PDA

View Full Version : who should do drums on the next offspring album?

cool 2 hate 681
12-07-2008, 05:23 PM
with all these threads on the next album i have a question if pete stays beyond the 2009 tour should he record drums on the next album or do you think the band should keep josh freese as their studio drummer?

Desperado
12-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Josh Freese, cooler drums.

KHWHD
12-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Pete without a doubt.

Cock Joke
12-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Pete because he is now the official drummer. Although if Josh ever joined the band for good that would be awesome!

Ninty Man
12-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Pete... but read my words Dexter: If I hear another Americana-Co1 drumstyle, I will kill you

Skinny
12-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Josh Freese's drumming was the highlight of Splinter for me.

IamSam
12-07-2008, 06:27 PM
I want Pete to do it. Also I would like to hear a sweet, up tempo drum entrance. We have Gone Away, SIMU, Nothingtown...nothing that is really upbeat that lets you know "Hey, this song is a fast and fun song, let's go." If that makes any sense.

EDIT: An intro (don't kill me) something like what Barker did on Blink's 'First Date.'

Alex101
12-07-2008, 06:51 PM
I chose Pete. Now that he's an official member of The Offspring, he should play on their next album, that'd be cool.

randman21
12-07-2008, 07:11 PM
I want Pete to do it. Also I would like to hear a sweet, up tempo drum entrance. We have Gone Away, SIMU, Nothingtown...nothing that is really upbeat that lets you know "Hey, this song is a fast and fun song, let's go." If that makes any sense.

EDIT: An intro (don't kill me) something like what Barker did on Blink's 'First Date.'
Hmmm, they haven't done this since Session (or Nitro if you count that), have they? That's a pretty long time for a punk band.

Alex101
12-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Hmmm, they haven't done this since Session (or Nitro if you count that), have they? That's a pretty long time for a punk band.

They had a non-intro track on the last record Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace.

jacknife737
12-07-2008, 07:33 PM
I'd like to see Pete handle it. It would be nice to have some stability in the band.

Obviously, if not Pete, then Josh Freese.

Alex101
12-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Don't The Offspring ever get tired of having Josh play drums on their albums? Pete should have a turn recording with them when they do their next album.

IamSam
12-07-2008, 08:57 PM
They had a non-intro track on the last record Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace.

What? No you dolt: I want a song with a fast paced drum intro that is part of the song. Not a separate track.

Budzy
12-07-2008, 09:12 PM
What? No you dolt: I want a song with a fast paced drum intro that is part of the song. Not a separate track.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=WjXzXUuyAgI

Rutegard
12-08-2008, 02:56 AM
i voted for pete

drummerbecca
12-08-2008, 04:44 AM
I voted for Pete aswell. He's a really great drummer and it'd be good to have them as a whole band rather than "The Offspring and tour drummer Pete Parada".

dr.vanessa
12-08-2008, 04:48 AM
i voted for Pete too:)

HeadAroundU
12-08-2008, 05:23 AM
If they treat Pete as a permanent drummer, then he should do it.

Pasior
12-08-2008, 05:29 AM
Atom Willard !!!!

Gustavo
12-08-2008, 07:45 AM
I am not sure, I haven't heard Pete's studio work yet.
I love Josh Freese's work on studio though. All the drum work he has done that I have gotten the opportunity to hear were awesome.
He is actually my favorite (studio) drummer, really good question the one you've got.

Atom Willard !!!!

Wtf?! Why would The Offspring need someone who prefered to stay in Angels And Airwaves ?

Alex101
12-08-2008, 07:47 AM
I am not sure, I haven't heard Pete's studio work yet.
You should check out his studio work with his pre-Offsprind band Face to Face. He played drums on their last three albums: Ignorance Is Bliss, Reactionary and How to Ruin Everything.

ThunderPX
12-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Don't The Offspring ever get tired of having Josh play drums on their albums?

The hell, how do you get tired of having Josh friggin' Freese play your songs?

Alex101
12-08-2008, 07:57 AM
The hell, how do you get tired of having Josh friggin' Freese play your songs?

It just doesn't make sense to have a session drummer record an album while a band already has their own official drummer.

IamSam
12-08-2008, 08:21 AM
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=WjXzXUuyAgI

LMAO...thanks for that.

Tomasisko
12-08-2008, 09:59 AM
It's time for Pete. I really like how Josh did the drums, but Pete is now an official Offspring drumer and he is cool :) Almost as cool as Atom was :cool:

holland25
12-08-2008, 10:33 AM
And it happens again. I voted for Josh but wanted to vote for Pete. Fuck me.

dominoizzy
12-08-2008, 10:42 AM
it's very simply: Pete!:cool:

Aion
12-08-2008, 11:15 AM

why kill u? Barker is a kick ass drummer...
even people who hated blink thinks he is awesome...
i just hope he can play like before after the accident/recovery

findout5
12-08-2008, 11:16 AM
There's a video on youtube where Pete says Josh is the best drummer in the world! :)

Fuckin' Josh, fuckin' Freese = Da Man

Alex101
12-13-2008, 04:15 PM
And it happens again. I voted for Josh but wanted to vote for Pete. Fuck me.

So, who exactly did you vote?

IamSam
12-13-2008, 04:44 PM
So, who exactly did you vote?

Isn't it obvious? He voted for Josh when he wanted to vote for Pete.

Mike44NJDevils
12-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Voted for Pete. Atom's situation was unique as the band was writing before he was a member, hence having him lay down new tracks was probably not the best thing in the world (Splinter).

As for RFRG, Atom was on his way OUT, so they also needed a session drummer. If Pete is going to stay, then he should definitely be the one to lay down the tracks, regardless if Josh is a better drummer (he is...).

In my honest opinion, Josh is just slightly heavy for this band. Luckily, the songs themselves lent to a lighter side of his drummer. I think is he had recorded tracks for some other songs (Amazed, Dirty Magic, Pay the Man, Gone Away) his "style" would have been revealed to be way to heavy.

That's my assumed reason why "Race against myself" didn't make it very big, it didn't "sound" like Offspring.

jacknife737
12-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Welcome to the BBS! ^

Mike44NJDevils
12-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Welcome to the BBS! ^

:D Thanks. It's funny, I'm a meber on about 8 or 9 boards, yet I haven't been on the Offspring boards yet :(

Alex101
12-13-2008, 05:57 PM
:D Thanks. It's funny, I'm a meber on about 8 or 9 boards, yet I haven't been on the Offspring boards yet :(
Well, good to see you here.

nameless
12-13-2008, 08:43 PM
there was this same debate shortly after splinter was released. people couldnt wait to hear atom play on the new album, now the say thing is happening with pete. if pete does record on the next album, assuming there will be one, they are more than likely gonna keep their style the same. it wont change just because pete has joined.

i really dont see what the issue is with them using josh freese. its been well documented that dexter calls the shots in the group and the drum parts are gonna be pretty much kept the same no matter who plays on the album!

this is the way they have chosen to do things and at the end of the day its up to them. is it really such a big deal if pete is the touring drummer for a few years or a full time member of some of you put it?!

randman21
12-14-2008, 04:55 AM
The drummer.

jacknife737
12-14-2008, 05:10 AM
@ Nameless

I think it has more to do with a sense of completeness/wholeness with the band, rather then a noticeable difference in sound/technique. If Freese handles the drums for the next album, Pete will be nothing more then a hired gun, not a full member of the band. Should he drum on the new album, it'll seem like they're a full band again. That aspect is at least important to me. I also think, that although the impact may be minimal given the fact that Dexter is indeed the primary song writer, i still think the drummer will have some influence over the way the album sounds.

findout5
12-14-2008, 05:35 AM
Voted for Pete. Atom's situation was unique as the band was writing before he was a member, hence having him lay down new tracks was probably not the best thing in the world (Splinter).

As for RFRG, Atom was on his way OUT, so they also needed a session drummer. If Pete is going to stay, then he should definitely be the one to lay down the tracks, regardless if Josh is a better drummer (he is...).

In my honest opinion, Josh is just slightly heavy for this band. Luckily, the songs themselves lent to a lighter side of his drummer. I think is he had recorded tracks for some other songs (Amazed, Dirty Magic, Pay the Man, Gone Away) his "style" would have been revealed to be way to heavy.

That's my assumed reason why "Race against myself" didn't make it very big, it didn't "sound" like Offspring.

You forgot that Atom was almost a full member by the time Greatest Hits came out, and he didn't play on those 2 new tracks!

On one side, I do think that it'd be good for them to have a full member doing drums...but Josh Freese is simply Josh Freese! Amazing!