PDA

View Full Version : Translating Slang on Lyrics

Ibanez GRG 270
12-08-2008, 01:35 AM
Hi Guys!

Im new to this board and i normally hate people joining a new board with their first action to start a new thread but i have some things that are torturing me for years.

I'd like you to translate some words for me in the lyrics that I don't understand beacause I'm not native english speaking. If some of you have more slang parts of the lyrics you want to add to this "dictionary" feel free to post them. If some of these are neologisms please feel free to interpret the meaning.

What mean's (easy explanations preferred):

Mota (I know its something with drugs)
Ixnay in the Hombre (Ixnay like x-mas? Hombre the spanish word for guy? whole sense?)

Thanks in advance!

Greetings

hangovered
12-08-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm not native english speaker too, but i think mota is the weed, marijuana. And according to Dexter Ixnay on the hombre means "fuck the man".

And welcome to the forum:)

holland25
12-08-2008, 02:15 AM
Yes, Mota is marijuana in spanish and Ixnay on the Hombre is pig-Latin for Fuck the man/Fuck the authority.

Gustavo
12-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Hi Guys!

Im new to this board and i normally hate people joining a new board with their first action to start a new thread but i have some things that are torturing me for years.

I'd like you to translate some words for me in the lyrics that I don't understand beacause I'm not native english speaking. If some of you have more slang parts of the lyrics you want to add to this "dictionary" feel free to post them. If some of these are neologisms please feel free to interpret the meaning.

What mean's (easy explanations preferred):

Mota (I know its something with drugs)
Ixnay in the Hombre (Ixnay like x-mas? Hombre the spanish word for guy? whole sense?)

Thanks in advance!

Greetings

As far as my knowledge goes, Mota means marijuana (weed in spanish).
Ixnay on the hombre is a kind of Spanglish expression (English + Spanish), and it's related to getting rid of someone, or taking someone from the power. It could be a sort of translation for "Fuck the man". If I am not wrong, Dexter once translated "Ixnay on the hombre" as "Fuck the authority".

Ohh, welcome to the boards! :)

holland25
12-09-2008, 01:14 AM
They tossed out guitar picks to the crowd with offspring-ish artwork on it?

RageAndLov
12-09-2008, 01:25 AM
Ixnay means "no" in latin, and hombre is "man" in Spanish, so that would be No on the Man, which can be translated to Fuck the Man or Fuck the Authority.

If you have problems with any English or Internet expresions, go to www.urbandictionary.com - it has helped me out many times!

They tossed out guitar picks to the crowd with offspring-ish artwork on it?

That made me laugh so hard!

Omni
12-09-2008, 01:56 AM
The actualy translation for Ixnay is "Nix." Which means to do away with. So the most literal translation possible is "Nix on the Man."