PDA

View Full Version : For how long did you go owning Americana without listening to Pay the Man?

Jojan
12-01-2008, 01:02 PM
For how long did you go owning Americana without listening fully to Pay the Man?

I think I went over a year, or close to a year. Damn. I was like "What the hell, I have nothing better to do. It might be funny.".

Blitzkrieg Bop
12-01-2008, 01:05 PM
I can see where you are coming from ... It took me a while as well, but now I absolutely love the song.

findout5
12-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Loved it from day 1.
Soe people don't like to broaden their musical tastes...I actually like prog rock! I'd love to see them do more of that!

Redjie
12-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Since I own it? Sincerely, I have no idea.

Desperado
12-01-2008, 01:27 PM
I never bothered to listen to the entire song until a good while later. My attention span was a lot lower back then, so the first part bored me. I now consider it their greatest song ever.

_Lost_
12-01-2008, 01:28 PM
I always listen to albums from beginning to end when i first get them... several times... I've loved that song since i first listened to americana... back in 1999! ZOMG! I FEEL OLD!

Jesus
12-01-2008, 01:36 PM
I always listen to albums from beginning to end when i first get them... several times... I've loved that song since i first listened to americana... back in 1999! ZOMG! I FEEL OLD!

http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/toooldfb8.jpg

findout5
12-01-2008, 01:37 PM

You feel old? I'm balding! Beat that! LOL

_Lost_
12-01-2008, 01:39 PM
hehe. thankfully male pattern baldness doesn't run in my family.

that was a joke.

dr.vanessa
12-01-2008, 01:47 PM
When I bought it I listened to the whole album.

jacknife737
12-01-2008, 02:15 PM
I never bothered to listen to the entire song until a good while later. My attention span was a lot lower back then, so the first part bored me. I now consider it their greatest song ever.

More or less my situation exactly. Americana was one of the first cds that i owned, outside of a couple Much Music comps and like Aqua and Prozzak (my god, the nostalgia!); anyways, like you said back then i had a very short attention span, thus i was probably like "omg, this song is gay" and went back listening to Have You Ever.

Ansem
12-01-2008, 02:16 PM
I think it's their best song actually.

_Lost_
12-01-2008, 02:20 PM
anyways, like you said back then i had a very short attention span, thus i was probably like "omg, this song is gay" and went back listening to Have You Ever.

i grew up with metal heads for parents. this was never really a problem for me.

jacknife737
12-01-2008, 02:55 PM
i grew up with metal heads for parents. this was never really a problem for me.

For the longest time (and i still think this way, to an extent), that if you couldn't say something in under three minutes, you couldn't say it at all.

_Lost_
12-01-2008, 03:02 PM
For the longest time (and i still think this way, to an extent), that if you couldn't say something in under three minutes, you couldn't say it at all.

when you've got a 10 minute song... it really becomes more about the music than the lyrics.

edit: but more often than not, i kind of tune out after about 4 and a half minutes and don't start paying attention again till the song changes. it makes good background music for doing homework that way.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
12-01-2008, 03:03 PM
about 5 mins

bouncingcoles
12-01-2008, 03:44 PM
its my favorite song, and its their most musically impressive song too.

Cock Joke
12-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Several months.

F@ BANKZ
12-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Quite a long time, maybe 3 months after becoming able to recite the rest of the album. One of the best days of my life? Almost certainly, yes. Then again that was also the day when I successfully killed two birds with a single throw of a stone.

chicapowerpunk
12-01-2008, 04:35 PM
The album is fun, brazen, the most pop for my taste.
My favorite song of Americana are: "Have You Ever," "Pretty Fly (for a white guy)" I find it very funny.
"Pay The Man" also.

SK8rocka
12-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Omg when i got this album i was like, OMG PRETTY FLY!, that was when i was about 9, lolcat! hahahaha

yeah i had cds burnt, (ahhh the days of co1, smash and amercana lol) haha yeah and liek i only listened to pretty fly, original prankster and come out and play, i also had dookie repeating when i come around over and over and eventally going back to americana hehehe (least i knew what punk was kinda...). yeah it wasnt untill i was 13 that i started to actually discover what punk was and stuff.

oh and i hasnt listenez to pay the man for liek 3 weeks now, (i drum to it alot)
im gonna go listen to it.

all8

_Lost_
12-01-2008, 05:01 PM
yeah it wasnt untill i was 13 that i started to actually discover what punk was and stuff.

you are so young joel. i was in highschool when you started listening to the offspring.... :(

randman21
12-01-2008, 07:00 PM
you are so young joel. i was in highschool when you started listening to the offspring.... :(
Hahaha, you're starting to sound like me with the "I'm old" thing. What was I, like, drinking age when he was 13? I don't know how old you are, Joel.

Anyway, I had it for almost 5 years before I listened to it. I wasn't a big Offy fan then, so I only ever listened to the big 2. Then, while playing Final Fantasy X, I got the big idea to listen to music while I level up to make it less tedious. I figured I'd give it a try since I'd probably end up liking it, and it instantly blew me away. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. It was crazy. My attention span wasn't normally long enough to make it ten minutes, so I thought the song put a spell on me to make me patient. I still got my ass kicked by Marlboro, but I didn't mind. That was when the Offspring became my favorite band.

_Lost_
12-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Hahaha, you're starting to sound like me with the "I'm old" thing. What was I, like, drinking age when he was 13? I don't know how old you are, Joel.

lol yep. and it just seems strange that i was 15 when i joined these boards and that feels like a century ago to me. that, and he was barely alive when they hit it big. i remember hearing them on the radio when coap made it to this part of the country. and shut up! i'm not old and i don't want to sound that way!

SK8rocka
12-01-2008, 10:17 PM
lol im 14, hahahaha, and your NOT old people, im simply young haha!

yeah but i really go into offspring liek last year, (13) errrrr yeah thats when i started playing guitar, and now im starting to like metallica and stuff, (but omg i will never listen to emo, or death metal, only thrash metal and rockish metallica lol)

hahaha

bighead384
12-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Hahaha. Funny thread. I went a while without really listening to it as well. I was young and didn't have the patience to hear a song with no words for 3 minutes.

Hypno Toad
12-02-2008, 12:14 AM

I was 3-4 when I started listening to the offspring :D

Back in the good ole days when ignition and bad habit were playing in the car, my dad used to listen to them back then...

At any rate, Pay the Man is one of my favorite offspring songs, and I listened to it as the third song. It's a great song.

Stylie
12-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Soe people don't like to broaden their musical tastes...I actually like prog rock! I'd love to see them do more of that!

Exactly! This is not typical Offspring music, but I really, really like it! I would love to hear more music like this from them, like having one or a couple songs on each album. I'm absolutely sure that they're good enough to make some really interesting longer songs, progressive rock.

Llamas
12-02-2008, 01:19 AM
Loved it from day 1.

Mmmm it's a great song, but it's not prog rock.

I listened to it right away. I always liked that song.

Autonomist
12-02-2008, 01:26 AM
The length of the songs preceeding it. Maybe less, as I probably would've skipped through Pretty Fly.

cool 2 hate 681
12-02-2008, 01:29 AM
it took 2 years for me

darea
12-02-2008, 03:09 AM
I bought Americana as soon as it came out, and the two songs I listened to the most were "Have you ever" and "Pay the man" (and the the others were The kids arent alright and the end of the line) so anyway, I listened to pay the man straight away cause I thought it was a great song! And I listened to it even more because I thought the beginning of the song seemed so different from the offspring music I was used to. A bit like when I first heard Smash it up on Batman Forever, and the singing seemed so different from the songs in "Smash" that my sister kept arguying about "its the offspring", and my sister "no its not" and so on.

I wasn't even in highschool when americana came out... I was in the what we call "collège" in france, which is before highschool. So a year before highschool, not that it matters.

KyleW
12-02-2008, 04:15 AM
Haha, really good thread idea.

I THINK I listened to it when I first bought the album but I can't really remember how it ends.... or when it ends for that matter.

Budzy
12-02-2008, 06:16 AM
Hahahaha. Funny thread.
Seriously for me about maybe 18 months after i bought it lol.

drummerbecca
12-02-2008, 06:21 AM
The day I got the album, I listened to it right the way through at least half a dozen times in a row. Pay the Man stood out for me the first time I heard it, it's still my favourite song on Americana, and definitely in my top 6 Offspring songs :)