PDA

View Full Version : Who would you like to produce the next album?

Living in Chaos
12-05-2008, 11:57 PM
I was just reading though the "How many more albums do you expect The Offspring to make" thread, and got this idea from that.

Who would you like to produce the next album?

Should they stick with Bob Rock? Or go with someone entirely new?

Yeah I know its too early to speculate on a new album, but I was just interested in seeing people opinions on whether they should stick with Bob Rock or not.

In my opinion, yes, they should stick with Bob Rock.
I really liked the freedom of approach that Bob gave the band and the direction they took with Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, and would like to see them expand on that on future records.

I would give more of an opinion, but I just got home from work and can't think right now haha.

jacknife737
12-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Although i liked what Bob did with RAFRAG, i think a change would be good. In my opinion, it would be neat if they use a back to basics type producer like Bill Stevenson (NOFX, Rise Against).

Butch Vig (Against Me!, Nirvana, Green Day) would be interesting as well, but i think he only works on bands that are part of the Warner Music Group labels and their subsidiaries.

HeadAroundU
12-06-2008, 01:55 AM
They should stick with him but there were things I didn't like.
- perfectionism, they should bring a bit more of complexity and chaos, just like in HH. It suits The Offspring. It's not good that both, Dexter and Bob, are perfectionists.
- too many influences, they should be more dominant.
- diverse album (connected with a previous point), they should go for a bit more cohesive album.

As for mixing, it was a challenging record for Bob because of diversity. He did an amazing job on some songs. I didn't like only a couple of details, colour on H-T and hushed drums on TIY.

killboybowerhead
12-06-2008, 02:27 AM
I dont know Id produce it for free.:)
I thought this latest record was a step up from Splinter and CO1. So definitely Rock over O'Brien. But I would like to see them just do their own album. Hire an engineer and just do it themselves. It may come out more screwy but I think that adds character. With the little experience I have had with producers I kind of think they all have the same goal of taking whatever it is you have and making it easy to digest to the listener. What is great about the new record is every song offers something different. But for me it goes a bit too far sometimes to the point it just feels like 12 singles rather than an album.

If they want the best shot at putting out a commercial success then Id have to say Rick Rubin.

RonWelty
12-06-2008, 03:36 AM
Dave Jerden.

FunkFromRussia
12-06-2008, 04:39 AM
+1. Ixnay was good, and i hope that in next album will be more drive, than rafrag.

findout5
12-06-2008, 05:48 AM
Although i liked what Bob did with RAFRAG, i think a change would be good. In my opinion, it would be neat if they use a back to basics type producer like Bill Stevenson (NOFX, Rise Against).

Butch Vig (Against Me!, Nirvana, Green Day) would be interesting as well, but i think he only works on bands that are part of the Warner Music Group labels and their subsidiaries.

Butch has worked with The Offspring (non-Warner group), infact he was suppose to produce CO1, but didn't due to tour commitments with Garbage. So, Brendan O' Brien was the next choice.

And he has also worked with AFI (who were @ Dreamworks at the time).

findout5
12-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Dave Jerden.

3 words to that: Fuckin' A Right!

I like Bob Rock's production a lot and also Brendan's to be honest, but Dave Jerden has unquestionably helped The Offspring to deliver the two best records they made! For me (and for a lot of other people) that was the best period the band ever had...so far!

Other producers that maybe I'd like to see them work with are:
- David Botrill (Silverchair, new AFI, Tool, Muse, etc.): He doesn't have a specific sound, the bands always sound like themselves, but really inspired. Silverchair's Diorama and Tool's Lateralus are both such audio orgasms! Love'em!

- Michael Beinhorn (Social Distortion's White Light, White Heat, White Trash and Soundgarden's Superunknown): His records aren't always the best in production, but they do sound good and above all, the songwriting the bands produce while working with this guy is really great!

I think they could really branch out with those guys!

I'm also sad they didn't make a record with Jerry Finn, he was great!

Still, number one pick: Dave Jerden!

Jojan
12-06-2008, 06:24 AM
The band should produce it all by themselfs.

Dave Jerden.

"Jerden" sounds like "Gör den", which means "Does it" in Swedish.

Stylie
12-06-2008, 08:32 AM
I didn't like only a couple of details, colour on H-T and hushed drums on TIY.

TIY? ôÔ Man, how hard is it to write down Trust in You? It's not even long. Songs like CGMHAY, YGGFK and stuff is alright. But I actually had to check the track list to find out what TIY was. :P

Anyway, I really don't have that knowledge about producers, so I don't know. Bob Rock seems to be good, but RAFRAG is maybe a little bit overproduced? Some songs, just some few songs. Otherwise, I really like what he did.

Alex101
12-06-2008, 09:43 AM
There are a few that should work on the next Offspring album, in my opinion...

- Cameron Webb (Motörhead, Social Distortion, Pennywise): He would be a good choice as the producer for the next Offspring album. Cameron actually did good when he produced the last Social D record Sex, Love and Rock 'n' Roll, which has been one of my top 5 favorite albums of 2004.

- Nick Raskulinecz (Rush, Foo Fighters, Coheed and Cambria, Death Angel, Alice in Chains): He would also be interesting, but I think he's only into working with bands that aren't punk. Not only have I been impressed with Nick's work with the Foo Fighters, Coheed and Cambria, the last Rush album Snakes and Arrows and Death Angel's Killing Season, but it seems unlikely that he'll produce the next Offspring record because of recording commitments with Alice in Chains.

- David Kahne (Bangles, Fishbone, Sublime, 311, Sugar Ray): For obvious reasons. In my opinon, he actually fits as the producer for the next Offspring album and I was also impressed with his work on Fishbone's respective breakthrough albums, Truth and Soul and The Reality of My Surroundings, and Sublime's 1996 iconic final self-titled album.

- Caram Costanzo (Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Rage Against the Machine, Guns N' Roses): I'd be (half-)surprised if Chinese Democracy producer would work with The Offspring.

- Bill Stevenson (Descendents, ALL, Big Drill Car, Lagwagon, The Ataris, NOFX, MxPx, Rise Against, The Lemonheads): For obvious reasons. Since he's been producing a lot of successful punk records, I think it's about time for Bill to work with The Offspring. It would be cool if he'd do that.

The_Bass
12-06-2008, 11:21 AM
I love what Bob Rock did, let him do his tricks again.

Cock Joke
12-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Keep Bob Rock forever!!!

Sofinch
12-06-2008, 12:56 PM
I was thinking about Cock Joke
but Bob Rock is also good!

Ninty Man
12-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Well... to be honest I was impressed with the sound -not the quality of the sound- of the album, so I say let's give Bob another chance...

But if don't, let's bring O'Brien again... but do what you did for AC/DC motherfucker

IamSam
12-06-2008, 01:37 PM

Fuck yes. On Both counts. I like what Bob did, but I would like to hear more 'grit' if that makes any sense.

findout5
12-06-2008, 05:13 PM
There are a few that should work on the next Offspring album, in my opinion...

- Cameron Webb (Motörhead, Social Distortion, Pennywise): He would be a good choice as the producer for the next Offspring album. Cameron actually did good when he produced the last Social D record Sex, Love and Rock 'n' Roll, which has been one of my top 5 favorite albums of 2004.

- Nick Raskulinecz (Rush, Foo Fighters, Coheed and Cambria, Death Angel, Alice in Chains): He would also be interesting, but I think he's only into working with bands that aren't punk. Not only have I been impressed with Nick's work with the Foo Fighters, Coheed and Cambria, the last Rush album Snakes and Arrows and Death Angel's Killing Season, but it seems unlikely that he'll produce the next Offspring record because of recording commitments with Alice in Chains.

- David Kahne (Bangles, Fishbone, Sublime, 311, Sugar Ray): For obvious reasons. In my opinon, he actually fits as the producer for the next Offspring album and I was also impressed with his work on Fishbone's respective breakthrough albums, Truth and Soul and The Reality of My Surroundings, and Sublime's 1996 iconic final self-titled album.

- Caram Costanzo (Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Rage Against the Machine, Guns N' Roses): I'd be (half-)surprised if Chinese Democracy producer would work with The Offspring.

- Bill Stevenson (Descendents, ALL, Big Drill Car, Lagwagon, The Ataris, NOFX, MxPx, Rise Against, The Lemonheads): For obvious reasons. Since he's been producing a lot of successful punk records, I think it's about time for Bill to work with The Offspring. It would be cool if he'd do that.

Nick Raskulinecz worked with Rufio while they were on Nitro Records, but I hate his sound...too gritty! Don't really like Cameron Webb, nor do I regard him as a top notch producer! You're the second to mention Bill Stevenson! - might as well get Brett Gurewitz! :p

Who is that Caram Constanzo?? I have all that Pearl Jam, STP and RATM did...his name ain't there! Brendan O' Brien's is however!

Alex101
12-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Who is that Caram Constanzo?? I have all that Pearl Jam, STP and RATM did...his name ain't there! Brendan O' Brien's is however!
Caram Constanzo was the producer for the new GN'R album Chinese Democracy. He only engineered albums by Pearl Jam, STP and RATM.

Budzy
12-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Well I liked the stuff on RAFRAG, but it really was a very different sound compared to what the Offspring usually do...it turned out alright, but ( you guys are sick of hearing this) a few songs sound like they were meant for Greenday, that's all.

cool 2 hate 681
12-06-2008, 05:56 PM
i say keep bob rock he did a good job with rafrag

by the way i read thom wilson retired :(

Smash_Returns
12-06-2008, 07:39 PM
As long as Bob doesn't do to the Offspring what he did to Metallica, he's fine.

Ninty Man
12-07-2008, 08:12 AM
As long as Bob doesn't do to the Offspring what he did to Metallica, he's fine.

HE??? Are you sure Ulrich and Hetfield didn't had any guilt in there?

findout5
12-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Bob did a great work work with Metallica up until...St. Anger! But that was not his fault. The band wanted a rawer sound and he gave them that! As far as the writing you can only blame them, not Bob!

findout5
12-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Caram Constanzo was the producer for the new GN'R album Chinese Democracy. He only engineered albums by Pearl Jam, STP and RATM.

Checked my cds credits, he wasn't the engineer (either Nick Didia or Karl Egsiker). He was assistant engineer only. Not that much CV working for him!

Stylie
12-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Bob did a great work work with Metallica up until...St. Anger! But that was not his fault. The band wanted a rawer sound and he gave them that! As far as the writing you can only blame them, not Bob!

My brother (which is a Metallica fan) said that the band was in some really deep shit then, and they made this album to proove that they still could play heavy stuff blabla.

Blitzkrieg Bop
12-07-2008, 11:39 AM
I think that they should stick with Bob Rock ... the album is fantastic and if it ain't broke ... don't fix it :D

LosingStreak
12-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Bob Rock again!

Smash_Returns
12-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Load/ReLoad were also terrible albums. Even the Black album wasn't as good as Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, and ...And Justice For All.

Now, it's not entirely Bob's fault, but he is at least partially to blame.

findout5
12-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Load/Reload's songwriting is debatable, but sonically they are really amazing records!

jacknife737
12-07-2008, 02:36 PM
When do you think the Offspring are going to start recording another album?

Noodles mentioned in a radio interview a little while ago, that the band planned on touring for about the next year, take a short break, and then start the next album. There was also a newspaper interview posted that mentioned that Dexter had been going into the band's studio a lot*, but didn't elaborate what was the reason (ie to either practice, or write, ect)

*sorry, don't have a direct link but i think it's in the "interviews" thread.

Stylie
12-07-2008, 02:37 PM
When do you think the Offspring are going to start recording another album?

Afteir their RAFRAG-tour in 2009. :D

RonWelty
12-07-2008, 02:49 PM
They can call me too. I would do a good job

Alex101
12-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Afteir their RAFRAG-tour in 2009. :D

That's what I thought...

Oxygene
12-08-2008, 06:57 AM
Rick Rubin

Alex101
12-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Rick Rubin

I heard he's going to be producing the next Slayer album, so it doesn't seem likely that he'll be able to work with The Offspring.

findout5
12-13-2008, 05:28 PM
That wouldn't stop him from doing it. He's very laidback and not really present on a daily basis.
Other than that, there's usually some "bad" engineers involved with him that make the records not sound that great from a recording perspective.
Mixers too...sometimes!

The RHCP BloodSugarSexMagik engineer was actually Brendan O'Brien, that explains the great sound on a Rick Rubin produced record.
The Mars Volta De-Loused In The Comatorium sounds OK too, and so does Weezer's Make Believe! The new Metallica cd has got some of the nastiest sound I've heard on a "big band" for a while! Apparently, the GHIII version doesn't sound like that.

I hope Rick never crosses paths with The Offspring though.

weezly
12-15-2008, 08:28 AM
just dont work with axle rose!! bob did good

Alex101
12-16-2008, 08:56 AM
just dont work with axle rose!! bob did good
Of course Bob did good, even though he took too long on making RAFRAG. And I wouldn't expect Axl to produce the next Offspring album, even if I were one of the band members.

Ninty Man
12-16-2008, 09:12 AM
Of course Bob did good, even though he took too long on making RAFRAG. And I wouldn't expect Axl to produce the next Offspring album, even if I were one of the band members.

MMM...but i don't think that was Bob's fault -coff man boobs vocalist cof-

Alex101
12-16-2008, 03:51 PM
MMM...but i don't think that was Bob's fault -coff man boobs vocalist cof-
Well, I didn't say it was his fault or the band's. Not only did Bob take his time on making RAFRAG, but he's just like Rick Rubin, taking too long on making records.

iPunk247
12-16-2008, 09:11 PM
YOU!!!
characters

PunksKillEmos
12-17-2008, 09:25 PM
dave jerden

Alex101
12-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Load/ReLoad were also terrible albums. Even the Black album wasn't as good as Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, and ...And Justice For All.

Now, it's not entirely Bob's fault, but he is at least partially to blame.
What? In my opinion, The Black Album wasn't really a bad album.

SK8rocka
12-19-2008, 02:22 AM
The Guy Who Produced ....And Justice For All - Metallica

That album sounds great, better than the black album or anything after that.

on the bob rock note: Look at the resemblance :

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/7453/bobrockqk8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/6682/dexar4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

no affence

findout5
12-19-2008, 04:21 AM
...And Justice For All is clearly the worst sounding Metallica record of all time (excepto of course for Kill'Em All). WTF is wrong with you?

SK8rocka
12-19-2008, 04:58 AM
Fact: st anger is the worst sounding metallica album ever, and yes kill em all is only bad because of how old it is, and because it was recorded with a shitty recording studio.

...And justice for all sounds great, ok maybe the drums are to loud, but everything else is Awesome

yeah noodles should produce the album, that way there'd be more solos

Alex101
12-19-2008, 09:38 AM
The Guy Who Produced ....And Justice For All - Metallica

That album sounds great, better than the black album or anything after that.

on the bob rock note: Look at the resemblance :

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/7453/bobrockqk8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/6682/dexar4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

no affence
The producer for ...And Justice for All's name is Flemming Rasmussen.

findout5
12-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Flemming also did Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets.

And, St. Anger sounds the way it does on purpose, not by accident, unlike..AJFA! And you can hear the bass on the St. Anger!

And, Flemming just isn't up to standards of The Offspring. There's a reason he hasn't produced any Metallica record since they got huge - he isn't great!

Alex101
12-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Flemming also did Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets.

And, St. Anger sounds the way it does on purpose, not by accident, unlike..AJFA! And you can hear the bass on the St. Anger!

And, Flemming just isn't up to standards of The Offspring. There's a reason he hasn't produced any Metallica record since they got huge - he isn't great!
I wouldn't expect Flemming to produce an Offspring album. If he were to do that, The Offspring's music would still sound different than Smash, Ignition and Ixnay.

offspring_freak_3
12-27-2008, 05:38 PM
i really don't care who is gonna produce the next album.
as long the album is good am ok with it