without any emotion (I'm gonna get killed for saying this, but that's how I feel!). The best part of the song for me is the crazy guitar sounds on the bridge (those delayed/panned sounds).
Gone Away sounds like it's meant, TEOFL sounds forced. Sorry!

I think Leave it Behind is a great song the band never plays. They neglect it!

As far as the general public goes, I really think that Hit That could have been huge with a proper video.

Living in Chaos
11-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Tehran and Out On Patrol.

cool 2 hate 681
11-28-2008, 05:19 PM

yes this is true^ one of the great songs that never got played live

the Mota Boy
11-28-2008, 09:11 PM
I was just thinking about a topic like this earlier as I was driving on a country road listening to Conspiracy. I totally forgot how unbelievably awsome Living in Chaos is. Anyways, this is fun. Let's make a list!

They aren't in any particular order.

Something to Believe In
Me and My Old Lady
Change the World
End of the Line
Special Delivery
Vultures
Living in Chaos
(Hell... every song on CO1)
Lightning Rod
Noose
Race Against Myself

nameless
11-28-2008, 09:15 PM
end of the line, i wish they would play it live sometimes!

Smash_Returns
11-28-2008, 09:33 PM
much like with green day and dookie, then nimrod, then warning...the difference is americana was much bigger than warning, but american idiot was much bigger than americana (in terms of perception)

How could you forget Insomniac. Insomniac is the best GD album (IMO)

Also, Nimrod was bigger than Warning. Who hasn't heard Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) 3,583 times?

The GD/Offspring albums comparison chart is:

39/Smooth = Self-Titled
Kerplunk = Ignition
Dookie = Smash
Insomniac = Ixnay
Nimrod = Americana
Warning = (CO1 and Splinter don't really fit here, but RAFRAG kinda does)
American Idiot = (The Offspring hasn't done anything as cheesy as this yet)

And while I don't hate American Idiot for the music, I hate it for two other things:

1. The new fans it made. Shitloads of pre-adolescent children who thought it was Green Day's debut, even though they are a multi-platinum artist with a freakin' 21 song greatest hits out before this album. And they weren't minor hits either. They were freakin' huge. It would be like claiming Chinese Democracy to be GnR's debut.

2. Bullet In A Bible. This is the other thing that pissed me off. The fact that it was so cheesily done, and filmed in the UK, really beat it to the ground.

Pranksta
11-28-2008, 09:57 PM
Warning = (CO1 and Splinter don't really fit here, but RAFRAG kinda does)

Actually, I think CO1 fits perfectly with Warning. They both came out around the same time and achieved about the same level of popularity.
You also left out the greatest hits comparison (although Offspring'gs came out much later than Green Day's).

Back on topic, aside from the Self Titled and Ignition songs, pretty much most of the songs from other albums that are not singles and don't get played live are underrated. More specifically:

Something to Believe In
Leave It Behind
Amazed
Come Out Swinging

SK8rocka
11-28-2008, 10:21 PM
yeah i agree totaly with end of the line.

Budzy
11-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Definetly End of The Line, the last chorus is fucking epic.

Also No Brakes, one of my favourite songs ever.
Just the way Dexter sings 'Lay awake, I don't give shit, if i even ever wake up in the morning!', the songs got attitude.

and It'll Be A Long Time.

KHWHD
11-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Denial, Revisited.

Desperado
11-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Original Prankster.

Their best song.

Marco
11-30-2008, 12:52 AM
Denial, Revisited

chriiis
11-30-2008, 07:44 AM
The End Of The Line, obviously.

Skinny
12-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Some people have said Something To Believe In and I strongly agree. It's one of my favourite songs, and my definate favourite from Smash.

ernesto88
12-03-2008, 02:49 AM
denial, revisited,
defy you,
amazed,
Vultures
Living in Chaos,
Out On Patrol

Camilamazed
12-03-2008, 05:06 AM
I do agree that the end of the line deserves way more attention. However, I've been thinking and listening to Leave it behind a lot which is a son I rarely see people talking about.

Sometimes I wonder why.

Ninty Man
12-03-2008, 07:59 AM
I do agree that the end of the line deserves way more attention. However, I've been thinking and listening to Leave it behind a lot which is a son I rarely see people talking about.

Sometimes I wonder why.

Cause is a -good- filler.

Why nobody talks about let's hear it from the rock bottom??? Is a funny song to play, and is kinda cool.

T_immortal
12-03-2008, 08:18 AM
I find that a really overlooked song is "Amazed" either that or people just don't care for it. One of my personal faves though :)

killboybowerhead
12-03-2008, 09:54 AM
I agree with all the songs you guys have been saying.. but I really think this one is underrated too (this might be funny to some of you)

She's Got Issues. I really think it is a bad ass song.

brothadave79
12-03-2008, 10:15 AM
I think a lot of fans underrate Hit That. Very catchy, well-structured song. Definitely one of my favorites.

Rutegard
12-03-2008, 10:16 AM
crossroads for sure

Blitzkrieg Bop
12-03-2008, 11:11 AM

I quote this for sure. Another song is Nothing From Something.