PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl-discography (info on rare offspring-vinyls)

dexter85
12-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi co-fans!

For a long time I’ve been meaning to make some sort of “vinyl-discography”, where you can read about the rare Offspring-releases. Sadly there aren’t really any official information, so I just gathered information from different sites and forums, and judged how reliable the sources and information were. I invite you to correct the information or add new information. I just want to emphasize that, I’ve read a lot of debates about how many copies were made and years of release (e.g. “The Were Born to Kill”) and I assessed the discussions with other information, before I decided what the most reliable information was.

Here goes:

I’ll Be Waiting/Blackball.
Released: 1986.
Copies: 1000.
Further info: 500 copies are with sleeve, 500 are without sleeve. The sleeves were glued together by the band-members and their friends.

The Offspring.
Released: 1989.
Copies: 5000 (but according to Offspring.com only 3000 copies were sold.)
Further info: 2000 were released on Nemesis Records without the Cargo-logo on the back. So I guess 3000 were released with the Cargo-logo. Do any of you know the difference between the LP with and without the Cargo-logo? The only info I could find was that the first pressings were released on Nemesis Records (without the Cargo-logo.) However, Nemesis Records belongs to Cargo Records as far as I know.

They Were Born To Kill.
Released: 1991.
Copies: I don’t know the numbers.
Further info: It was printed on red, grey, black and purple vinyl. It’s a bootleg with the two demos “Jennifer Lost The War” and “Out On Patrol” from the Tehran demo cassette which was released in 1988.

Baghdad.
Released: 1991.
Copies: 3000.
Further info: 2700-2750 copies were printed on black vinyl, 250-300 on clear vinyl.

I’ll Be Waiting/Blackball – reissued.
Released: 1994.
Copies: 3000 (according to holland25)

The Offspring – reissued.
Released: 1995.
Copies: 2000 on red vinyl. More were printed on black vinyl but I don’t know the numbers.

RageAndLov
12-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Ixnay On The Hombre
Released: 1997
Copies: I don't know
Further info: Contains a song called Cocktail that is not present on the CD Version.

Rise And Fall, Rage And Grace
Released: 2008
Copies: I don't know
Further info: On the LP Kristy, Are You Doing Okay and Takes Me Nowhere were track 5 and 6 respectively and A Lot Like Me was track 1 on side B. On the CD A Lot Like Me was track 5, Takes Me Nowhere track 6 and Kristy, Are You Doing Okay track 7.

Blackball_
12-26-2008, 12:19 PM
The Offspring.
Released: 1989.
Copies: 5000 (but according to Offspring.com only 3000 copies were sold.)
Further info: 2000 were released on Nemesis Records without the Cargo-logo on the back. So I guess 3000 were released with the Cargo-logo. Do any of you know the difference between the LP with and without the Cargo-logo? The only info I could find was that the first pressings were released on Nemesis Records (without the Cargo-logo.) However, Nemesis Records belongs to Cargo Records as far as I know.

Hello. Yes, its 3000 copies in total of this. I believe it says 5000 in one of those unnoficial biography cd/booklets you can buy. A lot of websites just repeated the stuff from these cds, and other websites copied, and the 5000 figure seemed to be correct.. more repeating until true rather than being a well sourced fact.

around the time conspiracy of one came out, dexter was interviewed on the punk show on radio 1. i cant remember the name of the guy that does the interview (mike davies i think..) and i havent found a copy of the interview. anyway, during the interview, mike (??) does an offspring-quiz on dexter, which i think was taken from the "dexters labatory" website which was made by that really nutty fan who also made some stop motion videos, crazy artwork, and just generally off the wall entertaining stuff.

he answered the question to how many 1989s with "3000" and they ended up arguring (jokingly) with mike (??) saying he had it down as 5000... i think dexter ended up getting 6 or 7 out of 10. those questions were fuckin hard :D.

the fact the official site also repeats this is good enough for me. thusly.. nemesis came out vinyl in 1989 in 3000 copies, and the ones with the cargo logo are just reissues. no idea of numbers, but its assumed it came out in 1995.

there have been several cds (and tapes) being sold on ebay claiming to be the first album and appear to be slightly legit but have mostly been passed off as good bootlegs, etc.. however someone has scanned some old magazines (maximum rnr?) which show adverts and release info for the first offspring album.. also available on cassette.

bon appetit!

dexter85
12-26-2008, 03:55 PM
It doesn't make sense if the one with the Cargo logo is from '95 because the release from '95 is the one with the aliens/childrens on the front cover.
http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/history
The self-titled album was released on Nitro Records - not Cargo Records.

Blackball_
12-26-2008, 05:27 PM
the ones that say cargo are reissues, or repressings.. if it only says nemesis, then its from 89. everything else about these records is identical (artwork etc). nobody knows when the cargo reissue came out, but its usually guessed at 1995, for whatever reason. it might even have came out at the same time... but nemesis 89s usually go for a lot more than nemesis/cargos, (for comparison, the cargo S/Ts are usually seen as the "cousin" of the headhunter baghdad or the limited reissue of the ill be waiting/blackball).

the 95 on nitro are re-releases... re-packagings. whatever. obviously this is the stuff thats still in print today. dark bluey/grey cover with green writing. then to confuse, they decide to take kill the president off this later, to the point there is atleast 6 differant versions of this album out (nemesis, nemesis cargo, nitro red, nitro black.... then cd with KTP, cd wthout KTP.. i dont know if nitro still put this out on vinyl or cassette with the updated tracklisting)