PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Your Band in 2009!

Vera
12-29-2008, 03:28 PM
1) Artist of the Month

As a way of extra promotion for certain artists, I was thinking of making one artist/band the artist of the month and having a sticky thread for them with youtube links/download links/whatever and maybe some kind of description/bio. The sticky would be up for one month, then unstickied and another band of the month to step in.

Caveats:
- Breaks the "one thread per band rule"
- Possible accusations of favouritism! I wouldn't let just anybody become artist of the month... Quality of the music, activity as a board member, behavior on the board, all these would factor into who gets selected. If Bella decided she wanted to participate in this, she'd get her say, too, of course.

But the poll's up there so vote, let me know what you think.

2) Cover contest/challenge

I'd love to get a modern day cover song for a certain TV show theme tune I love and was thinking, instead of begging you guys to make one for me, I could instead arrange a challenge type thing with something little as a prize to win for the best cover. But then, I dunno how legal such a thing would be. Or what the prize would be.. I have some Offspring memorabilia but does anybody want it is another question.

3) Bi-annualizing BBS mixtapes officially

This is definitely happening. Next one come spring/early summer! :D

Free?
12-29-2008, 03:44 PM
It's nice to see that you're trying to make your section more interesting, Vera!

Too bad that "Your Band" isn't quite an active section. There are usually very few living threads with random 1-post "check out my band" wonders.
Thibault, Homer, Static Martyr, randman, Raptor88 (sorry, if I did forget someone) seem to be the only artists that can survive for long time simply because they aren't only musicians or only boards members. They are both, they visit the forum regularly and they keep writing music.
But, maybe, people will get more excited about the competition idea and activity will grow.

Anyways thumbzup! \m/

The idea is great, but I'm unsure if it will work ;]

_Lost_
12-29-2008, 05:03 PM
i think this is a great idea! I'm working on some new music because I'm bored (and being pushed by certain board members :p). Its much more intricate type stuff (some of it). Hopefully I'll start demoing it this week.

Rooster
12-29-2008, 05:46 PM
I like this idea. And speaking of the next mixtape, i think my band will have at least 2 demo songs finished by then (well, probably more, but i can't guarantee anything), so one of them could make it on the tape (self-destruction possibly). I have tons of riffs by now, and some basic melodies for few other songs...

edit: Free, i feel honoured :D

randman21
12-29-2008, 07:45 PM
Class A ideas.

1)
Could you explain how it would break the "one thread per band" rule. Maybe I'm a little slow today.

Anyway, I would say this is a great feature, although one should not be afraid of having repeat (not necessarily consecutive) winners. Unless this attracts new Your Band users, it seems unavoidable.

2)
This is my fave. Homer loves covering games, and I LOVE cover TV themes. I'd really like to know the one you're thinking of, even if you'd disqualify that song from the contest. Anyway, it's 100% legal to cover any song ever without permission, as long as there's no money to be made from it. It's all about the dolla dolla bill, y'all.

I have some Offspring memorabilia but does anybody want it is another question.Yes.
3)
Just great. I'd love to have it triannually or even four times a year, but I can handle every six months.

Llamas
12-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I approve of all proposals. I think such ideas would increase my visiting to this section of the bbs. :)

Vera
12-30-2008, 04:43 AM
randman - It'd break the one thread per band rule because I'd like to make a new topic for it instead of just stickying the band's existing topic. Mainly because quite often those are just "hi check out ma band [myspace link]" with no other info. I'd like for the topics to be a little bit of info, download links, performance links..

And wouldn't the prize technically be profit? That's why I'm not sure if I should just make it a challenge but I want there to be something in it for you guys for you guys because just asking for you to play stuff I'd like to hear seems very selfish.

Static_Martyr
12-30-2008, 04:50 AM
I am down with this idea....and as for the covers, I tend to do more wacky/offbeat game tunes (rock-ish versions of stuff like the Persona series and Star Ocean 1 and 2...'cuz 3 sucks balls~). So I could still do covers without forcing a competition into anyone else's "niche," so to speak :D

And jah, I'm always down with more mixtapes~ Found some old stuff from a year or so ago this morning, been listening to it....I'm thinking of re-recording it in slightly higher fidelity/better mix. That would definitely be mixtape material, I think~ Good stuff, it is.

On a side note, the Saturday before this last one was Static Martyr's 1-year anniversary!! We officially formed on 12/20/07. We've officially survived for a whole year, and we're actually still recording schtuff, yay! I seriously didn't think that would happen.

Free?
12-30-2008, 05:18 AM
I don't know what kind of prize you think of, but having a personal sticky thread for a month isn't a bad reward.
But again, I see it will happen as we'll run out of bands or there will be bands that will stay on top for several months.

P.S. Gratz Tim, long way to go! :)

randman21
12-30-2008, 07:32 AM
randman - It'd break the one thread per band rule because I'd like to make a new topic for it instead of just stickying the band's existing topic. Mainly because quite often those are just "hi check out ma band [myspace link]" with no other info. I'd like for the topics to be a little bit of info, download links, performance links..

Now I see. Sounds good.

And wouldn't the prize technically be profit?Heh, yeah I thought about that a bit later. That's a tough call. For the record, though, most of us would probably be okay with no prize. A good cover in itself would be enough for me. :cool:

Vera
12-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Free?, no, the challenge isn't related to the band of the month thing..

I asked a lawyer and she was unsure, saying technically it could be illegal but since it's so low level low scale, she doubted anybody would find out OR care.

I'd rather not do illegal stuff but since it is so low level, why not. Was thinking of giving away my Huck It DVD, btw.

Free?
12-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Oh, alright, I got it now I think.
How will the artist of the month be picked up? Will there be a pole, or you'll choose one personally?

Will the prize have your autograph on it? :]

ad8
12-30-2008, 09:12 AM
3)
Just great. I'd love to have it triannually or even four times a year, but I can handle every six months.
Me too.

And jah, I'm always down with more mixtapes~ Found some old stuff from a year or so ago this morning, been listening to it....I'm thinking of re-recording it in slightly higher fidelity/better mix. That would definitely be mixtape material, I think~ Good stuff, it is.
Oh yeah! I'm looking forward to it:)
...by the way, congratulations on your first birthday;)

Vera: I like the ideas, but there are 2 things that jumped into my mind when I read this thread:

1. Your propositions sound very good, but I don't know if this will attract more new people to Your Band. I think that a thread in GC would be helpful(some information about the Your Band scene and updates on the Band of the month awards / BBS Mixtapes). I think that Your Band would be more active if some users from GC / GOD would post here, but I guess that they hardly know about the things going on in Your Band. So we need something like a publicity stunt in GC/GOD:D

2. I like the idea of the cover contest, but wouldn't the shipment costs kill you?

Vera
12-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Depends, really. I think sending one measly DVD to a place like US from Europe would be like 7 dollars, so not that much. Within Europe it's probably cheaper. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be that much..

T-6005
12-30-2008, 03:28 PM
I am in full support of all of these ideas.
I also appreciate being mentioned as one of the staple musicians even though I haven't done anything aside from the mixtape or even for a bit before.
I second the motion to have a Your Band presence in GC, though the fact that it doesn't belong there is a pretty compelling argument against it. So I guess we as flamboyant artistes would have to have a subtle Your Band promotion in GC?

ad8
01-02-2009, 05:53 AM
I second the motion to have a Your Band presence in GC, though the fact that it doesn't belong there is a pretty compelling argument against it. So I guess we as flamboyant artistes would have to have a subtle Your Band promotion in GC?

Yeah, I thought of that, too. Vera, have you already discussed this with JoY and the mods from GC?