PDA

View Full Version : Offspring snubbed for Grammys :(

T_immortal
12-04-2008, 02:48 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/grammy_nominees_announced.html

No nomination for our guys :( I wasn't realistically expecting a nomination, but it didn't hurt to hope right? Lol

KHWHD
12-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Unfucking real. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Beheaded
12-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Best Rock Album: Coldplay????
WTF! :confused:

IamSam
12-04-2008, 03:15 PM
You guys really didn't expect this?

cool 2 hate 681
12-04-2008, 03:19 PM
did they ever get a nomination before :confused:

F@ BANKZ
12-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Give them an award that's worth winning.

IamSam
12-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Give them an award that's worth winning.

Like the Nobel Peace Prize.

F@ BANKZ
12-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Like the Nobel Peace Prize.
Nah..
The Nobel Peace Prize, for Kickboxing.

Edit: Yes, double whammy! Or should I say.. Double grammy ;)
Ohhhhhhhh!

jacknife737
12-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Nobody cares about the Grammys.

T_immortal
12-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Nobody cares about the Grammys.

But I thought they were like the academy awards of music? Surely that's a good thing? :confused:

jacknife737
12-04-2008, 03:57 PM
But I thought they were like the academy awards of music? Surely that's a good thing? :confused:

No they're a circle jerk for major labels and mainstream releases. Independent albums and bands aren't even considered for the categories (well, that point doesn't really matter to the Offspring, but still). Basically the flavor of the week will win, not the actual "best" records of the year.

T_immortal
12-04-2008, 04:19 PM
No they're a circle jerk for major labels and mainstream releases. Independent albums and bands aren't even considered for the categories (well, that point doesn't really matter to the Offspring, but still). Basically the flavor of the week will win, not the actual "best" records of the year.

Fair enough, so I guess I shouldn't feel too disappointed :) they're still #1 in my book so that's what matters!

bouncingcoles
12-04-2008, 04:21 PM
This is what Trent Reznor has to say about the grammies. "Out of touch old men jacking each other off.
ENOUGH!
Have a nice day."

i agree with him

Cock Joke
12-04-2008, 04:54 PM
I am boycotting the Grammys from now until they get nominated!

RonWelty
12-04-2008, 05:00 PM
The Offspring is that band that never took off to that last step of fame because of not being recognised by global press and because they don't really care about that.

randman21
12-04-2008, 06:56 PM
I realize that I shouldn't be pissed about it, but I am.

Desperado
12-04-2008, 07:01 PM

Independent bands aren't considered because literally millions of albums are released every year. So the Grammys take albums that had the most impact in that year and judge which one was the best.

I think it's pretty reasonable. And I love The Offspring and all, and even if RAFRAG was nominated I don't really think it deserves to win, it's alright but there were better albums released this year, such as Viva La Vida and Tha Carter 3. Still, not getting nominated for the Grammys isn't that big of a deal, only the artists with the most impact will make the nominations. Perhaps if this was the late 90's The Offspring may have been considered, but they aren't really that relevant today.

jacknife737
12-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Independent bands aren't considered because literally millions of albums are released every year. So the Grammys take albums that had the most impact in that year and judge which one was the best.

I know, and that's why they are worthless. It makes the claim "best record" kind of absurd, no? Why not just call it "best selling" record.

I think there were better releases this year, then RAFRAG as well; none of them will be nominated however.

Desperado
12-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Well, some people think that impact is a factor of quality. And I think judging the year's most memorable and important albums is a good thing.

Iwishitallaway
12-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Music awards in general have sucked since the 90's ended. Just compare who and what genre of music were the majority of performances on the shows compared to performances now...it's all Pop b/s...I never watch award shows anymore...it's pointless...

Autonomist
12-04-2008, 09:42 PM
And I love The Offspring and all, and even if RAFRAG was nominated I don't really think it deserves to win, it's alright but there were better albums released this year, such as Viva La Vida and Tha Carter 3.

Absolutely not under any any circumstances ever.

Omni
12-04-2008, 10:47 PM
I really don't see how the Grammys can be considered fair in any light, no matter how you cut it. I'm sorry, it's just not. And before I start ranting, I'd like to say this isn't at all about the Offspring. I realize Desperatos' point that it's judged by a combination of sales and "impact," and if you think about it, there ARE a lot of independent gems out there, some of the best albums ever produced maybe. But it's kind of hard to search through them all and find them, so they just have to listen to the public's opinion for the most part.

I Wikipedia'd the Kings of Leon album. It listed a collection of reviews from various outlets, and almost all of the reviews were neutral leaning toward the negative. So it may be a solid album, but it's by no means outstanding. It's also only sold 210,000 sopies in the US, so it's not even close to being a terrific seller. But you notice what band WAS missing from the Grammy listing? I don't know, how about a little band known as AC/DC. You may have heard of them. Every member of that band is so legendary, that if you drank their piss, it'd increase your longevity by at least two and a half years. Black Ice has been out less than two months and it's already 2x platinum, and reading the reviews, flaws are listed, but the album is nothing but praised throughout. In short: The Grammys just sound to me like some kid is putting together his own little "Best of 2008" list for his school buddy.

Rutegard
12-05-2008, 02:54 AM
I am boycotting the Grammys from now until they get nominated!

why do i always have to quote oyu? stop writing such posts plz, i would like to write something of my own too!!!

i quote Cock Joke

maplejet
12-05-2008, 07:50 AM
The grammies have been really bad lately...rather than supporting music, it's just more of a show these days rather than honoring artists. And the nominations this year are terrible. Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III up for album of the year? It's not even the best hip-hop album of the year, and didn't get the best acclaim among critics.

Jonas Brothers up for Best New Artist? They haven't been that "new". And the other new artists look like female pop crap.

At least Metallica is up for best rock album, but it's obvious Coldplay will win. Disturbed is finally up for a grammy with "Inside The Fire"....that's probably the only thing I'm looking forward too.

Now that I think of it, punk rock has not been well honored at these award shows.

Rooster
12-05-2008, 08:22 AM
I don't care about grammys, but i do think that today's mainstream needs to change. Just think about what happened at the beginning of the ninties. It would be nice to see a band that would change music the way Nirvana did - they weren't first grunge band, but they did make a huge impact and opened the way for all other alternative and punk bands (thank god they did that), and mainstream was full of grungy, dirty sounding alternative rock and punk. I miss that, i was too young to fully experience the music at the time, but 90's music is my favorite. Nowadays the music is just too clean, polished, the scene is dominated by overproduced pop rock bands (who think they play metal) and self-proclaimed alternative rock bands who only whine on the stage (the nowadays "emo", the original was different) and have no idea what rock music is (i have nothing against good production, but overproduced albums sound so unnatural), and of course trillions of i-have-boobs-which-means-i-can-sing ultra commercial pop singers (most of them don't have the faintest idea how to sing anyway, they just show their boobs and booties and everyone's happy). If there was a right time to change the music again, then it is now.

Desperado
12-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Absolutely not under any any circumstances ever.

No, it totally is. A Milli is by far the best song of the year imo, and there are tons of songs on that album that are in the top 10 for best rap songs.

Rooster
12-05-2008, 01:27 PM
No, it totally is. A Milli is by far the best song of the year imo...

Please tell me you're being sarcastic...