PDA

View Full Version : The Offspring-> The most succesfull punk band

zsk
12-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Did you know that the offspring is the most succesfull punk band ever?

holland25
12-17-2008, 06:21 AM
PUNK band? (not meant to start arguments).

zsk
12-17-2008, 06:26 AM
PUNK band? (not meant to start arguments).

WTF????:confused:

Ninty Man
12-17-2008, 06:35 AM
They are punk because they aren't PUNK AS FUCK

Free?
12-17-2008, 06:39 AM
It looks like zsk wanted to start a thread, but he was out of decent ideas so that's the best he came up with.

findout5
12-17-2008, 06:46 AM

Humn...Not.

sbazzone
12-17-2008, 06:53 AM
http://www.punknews.org/bands/theoffspring
http://www.pagina12.com.ar/diario/suplementos/no/12-3695-2008-10-23.html

"one of the"

Offspring-Junkie
12-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Smash was the most sold punk record worldwide, so I'd say, yes, they are the most successful punk band.

Alex101
12-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Smash was the most sold punk record worldwide, so I'd say, yes, they are the most successful punk band.
My thoughts exactly.

Jojan
12-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Since when did "->" mean "is"?

randman21
12-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Dookie sold more. Smash is just the highest selling indie album of all time.

Rutegard
12-17-2008, 08:07 AM

and offspring own that record, and the record for the most dowloaded song...

Alex101
12-17-2008, 08:09 AM
It's probably because Dookie was released on a major label. Not only that, but it achieved more success than Smash; however, I could be wrong. Also, Dookie was released before Smash anyway.

malibu43
12-17-2008, 10:20 AM
This is a perfect example of the kind of thread I posted about yesterday that is completely pointless and just clutters up the boards, burrying anything interested.

Good job!!!! Thumbs up!

:rolleyes:

Stylie
12-17-2008, 12:35 PM
The Offspring is ONE of the most successful punk bands ever. It's a shame that they're so "underrated". Sure, they were BIG back in the 90's, especially '94 and '98, but after that... =/ this band have made history.

Cock Joke
12-17-2008, 01:12 PM
We already knew that The Offspring is the greatest band ever.

Grimesy da Offspringfan
12-17-2008, 01:14 PM
The Offspring is the best band in this world ever, and without these guys i would die, so i don't give a fuck about their succes, which is actually pretty good. We can say that they're the 2nd most succesful but look at Gay Day, is that punk? Sure The Ofsfpring is not that punk, more like pop-punk-metal or something like that, and it's just a perfect combination. Wait, i did just say that? oh fuck me :D

Tomasisko
12-17-2008, 02:49 PM
"pop-punk" I hate that!

hangovered
12-17-2008, 03:16 PM
what I hate is this bitching: "this thread is pointless!we've been talking about this!" and so on.I know u guys who are here for ages talked about everything, but we,new members,didn't. Please stop yell at us just becouse we wanna talk about somethin connected to Off. With all due rispect, u don't have to participate to this discusions, just let us talk about it. I don't ussually meet ppl intersted in Off, so I was hoping I'll find them here. And i wasn't dissapointed,but all those coments just...please,let us talk about this without your bitching.
and yeah,unfortunately Gay Day is more succesfull than Off, but who cares? I like GD(please don't throw any shoe to me) but LOVE Off. That's all that cout,for me offcourse.

Tijs
12-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Did you know that the offspring is the most succesfull punk band ever?Uhm.. doesn't hurt to list some sources.

RageAndLov
12-17-2008, 03:34 PM
I'd say Offspring is one of the most successful bands in their genre (w/e that is, some kind of rock I guess), but not one of the most successful punk bands. They were perhaps punk once, but those days are gone.

You don't have to play punk to be a great band, which Offspring has shown!

Budzy
12-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Alright. The Offspring is like wat everyone else said, one, of the most successful punk bands, Greenday has sold more records, but besides them, The Offspring is the next one on the list (yeah?). And The Offspring will always be considered a punk band, because they are one of the bands that helped revive punk in the 90s, they produced a punk album that sold 16million, and even if they strayed from the exact genre of punk, they will always be considered a punk rock band. I'm sure they helped influence and inspire tons of other bands, and seriously no matter where you read they're always referred to as The Godfathers of Punk and shit like that.

hangovered
12-17-2008, 04:55 PM
if u compare Off to, for example, german punk bands, they not play punk. Punk born in Germany and what GB and US did with it is totally different. What happened in US in 90's was really important and affect to history of music, but even Smash is not what punk was when it born. Saying that what Off do now is not punk is weird for me. Everything is evolving, and maybe passing away, it's not like it was before, but honestly-would u like the album whitch would be the same as Smash? Or the albums of old punk bands-three acords and scream?I don't think so.

Free?
12-17-2008, 04:59 PM
That's just same old story.
What does it mean to be a punk band? What does punk mean to you? Depending on your own answer you may consider are Offspring punk or not.
For me punk is about trying to stay open-minded, not follow the majority just because it's the way it goes, not to be scared to say your word. You know, being a nice honest person.
Based on that I consider Offspring as a punk band.
punk=/=trupunx.

hangovered
12-17-2008, 05:11 PM
exectly. consider u may get me wrong, but that's what I'm trying to say. I don't wanna hear Smash again, or some old punk sound from the beginning. Maybe we can find some determinants of punk in wikipedia, soem guaidlines "what to do to be real punk band", but it's bullshit. If there's a rules, that's not punk. If u're doing things u wanna do, if u THINK, and make other people think, that's punk. And ofcourse u have to have a guitar;)

Omni
12-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Green Day is the most commercially successful punk rock act. I'd say the Offspring are handily second:

They've released the same number of albums, this is a count of their most to least successful albums(in the U.S):

Green Day: Dookie (Diamond [10x platinum])
The Offspring: Smash (6x platinum)

Green Day: American Idiot (5x platinum)
The Offspring: Americana (5x platinum)

Green Day: Insomniac (2x platinum)
The Offspring: Conspiracy of One (Platinum)

Green Day: Nimrod. (2x platinum)
The Offspring: Ixnay on the Hombre (Platinum)

Green Day: Warning: (Gold)
The Offspring: Ignition (Gold)

Green Day: Kerplunk! (Gold*)
The Offspring: Splinter (Gold)

Green Day: 1,089 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours (Gold)
The Offspring: Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace (Uncertified)

Green Day: Shennanigans (Uncertified)
The Offspring: The Offspring (Uncertified)

Green Day: International Superhits! (Platinum)
The Offspring: Greatest Hits (Gold)

*Wikipedia has Kerplunk! as Platinum, but in the Kerplunk! album article it says the album has only sold 699,000 copies and says nothing about being platinum. So I'm just going to go ahead and say Gold.

Green Day's estimated world sales: 65,000,000
The Offspring's estimated world sales: 42,000,000

As an interesting side note: Dookie has sold 15,000,000 copies worldwide. Smash has sold 16,000,000. So technically, I suppose it *is* the bestselling punk rock album of all time, if Wikipedia is telling the truth. American Idiot has also sold 15,000,000 worldwide, tying Dookie, although it only sold half as much in the U.S, and Americana doesn't compete with either, having sold 11,000,000 worldwide. Despite this, Green Day has still sold more combined albums worldwide, and has seen more success in America.

brian.offspring
12-17-2008, 06:32 PM

yes.......

bouncingcoles
12-17-2008, 08:13 PM

no they arent......

PunksKillEmos
12-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Damn, I am telling you guys, SHIT IS FUCKED UP, honestly if you a true fan of any band, their success doesn't matter. Hell a small local band could be your favorite band in the world, and they would have no sales. So Fuck America and Fuck you!

jacknife737
12-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Gay Day

Ok, someone totally needs to start an all gay Green Day cover band now. Ie, like Black Fag who cover Black Flag songs.

Also, mods, please close and delete this thread.

hangovered
12-18-2008, 04:27 AM
Ok, someone totally needs to start an all gay Green Day cover band now. Ie, like Black Fag who cover Black Flag songs.

Also, mods, please close and delete this thread.

Errr...what? Sorry but I don't understand?

Rutegard
12-18-2008, 04:48 AM
what I hate is this bitching: "this thread is pointless!we've been talking about this!" and so on.I know u guys who are here for ages talked about everything, but we,new members,didn't. Please stop yell at us just becouse we wanna talk about somethin connected to Off. With all due rispect, u don't have to participate to this discusions, just let us talk about it. I don't ussually meet ppl intersted in Off, so I was hoping I'll find them here. And i wasn't dissapointed,but all those coments just...please,let us talk about this without your bitching.
and yeah,unfortunately Gay Day is more succesfull than Off, but who cares? I like GD(please don't throw any shoe to me) but LOVE Off. That's all that cout,for me offcourse.

you are right.
if you don't want to participate, then just go away and let others have some fun.

sbazzone
12-18-2008, 04:59 AM
*Wikipedia has Kerplunk! as Platinum, but in the Kerplunk! album article it says the album has only sold 699,000 copies and says nothing about being platinum. So I'm just going to go ahead and say Gold.

Green Day's estimated world sales: 65,000,000
The Offspring's estimated world sales: 42,000,000

As an interesting side note: Dookie has sold 15,000,000 copies worldwide. Smash has sold 16,000,000. So technically, I suppose it *is* the bestselling punk rock album of all time, if Wikipedia is telling the truth. American Idiot has also sold 15,000,000 worldwide, tying Dookie, although it only sold half as much in the U.S, and Americana doesn't compete with either, having sold 11,000,000 worldwide. Despite this, Green Day has still sold more combined albums worldwide, and has seen more success in America.

en wiki is not saying truth at all.
smash sold 11 million --> http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/bio
estimated sales is 32 million + RAFRAG --> http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/bio

Who write there simply is not able to read.
The 40million cited on offspring page say as reference this --> http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/bio but it say 32...

Rutegard
12-18-2008, 05:02 AM
Who write there simply is not able to read.

and so maybe the green day sales are also wrong

Offspring-Junkie
12-18-2008, 06:08 AM
Ok, I correct myself: The Offspring ISN'T the most successful punk band in any kind of way. BUT THEY ARE THE DAMN BEST! And you all know that. Thanks for the attention.

Amiralanal
12-18-2008, 06:16 AM
Ok, I correct myself: The Offspring ISN'T the most successful punk band in any kind of way. BUT THEY ARE THE DAMN BEST! And you all know that. Thanks for the attention.

Here here!

zsk
12-18-2008, 07:18 AM
The Offspring is ONE of the most successful punk bands ever. It's a shame that they're so "underrated". Sure, they were BIG back in the 90's, especially '94 and '98, but after that... =/ this band have made history.

list some punk bands that were succesfuller

zsk
12-18-2008, 07:20 AM
Alright. The Offspring is like wat everyone else said, one, of the most successful punk bands, Greenday has sold more records, but besides them, The Offspring is the next one on the list (yeah?). And The Offspring will always be considered a punk band, because they are one of the bands that helped revive punk in the 90s, they produced a punk album that sold 16million, and even if they strayed from the exact genre of punk, they will always be considered a punk rock band. I'm sure they helped influence and inspire tons of other bands, and seriously no matter where you read they're always referred to as The Godfathers of Punk and shit like that.

but green day isn't punk!!!
the offspring are still!

jacknife737
12-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Errr...what? Sorry but I don't understand?

To be blunt; it would amuse me if a group of homosexual men, formed a Green Day cover band; but played up the gimmick that they were all gay.

The band Black Flag, already has such a group that is dedicated to covering their material, they're called "Black Fag". http://www.myspace.com/blackfag

Edit: Also mods, close this, kthanks.

Free?
12-18-2008, 09:30 AM

First, please define what does "punk band" mean to you? It really depends on personal opinions.

findout5
12-18-2008, 10:33 AM

Sex Pistols -Influenced Gazillions of bands, including Offspring! If there's list of bands that influenced bands, The Offspring wouldn't be there, but the Sex Pistols would be!

The Clash - Even more influential than the Sex Pistols. And they influenced with their attitude as much as they did with theiR varied music. They are also more credible than the Sex Pistols, cos' they didn't form as a boy band!

The Ramones - Very influent! And, dare I say it, they SAVED THE WORLD from Abba and disco! I'd vote them as Nš1! They didn't really invent punk rock, but were one of the first to do it (before them only...The Stooges and MC5).

Green Day - They've sold a lot more than The Offspring and are also more influential! And if you say they're not punk...well then I gues you know who aren't for the same reasons!

Nirvana - I know I'm pushing it here...:p

That said, I do like The Offspring more than those other artists! But, unfortunately they won't be as remembered as well as them.

dff_punk
12-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Nice list, but I would put Bad Religion and NOFX instead of GD and Nirvana. But.. respecting your opinion :p

randman21
12-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Here here!
...Where?

hangovered
12-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Nice list, but I would put Bad Religion and NOFX instead of GD and Nirvana. But.. respecting your opinion :p

Bad Religion is punk. Nirvana ISN'T. But Green Day is. It's funny, I can't answer the question "what punk is", but I can sense whitch bands are punk and whitch aren't. For me, offcourse. Also I think in Europe punk is more... "severe" than in US, maybe that's the reason some of us don't think Off or GD are punk bands.

dff_punk
12-18-2008, 01:45 PM
I think it's like that mainly in our slavic countries, the "strict" understanding of punk. I heard that even in Austria there are Blink-182 fans with mohawks and stuff. Here, people hear something more melodic and it isn't "punk" for them anymore.

hangovered
12-18-2008, 01:51 PM
I think it's like that mainly in our slavic countries, the "strict" understanding of punk. I heard that even in Austria there are Blink-182 fans with mohawks and stuff. Here, people hear something more melodic and it isn't "punk" for them anymore.

yeah,like I said somewhere, three acords and SCREAAAAAAAM! :D I think how band sounds doesn't say already if it's punk or not. What they say in their songs is. And suprisingly the joke-songs or songs about tomatos can be more important that some "I love u,u love me,that means we love each other,uuuu" pop/pop-rock songs.

EDIT: And jacknife737, why u wanna close this thread so badly?

dff_punk
12-18-2008, 01:56 PM
People don't percieve much the english lyrics around here, unless there is something like "fuck"... When you play to the "orthodox" punkers here some NOFX or Bad Religion, whose lyrics are what I call real punk, they reject it cause it's melodic and commercial.

hangovered
12-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Becouse when someone sells albums and earning money are "sell outs";) and when you make melodic music you're pop band. Hmmm, now question-how to explain the phenomen of Nirvana? I know, it's grounge, but it's melodic and they have a lot of money, didn't they?I think the biggest problem is not knowing the language. For me music is empty without lirycs, I can't imagine how u can like some band without knowing what they are talking about in their songs.

dff_punk
12-18-2008, 03:15 PM
I guess it has a lot to do with Kurt Cobain's charisma. Also, there is something really "unique" in their songs, but I can't explain what. Something what tells you when you hear that song "Yeah, that could be none other than Nirvana."

iPunk247
12-18-2008, 09:51 PM
does it really matter? is it that important? is it very cute? its so adorable!!! xD i don't give a fucken shit though as long as the band still make great hits....

SweetTatyana
12-19-2008, 02:42 PM
does it really matter? is it that important? is it very cute? its so adorable!!! xD i don't give a fucken shit though as long as the band still make great hits....

yaya as long as the band is happy where they are and they still tour I am happy :)