PDA

View Full Version : Hillary Clinton will become a minister

ad8
12-04-2008, 06:36 AM
So... some days ago I heard that Hillary Clinton will be foreign minister(or how it's called) of the USA under Obama. Has this been discussed here yet? If not, how do you guys think about it?

Hypno Toad
12-04-2008, 07:20 PM
A few days ago I heard that Obama was thinking about making her a foreign minister.

Apathy
12-04-2008, 07:29 PM
If you're talking about her becoming Secretary of State, you're late. It was announced a while ago, and she accepted a few days ago.

Which would kind of be the opposite of a foreign minister, and I kind of doubt she would be taking on the role of Secretary of State and becoming an ambassador.

But I haven't actually watched the news lately. Maybe you're right and I'm behind the times.

jacknife737
12-04-2008, 07:40 PM
She's as good as choice as any; I was hoping/expecting Obama would select Bill Richardson, but i've always liked Hillary Clinton as well.

Which would kind of be the opposite of a foreign minister, and I kind of doubt she would be taking on the role of Secretary of State and becoming an ambassador.

A foreign minister, isn't an ambassador; they oversee a countries international relations (if that's what you're insinuating).

Little_Miss_1565
12-04-2008, 07:45 PM
The Secretary of State is the chief diplomat. So kind of like an ambassador, but not.

wheelchairman
12-04-2008, 11:39 PM
The secretary of state is the American equivalent of the foreign ministry.

Mota Boy
12-05-2008, 12:47 AM
If you're talking about her becoming Secretary of State, you're late. It was announced a while ago, and she accepted a few days ago.It was announced when accepted. It was speculated upon many days afore. There is a lot I can say about it, but I have neither the time nor inclination at the moment, so I'll just say that I, in the purest sense of the term, will be waylaying my judgment on the decision for, at the least, a year. I believe there will, at a minimum, two narratives running: 1) things are running as planned and 2) the Clintons are being "The Clintons" [the tabloid-enhanced self-parodies]. It will take some time to sort out which is which (or, in what I'm guessing will be the most "real" that we'll come to understand, what combination of the two is most accurate).

Little_Miss_1565
12-05-2008, 06:51 AM

I am a filthy American so I am unfamiliar with the workings of the foreign ministry. :*(

wheelchairman
12-05-2008, 07:56 AM
No it's been called Foreign Minister in the US before Barack Obama's administration. They only change it to Secretary when a woman gets the job.

ad8
12-05-2008, 08:35 AM
If you're talking about her becoming Secretary of State, you're late. It was announced a while ago, and she accepted a few days ago.

But I haven't actually watched the news lately. Maybe you're right and I'm behind the times.

Ah, thank you. This might be the misunderstanding. But still, how did people react on the announcement? And do you think that she can do a good job?

Little_Miss_1565
12-05-2008, 09:17 AM
No it's been called Foreign Minister in the US before Barack Obama's administration. They only change it to Secretary when a woman gets the job.

Nahh, dogg. Dudes are "secretaries" of whatever in the cabinet, too. Thomas Jefferson was a secretary of state, not foreign minister.

Mota Boy
12-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Being a filthy American, are you also unfamiliar with sarcasm?

Little_Miss_1565
12-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Being a filthy American, are you also unfamiliar with sarcasm?

Yes, because as a filthy american EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLY SERIOUS AND IMPORTANT. :P

Vera
12-05-2008, 01:01 PM
I thought the US was the #1 exporter of sarcasm in the world. Can sense of humor only be smuggled in nowadays? Terrorism has ruined everything!

0r4ng3
12-05-2008, 01:25 PM
I thought the US was the #1 exporter of sarcasm in the world. Can sense of humor only be smuggled in nowadays? Terrorism has ruined everything!
They took our jerbs!

sKratch
12-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Nahh, dogg. Dudes are "secretaries" of whatever in the cabinet, too. Thomas Jefferson was a secretary of state, not foreign minister.

More recently, Colon Powell.

What's this about Hilary's appointment being unconstitutional?

Little_Miss_1565
12-07-2008, 06:24 PM
What's this about Hilary's appointment being unconstitutional?

Wait, what?

sKratch
12-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Reddit was full of headlines about her not being constitutionally appointable because she's a sitting senator and something something blah blah I had a busy week and couldn't read into it too much.

Smash_Returns
12-11-2008, 09:44 PM
Ha, I just lol at the thought of Bill getting a chance to be the D.C. slut (again).

Bill: Hey, Barack, wanna come back to my place?

Apathy
12-11-2008, 10:08 PM
It was announced when accepted. It was speculated upon many days afore.

That's what I said.

I think the main confusion that I caused was the fact that the Secretary of State is the term for it used in the U.S. whereas they handle foreign affairs, they are not usually called a foreign minister, at least by anyone within the states.

Which, is what I was trying to say.

and as Little Miss pointed out, I'm not sure if per was joking or not, but the U.S. has always called them secretaries. 1st President started with three secretaries in his cabinet state, treasury, and war. All men obviously.

sKratch
12-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Wait, what?

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/19/bush-approves-bill-reducing-secretary-of-states-pay/

Little_Miss_1565
12-20-2008, 11:56 AM
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/19/bush-approves-bill-reducing-secretary-of-states-pay/

At first reading the headline I was like OH NO HE DI'INT, but then I read the article and really that was a pretty cool thing of Bush to do.

metalmania
12-20-2008, 01:59 PM
hm oh poor same policies,same false views will guide again!and i guess her new policies will be good for israel!;)