PDA

View Full Version : Best of 2008

jacknife737
12-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Self Explanatory, your favorite albums of 2008! I know there is still almost a month left, but still. It was so hard for me to choose my favorite album, so a joint honor may seem like a bit of a cop out, but the releases by D4 and The Gaslight Anthem were just so good; i really encourage anyone who hasn't checked them out, to please do so. The noticeable absence is of course RAFRAG, it was not included since the Offspring is my favorite band, and thus i'm obviously going to be biased in their favor.

The Top 10

1) Dillinger Four – Civil War / Gaslight Anthem – the 59 Sound
Ah the joint honor. D4 provided a slightly poppier and cleaner sounding album then their previous efforts, which to some may sound worrisome considering the band's traditional "dirty pop-punk" sound; but those fears would be unfounded. This album is a masterpiece; not only a personal best for the band, but the best punk release of the year. As for Gaslight, well, as some users may have noticed i've been constantly whoring them out the past couple months, and for good reason. This album is just that good; my favorite visual for this band, is that their music = Slow dancing in dimly lit bars.

2) The Real McKenzies – Off the Leash
This band is so much more then your typical Celtic Punk band; initially their Scottish, rather then Irish influence immediately sets them apart from peers such as Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murphy's, but also their lyrics. With song topics ranging from Charles Dickens to the First World War. Another noticeable thing about this release, is the huge pop-influence; my favorite track My Mangy Hound, has this awesome New Wave influence, not something i'd expect to hear on the next DK Murphy's release.

3) Off With Their Heads – From the Bottom
Gritty pop-punk at its best. The lyrics are depressingly amazing as well.

4) Less Than Jake – GV FLA
The most surprising release of the year for me; after a lackluster previous album, i'd assumed that they were done, fortunately, i was wrong. The band sounds like they're having fun again, and they didn't forget about their horn section this time!

5) Teenage Bottle Rocket - Warning Device
I’m not sure if I believe in reincarnation, but this is the closest thing, any of us will ever come to seeing the Ramones again.

6)LaGrecia – On Parallels
Jason Shevchuk's vocals are a bit of an aquired taste, check out this album if you're into any of his other bands (ie None More Black)

7) Tom Gabel – Heart Burns EP
Tom Gabel could release an album of him snoring, and i'd put it in my top 10. This EP however, made it on it's own merit. Gabel is reminding us that he hasn't forgotten about his acoustic guitar. Plus, the title track = dance party!

8) The Loved Ones – Build and Burn
Rancid meets Bruce Springsteen. Enough said.

9) No Use For A Name – Feel Good Record of the Year
Not really straying from their traditional pop-punk sound, but a solid album nevertheless.

10) Sloan – Parallel Play
Forget Weezer, this is powerpop at its best.

Honorable Mentions

All these albums were solid, but there was just something that prevented them from being as good as they could have been. State of Grace for example is an excellent album, but it just wasn't on the same level as Fading American Dream (the band's previous full length).

Alkaline Trio – Irony and Agony
Oasis - Dig Out Your Soul
Rise Against – Appeal to Reason
Street Dogs – State of Grace
Pinnhead Gunpower – Westside Highway Ep (if this was about 3-4 tracks longer, it would have been in my top 10)
Goldfigner – Hello Destiny

Edit: Lulz, forgot about one of the best releases of the year, ALK3 is out, Bottlerocket is in.

MAXTER
12-10-2008, 07:19 PM
this thread alredy exist
here: http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35638 ;)

coke_a_holic
12-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Yay!

1. Okkervil River - The Stand-Ins
2. The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride, Satanic Messiah EP, and Black Pear Tree EP (three good releases in one year? fuck yeah)
3. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive
4. Margot & The Nuclear So And So's - Animal/Not Animal
5. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!!
6. Titus Andronicus - The Airing Of Grievances
7. Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound
8. Q-Tip - The Renaissance
9. Why? - Alopecia
10. Los Campesinos! - Hold On Now, Youngster...

Unfair mention: Lupe Fiasco - The Cool came out on, like, December 27th of 2007, and I wish I could put it on this list somewhere.

I feel like I really liked the first few albums, and then after that it was the other ones that I kinda liked. Oh well.

Tyler Durden
12-10-2008, 08:02 PM
1. Lil' Wayne - Tha Carter III
2. Kanye West - 808s & Heartbreak
3. Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs
4. Soulja Boy - iSouljaBoyTellEm
5. Coldplay - Viva La Vida
6. Girltalk - Feed the Animals
7. Metallica - Death Magnetic
8. Ludacris - Theater of the Mind
9. Taylor Swift - Fearless
10. Gun's n Roses - Chinese Democracy

0r4ng3
12-10-2008, 08:32 PM
As much as I hate making just lists, I don't really have much to say about my top 10.

Protest The Hero - Fortress
The Offspring - Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace
The Loved Ones - Build and Burn
Rise Against - Appeal to Reason
The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound
Dillinger Four - Civil War
Alkaline Trio - Agony and Irony
The Living End - White Noise
The Human Abstract - Midhaven
Bloc Party - Intimacy

jacknife737
12-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Bloc Party - Intimacy

Although i really like the record, there's been something bugging me about it. The "electronic" influence is getting to be a bit much for me; still, there are some great tracks on their, especially "Ares".

nieh
12-10-2008, 08:48 PM
I only really LOVE about half of these. Maybe less. I'm sure there's more, but these are the only ones I stumbled across while sifting through this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_albums_released_in_2008).

Why? - Alopecia
The Mae Shi - HILLYH
The Presidents of the United States of America - These Are the Good Times People
Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple
My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges
The Notwist - The Devil, You + Me
Stereolab - Chemical Chords
Jaguar Love - Take Me To The Sea
Okkervil River - The Stand Ins
TV on the Radio - Dear Science

0r4ng3
12-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Although i really like the record, there's been something bugging me about it. The "electronic" influence is getting to be a bit much for me; still, there are some great tracks on their, especially "Ares".
It's not an absolute favorite, I'll be honest. But I had to fill out 10 CDs, and it was either Bloc Party or Anti-Flag.

WebDudette
12-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Hmm...

Have Heart - Songs to Scream at the Sun: I listened to a little bit of hardcore before this album but this is what really did it for me. Fantastic lyrics, music, emotion and makes for an amazing live show.

The Mae Shi - HLLLYH: This entire album is a fun as hell. The whole feeling of this album is just awesome. Ridiculously catchy and poppy, awesome gang vocals, great concept etc. Oh yeah, it also makes for an awesome live show.

The Mountain Goats - Heretic Pride: Honestly, I have no idea what the album is about but it has amazingly catchy music. I really like it.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig!!! Lazarus, Dig!!!: Writing about this album I realize I should pay more attention to the lyrics, in any case it is an awesome album.

A whole bunch of great hardcore releases:
Touche Amore - Demo 08 (does that count?)
Ceremony - Still Nothing Moves You
Killing the Dream - Fractures
Verse - Aggression
Love, Hope, and Fear - Rose EP

The Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath was pretty decent.

mrconeman
12-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Just gunna go through the wiki 2008 releases and list the ones I liked, I have no idea if it will even reach 10 albums, but here we go...in chronological order:

Jack Johnson - Sleep Through The Static.
The Black Mages - Darkness and Starlight.
Joe Satriani - Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock.
Whitesnake - Good to Be Bad.
The Offspring - Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace.

That's pretty much it, I seen on the list though that Joshua Radin released a new album, I'll have to check that.

Thomas
12-10-2008, 11:37 PM
I didn't buy very many cd's this year, but there is one that REALLY stood out that no one has heard of.

The Hanks- Distance.

Seriously. Buy it NOW.

Endymion
12-11-2008, 01:52 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

An Albatross - The Family Album
== not bad. i guess it's a best of '08, but not a best album by any means.
Business Lady - Torture Footage
== same as above. i really, really like some of their earlier stuff, but this album comes off as a bit repetitive and not as interesting
Battlehooch - OOF OWF
== i think it my have actually been released december '07, but fuck you. this is one of the best EPs i've ever heard. they say they'll have a full length out before the end of the year, but we'll see.
Little Teeth - Child Bearing Man
== my pick for best album of the year. fantastic freak/weird/folk/nutz.
The Mae Shi - HLLLYH
== and this is the most likeable album of the year, as can be seen by how many lists it's on. just all around fun, enjoyable album. the sort of thing you can put on when mixed friends are over and everyone will enjoy it. unless your friends are douchebags that is.
Meth Teeth - Bus Rides 7"
== really interesting minimalist folk fuzzed all to hell.

Llamas
12-11-2008, 03:27 AM
Black Kids - Partie Traumatic
Poets of the Fall - Revolution Roulette
Rosenstolz - Die Suche Geht Weiter
Jakob Dylan - Seeing Things
Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons...
Hawthorne Heights - Fragile Future
Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue
Alkaline Trio - Agony and Irony
Alanis Morissette - Flavors of Entanglement
Offspring - Rise and Fall...

Honorable Mentions:
Scars on Broadway
Flogging Molly - Float
Jack's Mannequin - The Glass Passenger

holland25
12-11-2008, 05:21 AM
Humm...:

Scars on Broadway - Scars on Broadway
Slipknot - All Hope is Gone
The Offspring - Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace
Anti-Flag - The Bright Lights of America
Cavalera Conspiracy - Inflikted
D.O.A. - Northern Avenger
Discharge - Disensitise
Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Have Another Ball
Metallica - Death Magnetic

H1T_That
12-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Rise Against - Appeal To Reason
Alkaline Trio - Agony & Irony
The Offspring - Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace
Protest The Hero - Fortress
Radiohead - In Rainbows
All That Remains - Overcome
The Haunted - Versus
Cavalera Conspiracy - Inflikted

In that order. Shame i can't think of 1 more to make it 10.

Autonomist
12-12-2008, 02:25 AM
Pretty underwhelming year. Truth is I really didn't listen to all that much of anything in 2008. There was some good stuff - I enjoyed Untitled by Nas a great deal and am probably leaning towards that as my album of 2008, though I'm admittedly bias having seen him put on amazing live show that I'm still coming down from just a week ago. Aside from that and The Offspring it was all about Aussie hip-hop from me - Downsyde and The Herd both put out awesome releases and it's likely enough I'll be singing the praises of Muph + Plutonic as well once they've had time to digest. It was also good to see Metallica back with a worthy effort.

Disappointments? Kanye West's 808's & Heartbreak, N.E.R.D.'s Seeing Sounds (some strong tracks but they can do much better), Immortal Technique's The 3rd World (it seems he was utilising the worst of himself on this one) and though it grew on me Gnarls Barkley's The Odd Couple should've been much better considering St. Elsewhere is all kinds of great.

1. Lil' Wayne - Tha Carter III

There is no god.

Llamas
12-12-2008, 02:48 AM
I just got two albums today, and I'd like to add them to the list of honorable mentions... cause they're pretty decent (though they're both bands that I mostly only like cause I loved them in high school):

No Use for a Name - Feel Good Record of the Year
Mudvayne - The New Game

Superdope
12-12-2008, 03:36 AM
I just added whatever cs'a I kinda liked, because I was running out of really great ones:

Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On
Gaslight Anthem - The 59 Sound
Weezer - Weezer
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Melvins - Nude with Boots
Jedi Mind Tricks - A History of Violence
Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
Boris - Smile

H1T_That
12-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Oh, yeah, i forgot In Rainbows was this year. Added.

Jakebert
12-15-2008, 10:42 AM
My list is in no particular order.

1.) The Tallest Man on Earth- Shallow Graves
2.) Sun Kil Moon- April
3.) The Mountain Goats- Heretic Pride
4.) R.E.M.- Accelerate
5.) Xiu Xiu- Women as Lovers
6.) Mogwai- The Hawk is Howling
7.) Nada Surf- Lucky
8.) Stephen Malkumus and the Jicks- Real Emotional Trash
9.) Sigur Ros- Meš suš ķ eyrum viš spilum endalaust
10.) TV on the Radio- Dear Science
11.) Jenny Lewis- Acid Tongue
12.) Of Montreal- Skeletal Lamping
13.) Bon Iver- For Emma, Forever Ago
14.) Silver Jews- Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea
15.) The Magnetic Fields- Distortion
16.) The Rosebuds- Life Like
17.) Spiritualized- Songs in A&E
18.) A Silver Mt. Zion- 13 Blues For Thirteen Moons
19.) Okkervil River- The Stand-Ins
20.) The Black Keys- Attack and Release

JohnnyNemesis
12-15-2008, 11:12 AM
This thread is a sobering reminder that 2008 was certainly an awful year for music :(

Ninty Man
12-15-2008, 06:45 PM
This thread is a sobering reminder that 2008 was certainly an awful year for music :(

FALSE:

Rise Against, the offspring, AC/DC and Guns N Roses released albums... that's a good year

Endymion
12-15-2008, 07:32 PM

i'd like to append Andy Tisdall - Cotton Cannibals to my list of awesomeness.

*sample (http://www.last.fm/music/Andy+Tisdall/_/War)*

and yes, you -- YOU -- should listen to the above. you know who you are...

JohnnyNemesis
12-15-2008, 07:40 PM
AC/DC and Guns N Roses released albums

This alone makes me wish I was dead.

Alex101
12-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Scars on Broadway - Scars on Broadway
AC/DC - Black Ice
Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy