PDA

View Full Version : The essential Offspring?

Omni
12-18-2008, 04:40 AM
I like making custom cds, but whenever I say I'm going to make an Offspring cd, it's insanely hard to find a reasonable amount to put on cd. I like generally every song on every album with the exception of one or two, and maybe one I "tolerate" but not really like. The Offspring have remained my favorite band because they're the only band I've found who can consistently do that. I'm extremely picky, so I consider an album a success if I like only half the songs, and can't stand the rest. So it's not unusual for some of my favorite bands with multiple albums to only have 20 or so songs I like.

But I've decided to make this one count. Give me your ideas of the absolute essential Offspring. When I say essential, I don't mean the popular songs (which are important) like Pretty Fly or You're Gonna Go Far, Kid. I say there are usually two or three essential Offspring songs on every album. They're the songs that, when listening to the Offspring in their entirety, define the band's sound throughout their 25+ year career. The songs you listen to and think "This can be no one but the Offspring." I'd like some of you to help me. Here's what I have:

RaFRaG:
Half-Truism
Hammerhead

I didn't include Trust in You, which I'm sure a lot of you would have, because I think it's too reminiscent of Smash. Not that it's a bad thing, but I'm trying to be choosy here. I was thinking of adding Takes Me Nowhere and Stuff is Messed Up. What do you think?

Splinter:
The Noose
Lightning Rod

Race Against Myself is one of my favorite Offspring songs, and I consider it a classic. But when looking at the rest of the lineup, it's really out of place. Should I add Head Around You?

Conspiracy of One:
Come Out Swinging
Million Miles Away
Living in Chaos

Should I add Conspiracy of One?

Americana:
Staring at the Sun
The Kids Aren't Alright
Americana

Didn't add Pay the Man, because despite it's brilliance, it's really not part of the orthodox Offspring sound, so it won't be added. I really need help with this album. Have You Ever may need to be added (especially since it ties with Staring at the Sun). And since this album is almost perfectly balanced between their punk and pop sound, I feel as though I should add She's Got Issues or maybe even Pretty Fly so the pop side of their soundcan be represented. What do you think?

Ixnay:
Gone Away
All I Want
Amazed
Change the World

I'm pretty happy with this selection. Every other song is either non-fitting or just a typical angry punk rocker. I Choose is debatable, but thats the only one

Smash:
Gotta Get Away
Come Out and Play
Self-Esteem

I hate to choose the three most popular songs, but those are the best ones, imo. I could add Smash, but I don't see any others making the list.

Ignition:
Kick Him When He's Down
Dirty Magic

I will not add Forever and a Day. I fucking hate that song. Need a lot of help on this one, too

The Offspring:
To be honest, I think everything on this album is generic 80s punk rock, and even though I like a few songs, I wouldn't consider any of them "elite."

Others:
Can't Repeat
Defy You

Let's try to keep it at 25 songs or less.

FunkFromRussia
12-18-2008, 07:50 AM
also DUI and Mission From God :) Thats pretty good songs, imo :)

dff_punk
12-18-2008, 09:58 AM
I kinda like the list, but I wonder why Dammit, I Changed Again is not included, that IS essential offspring, imho.

jacknife737
12-18-2008, 10:07 AM
The lack of I Choose on your list disturbs me greatly.

Concerning Ignition, any compilation void of Forever and a Day is automatically incomplete in my eyes; however, i'd suggest thinking about Session or LAPD.

As for their self-titled, i'd suggest thinking about adding "Beheaded" since that song seems to be the track that established the band's sense of humor when it came to certain songs.

holland25
12-18-2008, 10:19 AM
Crossroads and Tehran or Blackball would be a nice addition.

Free?
12-18-2008, 10:26 AM
RAFRAG - Hammerhead, Stuff Is Messed Up, Half-Truism
Splinter - none. Really I don't find any song on Spliter would be essential Offspring.
Conspiracy of One - Dammit, I Changed again, Come Out Swinging and (maybe) Vultures.
Americana. Well, that's a tough one ;p. Have You Ever, Staring At The Sun, The Kids Aren't Alright, Feelings, Walla Walla, No Brakes, WDYGAJ, Americana. But the rest of the album is classic Offspring as well. How the heck can it be not essential when it was the first album most of us ever heard and grown with it?!
Ixnay - The Meaning Of Life, Gone Away, I Choose, All I Want, Cool To Hate, Amazed, Change The World.
Smash - Bad Habit, Gotta Get Away, Genocide, Come Out And Play, Self Esteem.
Ignition - Session, Kick Him When He's Down, Dirty Magic, L.A.P.D.
S/T - Jeniffer Lost The War, Beheaded.
And DUI of course.
I've tried to be as limited as possible, sorry, but I couldn't fit into 20-songs minimum :}.

MAXTER
12-18-2008, 10:38 AM
i'd try more essential possible:

01 - Session
02 - Dirty Magic
03 - Come Out And Play
04 - Bad Habit
05 - Self Esteem
06 - All I Want
07 - Gone Away
08 - The Kids Aren't Alright
09 - Pretty Fly
10 - Why Don't You Get A Job
11 - Want You Bad
12 - Million Miles Away
13 - Dammit, I Changed Again
14 - Defy You
15 - The Noose
16 - Can't Repeat
17 - Hammerhead
18 - You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
19 - Stuff Is Messed Up
20 - ...............................:rolleyes:

Blackball_
12-18-2008, 12:51 PM
i'd try more essential possible:

20 - ...............................:rolleyes:

surely #20 is for pass me by.. everybodies favourite song that theyve never actually heard :D

Jaded skies
12-18-2008, 02:55 PM
1.Crossroads
2.I'll be waiting
3.Get it right
4.Forever and a day
5.Genocide
6.self esteem
7. leave it behind
8. gone away
9. i choose
10. all i want
11.have you ever
12.the kids arent alright
13. no brakes
14. all along
15. race against myself
16. never gonna find me
17. trust in you
18. youre gonna go far kid
19. takes me nowhere
20. Huck it

Omni
12-18-2008, 05:59 PM
The lack of I Choose on your list disturbs me greatly.

Concerning Ignition, any compilation void of Forever and a Day is automatically incomplete in my eyes; however, i'd suggest thinking about Session or LAPD.

As for their self-titled, i'd suggest thinking about adding "Beheaded" since that song seems to be the track that established the band's sense of humor when it came to certain songs.

My problem is fitting the songs on a cd that I could still listen to in one sitting. Any more than 25 songs is just overwhelming, which is why I didn't include I Choose. And I already explained, I just fucking detest Forever and a Day, so I didn't include it. But I knew someone would say Ignition wasn't complete without it. Session or L.A.P.D may be good additions.

And again, I know many of you think the S/T album has many a gem, but I really don't like anything from it enough to put on here with the rest. Goddammit this is irritating. I really want to make a good mixed Offspring cd for me and my friends to listen to, but they just have too many good songs to keep it within reason.

Cock Joke
12-18-2008, 06:05 PM
Maybe you can make multiple volumes.

Smash_Returns
12-18-2008, 09:55 PM
A vast majority of the "Essential <band>" albums are 2-disc, and the Offspring definately need a 2-disc greatest hits (the current GH is missing songs left and right)

Disc 1:
1. Blackball
2. I'll Be Waiting
3. Beheaded
4. Dirty Magic
5. Kick Him When He's Down
6. Nitro (Youth Energy)
7. Gotta Get Away
8. Genocide
9. Come Out And Play (Keep 'Em Seperated)
10. Self Esteem
11. Smash
12. The Meaning Of Life
13. Cool To Hate
14. Gone Away
15. All I Want
16. Da Hui
17. I Choose

Disc 2:
1. The Kids Aren't Alright
2. Why Don't You Get A Job?
3. Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)
4. Shes Got Issues
5. Original Prankster
6. Dammit, I Changed Again
7. Want You Bad
8. Million Miles Away
9. Defy You
10. Can't Repeat
11. Hit That
12. (Can't Get My) Head Around You
13. Spare Me The Details
14. The Noose
15. Lightning Rod
16. Hammerhead
17. You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
18. Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?

Omni
12-19-2008, 05:38 AM
Yeah, you're probably right. However, the Greatest Hits cd isn't missing much, since "Greatest Hits" is for their successful radio songs only. If it were a "Best of" album, then it'd be missing a shit-ton.

_KOCOBO_
12-19-2008, 05:56 AM
1. elders,out on patrol
2. get it right,burn it up,nothing from something,forever and a day
3. nitro,bad habit,gotta get away,come out and play,self esteem,it'll be long time,smash
4.the meaning of life,mota,all i want,change the world
5. have you ever,staring at the sun,the kids aren't alright
6. million miles away,dammit i change again,living in chaos
7.the noose,lightning rod,da hui,CGMHAY
8.can't repeat,defy you
9.Half-truism,trust in you,you're gonna go far,kid ,hammerhead,takes me nowhere,let's hear it for the rock bottom

Oxygene
12-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Essential Offspring I put together for my boss before we went to see them at hradec kralove in czech:

I think it is essential for those who don't know the band:
Half-Truism
Hammerhead
Neocon
The Noose
(Can't Get My) Head Around You
Spare Me The Details
The Kids Aren't Alright (BBC Recording)
Bad Habit
Gotta Get Away
Come Out and Play
Self-Esteem
The Meaning of Life
Gone Away
All I Want
Way Down the Line
Original Prankster
Want You Bad
Million Miles Away
Dammit I Changed Again
One Fine Day
Kick Him When He's Down
Have You Ever
Staring at the Sun
Pretty Fly (For a White Guy)
The Kids Aren't Alright
Americana
Trust In You
You're Gonna Go Far, Kid
Why Don't You Get a Job?

SweetTatyana
12-19-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm sorry, any essential offspring should have session! :)

kill the president
12-19-2008, 06:39 PM
disc 1
1. Hammerhead
2.Kill The President
3. Smash (song)
4. Gotta Get Away
5. Jennifer Lost The War
6. Session
7. So Alone
8. Blackball
9. Change The World
10. Elders
11. Self Esteem
12. Tehran
13. Crossroads
14. Amazed
disc 2
1. Come Out And Play
2. I'll Be Waiting
3. I Choose
3. Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)
4. Beheaded
5. Trust In You
6. Genocide
7. A Thousand Days
8. Demons
9. Something To Belive In
10. Bad Habit
11. Out On Patrol
12. Takes Me Nowhere
13. The Meaning Of Life
14. Not The One

kill the president
12-19-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm sorry, any essential offspring should have session! :)

it does now! ;p

mat.kc.
12-19-2008, 11:45 PM
My essential Offspring:

01.) Tehran
02.) Beheaded
03.) Kill The President
04.) Dirty Magic
05.) L.A.P.D.
06.) Come Out & Play
07.) Self-Esteem
08.) Gotta Get Away