PDA

View Full Version : Error Database

Blitzkrieg Bop
12-18-2008, 08:39 AM
For the last two days, around the same time, a database error appears while I am on the boards. The error lasts for a couple of minutes and then everything returns back to normal. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Rutegard
12-18-2008, 08:42 AM
it also happened the same to me for the last two days

Little_Miss_1565
12-18-2008, 09:54 AM
If it's around 2 AM EST, it happens to everyone. I think it's because there's daily database maintenance.

administrator_old
12-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Yes, the DB requires a bit of short maintenance daily including index rebuilds. It's also part of our backup window for disaster recovery. It used to be so fast it was not noticeable but with the massive growth in posts, it takes a little bit longer these days.

Blitzkrieg Bop
12-18-2008, 10:56 AM
If it's around 2 AM EST, it happens to everyone. I think it's because there's daily database maintenance.

Yes, the DB requires a bit of short maintenance daily including index rebuilds. It's also part of our backup window for disaster recovery. It used to be so fast it was not noticeable but with the massive growth in posts, it takes a little bit longer these days.

Thank you for getting back to me :)

The Talking Pie
12-18-2008, 11:14 AM

Out of curiosity, are the maintenance tasks run as a script from the web or a cron job on the server? Only, at the moment I rely on user visits triggering database maintenance if X number of seconds (usually amounting to one day) have elapsed since the last maintenance job. It's all done quick enough that the user is none the wiser, but the database is bulking up and soon I'll have to seek other methods of lazily maintaining the back-end.

Cock Joke
12-18-2008, 12:06 PM
The site has been going too slow lately and it's really annoying!

Cock Joke
12-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Yea um...you really need to fix teh slowness. kthx.

Little_Miss_1565
12-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Good news, Cock Joke! There's something you can do about the server's speed! The number of threads with hundreds if not thousands of replies have greatly impacted the server's performance in the recent past. If fewer people participated in things like song vs. song threads on the forum, I bet that would help.

Ryder1234
12-19-2008, 09:35 PM
I've always wondered why the threads that were closed due to having more than 2000 posts were only locked. I can see something like the photo album being kept, but song vs. song? why wasn't it just deleted? Or are deleted threads just put in a sub forum that only mods can see or something like that, so it wouldn't make a difference?

D0Kl3_th3_PUNK
12-19-2008, 09:37 PM
does anyone know dexter or noodles email or anything? just wondering? and also anyone know where i can find the 2009 touring schedule

Little_Miss_1565
12-19-2008, 10:28 PM
I've always wondered why the threads that were closed due to having more than 2000 posts were only locked. I can see something like the photo album being kept, but song vs. song? why wasn't it just deleted? Or are deleted threads just put in a sub forum that only mods can see or something like that, so it wouldn't make a difference?

Well, song vs. song and threads like it don't really fall into the same categories as the other posts we delete. I deal with only a few aspects on the front-end, though, and our friend Administrator is the back-end guru. If he thinks the server speed is a problem and won't improve without deleting some threads, we can do that. But I think we'd like to avoid doing that.

The Talking Pie
12-20-2008, 12:31 PM
If he thinks the server speed is a problem and won't improve without deleting some threads, we can do that. But I think we'd like to avoid doing that.

It depends on the type of database used and the kind of queries run on it during the normal course of generating the HTML of a thread / index list / etc. One could argue that if a thread is hidden it's not being touched and so won't slow anything down, but then if they're *too* big, that just adds extra bulk to the DB for the script to search through. Of course, it all depends on the queries as to how much of an issue dead-weight threads actually are.