PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to the Dirty Magic remake?

RODNEYMULLEN
12-30-2008, 12:14 AM
Remember back in one of the old journals, dexter pretty much told us they would release it. But then they never did. I'd forgotten about that until now.

Budzy
12-30-2008, 01:29 AM
Maybe they meant the acoustic version?

holland25
12-30-2008, 02:06 AM
No, I'm sure there is a non-acoustic rerecording, but it hadn't been released yet.

Budzy
12-30-2008, 02:17 AM
No, I'm sure there is a non-acoustic rerecording, but it hadn't been released yet.

That would be sweet.
I wonder if they put the 'Go on' and the 'Oh All' bit in front of the chorus like they did with the acoustic version.

jacknife737
12-30-2008, 02:21 AM

This.

I'm too lazy to look up the journal, but i'm pretty sure Dexter mentioned that it was "more fast paced" then the original.

I'm dying to hear it, but i'm quite sure there hasn't been any further mention of it, since that original journal entry. We can only hope they get around to putting out that b-sides/ rarities album sometime.

randman21
12-30-2008, 03:30 AM
This.

I'm too lazy to look up the journal, but i'm pretty sure Dexter mentioned that it was "more fast paced" then the original.

I remember that the exact term was an "electric" remake. I was all wtf'd because I was thinking he meant electronic. I've never forgotten about it, as I've been dying to hear it. And you're right, it hasn't been mentioned since that journal.

That would be sweet.
I wonder if they put the 'Go on' and the 'Oh All' bit in front of the chorus like they did with the acoustic version.
I REALLY hope not. Heh, I hated that.

Rutegard
12-30-2008, 04:40 AM
I remember that the exact term was an "electric" remake. I was all wtf'd because I was thinking he meant electronic. I've never forgotten about it, as I've been dying to hear it. And you're right, it hasn't been mentioned since that journal.

maybe someone stole it!

Rutegard looks at randman21.....then Budzy....

Budzy
12-30-2008, 04:48 AM
maybe someone stole it!

Rutegard looks at randman21.....then Budzy....

Hehe, all these assumptions and accusations.

Randman: U serious? I liked it.

dff_punk
12-30-2008, 04:58 AM
I have to admit, those "go on" additions to the song really sounded nice, but especially for those who heard that song for the first time in that version. For example, I heard the Ignition version thousands of times and.. now.. in this version it kinda doesn't fit.

Rutegard
12-30-2008, 04:59 AM
Randman: U serious? I liked it.

yes i liked it too, but i guess only in the acoustic one...i suppose....

MAXTER
12-30-2008, 06:56 AM
I don't want a remake of it... I Like This! :rolleyes:

Tijs
12-30-2008, 06:59 AM
I remember that the exact term was an "electric" remake. I was all wtf'd because I was thinking he meant electronic. I've never forgotten about it, as I've been dying to hear it. And you're right, it hasn't been mentioned since that journal.Yup, that's right. I looked it up:

http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/journal?journal=427738

Huntington Beach, CA (Dexter)
02/15/06

Last week I went out of town to meet with a guy who might produce our next record. I thought it went really well. Right now we‘re just kind of in that mode of figuring out what the next record is gonna be like, and writing songs. Why don‘t you guys write in and tell us what you think?

The version of Dirty Magic we recorded last year is an electric version with drums. That song is kind of special to us because it‘s one of those requests we always get from our most hardcore fans. Unfortunately, most people don‘t know the song, cause most people don‘t know our music from before Smash. We always thought that it was a good song, but that we could do a better job recording it now than we could back then. So we did it, and Atom played on it. It sounds great. I‘m not sure if it will come out someday or what. Maybe if you guys are really really nice…

And he first mentioned it here:

http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/journal?journal=427609

02/07/06

Wow, you guys seemed to really enjoy the last post from me. Maybe we really should do this more often. I bugged Noodles a little bit to write something to put up also, but I don‘t think he‘s gotten around to it yet. I tried to tell him how much you guys would like it. Maybe you guys should write in and bug him about it.

Well what‘s up this week? We went back in the demo studio last weekend, just Noodles and I, doing some guitar tracks. It was a blast. It feels good to get back in the studio and do some recording and just be a band, you know? I‘m sure you do if you‘re in a band. We knocked off early because it was Noodles‘ birthday (remember?) and he had some ragin‘ to do.

People are asking us about possibly doing some festivals in Europe this summer, which would be fun, but we thought it would be better to stay home and work on songs for another record. What do you think?

Well, I guess that‘s it for now. Oh yeah, did I tell you guys that we re-recorded Dirty Magic last year?

Dexter.

Tomasisko
12-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Let's make a petition to release this song. (I'm serious)

Alex101
12-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Remember back in one of the old journals, dexter pretty much told us they would release it. But then they never did. I'd forgotten about that until now.
In case you didn't know that, Dexter said in this journal (http://www.offspring.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Offspring.woa/wa/journal?journal=433170) that no re-recordings (including "Dirty Magic") would appear on Rise and Fall and thought this would be cheating. So, the remake of "Dirty Magic" didn't appear on Rise and Fall, and I doubt that it will appear on the next Offspring album, or maybe it will appear on a single as a b-side or a compilation of never-before songs (including "Pass Me By"), whatever.

Oxygene
12-30-2008, 11:12 AM
If atom played on it, don't bet on it being released anytime soon... his contract with whateverthefuck forbids him to release recordings on all but one record label I think..

Rutegard
12-30-2008, 11:30 AM
oh that sucks...didnt they know that when they were re-recording it?!? damn!

Blitzkrieg Bop
12-30-2008, 12:30 PM
If atom played on it, don't bet on it being released anytime soon... his contract with whateverthefuck forbids him to release recordings on all but one record label I think..

It is possible that Atom might have played on it, but maybe Josh Freese helped them out on this one ... so there is still hope for a release

F@ BANKZ
12-30-2008, 12:35 PM
I'd love to hear it. I once made a thread saying that it's prestige was begining to overshadow the rest of Ignition, but I always hoped they'd upload it.

In fact somebody should probably make a request thread for these tracks to be uploaded or released:

-Pass Me By
-Dirty Magic II
-Ring Of Fire
-The other one we heard of from a magazine article that the_offspring_rules, if that's his name, uploaded.
-Anything else the band might consider uploading.

Edit: Light 'Em Up, that's the name!

ernesto88
12-30-2008, 02:39 PM
they must to do a rare songs album!
i never listened talk about dirty magic II! it will be great!!
but, if "offspring" don't go out these songs, they have a reason

cool 2 hate 681
12-30-2008, 04:29 PM

i have heard this also but how do people know what is in his geffen records contract :confused:

Jojan
12-30-2008, 05:34 PM
They're putting out a Greatest hits next year and it might feature on that.

Juan
12-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Let's make a petition to release this song. (I'm serious)

I agree

I want to hear it!! Electric... and drums.... omg have to be amazing.

Biggest offspring fan
12-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Dexter said that they would release it if we where really really nice…

SK8rocka
12-31-2008, 01:21 AM
omfg nice, we've been nice, very vice!!!!!

Oxygene
12-31-2008, 04:44 AM
i have heard this also but how do people know what is in his geffen records contract :confused:

Well I don't know but I guess it's simple: "why did josh freese play on can't repeat not atom"
"well because atom's contract..."

that's pretty much it I think. Why do you think ANYONE would wanna keep that a secret?

ThunderPX
12-31-2008, 06:28 AM
Greg ate the master tape.

findout5
12-31-2008, 07:01 AM
Am I the only one who noticed that the Ignition version is electric? With drums?

SK8rocka
12-31-2008, 07:03 AM
Am I the only one who noticed that the Ignition version is electric? With drums?

i know riight, lol dex was stoned, electric with drums wtf?

SK8rocka
12-31-2008, 07:05 AM

lol thats SOOO Badass.........

Mike_911
12-31-2008, 09:16 AM
Well I don't know but I guess it's simple: "why did josh freese play on can't repeat not atom"
"well because atom's contract..."

that's pretty much it I think. Why do you think ANYONE would wanna keep that a secret?

atom didn't do can't repeat because he couldn't be there.. he did next to you tho..

holland25
12-31-2008, 09:19 AM

That actually happened when Impaled Nazarene were recording their second demo. They got drunk, someone ate the tape, then puked it out. Good old Finnish black metal bands...

Rutegard
12-31-2008, 09:29 AM
they must to do a rare songs album!
i never listened talk about dirty magic II! it will be great!!
but, if "offspring" don't go out these songs, they have a reason

they want us to suffer a lil but more! thats their reason :p
THEY ARE JUST TEASING US

aaaahhhh i love it :)

TheOldMark
12-31-2008, 09:40 AM
Maybe they meant the acoustic version?

That journal came after greatest hits was released. Dexter was probably teasing us, and they'll probably never release it. They have tons of stuff we would jizz our pants to hear but for some reason they don't like releasing that stuff. Remember how long it took to release Mission from God? IMO one of their best songs, only release bc Epitaph went over their head 13 (? Or so) years later. How about all the songs cut from rfrg? We'll probably never hear them.

Oxygene
12-31-2008, 10:57 AM
wow Mark and Mike in the same topic on the same day... wtf, is this the ghost of Offspring past?! :)

TheOldMark
12-31-2008, 01:56 PM
wow Mark and Mike in the same topic on the same day... wtf, is this the ghost of Offspring past?! :)

I also thought it was weird you and mike posted on this, shit I thought you were both dead. I'm just bored at work, posting from my blackberry.

Oxygene
12-31-2008, 02:04 PM
I also thought it was weird you and mike posted on this, shit I thought you were both dead. I'm just bored at work, posting from my blackberry.

No, we're pretty much alive I think :) I've been pretty active.. the bbs is a whole lot better now, the majority of the toolbags are gone (I think they're emo now), and the herd of feminist middle class valley girls seem to be growing up/getting laid so they are a lot less frustrated, the majority of the racist assholes are either gone, or have been told to shut up, so it's a decent place to hang out now =) You can actually talk about the offspring here.. it's amazing :)

But Mike is a lazy fuck :) I'd like to see more of him...

Budzy
12-31-2008, 06:36 PM
No, we're pretty much alive I think :) I've been pretty active.. the bbs is a whole lot better now, the majority of the toolbags are gone (I think they're emo now), and the herd of feminist middle class valley girls seem to be growing up/getting laid so they are a lot less frustrated, the majority of the racist assholes are either gone, or have been told to shut up, so it's a decent place to hang out now =) You can actually talk about the offspring here.. it's amazing :)

This is the first time I've actually heard a member thats been around for a few years COMPLIMENT the BBS nowadays.

Also, I don't get why all these people want a 'Rare Offspring song's album' or a 'B-Sides Album', wouldn't you just prefer it to appear on the next album as actual songs?

Oxygene
12-31-2008, 07:32 PM
This is the first time I've actually heard a member thats been around for a few years COMPLIMENT the BBS nowadays.

Also, I don't get why all these people want a 'Rare Offspring song's album' or a 'B-Sides Album', wouldn't you just prefer it to appear on the next album as actual songs?

"better" is a relative term ;)

KHWHD
12-31-2008, 07:37 PM

Wow.......... can't imagine whom you're talking about. ;)

randman21
12-31-2008, 08:01 PM

Most people wouldn't. I wouldn't mind the Dirty Magic remake being a hidden track or something, but as an actual listed track, I don't think I'd want it. Unless you meant previously recorded songs that we haven't heard yet (such as "Light 'Em Up" which I'd never even heard of until now). I'd understand that.

Wow.......... can't imagine whom you're talking about. ;)
HAHAHA, I don't he's talking about him. I imagine it was even worse before he got here.:D

Budzy
12-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Unless you meant previously recorded songs that we haven't heard yet (such as "Light 'Em Up" which I'd never even heard of until now). I'd understand that.

Yeah thats what i meant.

randman21
12-31-2008, 08:22 PM
I'd understand it, but I have mixed feelings about it for some reason. Before, I really wanted Pass Me By on the new album but now that it's out, I'm glad it wasn't. Dexter has convinced me that it would be cheating. :(

Budzy
12-31-2008, 08:40 PM
I'd understand it, but I have mixed feelings about it for some reason. Before, I really wanted Pass Me By on the new album but now that it's out, I'm glad it wasn't. Dexter has convinced me that it would be cheating. :(

but Pass Me By isn't even a full song, it's only a riff, I'd love it to be on the next album, I don't see how that's cheating. Re-making an old song yes, I understand that, but not a song that hasn't even been released before. They may not have put it on Splinter or RFRG because like Dexter said on a few songs, like TKAA and Me And My Old Lady, sometimes it takes a few years to develop and get a song just the way you want it.

Ryder1234
12-31-2008, 08:47 PM
but Pass Me By isn't even a full song, it's only a riff,

There was an interview with Dexter somewhere, where he played the full song to the interviewer. It's a full song.

EDIT: not an audio or video interview, you still can't hear it anywhere.

Budzy
12-31-2008, 08:52 PM
There was an interview with Dexter somewhere, where he played the full song to the interviewer. It's a full song.

EDIT: not an audio or video interview, you still can't hear it anywhere.

What is with you people and shutting me down lately? Haha.
They'll release it soon, one way or another, it's got too much potential.

randman21
12-31-2008, 09:09 PM
What is with you people and shutting me down lately? Haha.
They'll release it soon, one way or another, it's got too much potential.
Well, you wanted to be noticed.:p

Budzy
12-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Well, you wanted to be noticed.:p

I take it back! Unquote me! :D

SK8rocka
12-31-2008, 11:16 PM
I take it back! Unquote me! :D

how do he do dat?

sebastienfan
01-01-2009, 12:54 PM
02/15/06

Last week I went out of town to meet with a guy who might produce our next record. I thought it went really well. Right now we‘re just kind of in that mode of figuring out what the next record is gonna be like, and writing songs. Why don‘t you guys write in and tell us what you think?

The version of Dirty Magic we recorded last year is an electric version with drums. That song is kind of special to us because it‘s one of those requests we always get from our most hardcore fans. Unfortunately, most people don‘t know the song, cause most people don‘t know our music from before Smash. We always thought that it was a good song, but that we could do a better job recording it now than we could back then. So we did it, and Atom played on it. It sounds great. I‘m not sure if it will come out someday or what. Maybe if you guys are really really nice…

Cock Joke
01-01-2009, 02:11 PM
02/15/06

Awesome and awesome!

_Lost_
01-01-2009, 02:48 PM
omfg nice, we've been nice, very vice!!!!!

i just wanted to quote this to point out the serious lack of truth here.

especially note the barrage of "those of you who hate" threads and such all year.

KrispyNotKrunchy
01-01-2009, 05:11 PM

Of course we (or at least I) would prefer a B-sides album, just because IMO they ARE actual songs, its just that no one has ever heard them. I can't stand that there are oodles of songs I've never heard. Seriously. I also don't understand why, if a band records 20 songs for an album, it is then cut down to 12 (?). I want to hear the other 8!!!

Budzy
01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Of course we (or at least I) would prefer a B-sides album, just because IMO they ARE actual songs, its just that no one has ever heard them. I can't stand that there are oodles of songs I've never heard. Seriously. I also don't understand why, if a band records 20 songs for an album, it is then cut down to 12 (?). I want to hear the other 8!!!

But chances are the other 8 are switched around and transformed into the songs that appear on the next album. Or even just slightly different versions of the songs that did appear on the album.

jacknife737
01-01-2009, 08:29 PM

There is no reason why the band can't release both a proper full length and a B-Sides record; it is not an "either, or" situation.

While it is true that the band does indeed, re-work some tracks; some of which may not fit the "flow" or "feel" of the next album, and will thus remain unreleased. Also, not every single b-side the band has will receive such re-treatment, they will simply be left unreleased, and i'd like to hear them.

Also, there are far more songs out there, then simply b-sides. The band has numerous covers, some of which are even unreleased (ie Ring of Fire). There are some b-sides, such as DUI, Mission From God, and i can only assume a few others that clearly will not be cannibalized or re-worked. Dexter has openly stated that songs like Pass Me By, and the Dirty Magic re-recording will not appear on a proper studio album by the band (remember the "cheating" journal entry); and i'd really like to hear those songs.

I also don't understand why, if a band records 20 songs for an album, it is then cut down to 12 (?).

They demoed 20+ songs, but only recorded 13. We can only hope the return to those songs in some way or another, be it through a rarities album, or should they be reexamined and reworked for their next studio album release.

Budzy
01-01-2009, 09:05 PM
But Pass Me By isn't cheating, no one has actually heard the full song. If they release the song on its own, then yes, it would be cheating if you put it on an album, but they haven't even released the song anywhere, so I don't see why they can't put it on a studio album if they see fit.

KrispyNotKrunchy
01-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I'd love to hear it. I once made a thread saying that it's prestige was begining to overshadow the rest of Ignition, but I always hoped they'd upload it.

In fact somebody should probably make a request thread for these tracks to be uploaded or released:

-Pass Me By
-Dirty Magic II
-Ring Of Fire
-The other one we heard of from a magazine article that the_offspring_rules, if that's his name, uploaded.
-Anything else the band might consider uploading.

Edit: Light 'Em Up, that's the name!

I can't find anything about a song called Light 'Em Up. Are you sure that's right?

Also, do you realize that is only 4 songs that we know of when there are probably anywhere from 20 to 50+ songs. I can't even imagine how awesome it would be to hear even a % of them.

jacknife737
01-01-2009, 09:33 PM
I can't find anything about a song called Light 'Em Up. Are you sure that's right? Also, what are you talking about a song that a magazine article uploaded? If there's songs I haven't heard, I want 'em.

There was a magazine interview (i'm pretty sure, it was just prior to Splinter's release), where Dexter mentioned the song, there has been no further mention of it.

Mike_911
01-02-2009, 09:17 AM

lazy!? i just replied to this ;)

Oxygene
01-02-2009, 09:54 AM
lazy!? i just replied to this ;)

Yeah u ain't around as much as u should be :)