PDA

View Full Version : so i found this review of rafrag...

offspringer24
12-08-2008, 08:26 AM
it was on amazon and i thought it was a top notch review, i don't agree with everything but it seemed really heart felt and passionate, thought you might like a read

C. Ian Alderman (reviewed on amazon)

Went to the BX a few weeks ago and bought this with Metallica's Death Magnetic, excited to see a new Offspring offering. I pop in the CD and talk about disappointment. I figured that maybe this CD would grow on me like Splinter did. When I first heard Splinter, I hated it, but actually was able to tolerate it after repetative listening. I thought this CD was going to be like that after a few listens- because we all know it's incredibly unfair to give low marks on anything based on just a casual listen or two.

What on earth happened to this band? What happened to the fast riffs, the cool bass or drum intros, the music that got your blood pumpin' and your fist shaking angrily in the air? What happened to the angst that made the Offspring the Offspring?

The impression I received from this cd was that this is the retarded love child of Linkin Park and Green Day. I'll come out bravely and say that I do like those bands' music. I do. But when I purchase an Offspring CD, I want to hear the Offspring. Now, when I want Ignition, or the Self Titled, or Smash or Ixnay, I'll bust 'em out. The disappointment primarily came when I read some reviews saying it sounded like a combo of Ixnay and Smash. This CD is NOTHING like those two let me tell you!

I think the biggest travesty of this album is what it's doing or going to do to long time listeners and how much fair weather fans will come out and play. I have listened to the Offspring since about '92 and I guess the good thing about this is since Metallica tossed Bob Rock, I've been able to get back to my roots! Throw them devil horns in the air! Master!

But in all honesty though, I pray that the Offspring make one more cd- that this is Offspring's St. Anger and the next CD will be their Death Magnetic- the Offspring can't end like this- they just can't.

I won't even touch sound quality- I'm no audiophile, so there is no room for my critique there. The beef of the review is that the first few songs are what's supposed to sell the album- it's supposed to dictate the flow and get the listener digging the album. As a long time Offspring lover, I found it extremely difficult to listen to the first few songs. Smash was nearly a spiritual experience- this was a painful and cringing experience if I ever heard of one- it was like a really bad acid trip let me tell you. Just do not buy this- unless you're in the mood for flavor of the week nonsense.

Dex, Noodles and the rest of the Offspring- I wish yall would read and heed the pains of your fans- I know, I know- make the music you want to hear- but it would be nice to have a glimpse of what used to be, instead of washing your hands of it for good. It's hard to be talking about Molotov Cocktails and Beheading your girlfriend and the LAPD this far into the game- but there's so much that famous Offspring attitude can be applied to with the way society is going right now.

This was a very hard review to write- I have a slim hope that if the Offspring record again, that they learn from the several falls of this album.

i don't agree with everything but seems like a passionate yet gutted fan!

Oxygene
12-08-2008, 08:47 AM
I get people who don't get a lot like me
I get people who don't get kristy
I get people who don't like fix you

Whoever tells me that they cringe when they hear "the beginning of the album" -> Half Truism, they are bullshitting.

Half Truism is one of the most "Offspringy" tunes EVER, and also one of the best Offspring songs ever. Hands down.

The rest of the album is unorthodox, and I can respect peoples opinion on that. That's objective. The only reason this guy wrote a review is so he could show us how elite he is for having listened to the offspring since 92 (which is more likely than not pure bullshit anyway).

The guy is full of shit. I think we're all better of if he just listens to his Death Magnetic CD and Linkin Park stuff...

Little_Miss_1565
12-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Agreed. The first half of the album is some of the best shit ever ever ever. "Unorthodox" is a nice way to describe the second half, Oxy. I still dig it, but I can understand why others might not.

The mastering on Death Magnetic is such shite that I can't listen to it.

Trek
12-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Well tyah 50/50 ,but i still love RAFRAG. :)

hshduppsnt
12-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Agreed. The first half of the album is some of the best shit ever ever ever. "Unorthodox" is a nice way to describe the second half, Oxy. I still dig it, but I can understand why others might not.

The mastering on Death Magnetic is such shite that I can't listen to it.

agreed... how you can say Trust in you is not classic Offspring sound is beyond me.

But anyway he lost me when he was talking about how amazing Death Magnetic is. I may be a little biased at this point with changing tastes or whatever but I wasn't very impressed, improvement? sure but not outstanding to say the least.

Cock Joke
12-08-2008, 12:42 PM
I love the album, but I can understand this guy's criticism of it. The least he could do was mention how kickass the beginning of the CD was.

hshduppsnt
12-08-2008, 12:48 PM
I love the album, but I can understand this guy's criticism of it. The least he could do was mention how kickass the beginning of the CD was.

but that's just the thing... it sounded like he didn't like the first half...
i could see if he didn't like the second half...

findout5
12-08-2008, 12:52 PM
I also like the 1st half of the record more than the 2nd half.
I don't really hear Linkin Park anywhere in the record! Perhaps he's talking about "A lot like me"...but that sounds more U2ish to me than LP.
I do hear a bit of Green Day in there! Nothingtown is GDish, and Rise and Fall doesn't even get the "ish" tag - that one sounds just like American Idiot!

jacknife737
12-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I get people who don't get a lot like me
I get people who don't get kristy
I get people who don't like fix you

Whoever tells me that they cringe when they hear "the beginning of the album" -> Half Truism, they are bullshitting.

Half Truism is one of the most "Offspringy" tunes EVER, and also one of the best Offspring songs ever. Hands down.

I agree completely. Outside of those three tracks; the majority of the album is pretty standard Offspring stuff, it seems odd that people claim that it's a major departure for the band.

And the first four tracks contain some of the band's best work to date.

Rutegard
12-08-2008, 12:57 PM
I agree completely. Outside of those three tracks; the majority of the album is pretty standard Offspring stuff, it seems odd that people claim that it's a major departure for the band.

And the first four tracks contain some of the band's best work to date.

i do agree with you, and i have to say, of all those three tracks you are talking bout, i really like fix you and kristy.

jacknife737
12-08-2008, 01:22 PM
i do agree with you, and i have to say, of all those three tracks you are talking bout, i really like fix you and kristy.

So do I; it's just that I can understand why some people dislike them.

The_Bass
12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
He's a moron, let him be.

hangovered
12-08-2008, 01:30 PM
I think, that art doesn't exist without recipient. But I also think, that artist can't make things that he thinks his audience would like. The Offspring are the artists for me and they do things they care about, write text about things that are important for them...I think it is art and you can't tell them "do something more offspringish" becouse right now IT IS OFFSPRINGISH.You may like it or not,but this is how they feel right now...
Or not?I don't know,I just guess.

HeadAroundU
12-08-2008, 01:38 PM
All I hear is mumbling that's way off.

But I'll use this opportunity to pinpoint what's wrong with RFRG.

- HH and A Lot Like Me, some of the greatest songs I have ever heard, but I would never put them on the same album. Especially next to each other. Such album shouldn't be called album. It should be called 'buncha songs'.

- Huge thanx for those songs goes to Letters Organize, Nirvana (The Doors), Coldplay and maybe slightly Linkin Park. I approve of Letters Organize ripping. They should rip less known bands.

- Shall I mention the song Rise and Fall? That's even less The Offspring than So Alone from Smash. Diluted offspring. 50% Green Day's you know which song :d, and 30% Weezer's Hash Pipe.

- So now, they did buncha songs. :D "Let's make a black cover for a colourful album, as it actually looks like those songs are somehow connected with each other and tell people it's about good and evil." BTW, I saw red for a couple of seconds and then I went blind. :d

- Pure perfectionism of Dexter & Bob is so mind boggling that the next album probably won't even have song structures. Oh wait, you can't have songs without song structure.

- Well, what's next, Nothingtown! Soon enough we will teach this song 10 years old kids in elementary school, in musical classes.

- "Now, thinking about it", "tru punxxs won't like those buncha songs, let's rip Bad Religion's soul and make TAKES ME NOWHERE". "Yeah, we want a big audience." "But what about dogs???" "They listen to music too and might buy it." "Let's rip Coldplay's superanimalysensual Fix You and name it Fix you so animals know it's actually Coldplay." :d

Now, that's punk! Oh wait, they are not punk anymore because they are sooo old. Oh noeeeez.

I could go on forever, next time you criticize, do it properly, please. ;)

the_real_potomek
12-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I really like RAFRAG. Some songs are different than what Offspring did so far, but I think that's good. There was a time that I listened almost only to this album and I didn't get bored at all. And I didn't know Dexter can sings in so many different ways:D

Stylie
12-08-2008, 02:13 PM
the first half of the album is some of the best shit ever ever ever. "unorthodox" is a nice way to describe the second half, oxy. I still dig it, but i can understand why others might not.

qft. 12345

sheltman
12-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Very few albums are good top to bottom, in fact many just have two to three good songs. RAFRAG has 3 incredible songs, Half Truism, Trust in ME, YGGFK, 4 great songs, A Lot Like Me, Stuff is Messed Up, Kristy, and Hammerhead, a good song, Takes me Nowhere, and the rest of the album isn't terrible. I honestly believe that this is one of the Offspring's best alums, holding true to roots while exploring new territory. I also believe that this is Bob Rock's redeeming production. If their next album (pleeeeaaase) is half this good, I will be stoked. I can't believe that they have stayed as good as they have for as long as they have, and it kills me when people bitch about their stuff.

drummerbecca
12-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Hmm, I could have picked this up wrong (very tired) but did the reviewer say that Metallica got better after they ditched Bob Rock?

I'll say no more...

bouncingcoles
12-08-2008, 04:28 PM
for the most part i agree with that review. offspring have lost a lot of the old energy that used to be quiet apparent in the older albums. i still dig the first half of the album but overall its a disappointment

nameless
12-08-2008, 05:57 PM
bands change over time. a lot of the songs dont have the same vibe as ignition but if they did, people would still be slagging them off for not changing or experimenting with the sound!

Budzy
12-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Idk, I love the first bit of the album so much, but I have to agree it is definetly not their usual sound. Ill probably get my head bitten off from u guys for saying that, but you listen to splinter, co1, americana, ixnay (all the records from major labels) and then listen to rafrag, its so much mroe different. its not the usual offspring sound, the only thing that makes it offspring is dexters unique voice. Not saying its bad, but it is different.

jacknife737
12-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I just don't see, or should i "hear" that though.

Hammerhead, Trust In You, Takes Me Nowhere, Nothingtown, Half-Truism, Rock Bottom and even Rise and Fall all would fit on any of the past couple albums. I really fail to see what is so "different" about those tracks. All contain the band's standard blend of pop-punk and alt-rock.

You're Gonna Go Far, Kid and Stuff Is Messed Up move away in slightly different directions; but are still very Offspringish; not something that i'd say is totally different.

Fix You, A Lot Like Me, and Kristy are the only tracks that are noticeably different from band's previous work.

Smash_Returns
12-08-2008, 10:02 PM
Hmm, I could have picked this up wrong (very tired) but did the reviewer say that Metallica got better after they ditched Bob Rock?

I'll say no more...
Yes, he did say that. And now that I've heard Death Magnetic, I realize Metallica being shit now isn't all Bob's fault.

However, he may have started the chain of shit.
The Black Album, Load, ReLoad, and St. Anger were all complete shit. Death Magnetic is shit too.

Bob Rock is a rock producer, not a metal producer. Bob does good with bands like Motley Crue/The Offspring, but was one of the worst things to happen to Metallica (in addition to Hetfield and Ulrich's desires to sell out. I feel Hetfield/Ulrich are actually mostly to blame).

If you want Metallica, go with the first 4 albums. Or get some better metal, like Iron Maiden. Or Megadeth.

Budzy
12-09-2008, 12:04 AM
If you want Metallica, go with the first 4 albums. Or get some better metal, like Iron Maiden. Or Megadeth.

Or Katy Perry

bighead384
12-09-2008, 12:24 AM
Man, it's stupid how much I've written about Offspring over the course of my life. Oh well.

Yeah, I feel like the novelty of the songs has only just recently COMPLETELY run out. So now I can fairly judge the album. RAFRAG doesn't blow me away, but it's still awesome. Aside from judging the whole album, I've always noticed that each album contains at least a few songs that I consider to be elite Offspring songs (there's probably no more than 20 of these). RAFRAG adds a bunch of new songs to the list, although there's also a bunch of songs on all their albums that are right on the borderline of being what I'd consider a classic.

RAFRAF has four "new classics" in my opinion:
-Trust in You
-YGGFK
-Rise and Fall
-A Lot Like Me

What's your list of new classics?

Omni
12-09-2008, 12:58 AM
it was on amazon and i thought it was a top notch review, i don't agree with everything but it seemed really heart felt and passionate, thought you might like a read

C. Ian Alderman (reviewed on amazon)

I think the biggest travesty of this album is what it's doing or going to do to long time listeners and how much fair weather fans will come out and play. I have listened to the Offspring since about '92 and I guess the good thing about this is since Metallica tossed Bob Rock, I've been able to get back to my roots! Throw them devil horns in the air! Master!

Dex, Noodles and the rest of the Offspring- I wish yall would read and heed the pains of your fans- I know, I know- make the music you want to hear- but it would be nice to have a glimpse of what used to be, instead of washing your hands of it for good. It's hard to be talking about Molotov Cocktails and Beheading your girlfriend and the LAPD this far into the game- but there's so much that famous Offspring attitude can be applied to with the way society is going right now.

These are the two paragraphs that really got my wtf glands pumping. He keeps acting concerned about the "long time, true" fans. I've heard probably a thousand opinions of this album - from real fans, real enough to sign onto their forums at the very least - and there was a "Make your own review" thread with hundreds of opinions. And from what I've seen, a good 9/10 people on this board agree that something like Ixnay or Smash is a band's zenith that can never be achieved again, and that this record was extremely pleasing for the long wait. It's second only to Ixnay, in my own opinion.

And seriously, the fist-pumping shit? With the exception of the introductions (Disclaimer, Time to Relax, so on and so forth) the first song of every single one of the eight Offspring albums have been among the most rocking they've ever done, and that's not by coincidence I assure you. If you listen to Half-Truism and can honestly tell me that's not classic Offspring, I'll suck your dicků even if you don't have one. I'll find a way. I'm sorry 10/11 songs on their records can't be a wall of sound about anarchy and fighting the Man ala self-titled. By eight records and over four decades of life on the planet, even this tool should expect a degree of maturity. Bands change. Sorry.

Oxygene
12-09-2008, 02:02 AM
All I hear is mumbling that's way off.

But I'll use this opportunity to pinpoint what's wrong with RFRG.

- HH and A Lot Like Me, some of the greatest songs I have ever heard, but I would never put them on the same album. Especially next to each other. Such album shouldn't be called album. It should be called 'buncha songs'.

- Huge thanx for those songs goes to Letters Organize, Nirvana (The Doors), Coldplay and maybe slightly Linkin Park. I approve of Letters Organize ripping. They should rip less known bands.

- Shall I mention the song Rise and Fall? That's even less The Offspring than So Alone from Smash. Diluted offspring. 50% Green Day's you know which song :d, and 30% Weezer's Hash Pipe.

- So now, they did buncha songs. :D "Let's make a black cover for a colourful album, as it actually looks like those songs are somehow connected with each other and tell people it's about good and evil." BTW, I saw red for a couple of seconds and then I went blind. :d

- Pure perfectionism of Dexter & Bob is so mind boggling that the next album probably won't even have song structures. Oh wait, you can't have songs without song structure.

- Well, what's next, Nothingtown! Soon enough we will teach this song 10 years old kids in elementary school, in musical classes.

- "Now, thinking about it", "tru punxxs won't like those buncha songs, let's rip Bad Religion's soul and make TAKES ME NOWHERE". "Yeah, we want a big audience." "But what about dogs???" "They listen to music too and might buy it." "Let's rip Coldplay's superanimalysensual Fix You and name it Fix you so animals know it's actually Coldplay." :d

Now, that's punk! Oh wait, they are not punk anymore because they are sooo old. Oh noeeeez.

I could go on forever, next time you criticize, do it properly, please. ;)
Oh my...

Oxygene
12-09-2008, 02:05 AM
These are the two paragraphs that really got my wtf glands pumping. He keeps acting concerned about the "long time, true" fans. I've heard probably a thousand opinions of this album - from real fans, real enough to sign onto their forums at the very least - and there was a "Make your own review" thread with hundreds of opinions. And from what I've seen, a good 9/10 people on this board agree that something like Ixnay or Smash is a band's zenith that can never be achieved again, and that this record was extremely pleasing for the long wait. It's second only to Ixnay, in my own opinion.

And seriously, the fist-pumping shit? With the exception of the introductions (Disclaimer, Time to Relax, so on and so forth) the first song of every single one of the eight Offspring albums have been among the most rocking they've ever done, and that's not by coincidence I assure you. If you listen to Half-Truism and can honestly tell me that's not classic Offspring, I'll suck your dicků even if you don't have one. I'll find a way. I'm sorry 10/11 songs on their records can't be a wall of sound about anarchy and fighting the Man ala self-titled. By eight records and over four decades of life on the planet, even this tool should expect a degree of maturity. Bands change. Sorry.

Amen!

I always hate how people who are completely clueless wallow in the souls of those they've never even seen before, and come up with absolute opinions.

What he said about the begining of the album is just plain stupid and wrong.

People really need to grow out of their teenage frustrations.

The Search Button
12-09-2008, 02:49 AM
OMG!

What a fantastic review in the first page of this thread!

I just realised that RAFRAG is composed of no songs at all.

Kudos for the guy who wrote it for skipping Trust in You, You're Gonna Go Far, Hammerhead and Stuff is Messed Up.

Besides, we all know you can't talk about The Offspring without menctioning St. Anger.

I'm just concerned with the fact that the guy enjoys so much old Offspring. Maybe he doesn't have the old Cd's to hear it, just maybe.

Smash_Returns
12-09-2008, 10:47 AM
The RAFRAG classics are, IMO:
1. Half-Truism
2. Trust In You
3. YGGF,K
4. Hammerhead