PDA

View Full Version : So its been ten years.

RobinoZombie
12-16-2008, 05:38 AM
I have been naggin and bitchin' alot about the latest setlists and the lack of changeups. Or the Standard tradition of an offspring setlist.

Now i have to Shut myself down.

Ten years ago, ten fucking years, i first saw the pretty fly(for a white guy) video on a swedish Tv show. And since then ive been hooked.

The last few days ive been singing songs from americana, almost on a dayly basis, without even listening to the record for ages, So today whilst doing the dishes and cleaning i listened to it back to back.

All i must say is wow, This album kicks serious ass, honestly. I know this may have been posted alot of times, ok it HAS been posted alot of times. But im opening my heart on this record now.

The Songs are flawless, the trackorder is interesting and keeps it fresh as you listen to it, Songs are so crisp and clear and clever.

Its strange when you listen to a record from your favorite band that you haven't been listening to for ages, memories comes back, old feelings& emotions comes up and you feel Re-energized.

This album really has stood the times, Its always been with me, Aswell as other The Offspring Records, From breakups, mental breakdowns, losing my father, been caught in the tsunami, and other shit that's happend to me over the years.

Ten years of my life has been dedicated to this band, its wierd how time flies by.

People keep herassing this album Because of the popular songs, i bet that if the singles from this album had'nt gone over as well as they did, the "oldschool" would have thought it to be a perfect album aswell(yes a bit stereotypical, there are fans that enjoy the old stuff as much as the new stuff, im one of them).

Next time i'll go see them i will definitly be more fond of songs from Americana. Dont you worry.

Well, yeah thats about it. Comments welcome!

findout5
12-16-2008, 05:40 AM
Music can have an impact on a lot of people's lifes. I feel the same!
Ixnay is the album of my adolescence!

Oxygene
12-16-2008, 07:09 AM
In just a few weeks it'll be 10 years since I first saw them live...it's fucking scary. Almost 15 years listeing to them...

Budzy
12-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Completely agreed. That's why it's my favourite album.

Cock Joke
12-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Americana is the first album I ever bought. I fuckin' love it!

nightvision
12-17-2008, 04:35 AM
I've always had very high thoughts about Americana but it's been a long time since I've listened through it. You inspired me Robin, I'm gonna listen to it the next time I'm going for a drive.

RobinoZombie
12-17-2008, 06:20 AM
that was my intention with this thread, so great!:D

Lynx
12-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Well...

Ten years ago? Yeah. 10 years ago I bought "greatest hits" of the Offspring. Oh, what a beautiful time it was :)!.. I heard a few Offs' songs before. So I discovered more of it)) Like "Nitro" (I love this drum-intro... and the song), "Have You Ever" (smells like Hard Rock at the begining), "Self Esteem" (wow, this is really cool thing), "Me & My Old Lady" etc. By the way this "Greatest hits" included all of "Smash"... But I didn't find the song I especially wanted - "The kids Aren't Alright". It's a masterpiece. It's a very great hit. I so love this song!.. Now stop.

Well, the first album I bought was "Ignition". So I just burned)) "We are One", "Dirty Magic", "L.A.P.D.", "No Hero", "Nothing From Something", "Forever And A Day" and others I still like.

Then I finally get "Americana". Oh... That was a big hit on me)) great)
Then - "Ixnay On The Hombre" (Gone Away, Amazed, Change The World, Me & My Old lady....... wow), "Beheaded" (The Offspring)...

So I became The Offspring fan:).

In 2000 I saw "Conspiracy Of One". "Not bad" - I said after listening. Especially "Come Out swinging", "Want You bad", "Living In Chaos", "Dammit I Changed Again" and "Original Prankster", "Denial Revisited".

Three long years I've been waiting for "the next chapter". "Splinter" was great, really great. I think It's better than "Conspiracy...")) "The Noose", "Hit That", "Race Against Myself" (one more "hard rock" thing at the same time as "Have You Ever", "Amazed", "Change The World"), "Never Gonna Find Me", "Lightning Rod" and "Spare Me The Details" are my favorite.

And finally "Rise And Fall Rage And Grace". MMm... At first I didn't understand it. Maybe it because I wait somewhat like "Splinter".... But after one day I played this songs! I think "A Lot Like Me" - the best. But there are "Half-truism", "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid", "Fix You", "Hammerhead", "Let's Hear It For Rock Bottom", "Rise and Fall".

Guys, The Offspring was the first band I start to listen. And The Offspring always was and will one of my favorite.

Hey, The Offspring! I love you, guys!!

Best wishes.

Oxygene
12-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Well...

Ten years ago? Yeah. 10 years ago I bought "greatest hits" of the Offspring. Oh, what a beautiful time it was :)!.. I heard a few Offs' songs before. So I discovered more of it)) Like "Nitro" (I love this drum-intro... and the song), "Have You Ever" (smells like Hard Rock at the begining), "Self Esteem" (wow, this is really cool thing), "Me & My Old Lady" etc. By the way this "Greatest hits" included all of "Smash"... But I didn't find the song I especially wanted - "The kids Aren't Alright". It's a masterpiece. It's a very great hit. I so love this song!.. Now stop.

Well, the first album I bought was "Ignition". So I just burned)) "We are One", "Dirty Magic", "L.A.P.D.", "No Hero", "Nothing From Something", "Forever And A Day" and others I still like.

Then I finally get "Americana". Oh... That was a big hit on me)) great)
Then - "Ixnay On The Hombre" (Gone Away, Amazed, Change The World, Me & My Old lady....... wow), "Beheaded" (The Offspring)...

So I became The Offspring fan:).

In 2000 I saw "Conspiracy Of One". "Not bad" - I said after listening. Especially "Come Out swinging", "Want You bad", "Living In Chaos", "Dammit I Changed Again" and "Original Prankster", "Denial Revisited".

Three long years I've been waiting for "the next chapter". "Splinter" was great, really great. I think It's better than "Conspiracy...")) "The Noose", "Hit That", "Race Against Myself" (one more "hard rock" thing at the same time as "Have You Ever", "Amazed", "Change The World"), "Never Gonna Find Me", "Lightning Rod" and "Spare Me The Details" are my favorite.

And finally "Rise And Fall Rage And Grace". MMm... At first I didn't understand it. Maybe it because I wait somewhat like "Splinter".... But after one day I played this songs! I think "A Lot Like Me" - the best. But there are "Half-truism", "You're Gonna Go Far, Kid", "Fix You", "Hammerhead", "Let's Hear It For Rock Bottom", "Rise and Fall".

Guys, The Offspring was the first band I start to listen. And The Offspring always was and will one of my favorite.

Hey, The Offspring! I love you, guys!!

Best wishes.

HAHA what an inspiring post! :)

Camilamazed
12-17-2008, 09:53 AM
In just a few weeks it'll be 10 years since I first saw them live...it's fucking scary. Almost 15 years listeing to them...

Welcome to the club, my friend. August 11, 1997 was the first time I saw them. November next year will complete 10 years of my second show. Is that fucking scary or what?

:o

On topic, I am glad I was able to feel everything throughout these years. I know how it feels like and I love it and do not regret my entire life (let's put it this ways) spent with the band.

bighead384
12-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Ten years ago, Pretty Fly For a White Guy was at the peak of it's popularity. It's approaching nostalgia-core status now, whereas before it was just a song that a lot of people don't want to hear anymore.

Oxygene
12-18-2008, 03:44 AM
Ten years ago, Pretty Fly For a White Guy was at the peak of it's popularity. It's approaching nostalgia-core status now, whereas before it was just a song that a lot of people don't want to hear anymore.

fuck a lot of people

RobinoZombie
12-18-2008, 04:07 AM
+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Omni
12-18-2008, 04:20 AM
Although the very first memory I have of listening to the Offspring was "Gotta Get Away" when my brother borrowed Smash from his friend in the mid-90s, I was really young and liked listening to anything he did, just because you always look up to the older kids. It was probably 2003 when I first heard the Offspring for myself on the radio. The song was "Original Prankster," and I didn't hear it again on the radio for another year, but always wondered who it was. When I heard it again with my brother in the car, he told me who it was. So I agree completely that their poppy, non-punk songs are instrumental, because if not for that song, I never would've gotten into their core sound. I liked it so much I downloaded all seven albums + an album worth of b-sides and covers on a 56K modem, one by one. After I graduated and got a job, I started collecting cds legitly, even though it's becoming an outdated form of media, I still like collecting them.